TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

prozach626 - Me and some friends going up that same time (Sat afternoon - Wed noon ish). Weather will be great. Think positive. Buddy's son is graduating HS and he's always wanted to visit CP.

I watched a couple blogs from the same weekend last year. Seemed like it was fairly dead the 3 days he was there. I have a feeling Sat and Sunday might be a bit busy (race, CoastStock, BBQ fest starting) but the weekdays should be light. I'd say a FL would probably make most things walkons from what I gather. I've been to 3 CF parks this year and had FL each time. Going to be painful waiting on rides while I'm up there. Trying to decide if Sunday or Monday might be better. I'll get it one day while I'm there because I do like to ride a lot sometimes. Probably decide while we're up there. Weather, etc.

Going to be fun. Decades since I've been there. Let's catch together a ride in a few weeks.

Hey there!

I haven't gone to a park outside of my home parks in quite some time, and Cedar Point is the one that is breaking that in. I'm going to be going on the 20th, which is a Monday, and I wanted to ask if there is anything I should take note of. I imagine the crowds will be on the lighter side given that its still May, and the weather right now is expected to be rainy (but its a week away!) so I'm hoping that kills the crowds. Will probably reschedule the trip to Tuesday if the weather is looking really bad, but I'll make that call when I'm up there.

Anyways, my plan is to grab one of the travel lockers, and head straight for Maverick and Steel Vengeance as soon as the park opens. I have the ticket with the meal plan on it as well, so while I'm here I might as well ask whats the best place to go with the meal ticket.

Thanks!

Plus Platinum Pass owners can buy the FastLane Plus for the cost of a regular FastLane at the park, which is a $50 savings.

This. I would never recommend at Platinum Pass holder to pre-buy regardless of day due to the discount perk the park offers. Opening day FL+ was I believe selling for $110 while FL was $65. Waiting to buy in the park would've saved $45 per band.

Most weekdays through the end of June they're not really needed except on rides like Maverick, Steel Vengeance and TTD.

Also, don't forget how much time you'll save by using is at Lake Erie Eagles, Antique Cars and the Scrambler. That's when the true value of FL becomes evident.

Between the two sandwiches my wife and I had last year, they were excellent and unique. In my experience, it was one of those fun Friday night places you'd want to go to in order to have a couple beers and a fun/delicous meal. Then, you factor in that this one is inside of CP. It's great.

Despite not being a huge guy, I have a huge appetite. But, I recommend splitting a sandwich with someone. They were massive.

Despite not being a huge guy, I have a huge appetite. But, I recommend splitting a sandwich with someone. They were massive.

For example.....

Melt.png.7db7fdb4d02e0b76969071d9f990fdbf.png

Photo by Alyssa Senft.

It was cold today. TTD rolled back two of the first three runs they filled the trains on. We were first row for the second rollback, my first. So awesome!

I'm very jealous. Nice work! First row...sweet.

For example.....

That is an epic amount of bread.

Melt has never looked good to me, coming from someone who absolutely loves sandwiches (and cheese).

For example.....

That is an epic amount of bread.

Melt has never looked good to me, coming from someone who absolutely loves sandwiches (and cheese).

As a Cleveland local I've given Melt a few goes and have tried 5-6 different sandwiches. None have ever been more than meh to me.

I am a big fan of Tom+Chee though. Very delicious with an appropriate amount of bread.

Not sure if the CP Melt offers the half sandwiches but I would recommend that for first timers as they're huge. Also while being at the park it is a huge amount of bread and cheese.

What CP really needs is a Slyman's Tavern.

^keep in mind, at CP, "Melt" is competing with theme park food (for the most part).

so therefore, it pretty much automatically gets upgraded to "amazing", even if it's only "so-so" to "good" in the stand alone restaurants outside a theme park.

What CP really needs is a Slyman's Tavern.

Oh my, I don't know if I could handle a Slyman's sandwich followed by a few runs on Steel Vengeance.

For those not from the Cleveland area: Slyman's Tavern

After what has been a miserable start to May weather wise, our little slice of hell finally got some sunshine yesterday afternoon, so after completing some prior obligations in the morning, I went to the park around 4pm. The weather had turned quite nice, mid 60's, not too windy (Dragster was running, more on that later), sunny, just a good day to be at the park. A few observations from my first trip of 2019:

-First thing I noticed is the lake water levels are really high. The water in the marina was just below the point where it would start going into the parking lot. On the resort side, the beach looks much smaller. With water levels expected to stay high into the summer, they are going to have their work hard to maintain it, especially if a storm comes in off the lake.

Also to note, I've heard that the Chaussee (aka Cedar Point Rd, aka "the shortcut") has been closed at times due to flooding, so take that at your own risk.

-I guess Millennium Force ran for a couple of hours in the morning, then threw up all over itself for the rest of the day. It was closed when I went by and I didn't see any signs that it was going to open back up. Looking at the wait times online, it's open today.

-Dragster, on the other hand, was kicking a$$ during my 4 hours at the park. The train ahead of me rolled back. I shook my fist at the sky and cursed the coaster gods. It was a very interesting perspective to be sitting on the train just behind the launch and watching the train come speeding at you backwards.

-The Magnum tunnel effects are nice to see again, although they don't stand out too much during the day. I can see them being more fun at night.

-Surf Lounge is still the most efficient ride at Cedar Point.

