TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Crowds have shifted at CP the past few years. You can basically go anytime in May, June or July now and it's never THAT bad. But come late August through October, good luck.

With the pass promotions (including free fastlane), bring a friend free, Halloweekends, etc... Even the glorious Fridays in September are thing of the past unless weather is bad. Sundays are picking up as well, as those ticket and free fastlanes are only available Fri/Sun for use. They have filled up what used to be their slower days.

I miss those dead Halloweekends Friday's! Could always count on a dead park... Easily my absolute favorite times to go to CP. Now, as an example, last year the second Friday during Halloweekends I believe it was, I had to turn around and go home as the wait to get into the park was across the entire damn causeway! In the past, you would be surprised if the lot was more than maybe half full.

Good for the park, though!

My friends and I go to the park 2-3 times a week and really think the jump in crowds is because of the gold pass. $99 for the rest of this season plus all of next season? That's a steal. Plenty of people who buy tickets and visit say, once in the summer and once in the fall will grab that pass and start going 3 or 4 times a year. And they are selling those things like mad. I see a ton of people carrying them around already and the ads for the gold pass are on the same level as twix ads in Six Flags parks.

Definitely great business for the park. Sucks for the regulars who don't usually deal with the crowds but if all the extra attendance is gonna pay for more and more new coasters I am all for it.

I can verify that the Gold Pass is having an impact! Even up here in mid-michigan, I was buying some some stuff at Aldi the other day, and the checkout guy saw my CP shirt and excitedly asked me if I'd heard about the Gold Pass! He had apparently already purchased one for himself, and his wife and kid. I responded that I had, but had splurged on Platinum Passes for myself and my kids! Still, it was a clear sign that the Gold Pass is really resonating with your average, everyman park-goer!

^^To emphasize your point, on the day that I went, the park was already crowded by 9:30. It got slightly more crowded after opening, but it seemed like most of the people at the park that day were gold or platinum passholders who also took advantage of early entry. If you go 2-3 times a week I'm sure you see similar patterns.

But this is what the park wanted. Pretty much all the chains are trying to put a greater emphasis on season pass sales to boost revenue. From what I understand in my limited knowledge of theme park economics, most of the profit comes from food/game/merch sales inside of the parks rather than from admissions, so it's better for the parks financially to get more foot traffic inside the gates rather than charge more for admission. Season passes have exactly that effect--cheaper admission in the long run, and higher attendance.

^^To emphasize your point, on the day that I went, the park was already crowded by 9:30. It got slightly more crowded after opening, but it seemed like most of the people at the park that day were gold or platinum passholders who also took advantage of early entry. If you go 2-3 times a week I'm sure you see similar patterns.

But this is what the park wanted. Pretty much all the chains are trying to put a greater emphasis on season pass sales to boost revenue. From what I understand in my limited knowledge of theme park economics, most of the profit comes from food/game/merch sales inside of the parks rather than from admissions, so it's better for the parks financially to get more foot traffic inside the gates rather than charge more for admission. Season passes have exactly that effect--cheaper admission in the long run, and higher attendance.

That's exactly how it works. with passes vs daily admissions. Sacrifice a quarter to make a dollar.

CF doesn't report attendance other than a % increase or decrease over previous periods. But they do emphasis in-park spending as well as resort revenue. While CF isn't giving away the gate like SF did in the past the key thing is get people in the park and let them spend on food/drinks etc. Lots of profit margin on a $5 coke that's about 25 cents worth of soda and cup.

I see Steel Vengeance is back up. It was down, with a train stuck at the bottom of the lift, all day yesterday and was still down when I stopped watching a little after noon today. I didn't get to ride it. Strategically, I made an error in not getting in line just before close on Sunday night, but was tired and did get a MF night ride, plus it might have gone down then. TTD and Maverick seemed to be the troublemakers until that happened, and I did get to ride them. Should have considered trying to stay in town until early entry today, but really would have felt dumb if I still left before it ran and overall am just happy to be back home ... coulda shoulda but at least the driving's done.

I think this park sort of breaks the idea that fastpass has minimal impact on guests without it. It's more of a tier system by ride. If Wicked Twister has a line back to the merge point (at least 45 minutes) you should probably just leave. But every more popular coaster from Raptor up has a tremendous posted wait because the merge point is near or at the station, or Gatekeeper splits at the entrance by side of the coaster, and up to half the throughput is devoted to Fast Lane. And even with FL, I ended up not taking a second ride on TTD as the FL line became longer than my desire to ride it again in the time available.

P.S. I think "anonymous user" on queue-times has Fast lane.

I miss those dead Halloweekends Friday's! Could always count on a dead park...

I see what you did there.

But in all honesty I was thinking of going to the park on a Friday for Halloweekends but now this is making me second guess as I wouldn't be able to splurge for FL+ if I did go. Maybe I'll just have to make it more of a point to go in the Spring next year.

What was the price difference between last year and this year on Gold Pass? I've gotten a Platinum since moving to Ohio and I don't think that's been too different in price the last couple of years.

What was the price difference between last year and this year on Gold Pass? I've gotten a Platinum since moving to Ohio and I don't think that's been too different in price the last couple of years.

There was no CP Gold Pass last year (2019). There was the regular season pass which didn't include parking, early entry, or perks; or the Platinum Pass.

No. According to Tony's Twitter he took a picture of a Baynum Painting travel mug in front of a ride that they painted and said absolutely nothing else.

Oh come on.... I know you, of all people, know that ANY time Tony tweets.... You have to really read between the lines to figure out the hidden message he is required to be saying!

Maybe he just wanted to let everyone know that he's a big fan of insulated coffee mugs.

Quick - which coaster do you all think could benefit the most from the latest, greatest, cutting-edge Thermos technology?

Hello. I am thinking of going to CP this upcoming sunday. How slammed will it be. I am going for the coasters and rides, not the mazes and scarezones. (though i do love Halloween) Im assuming its going to be pretty mobbed? I am just looking for advice on when the best time to go is for halloweekends and then the regular season next may.

General Halloweekends advice:

Traditionally (and keeping the tradition alive), we have always gone the first Sunday of Halloweekends. Lines up at the front of the park (gatekeeper, raptor) were not existent after 3-4pm (right around the time the houses open up). Lines were always super manageable all day compared to any normal summer. Houses when they open at 4PM were always 15 min or less each and we'd get through ALL of them in less than 2 hours.

Last year I remember it being more crowded than previous years.

That being said, my prediction is this year is going to be pretty crowded even on Sunday (all those people with gold passes PLUS the free fast lane that comes along with all of them) I have a feeling it's not going to be like previous years.

That being said, as the season gets deeper into Halloween, it's only going to get even worse, so if you have an option I would highly recommend this Sunday. You may feel it's crowded, but honestly, it's going to be WAY WORSE as the weekends go on. And it will be way less crowded than Saturday.

Sundays are great. You will miss out on scare zones and cornstalkers (2.0) because the park isn't open late, but I'd rather deal with smaller waits than deal with Saturdays. Even with Fright Lane and Fast Lane expect long waits on Saturdays. Columbus Day weekend Saturday is traditionally the worst day/time of the year to go for Halloweekends and onwards is just as bad.

**If** you are staying until park close on a Halloweekends Saturday, I recommend parking as close to the exit as you can, and don't even think about the Shores parking lot -- even if you get there at opening, don't be tempted to park up close.... -- you've been warned.

I have no experience with Friday nights but have heard that in the past it's a great time to do the rides with minimal waits. This may be a better option if you're only looking to do rides.... but again, no personal experience there.