TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

On another note, I brought this up earlier and on my visit yesterday it was still a thing... And that is the fact that CP is not honoring row requests on rides where they are assigning rows. SV, Maverick, and Raptor (1st for that one) did not allow me to pick my row. Just my biggest pet peeve about parks. I mean I get it, but at the same time allowing my friend and I to wait for the next train in our row of choice is not going to slow the line down..

I had a similar experience at Carowinds last year on a day with light crowds -- "How many? Go to four," became a running joke on a day with sparse crowds. I wasn't able to negotiate a front or backseat ride on anything, even though I'd sometimes approach near-abandoned queues.

"Can I get the front on the next train?"

"Uh no, go to four."

"Yes, well I've had three rides there already this morning, the station is empty, no one is coming behind me, I drove eight hours to visit, my birthday is coming up (I'm smiling and good-natured here, not whining), and you can make my day right now -- can I get please wait one train for the front?"

"No, go to four."

Both the policy and the feeling of being stonewalled without explanation by employees is irritating. Even if assigning rows is more efficient and keeps a tidy station, is it worth handing down a decree that takes away guest choice and further restricts the norms that they're used to? Imagine asking for a Coke and they say, "No, we've got a Sprite Cherry Zero poured next, so that's what you're gonna get. You can't just buy a Coke, you have to buy the next available drink."

Is it just that it's a little bit easier in theory for ride ops to focus and communicate when the station isn't packed, and couldn't there still be balance between assigning rows and accepting requests for the front or back? And if it's a weight distribution issue, I think parks are still pretty good about roping off the air gates for a couple of rows. I feel like Wicked Twister has a decent compromise, where you can choose to wait for the front or back, and then enough people are let in to sort themselves out and fill up the remaining rows on their own.

Edited by Samuel

^^ The only rides at Cedar Fair this year where my seating requests weren't honored were Copperhead Strike (2nd weekend), Valravn, or Yukon Striker.

Last year I had a few Steel Vengeance rides where I wasn't allowed to pick, but usually the groupers honor my request. I usually phrase it like, "Could I please wait extra for seat X?"

Hey guys does anyone know what’s going on with the blue side on Gemini? It looks like it’s been testing all day yesterday and today.

It's had a lot of downtime because of mechanical issues. It was down for about a week, reopened for a few days and then went down again. Must've fixed whatever was wrong and now they're testing the crap out of it before reopening.

I have to imagine seat choice is way more dependent on the op at the gate than anything else. I've had pretty good luck the few times I've requested a seat this year at Carowinds, KI and CP.

What I see way more often are ones that appear to be on a power trip and end up sending out empty rows because they are too slow at letting them in.

PS: Yukon Striker is open today so it would appear (from the outside looking in) that the chain is not concerned about a similar issue occurring with their other dive coaster.

It is only running one train today though

PS: Yukon Striker is open today so it would appear (from the outside looking in) that the chain is not concerned about a similar issue occurring with their other dive coaster.

^^ The only rides at Cedar Fair this year where my seating requests weren't honored were Copperhead Strike (2nd weekend), Valravn, or Yukon Striker.

Last year I had a few Steel Vengeance rides where I wasn't allowed to pick, but usually the groupers honor my request. I usually phrase it like, "Could I please wait extra for seat X?"

This pst weekend there was only one coaster where my request wasn’t honored, Maverick. Valravn, SV, Raptor, and any others I may be forgetting all allowed me to wait extra for front or back.

I’ve never understood the row assignments. I’m sure there wouldn’t be empty trains if they just let everyone pick a gate to go to. I mean look at Millie, GK, Magnum, TTD for example....totally full trains and people enjoy the open station much better. At Darien Lake it’s all open station, nobody even stopping everyone from getting into the station. Everyone can still figure it out and still fill the trains. Forcing rows on people really doesn’t do much good from what i’ve seen.

^ Some stations are too small to let people just fill the station. The one that comes to mind for me is SFNE's Thunderbolt.

My favorite station configuration is assigned seating with the ability to request a row (I feel nerdy for saying this). Most people don't have an objection to where they sit, so it helps minimize the wait for premium seats for those who care by keeping the station open.

I have to imagine seat choice is way more dependent on the op at the gate than anything else. I've had pretty good luck the few times I've requested a seat this year at Carowinds, KI and CP.

What I see way more often are ones that appear to be on a power trip and end up sending out empty rows because they are too slow at letting them in.

This is what I think too. It’s just that I’ve never had an issue with it CP, ever. And I visit the park 20+ times a year.

When I went to Carowinds last year I couldn’t get this chick to let me ride in front. When the crew rotated the new person was more than happy to let me go in front.

But back to CP. I expect it at SV, Maverick, Valravn if I’m with a big group or an odd numbered group. But not Raptor or Iron freaking Dragon when it’s a group of 2..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Maverick on Sunday, the grouper was leaving the station almost completely empty on both loading areas. Then sending two people to each line, waiting for them all to load before sending anyone else . It was bizarre and seemed to slow down things a bit, IMO. I saw a lot of times when the grouper told someone where to go and they would ignore it and go wherever they wanted. Only a couple of times did I see the grouper say anything to those people.

Oh, well then disregard that. Good for them for running it though.

It's just my worthless opinion, but I don't think people should feel entitled to complain about row assignments. CP runs pretty good operations and if you have someone good at the gates it makes things flow more smoothly. I never complain when I don't get a row assignment. The only ride where I consistently ask for a front row seat is Valravn and it's always honored, even if it comes with a little hesitation.

