TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

If you don't split the cost of a hotel room for one night then Breakers is indeed pricey. Sure I can pack a few 'bros' into a hotel room and get discount tickets, but that's not how many of us on this site operate. I can assure you when Emily and I stayed for a couple nights in June three years ago our cost was comparable to some of the very nice beach front resorts and condos we've stayed at. I want to say that with our taxes and fees we paid around $400 per night. That doesn't factor in what we paid that season for Platinum passes or the FL+ passes we purchased for both days. All said and done, I know it was around $1,500 before we even addressed food and drink. With the total cost of everything from food, gas, drinks, and other amenities, I think we figured we paid pretty close to $2,000.

Consider this: We stayed in a very nice two bedroom beach front condo on beautiful Santa Rosa Island in Pensacola, FL last August. It was right around $2,300 for the entire week after fees. We're talking a modern, updated, well furnished, beautiful condo in a nice complex, vs. a cramped hotel room with a window or two. (And in Bert's case a sh*tter that won't flush) Just for the hell of it, I just priced a room for this June at Cedar Point and it's $2,270 before taxes and fees. Add on what you would pay for tickets, any FL passes, etc., and you're not talking about chump change by any means.

So when people like Bert and I say Breakers is pricey... it is. Granted, some of it depends on the type of experience you want to have, but Breakers and Cedar Point in general can be very pricey.

^

I can second that. We paid around 1,600 $ for three nights Breakers Lakeview Room, three and a half days in the park, one day Fast Lane, All Day Dining Passes for all days. All of that for two persons, so ~800 $ per Person. We would never pay that here in Germany, but for our "One In A Decade Stay" it was worth the convenience. While booking, we thought it was a ripoff and we were concerned that we will be underwhelmed by what we will be getting for this money. But in the end, we are sure that we will never stay off site whenever we will be back.

It just depends on what you are searching. If we were there multiple times a year, we wouldn't pay that every time. But as said, on our next stay we'll be back there again for sure, even if that means we'll have to delay it one year to save for the amount of money needed.

I'm going to the park in early June for two days with friends and while I would love to stay in a place like Breakers, it's simply not in the budget of college students, or at least us anyways. Breakers is a super nice option though and I'm glad that the park has it. Maybe one day in the future I'll stay there, but for now I'll stick to some run down Econo Lodge or Motel 6.

I gotta say, maybe it's the time of the year you went, but being "pricey" is just not true.

Stay Duration Mon. May. 21, 2018 - Tue. May. 22, 2018 (1 night)

Guests 3 adults [48" and taller and under 62 years]

Room Room 2 Queen-Size Beds & Sleeper Chair

Rate 2 Day Ride & Refresh

Total $410.64 ($387.40 + $23.24 Taxes & Fees)

Isolating this. You paid a base rate of $387.40 a night for a two queen bed room on a Monday night in the absolute offest of offseason dates. I have to travel to Iowa this weekend, and I assure you having looked, there likely isn't a single hotel room in the entire state that costs $387.40 a night at base rate. Not even a presidential suite in Des Moines at the fanciest hotels in the city. That's more than my base rate for a two queen bed room last month on a weekend at Disney's Boardwalk.

To be fair, the quoted Ride & Refresh package seems to include park tickets and drink wristbands for 3 people for 2 days.

The key here is definitely the time of year. Having stayed in May 2017 (about $150 per night with tax) and staying again the night of Memorial Day this year (about $195 with tax and pass discount), the price jump from other hotels becomes more reasonable. Of course, visiting in May has its tradeoffs.

As it pertains to 2020 speculation, what I am bemused at is the all clickbait Youtube videos that surfaced in the past 6 months or so, with titles such as "Polar Coaster for CP?" or "RMC T-Rex Giga?"

The creators of these videos are either the victims of wishful thinking or they're just desperate for views, or both.

What these people failed to understand (some of them still fail to understand) is that a company is not going to rush to make yet another huge investment just so that they can have a big ride debut in a year of arbitrary significance.

"Its their 150th! Its their 150th!", they say.