Edit to also add this bit of minutiae: That old fleabag motel CP bought back in the winter now has a parking gate in the lot regulating traffic, so it doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon. Maybe they are renovating it for more employee housing?

Has anybody looked at this years show lineup?https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/shows .I gotta say, its pretty weak this year. It's all basically country music or peanuts theamed(not a fan of either).

The only exception is the vertical velocity, and beach music.

It just seems odd that they are focused on only 2 themes for shows this year for the most part.

That was the best ride day ever at CP (6/3/2017) in forever. My family and I drove 5 hours in the pouring rain for our 4 day annual spring trip and arrived about 2:30 thinking it was going be a bust because of a tropical storm warning . Rain stopped right as we arrived. We thought the park was closed for some reason as there were only 2 rows of parking filled. In fact, every ride was open and every ride was fully staffed running 3 trains on everything. Dragster had to wait for riders to operate all 3 times we rode it. By 6:30 my group was so tired of walking to and directly onto every ride that the adults decided to go to surf lounge and abuse the best ride in the park. The rides that night after Surf Lounge were awesome with a super fine mist amplifying the night rides (Valravn at night with that super fine mist, Oh my, and Millennium force OMG) and no lines,full staff and all trains (gotta love CP for that alone when its slow). Surf bar was the star attraction that evening as there were no lines, a good and friendly crowd and time to spare ( Oh and adult beverages and great service).

We had one of those days about 5 years ago where it rained all day and then the rain cleared out a little after 8:00. We hit the park and everything was a walk on. It was Platinum Pass ERT on Millenium Force that night and there was maybe 4 loads worth of people. After about 3 or 4 times they opened the exit gate right into the station. It got down to just 2 trains worth of people. Had a dozen rides that night in an hour's time!

Jim

So another question I have to ask here. Is this park friendly to people who are kind of on the large size? I've been on a weight loss mission since November and I'm down to 290 from 350, however I still fear I'm a bit to big for some of the rides. I tell you it was humiliating at Hershey when I had to leave the station for Fahrenheit a few years ago. I'm mostly worried about the Intamin ones though as at Hershey the only other ride I had issue in was Storm Runner.

They’ve become a lot better. Years ago it felt like if I didn’t get my seatbelt fastened immediately or they couldn’t get the OTSR down the first time, it was pretty much oh well you can’t fit. These days I find that even when I do occasionally have trouble, they’ll at least make the effort to help with the belt or give the restraint a good push. If you can’t fit on a b&m they’ll let you wait on the side for a big boy seat. I recommend not having anything big in your pockets, no belt if you can, no hoodie or jacket. If your wallet is very thick, consider taking a single card (put it in your phone case) and leaving the wallet behind. Those things can prevent the restraint from going down a bit further than it potentially could. Also if you have a gut place the lap bar under your gut. Since they won’t allow you to push down your own restraint on SV I typically suck in, press my back against the seat, and raise my butt about an inch off the seat. It allows the restraint to be pressed more so onto my lap and not into my gut. Sounds strange but it’s gotten me on every single time. Lastly, pick which side of the train you sit on based on which attendant seems more helpful. Watch how they load the trains prior. Some will go out of their way more than others. Congrats on the weightloss, good luck!

^Steel Vengeance has been able to run 3 trains since about Labor Day last season.

I've only been at the park once this season, opening day, and it was down a good portion of the day and I never attempted to even go back there to look. But since it could last season, I'm sure they are this season.

So another question I have to ask here. Is this park friendly to people who are kind of on the large size? I've been on a weight loss mission since November and I'm down to 290 from 350, however I still fear I'm a bit to big for some of the rides. I tell you it was humiliating at Hershey when I had to leave the station for Fahrenheit a few years ago. I'm mostly worried about the Intamin ones though as at Hershey the only other ride I had issue in was Storm Runner.

It's not too bad. All four of the B&Ms have plus-sized seats. The Rows vary, but the seatbelts are red and on Raptor and Rougarou there are two seatbelts to attach to the OTSR instead of one. Just ask the grouper to be in the larger seat.

Maverick's restraints are pretty forgiving, but they are the same as Fahrenheit's and Storm Runner's. Are you smaller than you were when you couldn't ride Fahrenheit? Millennium Force and Dragster, it's the seatbelt that is going to get you, but the ride attendants can buckle it for you, as they have a better angle. Wicked Twister isn't very big-friendly (especially if you carry a lot of weight in the torso and chest), but you aren't missing much if you can't ride that.

I have found Steel Vengeance to be fairly kind. As mentioned before, the ride attendants have to push down the lap bar for you.

Cedar Creek Mine Ride isn't very big-friendly, but the rest of the Arrows aren't bad.

FWIW, I'm currently wearing a size 40 jeans and I was able to fit on all of the major coasters this past weekend (but I didn't try Wicked Twister or Mine Ride).

Also, try out the test seats before getting in a long line

Maverick's restraints are pretty forgiving, but they are the same as Fahrenheit's and Storm Runner's.

They are the same design restraints, BUT, the seatbelts at Hershey are WAY shorter. I was just there 2 weekends ago and it was hard to get on in Hershey but at CP (and i305) my wife and I have never had a problem. -- Then again they refused to even help push it down at Hershey and were immediately kicking people off without even giving it the extra push... but I'm pretty confident the seat belt lengths are waaay longer at CP. Probably still needs to be down the same amount on the sensors but Hershey is definitely playing it safe with their belts.

Just my experience anyways.