TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Despite opening late every day and only running 2 trains per side the ride has terrific ridership numbers. I'm sure it's staffing commitment is higher than a lot of other coasters though so I guess I wouldn't be shocked either way.

Personally I hope Gemini runs forever.

Rides break down for a hundred different reasons and Gemini only operates one side for staffing/budget/projected attendance. Neither of which necessarily spell out that the ride is going anywhere anytime soon. That said, it wouldn’t shock me if Gemini wasn’t around in 10 years, but I’d be pretty sad if it wasn’t.

Aaaaand i spoke too soon. Back to being closed. By the way, when I was at the park 2 weeks ago, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, it was open but running only the red side all 3 days. Has the blue side been running at all this year??

F546C85D-048E-4438-9D1C-825606567056.thumb.jpeg.e9883c7260f0449e76d8ff64d0b8d2d1.jpeg

Do we seriously need an update every time Gemini goes down for a short mechanical issue?

In other news, Raptor went down for a solid half hour when I was there Wednesday.

Last week I witnessed Diamondback stuck on its lift with riders for ~20 minutes.

Could be this be the end?

All joking aside, Im skeptical as to what it could be that causes something like Gemini to be have an existential issue that would justify its removal.

Ive seldom heard of any traditional chain lift coaster be closed for reasons other than simply low ridership, for which Gemini clearly doesnt have. Quite the opposite, as has been mentioned earlier

They're gonna RMC it. World's smallest dueling hybrid. First park with three hybrids.

Isnt it already the world smallest dueling hybrid, which would make it the first park with three hybrids?

Just as I hit the submit button I realized that yes thats all already true, but decided not to edit my post in an effort to let some geek get his rocks off by correcting me.

They're gonna RMC it. World's smallest dueling hybrid. First park with three hybrids.

Isnt it already the world smallest dueling hybrid, which would make it the first park with three hybrids?

Just as I hit the submit button I realized that yes thats all already true, but decided not to edit my post in an effort to let some geek get his rocks off by correcting me.

It's like clockwork. All I'm waiting on now is nerdy jokes about an aquatrax coming to the park. Because that joke. Is. Still hilarious...

It's like clockwork. All I'm waiting on now is nerdy jokes about an aquatrax coming to the park. Because that joke. Is. Still hilarious...

Aquatrax's are just a myth anyway. Only the less exciting Trax exists now.

Getting reports of power outages at the park due to storms

Anyone confirm this?

Looks like a mass exodus from the park right now as well...according to the webcam.

Wasn't there yesterday but heard they closed early due to weather from a friend who was...

Was at the park today and nothing was closed so if there were any issues it was resolved with no issues to note.

Steel Vengeance was even open for early entry and Gemini was open with both sides running two trains. Everyone can relax now... There is currently no conspiracy!

On another note checked out the new Forbidden Frontier and while it's still kinda hard to explain exactly what it is the attraction is fun and the playground is massive and built for all ages. Heck the supports on the thing look like coaster supports! My 35yr old self went right in and had a great time with my 13 and 14yr old nephews. Adults are even allowed to go down the slides!

Overall spent about 2 hours in there experiencing the attraction, interacting with the characters and relaxing on the hammocks. It's honestly a great thing they added, something the park really needed. A fun attraction a family can do together or adults can go do on their own. Now all it really needs is a nice new log flume to tie it all together!

Gemini is good fun, would be sad to see it go but 1 wouldn't super surprise me (would a bit though I Just never imagine CP removing a coaster esp one that's now historical) and 2 I wouldn't exactly be devastated either. I mean it's fun but cmon not anything great, it usually gets 1 ride from me per visit.

Unrelated: So beyond stoked for coastermania!

Gemini rules and it going away would be a travesty. They aren't going to replace it with anything that has more capacity and if they build something less wild than SV at this point people will complain (though invariably they have to).

How have crowds been this year, especially Memorial Day and after? Soft? Busy? I still 100% don't buy that their new for 2019 attraction they aren't sure how to market was a good move and am totally looking for confirmation of my bias against it. Good to hear though that the $50-60K they spent on a playscape is getting usage when their personnel costs for the actors will be multiples of that.

Good to hear though that the $50-60K they spent on a playscape is getting usage when their personnel costs for the actors will be multiples of that.

If they only spent $60K on this thing then they're getting screwed on coasters. The support structure for this playscape is insanely robust. I mean, if you saw the supports on a truck bed heading into the park you'd assume a new B&M was on the way.

On top of everything else added to the island, a new stage, new restrooms, new food location it's a pretty well thought out attempt for a themed area from a park other than Disney or Universal. Will it bring in the numbers Steel Vengeance failed to bring in? Maybe.. maybe not. But there were a ton of families in there enjoying the area when I checked it out. Maybe a few themed family rides in future years to flesh it out a little better would also make it great. Like I said a log flume would fit well back there and there is plenty of room for that and maybe something like FireChaser Express from Dollywood.

As far as crowds.. I've only been twice this season and both days seemed relatively busier then I expected. But nothing really out of the ordinary.

Good to hear though that the $50-60K they spent on a playscape is getting usage when their personnel costs for the actors will be multiples of that.

If they only spent $60K on this thing then they're getting screwed on coasters. The support structure for this playscape is insanely robust. I mean, if you saw the supports on a truck bed heading into the park you'd assume a new B&M was on the way.

Whatever it is that it cost, they bought a playscape. That's what it is.

On top of everything else added to the island, a new stage, new restrooms, new food location it's a pretty well thought out attempt for a themed area from a park other than Disney or Universal. Will it bring in the numbers Steel Vengeance failed to bring in? Maybe.. maybe not. But there were a ton of families in there enjoying the area when I checked it out. Maybe a few themed family rides in future years to flesh it out a little better would also make it great. Like I said a log flume would fit well back there and there is plenty of room for that and maybe something like FireChaser Express from Dollywood.

Well, they want to bring in people or at the very least get longer stays, which seems counterintuitive to building an attraction that no one knows how to market. The park already has plenty of challenges with having to assemble a work force; not sure how creating an attraction that is all people helps that out.

Yeah Id be more sad than not if Gemini went and I agree, what would replace it really? Given its historical nature and CP wanting to (I assume) keep their count high yeah it aint going away.

I do wonder what crowds will be like. I was shocked how empty the park was (and supposedly this was much of the year) outside of the NW corner. I mean walk on to 15 mins for MForce, walk on to 5 for most else, all day long, and literally 90% of the crowds were just for SV and Mav. I reckon with it open a year this wont be the case so much.

Whatever it is that it cost, they bought a playscape. That's what it is.

Step 1: Forbidden Frontier

Step 2: ???

Step 3: PROFIT

Literally the case, except the playscape is like 1/10th of the project budget. But look, people are willing to cut some parks slack for anything they do, whether it was Dinosaurs Alive or Starlight Spectacular or this.