If I ask an employee and I'm shot down I know not to ask that person and I'm always polite about it and never question their decision. If the employee at the gates is swapped out I ask the next person running the gates. If they shoot me down I have the same practice of not annoying them repeatedly by continuing to request a seat. I know not to ask again. I respect their decision and try not to put a damper on my day by being butt hurt over something so insignificant. Especially as a FL+ user I'll take what I can get.

We also don't know if any policies are in place. I'm sure there have been people who complain about others getting their seat preferences which has resulted in arguments and people of the 2019 era making a scene. "We've been waiting in line for two hours and I want to speak with the manager." (vomit)

Let it be.

If you've driven two hours to visit the park for the third time this season, fair play.

If instead you've traveled halfway across the planet having saved and saved and saved for years to make the trip, then with all due respect, f**k the ride op's power trip and let me ride Raptor's back b*stard row already, thanks.

This is exactly the sort of thing that would make me hesitate to visit the park.

I'm very often a single rider and not real picky about where I ride. But, I will occasionally request a certain row and with the exception of Valravn I don't think I've ever been refused. More times than not there's another single to pair with anyuway. I drive nine hours to visit CP two or three times a year. Sure I'd always like to sit in my favorite seat on various coasters but I try to be flexible too.

I understand the frustration from those that make CP a once or twice in a lifetime trip that don't like being told where to sit but sometimes you still have to bite your tongue and do what you're told. I suppose technically disobeying can fall under the ride instructions section of the Ohio law.

I bet if you smile and say please, nine times out of ten you'll get to sit where you want.

If you REALLY have to, you can just let people in back of you in line to go in front of you. I do this with annoying children, and those who invade my personal space (especially walking through haunts). Works like a charm. Works for getting where you want on a train, too, if you absolutely must. Doesn't work if the ride is a walk-on, though.

For those with a disability pass and enter through the exits, If you only let one trains worth of people in the station you can now control the line and leave a row free so they don't take someone's row and annoy the people in the regular line. Alternative is annoying the disabled party for needing to wait 4-5 trains after already waiting the allotted time. Some stations like SV it's easy because it only holds one train worth of people and they put up chains to prevent rows from being taken for those up the exits. Works well for both parties, and you can do similar at rides like Maverick by "reserving" a row for the exit riders by grouping and allowing in one trains worth of people at a time.

If you've driven two hours to visit the park for the third time this season, fair play.

If instead you've traveled halfway across the planet having saved and saved and saved for years to make the trip, then with all due respect, f**k the ride op's power trip and let me ride Raptor's back b*stard row already, thanks.

This is exactly the sort of thing that would make me hesitate to visit the park.

Maybe I'm just used to Asian parks but I've been to so many parks where you don't get a choice of row and the fact people react like this in a hobby that's for fun is just weird to me. Yes, some seats are better but it's not enough for me to fly off the handle and let it wind me up this much. I've done trips where I might not go to those parks again or for a long while waited for almost an hour for Hair Raiser at Ocean Park (single rider line was closed) and probably the same for Draken at Gyeongju World and both times the staff would assign every-one to keep the line moving. Sure I had a place I wanted to sit but at the end of the day that's the person (probably with orders from higher-ups) to keep the line moving and get as many people through as possible. It’s not enough to ruin my ride or day at the park to still be upset by the time I get home and am writing on TPR

It's just my worthless opinion, but I don't think people should feel entitled to complain about row assignments. CP runs pretty good operations and if you have someone good at the gates it makes things flow more smoothly. I never complain when I don't get a row assignment. The only ride where I consistently ask for a front row seat is Valravn and it's always honored, even if it comes with a little hesitation.

If I ask an employee and I'm shot down I know not to ask that person and I'm always polite about it and never question their decision. If the employee at the gates is swapped out I ask the next person running the gates. If they shoot me down I have the same practice of not annoying them repeatedly by continuing to request a seat. I know not to ask again. I respect their decision and try not to put a damper on my day by being butt hurt over something so insignificant. Especially as a FL+ user I'll take what I can get.

We also don't know if any policies are in place. I'm sure there have been people who complain about others getting their seat preferences which has resulted in arguments and people of the 2019 era making a scene. "We've been waiting in line for two hours and I want to speak with the manager." (vomit)

Let it be.

When you say: entitled to complain, do you mean to management or just in general?

I'm certainly not the guy who will ask to speak to the manager/ supervisor, and I am always polite. And it certainly doesn't put a damper on my day, but I disagree with it being insignificant. Where I sit on a coaster can drastically change my experience. For example, the Beast. If I'm in row 1 (the best row), row 11 (the smoothest row) or row 17 (the most intense row while still being smooth enough) I love it. If I'm in any other row I don't like it.

Maybe I'm just used to Asian parks but I've been to so many parks where you don't get a choice of row and the fact people react like this in a hobby that's for fun is just weird to me. Yes, some seats are better but it's not enough for me to fly off the handle and let it wind me up this much. I've done trips where I might not go to those parks again or for a long while waited for almost an hour for Hair Raiser at Ocean Park (single rider line was closed) and probably the same for Draken at Gyeongju World and both times the staff would assign every-one to keep the line moving. Sure I had a place I wanted to sit but at the end of the day that's the person (probably with orders from higher-ups) to keep the line moving and get as many people through as possible. It’s not enough to ruin my ride or day at the park to still be upset by the time I get home and am writing on TPR

It's a liberty that that is being taken away. That's the issue IMO. And like I said before I understand why they do it on a ride like SV which always has a long line. But when the back is open, nobody there, letting my friend and I go to the back instead of row 5 has no impact on how the line moves. On Wednesday when I was assigned a row on Raptor the line was 10 minutes long... And I'd gladly wait an extra 10-15 minutes if it means I get to pick my row.