TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I’m going for the first time ever tomorrow. Opening to closing with Fast Lane Plus. Is it possible to park in water park lot and get in the Magnum entrance? I forget the tips and if they stop allowing you to park there after a certain time.

You can get there from the front lot now that the "boardwalk" has been built, so nah, they won't let you back there if you aren't going to the water park.

This seems to have changed back to allowing anyone to use that back lot. I have yet to be stopped or asked on my way back there. I haven't heard of anyone being turned away this season for not being a CPS guest. And I've parked there each time on my 6 visits and have yet to step foot inside the waterpark.

I think normalcy is a game and weird as anyone, but I guess we need some of it. Plus, most people have their own interests and "thing". But its not just that. I expect many adults have little idea how much coasters have progressed. It was simply impossible to ride this stuff when I was a kid, by many decades. It's amazing how many people when I mention Kings Dominion immediately talk about the Time Shaft. The last time they went there it was still open! And even then it wasn't the most memorable ride in the park except for puking.

I expect the first thing most adults think of about amusement parks is hot, crowded and expensive, none of which it has to be. If they went with their kids and enjoyed it, it was because of them because it still was hot, crowded and expensive.

^Hah! Dude, you're so right! My local park is SFSTL and the most technologically advanced roller coaster added was in 1998 when Mr. Freeze opened. That was around the time when parks would just randomly plop down expensive rides with little thought of the atmosphere, so that's the impression people have of parks in my area. Many haven't been in 10 years and they have stories about Screaming Eagle.

It's hard to explain to them why we visit. Everything they remember is about "thrills." People used to share sky diving crap and other extreme rides on my facebook wall saying, "Would you do this?" I think there's a misconception that we're thrill junkies, when really we like to relax and have a good time. I don't get a lot of adrenaline from rides.

I don't really talk about parks with co-workers or other friends. When people ask about our trips I mostly talk about the nearby cities we visited, since people can relate to that kind of exploration. If they ask about the parks I usually just tell them it was fun. When I try to explain anything I can tell they don't care or get it and when I explain further it just makes me sound like a dork. It's like talking about cars with someone who has little to no interest in cars. Don't torture people.

I go to parks all the time alone, and have no issue doing it.

however, I DO try to watch myself when chatting with others in line around me (as I often get into conversations with folks around me in lines). But I don't want to be *that* guy, so while I might recommend a ride in the park as fun, I don't go into details about which seat to ride in, or why a B&M is best in the back, or any of that stuff.

I've been stuck next to *that* guy before, and it's not fun. . so I try to not be that guy!

Don’t really do trip reports but this was my first time ever at the park after wanting to go for 19 years. Bought FLP immediately and this is my ride count in order of how I rode them from 10am-12:15am

Top Thrill Dragster: 1x (F)‬

‪Steel Vengeance: 2x (FB)‬

‪Maverick: 1x (F)‬

‪Skyhawk: 1x‬

‪Millennium Force: 1x (B)‬

‪Rougarou: 1x (F)‬

Raptor: 2x (FB)

‪Gatekeeper: 4x (FBLR)‬

‪Wicked Twister: 1x

‪MaxAir: 1x‬

Power Tower: 2x (Red & Blue)

‪Corkscrew: 1x‬

‪Cedar Downs: 1x‬

‪Scrambler: 1x‬

‪Blue Streak: 1x‬

‪Valravn: 2x FB‬

‪Magnum XL-200: 1x (MS)‬

‪Gemini: 2x (Red B & Blue F stuck)‬

‪Cedar Creek Mine Ride: 1x‬

‪Maverick: 1x (B)‬

‪Iron Dragon: 1x‬

‪Millennium Force: 1x (F BUGS OMG)‬

‪Magnum XL-200: 1x (MSN)‬

‪Steel Vengeance: 1x (back night OMFG)‬

‪Maverick: 3x (FB2)‬

‪Steel Vengeance: 1x (B)‬

‪Top Thrill Dragster: 1x (F)‬

‪Millennium Force: 1x (BLROT)

First morning rides on Vengeance were kind of underwhelming. I tied it with Toro as my #1 because I was expecting more but it was fantastic. At night the beast inside woke up and it demolished Toro 14 ways from Sunday. My jaw was on the floor. After 13 years Toro finally lost it’s throne as my favorite of all time.

Abbreviation meanings:

F: Front

B: Back

L: Left

R: Right

LROT: Last Ride Of The Night

MSN: Magic Seat (Night)

Photos:

IMG-2098.jpg

IMG-2100.jpg

IMG-2107.jpg

IMG-2109.jpg

IMG-2117.jpg

IMG-2133.jpg

IMG-2137.jpg

IMG-2147.jpg

Edited by B&MIntaminGCI

Great photos!

It has officially been two years since I last visited this park. Seeing those photos really makes me want to go back! I suppose with Kings Island getting their giga next year (plus having not ridden Steel Vengeance yet), an Ohio trip next summer might be on my radar.

