TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

While I've never actually done it, it appears Ghost Town Alive at Knott's Berry Farm (the attraction Forbidden Frontier was based on) is wildly successful, and hosts a very loyal and devoted following. Sounds like Cedar Point is off to a good start on their. Families seem to absolutely love it.

Hey all. I am a semi knowledgeable enthusiast.

I'm going to Cedar point for my first time next Monday,Tuesday June 10th and 11th.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or things I should known about? best time to ride the big rides and so on.

Thanks in advance!

Hey all. I am a semi knowledgeable enthusiast.

I'm going to Cedar point for my first time next Monday,Tuesday June 10th and 11th.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or things I should known about? best time to ride the big rides and so on.

Thanks in advance!

Look back in this thread. This question has been answered a ton...

Basics include waiting on Raptor and Gate Keeper until later in the day. Use Early Entry for Steel Vengeance, Maverick and Millennium Force. TTD is inconsistent in running so get on it ASAP if it's running.

While I've never actually done it, it appears Ghost Town Alive at Knott's Berry Farm (the attraction Forbidden Frontier was based on) is wildly successful, and hosts a very loyal and devoted following. Sounds like Cedar Point is off to a good start on their. Families seem to absolutely love it.

Well, they love the playscape.

Different park, different audience.

I don’t understand Cedar Point’s operations. It makes no sense how Kings Island CONSTANTLY runs the maximum number of trains, yet Steel Vengeance is still running one train tonight and everything else is running near the bare minimum of trains and dispatch times can all be super slow! This is the flagship park and everything else is so fantastic, it makes no sense why this aspect is so atrocious.

If Steel Vengeance is running one train it’s doing it for a reason. Cedar Point’s operations are generally fantastic between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

It’s not like they were running one train today with a posted 160 minute wait just to be assholes and to laugh at your suffering, they’re not La Ronde.

I don’t understand Cedar Point’s operations. It makes no sense how Kings Island CONSTANTLY runs the maximum number of trains, yet Steel Vengeance is still running one train tonight and everything else is running near the bare minimum of trains and dispatch times can all be super slow! This is the flagship park and everything else is so fantastic, it makes no sense why this aspect is so atrocious.

It’s clear you’re a KI fanboy and there’s a fun, light rivalry between both parks fans, but it’s really not that serious. If Vengeance, their star attraction, is only running one train, there’s a good reason why, whatever it may be. It will always run three, unless something is preventing it from doing so. They don’t run it with one train for funsies. It’s miserable for both guests and employees.

Also, you say everything is running *near* the bare minimum amount of trains. Let’s think about this for a second. Most major coasters at CP run 3 trains. So if they’re running near the bare minimum, but not the actual minimum, they’re running 2 trains. By this logic, that’s “near” maximum too. I don’t think two trains is unreasonable, especially in the evening. And again, they won’t run less than maximum unless there’s a reason to do so.

It makes no sense to you, because you have no real information about Cedar Point's operations other than what you see from a guest's standpoint and what you think you know. Basically, you don't know shit, but you're assuming that one of the most successful parks in the industry doesn't know what they're doing.

Who let all the Facebook users in?

I was there when King's Island was running three trains on everything with three trains, but they were double stacking on all of those coasters too. In my mind, if you're going to double stack (or even heavily single stacking) just do two trains. When you double stack, you don't increase your throughput with the extra train, and you just sit there watching two dispatches in front of you unable to move. I'd rather KI run two trains unless they can figure out how to hit interval regularly.

Hey guys, I've been a long (more like looooooooooong) time reader, but just recently made an account and have never posted until now. My friends and I are visiting Cedar Point for the first time on Friday, we plan to be at the park from 10AM to 10PM (no early-entry for us since we are using Air-BNB), and we plan to get the basic Fast Lane. I know you guys get these questions all the time, but what would be the best course of action for the day? I feel like we would be better with waiting to ride Steel Vengeance and Maverick towards park closing, but unsure.. Thanks!

Welcome to TPR!

Steel Vengeance doesn't open until noon-ish now, so don't rush to go back there. Strategy doesn't really matter with Fastlane but I'd ride Dragster and Maverick early-ish since they're not the most reliable rides in the world.

