TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Zach..... I totally forgot to tell you that I tried your tight seatbelt, loose lap bar trick for Magnum and we rode in the second to last car so we weren't over the wheel. It worked really well, no bruised thighs this time around and we went back and did a night ride on Magnum which was really nice since it goes down by the beach. Closest thing CP really has to a coaster that goes out into the deep dark woods.

Haha. Glad you liked it. That's Bill's tip, though. It worked good for Emily and I also!

I'm the front row/middle car/butt back/lean forward on The Boss advice guy! (I hate myself for thinking that much into it.)

Oh my bad! Thank you to Bill in that case! The Boss never actually bothered me and I miss the helix, but Magnum gave me bruises on my thighs until I tried the "trick".

Bert told me of "the trick" on our visit in 2017. So thanks to Bill, too!

It made it so much easier for Magnum re-rides. Which we actually did!

IMG_3988.JPG.2c2f0f6313bf8710d04197ce518931e0.JPG

Bert on the Witches Wheel (RIP). June 4, 2017. I declined, riding it.

You know........maybe that's where I heard it. From Bert when we hung out at SFSTl, we were talking about Zach's Boss trick and now I'm kinda thinking that was all part of the same conversation. Bert did I get that from you? I can't remember now. Sucks to get old.

I'm 90% sure their weren't ticket booths at the Beach entrance during my visit this summer. I recall them being pretty bare, just there to let people in and out. I'm not even sure if there was someone consistently there to stamp hands in all my trips through it.

You can buy tickets there, I redeemed my Bring A Friend passes last year there.

I'm 90% sure their weren't ticket booths at the Beach entrance during my visit this summer. I recall them being pretty bare, just there to let people in and out. I'm not even sure if there was someone consistently there to stamp hands in all my trips through it.

You can buy tickets there, I redeemed my Bring A Friend passes last year there.

Looks like they are changing to membership models for 2020. Anyone else know more?

Where are you seeing this, super-new user?

Got this e-mail today.

Loyal Cedar Point Season Pass guest,

You had previously signed up for our Season Pass Auto-Renewal program. We are writing to notify you that the Cedar Point Season Pass Auto-Renewal Program will not be in effect for the 2020 season. Your 2019 Season or Platinum Pass will not auto-renew to a 2020 Season or Platinum Pass this August. No action is required of you at this time.

In order to renew your Season or Platinum Pass for the 2020 season, please visit cedarpoint.com once our 2020 passes go on sale.

Continue to watch your email for exciting news and updates regarding our 2020 season pass program and get ready to unlock a new season of fun at A Place Like No Other™.

Sincerely,

The Cedar Point Team

Memberships don’t make any sense at a park that’s only open half the year.

This was my first thought as well. If Cedar Fair were to roll out membership programs, I would expect it to work very well at Knott's as well as their almost-year-round parks like CGA or Carowinds. But Cedar Point is open 6 months of the year, so I am interested to see their approach to this.

Memberships don’t make any sense at a park that’s only open half the year.

Does that really matter when it's about perceived value? The low monthly cost vs a high up front cost? I made the decision to get a SF membership cause to me they're dirt cheap (especially the lowest tier that still includes parking) and I live 4 hours from the closest SF park. A park which wasn't even in the chain at the time of getting my membership.

There will be plenty of people who go the membership route if it fits in better with their lifestyle, finances, etc regardless of the parks operating calendar. It's about getting 12 months of incoming revenue and not 6.

If this is about a membership program I know I'll definitely look into it and weigh my options and see what's better for me personally.

I just got this email from Carowinds regarding my platinum pass auto-renewal:

Starting September 4th, your Carowinds pass(es) are scheduled to Auto-Renew for the 2020 season at the Lowest Price of the Season* - to get another full year of unbeatable fun hassle free!

I see nothing in the CP e-mail above that would point to a membership program.

Not billing people who gave you expressed written consent to bill them indefinitely until the end of time is generally a poor decision. Even Six Flags kept billing people who bought their old, busted auto-renew passes and they still do. SeaWorld at one point said that they would do this but then immediately realized what they did and changed their minds. They still bill us for our old and busted paper platinum passes.

If this is about memberships and not something buried in the terms and conditions that they want to change, they might quickly re-think it like SeaWorld did.

Memberships are an awesome idea, but so is billing people who already gave you permission to keep charging their cards forever. People like us will be proactive and switch, but a lot of people won’t and the park will then need to spend money to acquire customers that they already had. It also gives people an opportunity to evaluate whether or not they actually want the passes and opt-out. In the past, many of those people would have just forgot about it until it auto-renewed and locked them in for another year (and then repeat process).

There's the possibility that Cedar Fair is going to revamp doing passes so that Platinum Passes aren't the same price at Michigan's Adventure as they are Cedar Point or outright do away with "platinum passes" in favor of some new series of top tiers.

Their passholder base there is pretty low, so I can't imagine its to add a membership model either. Wrong park to do it at.

I just got an email from Wonderland saying my auto renewal starts in September. It looks like it's Cedar Point is the only one changing anything.

As far as Platinum pass holders being low, the biggest reason I see is cause they don't advertise it. Anyone I talk to when I go to Wonderland have no idea that the Platinum pass exists or that Cedar Point is included in the pass

I just got an email from Wonderland saying my auto renewal starts in September. It looks like it's Cedar Point is the only one changing anything.

As far as Platinum pass holders being low, the biggest reason I see is cause they don't advertise it. Anyone I talk to when I go to Wonderland have no idea that the Platinum pass exists or that Cedar Point is included in the pass

What I meant is that Cedar Point's passholder base is low, and that's because the two markets it draws most from are each at least an hour away.

Headed to the park tomorrow. I planned on getting fastlane plus which was $155 and of course I procrastinated and it’s now $169 which is the most I’ve ever seen it. Is there any chance of the price going back down or should I just get it now? What’s the most expensive it’s ever been?

Does that really matter when it's about perceived value? The low monthly cost vs a high up front cost? I made the decision to get a SF membership cause to me they're dirt cheap (especially the lowest tier that still includes parking) and I live 4 hours from the closest SF park. A park which wasn't even in the chain at the time of getting my membership.

I'm holding on to my SF membership because, despite being 6 hours from the nearest park, I seem to find myself travelling to places a couple of times a year that have one in the chain close by.

FWIW, Cedar Fair trademarked "Pass Perks". The TM doesn't mean much given they will apply whatever categories they think they might need, so don;t read too much into the 'loyalty program' category they have used. Overall they may just need to tweak the T&Cs or it could be a complete change. It is entirely possible that different state laws (and federal given the CW member comment) may require them to handle auto renewals differently based on your 'home park'.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4806:5xwjnk.2.1