I’m going for the first time ever tomorrow. Opening to closing with Fast Lane Plus. Is it possible to park in water park lot and get in the Magnum entrance? I forget the tips and if they stop allowing you to park there after a certain time.

You can get there from the front lot now that the "boardwalk" has been built, so nah, they won't let you back there if you aren't going to the water park.

This seems to have changed back to allowing anyone to use that back lot. I have yet to be stopped or asked on my way back there. I haven't heard of anyone being turned away this season for not being a CPS guest. And I've parked there each time on my 6 visits and have yet to step foot inside the waterpark.

On my last Cedar Point trip, I was directed to the back parking lot in the early afternoon. However, that put me in good position to ride Magnum on my way in and on my way out.

Zach..... I totally forgot to tell you that I tried your tight seatbelt, loose lap bar trick for Magnum and we rode in the second to last car so we weren't over the wheel. It worked really well, no bruised thighs this time around and we went back and did a night ride on Magnum which was really nice since it goes down by the beach. Closest thing CP really has to a coaster that goes out into the deep dark woods.

Apparently the entire value of FL+ is tied to Steel Vengeance according to the Karen in the comments on Twitter

FL+ appears very valuable today as according to queue-times.com, Maverick, Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, and Valravn are all pulling 90+ minute waits. Also, several rides that usually don't have much in the way of lines, such as Corkscrew, Gemini, Iron Dragon (which doesn't have Fast Lane), Magnum, and Rougarou, are each pulling around 45 minutes.

Don’t really do trip reports but this was my first time ever at the park after wanting to go for 19 years.

glad you had such a great time, and looks like you had incredible weather for it.

nice pics.

only one ride on Cedar Downs tho? . . my favorite flat in the park.

(and it's best if you're a bit buzzed. . shhhhhh)

Apparently the entire value of FL+ is tied to Steel Vengeance according to the Karen in the comments on Twitter

FL+ appears very valuable today as according to queue-times.com, Maverick, Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, and Valravn are all pulling 90+ minute waits. Also, several rides that usually don't have much in the way of lines, such as Corkscrew, Gemini, Iron Dragon (which doesn't have Fast Lane), Magnum, and Rougarou, are each pulling around 45 minutes.

Yep... I'd have gotten my $$$ worth by using it, but it gave an inch, so Karen is gonna Karen the hell out of it and try and take a mile...

Just her wording she used and the fact that she had a 48"+ kid with her made her fit the stereotype to a T so I had to point it out

Zach..... I totally forgot to tell you that I tried your tight seatbelt, loose lap bar trick for Magnum and we rode in the second to last car so we weren't over the wheel. It worked really well, no bruised thighs this time around and we went back and did a night ride on Magnum which was really nice since it goes down by the beach. Closest thing CP really has to a coaster that goes out into the deep dark woods.

Haha. Glad you liked it. That's Bill's tip, though. It worked good for Emily and I also!

I'm the front row/middle car/butt back/lean forward on The Boss advice guy! (I hate myself for thinking that much into it.)

On my last Cedar Point trip, I was directed to the back parking lot in the early afternoon. However, that put me in good position to ride Magnum on my way in and on my way out.

So is the verdict yes or no on doing this? Going open the close probably next week and itd be convenient. Want to take the kids on their first hyper before they go on their first giga. But I also have Groupon vouchers so might have to go to the main gate anyways.

^ Yeah, you'll need to go to the main gate. None of the other gates have any sort of services, just someone to scan tickets/passes and stamp for re-entry.

I always recommend people park in the main parking lot and walk along the beach to the Magnum gate. It's really beautiful early in the morning. Not a super long walk, just get there early enough you don't have to rush.

Anybody watching The Boys on Amazon Prime?

SPOILER ALERT!!! (not really crucial to plot line): In the Episode where The Deep (think Aquaman-ish character) gets busted down to Sandusky, Ohio, his new handler tells him that they have the biggest roller coaster park in the whole U.S. of A., Cedar Point. Later, when a girl asks him if he likes roller coasters, he says he's more of a water park guy. To which she replies, "Well Cedar Point's got both"

Favorite lines from the handler: "Not much crime in Sandusky. I mean, we're not a shithole like Akron."

^ Yeah, you'll need to go to the main gate. None of the other gates have any sort of services, just someone to scan tickets/passes and stamp for re-entry.

I always recommend people park in the main parking lot and walk along the beach to the Magnum gate. It's really beautiful early in the morning. Not a super long walk, just get there early enough you don't have to rush.

I'm not positive about the beach and marina, but I most definitely saw a ticket booth at the resort gate this year. I know for sure the beach and marina gates had ticket booths at one point, but I haven't payed attention to them this year (Though I don't see why there wouldn't be. I would think they want to have every opportunity to take people's money money money!).

You can purchase tickets at the Marina gate and Magnum gate (not sure about by Windseeker).

Not sure about pass processing as it's just electronically attaching your photo to the account.

I'm 90% sure their weren't ticket booths at the Beach entrance during my visit this summer. I recall them being pretty bare, just there to let people in and out. I'm not even sure if there was someone consistently there to stamp hands in all my trips through it.