TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Cant see them stepping on KI's giga but i assumed we'd see something for the 150th....

If anything, this is perhaps just as much about not stepping on the still-pretty-new SV as it is not taking away from what's going on 4 hours south...

From Zimm himself:

Citing Cedar Point’s record-breaking roller coaster Steel Vengeance, which debuted in 2018, and Carowinds’ acclaimed Fury 325, new in 2015, Zimmerman said: “We can continue to leverage those for many years in our marketing campaigns.”

Just know that parks don't necessarily care about adding a new addition on an anniversary year. The animosity comes with a history of people insisting that something major will be added during anniversary years. Instead, parks add attractions as needed based on budgets and research. Steele Vengeance and Valravn are new so wouldn't expect any roller coasters for a while. 150th anniversary will likely include some signage, special events/celebrations, and commemorative gifts.

^^If you go back a ways in this thread, it was discussed ad nauseam. Some enthusiasts doggedly insist something really big must happen next year. The level-headed people who have been at this for many years know that this is not the case. If you read enough TPR, you'll know who generally provides accurate info and/or predictions. Mostly people who have been around here since the beginning.

Jason McClure said there will be some kind of new ride for 2020. He also hinted that the coliseum would be “celebrated”. So I’m obviously thinking dark ride that maybe could also technically be counted as a coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've said it a few times but I'll say it again. It doesn't make sense for the park from a marketing standpoint to put in a new "big" ride for the 150th. If they put in a "big" ride during the 150th they essentially lose a year of easy marketing. Waiting till 2021 for a big ride means marketing in 2020 for the 150th and 2021 for the ride while putting in a big ride next year means they are marketing both in one year and don't have anything for 2021.

*Edit: This goes for any park with a major anniversary.

I've said it a few times but I'll say it again. It doesn't make sense for the park from a marketing standpoint to put in a new "big" ride for the 150th. If they put in a "big" ride during the 150th they essentially lose a year of easy marketing. Waiting till 2021 for a big ride means marketing in 2020 for the 150th and 2021 for the ride while putting in a big ride next year means they are marketing both in one year and don't have anything for 2021.

If you want a new coaster next year, there's always Kings Island.

Anything CP adds in the future will probably be less spectacular than Steel V.

This this this. This is how ya do it. Enthusiasts equate celebrating an anniversary with putting in a big new ride but parks pretty much never ever do that because the anniversary is advertising in itself.

Not to mention, its July. If something BIG were coming to CP for 2020, we'd have some sort of inkling of something by now. Stuff closed/crap being moved around/markings/etc. Something.

Also, when is the last time Cedar Fair opened big new coasters at KI and CP in the same year?

^2007 - Maverick and Firehawk was the only instance of Cedar Fair doing so. But even then, FH was just a relocate from GL...a coaster that was convenient to give to them since they had just purchased the Paramount chain on June 30, 2006 and was unpacking Geagua at the same time.

Given that Cedar Fair, to my knowledge, has never installed a dark ride of any type to any of its parks, yeah I'd say it'd be something "big."

Cedar Fair built Wonder Mountain's Guardian at Canada's Wonderland.

According to the following interview there will be a new ride for 2020. And he mentions "celebrating" the coliseum...

I stand corrected...they've built ONE dark ride in their entire recent history.

"Celebrating the coliseum" can mean literally anything...from a ride in it all the way down to banners.

Seriously don't get yourself worked up about this.

lol, who's getting worked up? Personally I don't think a dark ride is all that exciting, or " big". But everyones definition of "big" is different..

And you're right, it can mean anything from a ride to banners. But I don't understand why so many are quick to dismiss the idea of a ride. And the pomposity of some while doing so is very annoying.

In 2020 there will be a new ride to help celebrate 150, that much is clear.

Worth noting that Wonder Mountain's Guardian is already in a state of complete disrepair. As of last week every screen was horribly out of focus, most guns were broken, one train only had ONE working car, and every other train had broken cars. So maybe Cedar Fair shouldn't build them.

I stand corrected...they've built ONE dark ride in their entire recent history.

"Celebrating the coliseum" can mean literally anything...from a ride in it all the way down to banners.

Seriously don't get yourself worked up about this.

Voyage to the Iron Reef

I think that was Ouimet's pet project. Think about it...the two (I stand corrected again) that were installed were in 2014 and 2015, and we haven't seen any dark rides since, and he isn't with CF anymore.

But you know what, go on believing that the Point is getting some super-elaborate dark ride for 2020. I'm done trying to explain why its an unlikely outcome. Keep the dream alive.