Don't wait to ride Steel Vengeance. Usually it's semi-reliable once it opens but I just hate the idea of waiting until the end of the day to ride something that you really want to ride just in-case it breaks down and never reopens. That probably won't happen but if it does you'll be kicking yourself.

From my experience, the rides with Fast Lane only can all be done with the regular stand-by wait without much trouble. The big time saver is for the rides on Fast Lane Plus. If you're going to spring for Fast Lane, I recommend paying extra for Plus.

I agree you want to do Dragster the moment you see it running. If it's a windy day, you also want to do Raptor and Gatekeeper if you see them running.

Hey guys, I've been a long (more like looooooooooong) time reader, but just recently made an account and have never posted until now. My friends and I are visiting Cedar Point for the first time on Friday, we plan to be at the park from 10AM to 10PM (no early-entry for us since we are using Air-BNB), and we plan to get the basic Fast Lane. I know you guys get these questions all the time, but what would be the best course of action for the day? I feel like we would be better with waiting to ride Steel Vengeance and Maverick towards park closing, but unsure.. Thanks!

If you're going for 2 days or more, it's worth it to splurge for the Platinum Pass.

Assuming 3 total people for two days, traveling in one car, that's $814.80 buying the two-day ticket online, 3 regular FL passes each day, and one regular two-day parking. If you were to buy FL+ each day you're looking at $949.80.

Conversely, 3 Platinum Passes would be $668.99, which includes parking, gets you early entry, and lets you buy FL Plus passes for the regular FL price at the park ($522 for 3 people both days). That comes out to $1,190.99 total. That's only $375 ($125 a person) more than the daily ticket option ($160 total/$53 a person more than the daily+FL Pus option), and you get all of the following benefits:

-Discounts on Food.

-FL+ at regular FL price (this is huge)

-Access to the Water Park.

-Early Entry both days.

-The ability to add in a third day when you arrive or are leaving, even if a partial day, for $0.

-You could go to other CF parks (Dorney is a 2 hour drive from almost anywhere in NJ and KD is a 3-4 hour drive) as much as you want for the rest of the season, including Haunt and Winterfest.

Seems like a no-brainer to me unless this CP trip is your only amusement park trip all year and you don't care about not having skip-the-line on the rides that you will most need it on (seriously regular FL is a ripoff at this park, IMHO).

Also, Coastermania is Friday, and admission to that is only $35 with a Platinum Pass ($80 without), and would get you 4 hours of ERT in the morning before opening and 3 hours after closing, free lunch, and some sort of cruise (?).

***EDIT***

If you're only going one day, Friday of Coastermania, then I'd say daily tickets might be the better option, but FL Plus is mandatory. Seriously the regular FL is a joke. I cannot stress this enough.

Though, if you and your friends are club TPR members can swing being at the park from 7 AM to 1:30 AM, buying the Coastermania admission might be the better deal.

^ I believe Coastermania is sold out. A friend of mine waited until the last minute to buy her ticket and discovered she was SOL for doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, my friends aren't as willing to splurge as I am and won't go for the Fast Lane Plus. Good to know that Steel Vengeance doesn't open until later on, though. Would have sucked going there first only to wait hours.

I didn’t realize that it was Coastermania. Knowing that I wouldn’t be shocked if they actually attempt to open the ride on time.

The park posts wait times during early entry so just open the app and check if it’s running before they open the gates at 10:00. It could go either way.

Then again, you’ll wait hours no matter what without Fastlane or Early Entry so there’s no reason to go there right at open anyway, you might be better off with Dragster or something. Also, they’ll probably close Maverick and Steel Vengeance early to regular guests so be prepared for that.

Heading to Steel Vengeance first is probably a good strategy because even if it isn't open, you can knock out Maverick early. I'd then recommend going to Millennium Force to get a front row ride because it is absolutely amazing up there.

We visited the park today for the first few hours( until the huge rainstorms started to roll in) and SV opened exactly at noon. Waited a total of 1 hour for a ride(11.45-12.45).

Going tomorrow for a full day with a FL+ so hoping for a couple of rides on everything.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Going tomorrow for a full day with a FL+ so hoping for a couple of rides on everything.

If you don't mind, can you post a summary of your visit with FL+ tomorrow? I'll be there for a few days next week and figure it will probably be similar crowds. We'll probably spring for FL+ at least 1 day.