TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

It would be like buying a ticket to a sporting or theater event that has an obstructed view and being told you could have a better view if you just purchase this add on to your ticket that costs more than your initial ticket did. You're still kind of having the experience, just something is there interfering with you fully enjoying the experience.

I feel like you just countered your own argument. Tickets closer to the action are generally more expensive than nose bleed seats. So you get what you pay for, right? I can think of endless examples of this.

True but my preference would be to go to a stadium where there aren't obstructed seats at all (continuing the sporting event example)

A sporting event where all seats are created equal. hmmmmmm... I like that idea. Luckily for you, Bernie Sanders is running for president again.

Six Flags' Flash Pass Premium is very similar to Fast Lane Plus. I've never waited longer than 5-10 minutes with it. It advertises that you skip 90%-95% of the line. I'm not sure if it's still in effect, but there was a time when you could have double rides. Even without that, you can reserve another ride immediately after entering the flash pass queue, having your next flash pass queue available by the time you get off of the ride. The difference seems negligible.

If you pay more, you get more. You're looking too much into it. Almost everyone knows that there are fast pass options available at parks. Everyone knows what they're getting into. Anyone with prior experience at any park should know that their going to have to take this into account. My only complaint is that they don't cost more, leaving me to wait in less lines for FL+...

Edited by prozach626

^ haha, no i understand that not all seats are created equal, but the person who pays for a sideline seat does not prevent the person farther away with a less expensive seat from seeing the game (I'm a Bills fan, you can still see the game great from the 300 level section)

Like I said just my opinion and I'm not against anyone who feels different

I'm just being grumpy I think haha

From what I've noticed between Cedar Fair and Six Flags is that at Cedar Fair (especially Cedar Point) the fastlane lines are apt to back up a ton, causing for longish waits for fastlane and really screw the regular lines because then they're playing catchup with the Fastlane. I've never had that issue at Six Flags with flash pass. Seems that they're a lot better with keeping the Flash pass and regular lines completely independent of each other. Just my two cents.

Fair enough. I see your point, it's just not going to change the way the world works. Just like every time this year it's best that we all agree to disagree.

I hope I've been respectful about my opinion.

Of course it isn't going to change (except maybe getting even more expensive) Cedar Point is a business and Fast lane is a money maker for the park so why should they change it?

From what I've noticed between Cedar Fair and Six Flags is that at Cedar Fair (especially Cedar Point) the fastlane lines are apt to back up a ton, causing for longish waits for fastlane and really screw the regular lines because then they're playing catchup with the Fastlane. I've never had that issue at Six Flags with flash pass. Seems that they're a lot better with keeping the Flash pass and regular lines completely independent of each other. Just my two cents.

This is pretty much the point I was trying to make, just put much better than my point.

Maybe the solution to my gripe (which they also will never do) is just cap the fast lane at a much lower number to keep all the lines moving faster. I don't see that happening though.

A sporting event where all seats are created equal. hmmmmmm... I like that idea. Luckily for you, Bernie Sanders is running for president again.

I have never purchased a skip the line pass. I don't have anything against it, though I do not understand when enthusiasts say that if you don't purchase a fast lane you are "doing it wrong." I considered it when we went out on our California trip last year, though we were able to hit everything at Knott's that we wanted. SFMM was a little crowded and I would have considered it, but we were just making a quick stop to ride a couple rides that were new to us.

Also, I've seen lots of complaining about the price for CP's season long plan. I actually think that it is at a pretty good price point for the product.

I get the frustration with growing inequality. We know people aren't going to all be the same, but it's getting to the point where those of us in the middle class are increasingly unable to afford all the cool stuff. Now, that is partially due to politics, which I don't want to get into. But it's to a much greater extent due to just having way more cool stuff available to us now than previous generations had. A lot of new products like FastLane+ are for the people willing and able to spend more for a premium experience. We don't see a lot of new products at the lower end of the scale, so it feels like we're being left out of the economy, when in reality we're just being left out of the upper end of the economy. It's okay not to have it all.

