TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Well I mean, I guess for the sake of the #thrillzz I hope we're wrong and that they're right ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to concern myself much further with CP's 2020 anyway, considering my true KI-fanboy self is already hella amped for the definite B&M and potential giga we're getting next year.

Since we're pretty positive KI is getting a B&M for 2020, what is the likelihood that both of Cedar Fairs Ohio parks are getting a new 20-30 million dollar coaster in the same year? I'd say not too likely. It's okay to not get a new coaster every other year. If you don't expect so much you won't be disappointed.

Like I've said, outside of bringing X-Flight over from GL in 2007, never has Cedar Fair opened a new coaster at both parks in the same year.

And yes, I would agree its okay to not have a new coaster every other year, especially considering they just got what some are calling "the best coaster ever built" (without hyperbole).

Wasn't able to make it to the CP last season, but I won't be surprised if SV takes over Toro for my #1 overall. In fact, I might be surprised if it doesn't.

I guess I'll just keep posting statements then.

Can you just not? Even from your point of view it's all speculation. At some point you just have to agree to disagree.

How about a cash bet on a new 2020 coaster? Any takers?

Bruh. You seriously just stole my next post.

We can argue over the likelihood of Cedar Point constructing a new roller coaster all day long. But, one thing most of us can agree on is that lately there has been a strong correlation between new members and obnoxious posts.

Just for fun, my guess is that the next big coaster will be a controlled spinning coaster from Mack that beats Time Traveler. Tallest, fastest, longest, etc. in a sparse category wouldn't be too hard to achieve, and it'd be a new experience for the park. Cedar Fair is working with Mack on Copperhead Strike, so bingo, bango, bongo -- there it is.

Just for fun, my guess is that the next big coaster will be a controlled spinning coaster from Mack that beats Time Traveler. Tallest, fastest, longest, etc. in a sparse category wouldn't be too hard to achieve, and it'd be a new experience for the park. Cedar Fair is working with Mack on Copperhead Strike, so bingo, bango, bongo -- there it is.

Time Traveler isn't controlled spinning. It's free spinning.

Time Traveler is controlled spinning. Its spinning isn't controlled by a motor, but there is a magnetic (I think) brake on the ride that slows down spinning if it gets faster than a certain speed.

The park actually put a considerable amount of effort into stressing that the spinning is controlled so that it doesn't spin too fast like you'd see on many actual free-spinning rides.

A coaster like Time traveler would be a great addition to CP’s lineup. When my whole family was at SDC (more than 20 of us), Time Traveler was enjoyed by everyone who rode it. CP could use more coasters the whole family can enjoy and that are just fun. When was the last time a family coaster was built (other than Pipe Scream)? Iron Dragon in 1987, 32 years ago? While a ride like Time Traveler might not be ideal if they want a family coaster because it has a 51” height requirement, it would still be a great addition.

Time Traveler is controlled spinning. Its spinning isn't controlled by a motor, but there is a magnetic (I think) brake on the ride that slows down spinning if it gets faster than a certain speed.

The park actually put a considerable amount of effort into stressing that the spinning is controlled so that it doesn't spin too fast like you'd see on many actual free-spinning rides.

Yeah, you're right. But I see that more like "trimmed", as it is not controlled like it's determined when exactly the cars are looking in a certain direction. Each ride may be different, even when there may be a maximum amount of rotations per minute. So the "controlled" factor is still very liberal.

I'd love to see a spinning coaster of any kind at CP. . it's a type they are missing.

(and we loved Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's. . so even something not up to the "level" of Time Traveler, but simply a family spinner like SS, would be a great fit, I think).

I'd love to see a spinning coaster of any kind at CP. . it's a type they are missing.

(and we loved Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's. . so even something not up to the "level" of Time Traveler, but simply a family spinner like SS, would be a great fit, I think).

You know, I'm not usually one to be inclined toward "they need this type" arguments, but I agree with you here. I think spinning coasters are a major category and easily recognizable, right up there with wooden coasters, the ones that go upside down, and the ones that don't go upside down. Beyond those four categories, no one cares.

2020 will be Kings Island's year. CP needs a bit more time to "top Steel Vengeance." I don't think anyone should take this literally. Cedar Point needs not to top their own coasters but to make them unique in their own perfect way, a way that makes it hard to pick your favorite ride. "Top Thrill has the best launch, Raptor has the best loops, or is it Gatekeeper's? Steve's inversions are SO good though. I like Maverick's low turns, but darn I love the sustained speed of Millennium!" The next major coaster will have to step to this level of indecisiveness. It may be easy for us enthusiasts to pick out our favorite, but not the GP. What would capture their attention? Something that visually looks like another major attraction? Or should it be something that most of them haven't experienced, or at least haven't experienced well ...?

2020 will be Kings Island's year. CP needs a bit more time to "top Steel Vengeance." I don't think anyone should take this literally. Cedar Point needs not to top their own coasters but to make them unique in their own perfect way, a way that makes it hard to pick your favorite ride. "Top Thrill has the best launch, Raptor has the best loops, or is it Gatekeeper's? Steve's inversions are SO good though. I like Maverick's low turns, but darn I love the sustained speed of Millennium!" The next major coaster will have to step to this level of indecisiveness. It may be easy for us enthusiasts to pick out our favorite, but not the GP. What would capture their attention? Something that visually looks like another major attraction? Or should it be something that most of them haven't experienced, or at least haven't experienced well ...?

There is a 99% chance that cedar point already has their next coaster planned out and designed.

There is a 99% chance that cedar point already has their next coaster planned out and designed.

And if it is a 2020 attraction (I highly doubt that if we're talking about a bigger coaster than, let's say, Lightning Run) many parts are already produced.

God help me. Can someone please post some pictures of the Ffcking new Italian restaurant so that we can at least talk about something relevant? Who wants to speculate about how many pepperonis will be on each slice of pizza?