TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Wow Hugo's looks pretty good. I am cautiously optimistic that CP has finally turned the corner on their horrendous food. Now that I've said that, I'll probably be proven so wrong, but I think I'm going to add the meal plan to my season pass. I'm not expecting the full Knoebels treatment but hopefully we will have stuff that is edible, since for years all I had any interest in was the hot dog on a stick and fresh cut fries.

It varies, but most schools in Ohio seem to be starting the week of 8/19, with some school districts starting 8/12 (seems crazy to me, I would have revolted as a kid).

It is my understanding that Michigan schools typically start later. Usually the week before Labor Day is unofficially known as "Michigan Week" because of this, and CP in the past has offered deals to guests coming from Michigan. That said, while the park usually isn't dead, it isn't too busy either, and is a pretty decent time to visit.

Wow Hugo's looks pretty good. I am cautiously optimistic that CP has finally turned the corner on their horrendous food. Now that I've said that, I'll probably be proven so wrong, but I think I'm going to add the meal plan to my season pass. I'm not expecting the full Knoebels treatment but hopefully we will have stuff that is edible, since for years all I had any interest in was the hot dog on a stick and fresh cut fries.

I have never found the food to be bad at Cedar Point. Then again I don't usually eat at quick service. I usually go to Melt or Chickie and Pete's

It varies, but most schools in Ohio seem to be starting the week of 8/19, with some school districts starting 8/12 (seems crazy to me, I would have revolted as a kid).

It is my understanding that Michigan schools typically start later. Usually the week before Labor Day is unofficially known as "Michigan Week" because of this, and CP in the past has offered deals to guests coming from Michigan. That said, while the park usually isn't dead, it isn't too busy either, and is a pretty decent time to visit.

Noted! Thank you!

Took a few shots of Backbeat bbq. Everything here is delicious!

This place is going to be a huge hit however......

There is no inside seating, so during rain and cold weather(and muffleheads) this place will suffer. I'm kinda surprised at the lack of indoor seating, as the place is really well decorated.

20190511_160048.thumb.jpg.c7f65659f41cc15b0cc3a216ad490f5c.jpg

Brisket platter with corn and a muffin.

20190511_153735.thumb.jpg.18c15140c1c85ff9cbb960b42935c7b7.jpg

I'm loving the decor

20190511_154904.thumb.jpg.eff9f3cdb25f6c5460bda12e2a4becb8.jpg

Menu

20190511_153738.thumb.jpg.99e7e4fcc919820536c8517c6c3dd755.jpg

20190511_154908.thumb.jpg.f589cffecc32864b9e77ead4304bb33d.jpg

The wall paper is old cassette tapes

20190511_160046.thumb.jpg.e06d5c570c1bded25b12fcadd2dcf718.jpg

The pizza I got from Hugo's was awful. Really low quality and cold. It is the first day so maybe it will improve.

The pizza I got from Hugo's was awful. Really low quality and cold. It is the first day so maybe it will improve.

Can concur, was extremely disappointed in Hugo's today. I'll chalk it up to opening day in a new food location with them trying to do something new. But I had the chicken parm sandwich. It meh, warm and soggy. With no flavors that really stood out other than generic canned tomato sauce on a bland chicken tender. Also, even seeing the pizza come out of the oven it looked worse then frozen high school cafeteria pizza. As soon as I saw it i was like.. ehhh.. lol I'll give it another go next time I'm there. Give the staff some time to get things together.

BackBeat BBQ however was darn good. I got the half rotisserie chicken, mac&cheese and corn bread. Definitely recommend checking this out.

I haven't read back through posts, so I don't know if this has been added yet. But for those curious, as of opening day all entrees at both Hugo's and BackBeat BBQ are on the meal plan. They're a simple set up as a 1 entree and 1 side meal. Very easy and simple and it works.

Steel Vengeance is still testing with water dummies in all the trains. Dragster just had its second rollback and I have yet to see another train launch at this point.

It looks like they got Steel Vengeance open late yesterday afternoon.

Steel Vengeance is still testing with water dummies in all the trains. Dragster just had its second rollback and I have yet to see another train launch at this point.

It looks like they got Steel Vengeance open late yesterday afternoon.

We left around 8pm last night, and it was still down.

Queue times is right. The ride opened late yesterday afternoon and ran through passholder ERT. The coasterwebs are flooded with people saying that they rode it and then bitching about how it was running slow (lol) and how long it took them to clear the queue for ERT. It all backs up what Queue times says. It went down a few times so it’s possible that when he got back there it was a separate breakdown.