I really get this conflict. I'm either a young Gen Xer or an older millennial depending on whom you ask, so the idea of wanting to have it all is strong, as is the idea to opt out of the economy altogether and just share everything. In the end, you just gotta choose what's important to you. For me, I save up for FastLane+ because it's expensive enough just to get there that I might as well get my money's worth. Everyone has priorities, and whatever you choose to prioritize is okay.

In the end, you just gotta choose what's important to you. For me, I save up for FastLane+ because it's expensive enough just to get there that I might as well get my money's worth. Everyone has priorities, and whatever you choose to prioritize is okay.

This is the best advice. Though I feel I'd agree with your political sentiments and feel a lot needs to be done to address the growing inequality, at the end of it, you have to control what you're able to and learn to let go what you can't. I've cut back in areas of my budget that aren't that important to me (various subscription services, cable, movies / other entertainment, etc) in order to budget for trips that I want to take and for splurge things like fast passes.

Companies aren't going to stop offering these upselling opportunities - they'd be terrible businessmen if they did.

Maybe the solution to my gripe (which they also will never do) is just cap the fast lane at a much lower number to keep all the lines moving faster. I don't see that happening though.

I think they are far more likely to raise the prices. If FL lines are really backing up, they probably aren't charging enough.

Keep in mind at most the park can only sell a few hundred season long fast lane passes. My guess is somewhere between 500 and 1000 maximum. For the number of passes that can be sold, $849 makes perfect sense. Last year Kings Island sold out of season long fast lane at $499 until they opened up a second wave part way through the season.

At this point the next step is a chain wide fast lane product, $999 sounds about right to me. Not sure it will be offered, or if it would be worth it if you do not live in Ohio.

Having worked MF, I must admit that the operator controls around FL are pretty weak. Additionally, all of us had different methods with fast lane and how to dump that group into the real line. My strategy was to "zipper" people in and stay as close to a zero discrepancy as possible so that the Fast Lane line was almost close to empty--the strategy was pretty much the same as getting on to a busy highway.

I also noticed that, surprisingly and more often than not, MF had a short line. Only during a "sweet spot" did Fast Lane make a real difference. Otherwise, people were mad they spent their money if the park was empty OR they would be mad they would have to wait in Fast Lane for 30 minutes.

My biggest gripe with the whole system, is the amount that they sell. It needs to be capped off at a much lower number than it currently is. But I guess that $$$ is more important than anything else these days, so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I am starting to hear a lot of grumbling from people visiting the park about the system. Some have even sworn the park off.

I'm not sure what six flags is doing right with there version of the fast lane system, but maybe cedarfair should look into it.

The thing is though I've had fastlane at Carowinds and Kings Island (two other Cedar Fair parks with cheaper prices for fastlane across the board) and I've never had issues with long fastlane lines. They've always been 10 minutes or less. Even for new attractions like Copperhead Strike and Mystic Timbers. And at every Cedar Fair park I've been to (everything outside of California and Canada) the fastlane lines have never affected the regular lines much if at all. It seems like an issue isolated issue to Cedar Point.

FL+ at parks like KI, Carowinds, CW (assuming), and KD give you the best payout. Even during packed haunts I've never waited more than ten minutes during KI and Carowinds visits. In the summer it makes everything walk-on. I'll never go without it.

I personally love Cedar Fair's system of FastLane and I hope they don't change a thing. It's extremely convenient and simple. I too have used it at multiple CF parks and waited virtually zero for everything. I get that it can get a little crazy at Cedar Point, during a busy Saturday last year we waited maybe 15 minutes for Top Thrill Dragster with it, and anywhere from the stairs to about 30 minutes for Steel Vengeance, but that's a brand-new coaster.

One time in early 2017, most things in the park were down and Raptor had a 60-minute fast lane line, but that was more of a fluke. We went to the bar at Chickie's and Pete's instead.

Are there still multiple entrances to CP? If so is it open to all or just CP hotel guests? I recall years ago there were multiple entrances but, then, I believe only guests could use em.

