TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

When I went in late May a couple years ago for Coaster Campout I had no complaints. FL+ made just about everything walk-on. Some vendors were closed, most of which were between Maverick and Millennium Force. We had no problems getting food or beer and I don't remember any rides being closed. Then again, the Saturday we went there were scattered showers throughout the day. The day was overcast, chilly enough to buy a hooded sweatshirt, and drizzle off and on. I'm sure that affected crowds.

I should re-word my warning. I, as a local love weekdays in May. I just wanted anyone planning a trip to be aware of what to expect with staffing trends over the past 2-3 seasons. I am 100% not saying avoid it like the plague (Halloweekend Saturdays) I just want anyone traveling and coming in to be aware.

I've held off from posting my thoughts on Steel Vengeance until I felt like I got enough rides on it. I have the RMC sampler coaster, Goliath, at my home park and it's really fun. It really made me more excited to ride the other RMCs in the coming years. I was so happy to see the RMC trucks show up at Mean Streak and I figured the transformed coaster would become my favorite. I loved the construction updates and reading/watching reviews. I tried not to let the hype get to me, but it did. I couldn't help it. Another world class coaster at my favorite park. I rode Steel Vengeance twice last year during the last weekend of Halloweekends. It was raining both times so the feeling of getting stabbed in the face with needles distracted me from the ride experience a bit. It was cold so it wasn't a prime time to ride either. Both times I was underwhelmed and hoped I could get better experiences this year. I rode Steel Vengeance three times last weekend and my first ride was still underwhelming. Yeah it was fun and better than previous rides, but I still didn't have the orgasmic experience most seemed to have. That changed with the following ride and I don't know the reason for it. I guess it doesn't matter. This time the ride had the intensity I expected and the airtime was amazing. That ride made Steel Vengeance dethrone Skyrush to become my favorite coaster. I hoped that ride wasn't a fluke and that future rides would be similar. I got in a night ride as the park closed and had another amazing ride. A kid in front of me freaked out the whole time, which made it even more fun. I couldn't stop laughing. Steel Vengeance has all the things I like about coasters and then some. I'm even more excited now to ride the other RMCs. All hail Alan Schilke, praise be unto him.

With Kings Island's Vortex closing it makes me wonder how much time the point's arrow coasters have left. Are they gonna be in it for the long haul, or are they gonna go the same route? CCMR, Corkscrew, Gemini, Iron Dragon, Magnum. And to think 4 of the 5 are the same age or older than Vortex. I could see Gemini going first as it's been rather unreliable this year from what I've seen. With the exception of Magnum I think the others could go any year. As long as Magnum stays around though I'm happy.

With Kings Island's Vortex closing it makes me wonder how much time the point's arrow coasters have left. Are they gonna be in it for the long haul, or are they gonna go the same route? CCMR, Corkscrew, Gemini, Iron Dragon, Magnum. And to think 4 of the 5 are the same age or older than Vortex. I could see Gemini going first as it's been rather unreliable this year from what I've seen. With the exception of Magnum I think the others could go any year. As long as Magnum stays around though I'm happy.

The difference between Vortex and most of CPs Arrows is that Vortex is painful. The only painful Arrow at CP is Corkscrew. That being said heres the list for the chopping block from most to least likely:

1. Corkscrew

2. CCMR

3. Iron Dragon

4. Gemini

5. Magnum (I really dont see this ride going anywhere, we will see this retracked by Chance Rides before it meets the scrap yard)

The next one to go will actually be Wicked Twister, which according to a friend who worked at the Point this summer will not open for 2020 or if it does will be it’s last season.

RIP another Intamin impulse coaster. Hopefully it will be relocated, but I have doubts.

Does Wicked Twister have lots of maintenance issues? Is it closed often?

I really can't seem them scrapping it unless it's as much of a headache as Volcano was, but then again Cedar Fair is kinda giving zero f**ks lately with their ride removals in the last couple years so they could easily just scrap the ride. That is, assuming it's even on the chopping block. That rumor has been around for years so I'll believe it when I see it I suppose.

I really can't seem them scrapping it unless it's as much of a headache as Volcano was, but then again Cedar Fair is kinda giving zero f**ks lately with their ride removals in the last couple years so they could easily just scrap the ride. That is, assuming it's even on the chopping block. That rumor has been around for years so I'll believe it when I see it I suppose.

Its more reliable than TTD if that says anything. IMO if WT is removed I can see it being moved to a smaller park like CGA or Michigans Adventure.

I've never 'seen' it down for maintenance, which doesn't mean much. We never pay attention to it. Vertical Velocity's straight rear spike is so much more interesting to me. I get a better perspective of just watching the ground shoot away from me before free falling back toward it. I do miss the holding brake. It was sinister and scared the F*** out of riders. Screams of terror vs. screams of joy added a different kind of character to it.

Wicked Twister leaving wouldn't be a bad thing as long as they utilize the beach. My guess is that the area would be used less for rides and more for an area to relax and enjoy the beach view. I could see some version of a patio restaurant/bar there.

The idea is laughable with the long standing rumor of WT getting removed, anyway. My thoughts will probably be wasted and worthless, as per usual. Consistency is comforting.

I'm sure worlds of fun guests wouldn't mind it. Straighten that rear spike out and I'd even be tempted to take a trip back to KC.

I've been dreaming of this since the start of this rumor years ago, especially since Wicked Twister is one of my favorite rides of all time and Dorney Park and Valleyfair (the two most comparable parks in the chain) have impulse coasters. It's the perfect fit for a park that hasn't gotten a coaster in 10 years and likely won't see any ground-up major investment, and it fills the launch coaster gap. However, Wicked Twister is only good for that twisted back spike. Take out the back spike and it means nothing to me anymore; I could then care less if the ride is scrapped because at the point the ride is dead to me. There are five other Impulse coasters with vertical rear spikes you can go ride if you wanted, but none other that have an awesome back spike that sends you screaming up backwards into some blissful laterals and then gives you an unobstructed view straight down 200ft.

The ride has serious problems with the sensors and resetting itself in the station and cost a lot to run each cycle. If it's relocated it's going to need a serious overall of the operating system. I can foresee CF justify the expense to have someone like IOE come in and overhaul the system if it's relocated (as in the grand scheme of things it would still be a good, cheap investment for another park) but I can also see them just wanting to be done with the ride and no other park wanting to spend the money operating it.

I also fear them relocating it to CGA since they have an Intamin Impulse coaster in their master plan, in which case I'll get to ride it less frequently than I already do. Please Cedar Fair, Worlds of Fun will take it!

Edited by RollerManic

I agree, but to each their own. I understand where he's coming from. Mr. Freeze was dead to me for a while when they converted the trains to launch facing backward. Which I just realized ironically now has the same feature I love about Vertical Velocity.

I've never 'seen' it down for maintenance, which doesn't mean much. We never pay attention to it. Vertical Velocity's straight rear spike is so much more interesting to me. I get a better perspective of just watching the ground shoot away from me before free falling back toward it. I do miss the holding brake. It was sinister and scared the F*** out of riders. Screams of terror vs. screams of joy added a different kind of character to it.

Valleyfair - "Haha, got your holding break"