Ok, and suppose that CP just so happened to open in 1868? 1872? 1896? 1914? 1962? etc. instead of 1870. Why would this change anything?

Besides, at this point, if you're one that is still sold on something big coming next year, then I don't know what to tell you other than don't get mad at the park for "letting you down" when they don't announce that RMC t-rex giga you were hoping for.

As mentioned before in this thread we'll probably just be see some "retro" things come back as a nod to the park's history (https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/cedar-point-planning-150th-anniversary-with-retro-ideas-for-2020-what-we-know-so-far/95-145df88a-e120-4f2e-b337-484d5a927c3e).

And thats honestly fine with me. As far as I'm concerned, the coaster lineup right now is stacked beyond recognition.

We should be "set" for a while.

Since we're discussing "Big Anniversaries" at Cedar Point, here's a quick reminder going back to 1995 when the park celebrated "125 Summers"... the big new attraction was the Cedar Point Summer Spectacular laser show.

So as others have stated, just because it's a "Big Anniversary" doesn't mean that the park is adding a 500-foot wooden looping stand-up inverted AquaTrax.

On the topic of the raptor track coasters such as Railblazer and Wonder Woman, they do look like fun rides but I have one question...

How does the lines move for those rides?

8 riders per train?

I don't see how any staff, no matter how efficiently run, could compensate that abysmal capacity.

On the topic of the raptor track coasters such as Railblazer and Wonder Woman, they do look like fun rides but I have one question...

How does the lines move for those rides?

8 riders per train?

I don't see how any staff, no matter how efficiently run, could compensate that abysmal capacity.

can only speak for WW at SFFT, as that's my home park and have ridden it a ton:

keeping in mind that Wonder Woman still has fairly frequent breakdowns (it's a new coaster after all), but they usually resolve in 10 minutes or less each time. . .

IF they are running all 3 trains, and are staffed well enough to the point that they don't need to stop the trains because someone is having trouble understanding the restraints? (ie: explaining the restraints, right side of track operator unlocking and removing rider, left side of track ushering in new rider and helping with restraints. . while the train slowly goes thru the station) The line is almost continuously moving.

the set up for the coaster, is that they "pre-load" 4 trains on the platform before directing the people into the main loading line.. . so there is a continuous feed of riders moving onto the trains - that in theory do not stop when moving thru the station. the train unloads to the right, and as the seat frees up, the new rider steps in from the left.

so if operating as expected, the line really does move well.

during breakdowns, or confused rider messing up the restraints, or if they have to stop the continuous train to allow a rider to get into a stationary train (say from a wheelchair, or someone with mobility challenges), it can slow down the entire line.

but for the most part? it is not a people eater, but it is not as bad as one would think. DareDevilDive at SFOG is a slower load, as are the flying coasters.

my 2cents.

As it pertains to 2020 speculation, what I am bemused at is the all clickbait Youtube videos that surfaced in the past 6 months or so, with titles such as "Polar Coaster for CP?" or "RMC T-Rex Giga?"

The creators of these videos are either the victims of wishful thinking or they're just desperate for views, or both.

What these people failed to understand (some of them still fail to understand) is that a company is not going to rush to make yet another huge investment just so that they can have a big ride debut in a year of arbitrary significance.

"Its their 150th! Its their 150th!", they say.

Ok, and suppose that CP just so happened to open in 1868? 1872? 1896? 1914? 1962? etc. instead of 1870. Why would this change anything?

Besides, at this point, if you're one that is still sold on something big coming next year, then I don't know what to tell you other than don't get mad at the park for "letting you down" when they don't announce that RMC t-rex giga you were hoping for.

As mentioned before in this thread we'll probably just be see some "retro" things come back as a nod to the park's history (https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/cedar-point-planning-150th-anniversary-with-retro-ideas-for-2020-what-we-know-so-far/95-145df88a-e120-4f2e-b337-484d5a927c3e).

And thats honestly fine with me. As far as I'm concerned, the coaster lineup right now is stacked beyond recognition.

We should be "set" for a while.