If there are and they're open to all, does anyone know if Coastermania uses them or just the main entrance? Basically, is there anyway I can get as close as possible to the back of the park for the event.

As for FL+ for a summer day I'd imagine it's invaluable. Late season the park was empty enough I didnt need it on much rides. I used it of course, it was handy for Raptor and Valravn (decent ride, I wouldnt wait long but thankfully I walked on 3 times in a row) and esp Maverick and SV. Got 5 rides on SV, which would deff not be possible as the wait was 2+ hours all day long. Even hour early access, walking my quickest wait was already 45 mins! I also got 4 or 5 rides on Maverick. The time saved on these also freed up a bunch for others. Got I think 7 rides on MForce, partly thanks to no line, but also didnt have to use up 4 hours waiting for those two rides. No way I would've managed the day I did without it. If I ever go to CP on a non ERT day I will have FL+

And I thought it worked fine. I was a little surprised it didnt work like some others that choose a time for you, and yes it did mean waits were kinda long. SV was 30-40 mins all day with FL BUT better than 2 hours lol and the lack of limitation was nice.

^If I remember, for CoasterMANIA! in 2017, you had to go through the main entrance to the park. Because all the check-in stuff and schedules and tags to wear, were all taking place, there in the front of the park. I doubt everything has changed since then.

The other entrances (Boardwalk, Marina, Waterparks) opened for everybody, when the park itself opened for business.

IMG_3670.JPG.38e6dedf003a90d5cc31f12265248ae1.JPG

Yep, we had to go through the front entrance to start CM! back in 2017.

Are there still multiple entrances to CP? If so is it open to all or just CP hotel guests? I recall years ago there were multiple entrances but, then, I believe only guests could use em.

If there are and they're open to all, does anyone know if Coastermania uses them or just the main entrance? Basically, is there anyway I can get as close as possible to the back of the park for the event.

I didn't use the main entrance once on my visits last year and I didn't stay at a Cedar Point hotel. I used the Magnum entrance once when I joined the rush to Steel Vengeance. On the other two days, I realized it was smarter to go in the Marina Entrance and get a Millennium Force marathon with the magic gate.

I do not know what they do for Coastermania unfortunately.

Coastermania will only have the main entrance gate open. If you stay at Breakers they will have a shuttle running to get you to the main entrance or you can take the walk down the boardwalk.

I really like the coastermania itinerary this year. Running until 1:30 am will be amazing and I can't imagine that many people will be able to power through a 19 hour day at the park so late night ERT should be pretty empty.

Looks like with this year's CoasterMania schedule the legendary afternoon nap must return. On a serious note I am super excited to go back for it but a little sad I'll be missing my late night Millie rides. Steel Vengeance and TTD are good replacements though!

I applaud the park for offering Wilderness Run ERT during Coastermania to spare families from having to deal with creepy dudes all day long.

I'm also looking forward to all of the enthusiasts who spent an hour hour marathoning Magnum (because let's be real, Dragster will be down) before Steel Vengeance ERT going online after the event and openly wondering why Steel Vengeance hurts their thighs all of a sudden.

"Does anyone know if they changed the restraints???????".

Thanks for the gate info!

I figured they'd only open main for Coastermania but always wanna confirm.

Well, apparently concerns for a rush to the back was unfounded. No SV or Maverick for morning ERT? Yikes. That's a fairly weak ERT session imo I mean Gatekeeper and Valravrn lol. Least I can get those out of the way and not have to worry during the day. Guess I'll still need FL+ lol 11PM is a long time to wait and even being in the park before the crowds arrive I assume everyone will flock SV and I can get maybe a ride in.

And yes yes I know this is great and Im lucky to be part of it, many wont get hours of night ERT please spare me the usual jumping on to flog... I am allowed to be slightly disappointed. Was hoping to get SV and Mav out of the way and not have to really think about em during normal hours.

And I had to take a nap last time because I just didn't have the stamina to go from 7 to 130 lol definitely happening this time.