Less than a month away for our trip on Sunday, 06/09 and Monday, 06/10. We plan on getting FL+ and I hope we can put it to good use, even if that only means shaving 10-20 minutes off of queues. I just don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars and find out that we were dealing with station waits all day and feel like idiots. Last trip on Saturday/Sunday in May, during coaster campout, the park wasn't too busy, but it made every ride pretty much walk-on for us. I'm hoping for a similar experience.I like to feel like I got my money out of FL+. Last year there were scattered thunderstorms on Saturday and Sunday was chilly with constant drizzle, but FL+ was still a bargain for the aforementioned use we got out of it. Something for us to take into consideration is that Coaster Stock is that weekend and the fun run is on Sunday (I think). That being the case, I wonder if everyone will be played out by Monday and FL+ won't be worth it.

Can anyone else who has more CP experience speculate?

Honestly, the past few years, the park isn't even that busy until late July. If you want to maximize your riding, get the FL. But honestly, it's not required so early in the season for me at least. But I'm not one that needs to ride stuff over and over again.

If you have early entry, it's very easy to do everything within a few hours.

Weather, of course, will be a big driver on attendance.

I can confirm Steel Vengeance opened up around 5. I had my eye on the coaster the entire time I was there, as I was anxiously awaiting for it to open. While it was testing it appeared to be going noticeably slow. However, once I finally got on around 9 that thing was hauling. It delivered an amazing ride, as expected and they had all 3 trains running. Waited about 2 hours and 45 minutes. Waited even longer for Millennium Force, surprisingly.

I like to feel like I got my money out of FL+. Last year there were scattered thunderstorms on Saturday and Sunday was chilly with constant drizzle, but FL+ was still a bargain for the aforementioned use we got out of it.

As a reference point I was at the park today and it was windy as hell and was supposed to rain for a period of time. Crowds were really low, but a fast lane would (in my opinion) have been valuable. Even though wait times only hovered around 15-20 minutes, FL would have saved at least an hour or two of waiting.

On a side note I would like to restate just how awesome this new BackBeatQ restaurant is. Seriously delicious and the cornbread is the best I’ve ever had.

E86ADFA1-41E1-4F3A-AA79-D6284003FECE.thumb.jpeg.decf27388c9adc671bf42c8322cbfae4.jpeg

Brisket with Mac and cheese. Spicy sauce was good.

^Thanks. That's kind of what I was hoping to hear. With similar crowds during our visit last year it made almost every ride walk-on. It was one of our best park experiences.

Honestly, the past few years, the park isn't even that busy until late July. If you want to maximize your riding, get the FL. But honestly, it's not required so early in the season for me at least. But I'm not one that needs to ride stuff over and over again.

Thanks. We don't marathon rides, but we like being able to roam around parks and ride when we feel like it, without spending much time in line. Showing up early and trying to somewhat rush our rides isn't really our purpose. FL+ is really conducive to how we like to enjoy parks. My concern is that I don't want to purchase $300 worth of FL+ and feel like an idiot when the normal lines are only a few minutes longer than the FL+ lines. That happened to us a SFFT about ten years ago and it left us feeling like idiots when everything was a station wait.

Like i said though, if we can save 10-20 minutes per ride it will be worth it for us. We're lucky enough to always have the budget for FL+, so we're spoiled and would rather go without than wait in lines. I just want to avoid looking like an idiot, even though I've built up a tolerance for that due to frequent occurrences of looking like an idiot.

If Steel Vengeance's queue is even half of what it was last year then you'll save a boatload of time there. Fortunately I've never heard of a Cedar Fair park selling out of FastLane so you can make a judgment call on the day you get there.

^Thanks. That's kind of what I was hoping to hear. With similar crowds during our visit last year it made almost every ride walk-on. It was one of our best park experiences.

Thanks. We don't marathon rides, but we like being able to roam around parks and ride when we feel like it, without spending much time in line. Showing up early and trying to somewhat rush our rides isn't really our purpose. FL+ is really conducive to how we like to enjoy parks. My concern is that I don't want to purchase $300 worth of FL+ and feel like an idiot when the normal lines are only a few minutes longer than the FL+ lines. That happened to us a SFFT about ten years ago and it left us feeling like idiots when everything was a station wait.

Like i said though, if we can save 10-20 minutes per ride it will be worth it for us. We're lucky enough to always have the budget for FL+, so we're spoiled and would rather go without than wait in lines. I just want to avoid looking like an idiot, even though I've built up a tolerance for that due to frequent occurrences of looking like an idiot.

Just don't pre buy the FL. It won't sell out with the crowds typical in June. That way, if not busy, you didn't waste money!

Not once have I seen Fastlane sold out!

2nd the suggestion on waiting on Fast Lane... It takes 5-10 minutes at most to walk up and buy a FL+. Start your day and make a judgment by 1p or so. If lines aren't >20-30 min (or whatever your threshold is) by that point odds are they won't be for the remainder of the day.

This early in the year, there is no incentive to plunk down cash ahead of time. (This is assuming there is NOT a price break for advance purchase)