TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Gobbler's Getaway always holds a line and I've never ridden when something has malfunctioned. Even if Cedar Point opened a proven tech Sally dark ride they wouldn't maintain it. I think Cedar Fair outsources their dark ride maintenance to Six Flags.

Yeah... I wouldn't put much faith in a Facebook user's announcement. There's no reason to just shut a ride down for the season. They're shutting the ride down until the issue is fixed, which could be next week or next season.

^

This. If there's something broken it will be fixed ASAP. That maybe some weeks, but I don't see them closing a ride for the season just because it had a mechanical failure that caused an oopsie.

The fact that Steel Vengeance reopened the same day (with 1 train) after a bump should show this isn't a season long closure unless officially announced by the park.

Since it's been as long as its been it's obviously not an easy fix. But I don't see CP keeping a marquee attraction closed all season if they can get it open it repaired, recertified by the state if required and ready to go, it'll open. Even if it's closing weekend.

Until something is officially announced by the park I'll file this in the "fake news" bin! lol

The fact that Steel Vengeance reopened the same day (with 1 train) after a bump should show this isn't a season long closure unless officially announced by the park.

This.

Didn't Steel Vengeance chuck a drive tire at one point last year and reopen later in the day?

To me, the only thing that would keep Valravn down for any extended period of time would be if the loading platform was damaged and they had to replace it. I can't imagine they just have replacements laying around for that and I also imagine that's something they can order and have it done quickly.

Boring update time:

Cedar Point to purchase Sawmill?

If you're not familiar, it's a resort a few miles east of the Park on Rt. 6, with a golf course and lake access. It's a pretty large chunk of property. Like a lot of things in the area, it's best days are behind it and needs a pretty significant amount of renovations.

Rumor has it that they only bought this place so they have the rights for the name "Sawmill" which will be the name of the 2020 Aquatrax coaster for their anniversary. The resort refused to allow them to use the name, so they played monopoly and bought the whole shithole just to show who has the bigger balls.

Rumor has it that they only bought this place so they have the rights for the name "Sawmill" which will be the name of the 2020 Aquatrax coaster for their anniversary. The resort refused to allow them to use the name, so they played monopoly and bought the whole shithole just to show who has the bigger balls.

Cedar Fair's public relations release regarding the acquisition of Sawmill Creek. Cedar Fair plans to upgrade rooms, facilities and infrastructure at the resort

Key facts and insights:

About 5 miles from Cedar Point (Sports Force Parks is about halfway between Sawmill and CP)

225 acres, with 28 acres on the waterfront (50 undeveloped acres)

A fifth hotel with 236 rooms include 3 restaurants, golf course, conference center

A second marina

half mile long beach

The Shops at Sawmill Creek

11165211_1100577603315842_6389810181741134430_o.thumb.jpg.7cdc1e8c80549c3c038243e14293797d.jpg

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cedar-fair-acquires-sawmill-creek-100000441.html

Cedar Fair Acquires Sawmill Creek Resort Located Within Minutes of Its Flagship Amusement Park Cedar Point

Business Wire•July 3, 2019

SANDUSKY, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (FUN), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and immersive entertainment, today announced it has acquired Sawmill Creek Resort located in Huron, Ohio. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Commenting on the acquisition, Cedar Fair President and CEO Richard Zimmermann said, “We are excited about the opportunity to add Sawmill Creek to our growing portfolio of resort properties serving Cedar Point, Cedar Point Shores Waterpark and the Cedar Point Sports Center, which is currently being expanded to include an indoor sports facility. Along with Hotel Breakers, Cedar Point’s Express Hotel, Castaway Bay Indoor Waterpark Resort and Lighthouse Point, Sawmill Creek’s 236-room resort lodge strengthens both Cedar Point’s and the Sandusky area’s appeal as a unique and adventurous vacation destination.”

Zimmerman added that Cedar Fair plans to make the necessary investment in Sawmill Creek to upgrade and modernize its guest rooms, resort facilities and infrastructure. Improvements are projected to be completed over the next two years.

Sawmill Creek spans a total of 235 acres, including 28 acres of premium Lake Erie waterfront with a marina, a half-mile beach and 50 acres of undeveloped land. Amenities at the resort include indoor and outdoor swimming pools, three restaurants, a conference center, an 18-hole, Tom Fazio-designed golf course and club, and The Shops at Sawmill Creek. In addition to golf and swimming, guests can choose from a variety of on and off-premise activities ranging from watersport rentals and fishing charters, to a sunset cruise on the legendary Sawmill Explorer.

Cedar Fair had previously announced the development of new hotels adjacent to two of its other amusement parks including a SpringHill Suites by Marriott at Carowinds in Charlotte, North Carolina, and a Hyatt-branded hotel on the site of its Canada's Wonderland amusement park near Toronto in Vaughan, Ontario. With the addition of the 236 guestrooms at Sawmill Creek Resort, Cedar Fair will operate more than 2,300 hotel rooms companywide.

Squire Patton Boggs served as legal advisor to Cedar Fair on the transaction, while Sawmill Creek Resort was represented by MelCap Partners, LLC.

415521807_SawmillCreek.JPG.807142cec60456c65154ddcb1fa74eab.JPG

Edited by jedimaster1227

I think that was Ouimet's pet project. Think about it...the two (I stand corrected again) that were installed were in 2014 and 2015, and we haven't seen any dark rides since, and he isn't with CF anymore.

But you know what, go on believing that the Point is getting some super-elaborate dark ride for 2020. I'm done trying to explain why its an unlikely outcome. Keep the dream alive.

Matt Quimet is still with Cedar Fair...

He is the Executive Chairman Of The Board.

moexectivecp.thumb.JPG.098b7f162c0ec9c868695de93ec56482.JPG

Well, Valravn’s downtime chart has finally hit all-red. Interesting sight to see. Anyone been hearing anything about what’s taking so long to get things running again? I know for a fact it didn’t take nearly this long to get SV back open after the bump.

6ECD0D09-F7E0-4DBC-BF04-7696E694F500.thumb.jpeg.3b99e0ea7a040d19aab03e1d3c2508dc.jpeg

Well, Valravn’s downtime chart has finally hit all-red. Interesting sight to see. Anyone been hearing anything about what’s taking so long to get things running again? I know for a fact it didn’t take nearly this long to get SV back open after the bump.

I'm assuming it's because the dropped floors were raised and were damaged, according to reports. Those would take longer to replace than just removing a train on SV. Just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with coasters....Water, water everywhere on the outskirts of the park. Much worse than when I was here last month. Even part of the ADA section of the main lot has some water.

Side note....Caught part of a rehearsal for the band that plays for Cedar Point Nights on the stage by Windseeker today. I think they sound even better than last year.