TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Famous Dave's is apparently open again for now after closing for high water... no wait for a table but you're going to have to earn it.

D--ViVNXUAED5oj.jpg

D--VjW7XUAAcUs4.jpg

D--VkdsXsAUzjvf.jpg

Source: CP Food Blog

Oh it’s totally under now? When I was there a few weeks ago the walkways weren’t under yet. Only the parking lot was. Dang this rain this year has been insane!

Things were a little more normal around the park today. The train was back running (it was down Sunday due to water) and the beach at Breakers was at least partially accessible. Still lots of water around parking lots for some of the employee housing. Valravyn was doing more testing this morning but still not open.

apparently Famous Dave's was open even in the flood waters. I wonder how many Health violations were broken here?

not sure how true it is, but some people are saying that they were having guests taking their shoes off as entering the restaurant.

FB_IMG_1562619042153.thumb.jpg.9042d6d5333f00f9a500dc6ab467d6ea.jpg

Not sure who took this picture, as it's been shared on social media all over the place.

Cannot believe they actually opened the place. Based on the photos it totally should be closed. Sucks to see it like this, it’s my favorite place to eat at when i’m at the park since it’s always dead in there, even on busy Saturdays!

I'm not surprised it's dead on busy days, people would rather spend $15 for one meal at Chick-fil-A over getting tickets for Frontier Festival. For some reason the sit down restaurants never seem to be crazy busy. I love it cause I never have to wait for a table. I like taking a break from the heat in air conditioning.

I'm not surprised it's dead on busy days, people would rather spend $15 for one meal at Chick-fil-A over getting tickets for Frontier Festival. For some reason the sit down restaurants never seem to be crazy busy. I love it cause I never have to wait for a table. I like taking a break from the heat in air conditioning.

I wonder how many people in the park are simply aware of Dave's! I admit that it just hasn't crossed my mind during my last few visits -- and I'd probably prefer eating there to standard park food. I've been to Bay Harbor while staying at Breakers, but if I visit for just one day and park in the main lot, it hasn't occurred to me to exit the park on the marina side. I'll gladly go to Dave's on my next trip (hopefully flood-free).

"Well, I guess we just wait in this long line for chicken tenders" seems like what people are conditioned to do at a park, versus, "Hey, let's leave by the marina and see if any overlooked restaurants are directly outside the side gate."

It is a mantra: Famous Dave's ~ Famous Dave's ~ Famous Dave's...

...and then go riding things, again.

IMG_3969.JPG.65bc700ab5464c557d91fd22d8903f05.JPG

My plate at FD's. Yum. June 04/17. Leftovers. Yum.

^ Here's the menu pricing I paid, in my 2017 visit. Obviously prices could have increased by now. But here.

And worth every dollar spent for it. And I'm Canadian, too!

IMG_3965.JPG.5cc41baef30fc082e60fdb9146197b14.JPG

I had the half slab. Hence, the "leftovers." Yum. (o;

I still maintain that Famous Dave's is not actually good barbecue, just good for Ohio. But then I live within four hours of Kansas City, St. Louis, and Memphis.

Seriously, if'n y'all haven't been, go check out Q39, Jack Stack, or Gates in KC. Go check out Bogart's or Sugarfire in St. Louis. Go check out Leonard's or Central in Memphis. Now those are good BBQ.

But by all means, when you're at Cedar Point, go to Famous Dave's. Just realize that it only stands out because of the mediocrity of its competition.

I still maintain that Famous Dave's is not actually good barbecue, just good for Ohio.

As a resident of Ohio I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Ohio is lacking in good to great BBQ. It's getting better with places like Mabel's (Iron Chef and Cleveland native Michel Symon owned) in Cleveland and a small local chain called Oak & Ember. But for the most part Ohio and especially northern Ohio is lacking in good BBQ.

I still maintain that Famous Dave's is not actually good barbecue, just good for Ohio. But then I live within four hours of Kansas City, St. Louis, and Memphis.

Seriously, if'n y'all haven't been, go check out Q39, Jack Stack, or Gates in KC. Go check out Bogart's or Sugarfire in St. Louis. Go check out Leonard's or Central in Memphis. Now those are good BBQ.

But by all means, when you're at Cedar Point, go to Famous Dave's. Just realize that it only stands out because of the mediocrity of its competition.

Agreed, Famous Daves is OK if there aren't other choices. I'm not crazy about "Cleveland style" BBQ which I tried in Cleveland on one of my visits. I actually thought the brisket at BackBeatQ was better than FD.

I'm within four hours of KC and STL as well and I always visit Q39 in KC. Same with Bogarts in STL.

Ok...Back to coasters........

Lol if you want "Cleveland Style" BBQ (is that a thing?) you can go check out some of the places on the east side, in semi-sketchy neighborhoods, like Hot Sauce Williams, Open Pit, B&M.

One that is really good is on the westside, not to far off of I-90 if you are driving through to CP. Bubba's Q is pretty damn good and worth the stop if you have the time.

But let's be honest, if you want good BBQ and you came to Cleveland you went the wrong way. A great corned beef sandwich or some pierogies? Sure we can help you out with that.

I had some awesome burnt ends at Cedar Point once but it was from a food truck.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm talking up Famous Dave's because the food is "OMFG Amazing", but it's good and if I went to a random strip mall and paid the same price it would be "fine". We love Famous Dave's for the location and because Cedar Point's food in the park is all sh*t expect for Panda Express which always has a stupid long line and (maybe) BackBeatQue. Melt is probably good but I could never eat that and not regret it a few hours later.

But yeah... we like Famous Dave's because you get to chill in the marina, have some drinks and watch the boats and Millennium Force go by. If you sit inside, you're doing it wrong and you should feel bad. BackBeatQue would have to be amazingly good for me to eat there instead because Famous Dave's has such a great location.

Here's the view from the patio, BackBeatQue can suck it.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.af807b18df474ffe6358b091ff7433fe.jpg

From Tripadvisor

Melt is probably good but I could never eat that and not regret it a few hours later.

But yeah... we like Famous Dave's because you get to chill in the marina, have some drinks and watch the boats and Millennium Force go by.

Yep, exactly right, on both counts. Although the beer selection at Melt is pretty great.