Well the evidence that we do have points to a coaster. What evidence? Well first, Tony Clark has said that what is coming will be on the same scale as Steel Vengeance if not better. CP has removed the extreme sports stadium, sandcastle suites, and the dorms by Valravn. I don't think they're removing all of that just to plant more flowers. CP keeps buying property on the mainland. Most likely to free up space on the peninsula, and again not to just plant more flowers.

Also, celebrating 150 years is not arbitrary, it's a milestone. Like a couples 50th wedding anniversary. You celebrate milestones by doing something special. Ok, so what park are we talking about? Not Michigan's Adventure... We are talking about America's Roller Coast.. A park that is known for building coasters that break records. An oh by the way did I mention they have been clearing space like crazy recently...So celebrating a milestone with some kind of new record breaking coaster is not unrealistic IMO.

And BTW who's rushing? CP has known what it will be for years now.

Will it be a 500 foot seatbelt only B&M, I don't know... But I think it's pretty safe to say that it will be a coaster and it will break record(s) in some way, shape, or form. It sure as hell won't be just a few retro things. That much I'm sure of.

I saw an interview with Colin Coon from RMC who said the T-Rex can go 500 feet. I don't know if I can post the interview or not, but just google 500 foot t-rex roller coaster and it should be the first video that appears.

Yeah, I'm sure they did design this track to withstand speeds and forces in excess of what it will be required to do in the real world. They're good engineers.

Look, Maverick is made of track that we know can perform at over 400 feet. There are a lot of factors in what actually gets built.

You know what? I've decided I'm on board. 500 foot T Rex for CP's 150th. Can't wait to see the disappointment.

Also, celebrating 150 years is not arbitrary, it's a milestone. Like a couples 50th wedding anniversary. You celebrate milestones by doing something special. Ok, so what park are we talking about? Not Michigan's Adventure... We are talking about America's Roller Coast.. A park that is known for building coasters that break records. An oh by the way did I mention they have been clearing space like crazy recently...So celebrating a milestone with some kind of new record breaking coaster is not unrealistic IMO.

Will it be a 500 foot seatbelt only B&M, I don't know... But I think it's pretty safe to say that it will be a coaster and it will break record(s) in some way, shape, or form. It sure as hell won't be just a few retro things. That much I'm sure of.

You know what? I've decided I'm on board. 500 foot T Rex for CP's 150th. Can't wait to see the disappointment.

Wouldn't it have to be a dueling 500 ft T-Rex on the boardwalk into Lake Erie to match CP's standards?

Or they will do it the easy way and take the record of "most frustrated enthusiasts by one announcement of an amusement park". I think you can put me in that ballpark.

Well the evidence that we do have points to a coaster. What evidence? Well first, Tony Clark has said that what is coming will be on the same scale as Steel Vengeance if not better. CP has removed the extreme sports stadium, sandcastle suites, and the dorms by Valravn. I don't think they're removing all of that just to plant more flowers. CP keeps buying property on the mainland. Most likely to free up space on the peninsula, and again not to just plant more flowers.

If this is a troll post its really good, down to the finest of details.

Tony Clark has said that what is coming will be on the same scale as Steel Vengeance if not better.

No he didn't.

Someone asked him how they could top Steel Vengeance and he said "Don't you worry". All that means is that he's a competent PR guy and that they'll building something that's better (which is entirely subjective) at some point in the future with no timeline whatsoever. It could be decades from now. That's throwaway vague PR speak that's basically guaranteed to be true eventually depending on who you talk to.

This is what he said much more recently.

“We are, of course, planning some big things. The difficult part for us, is what is that gonna be? Is it gonna be a huge attraction? Or is it gonna be multiple experiences? Or is it gonna be retro everything? You can probably plan on there being lots of retro stuff hearkening back to our early history. Some of it from our history that most of us today remember, so things from maybe the ‘70s on. Maybe some new attractions, too. We are planning for that now.”

But wait... There's more!

“If you’re expecting one giant 800-foot roller coaster, probably not gonna happen. But, if you’re expecting multiple cool things, that’s probably more along the lines of what we’re thinking. It’s such a big celebration. You can’t just celebrate with a roller coaster. It’s got to be multiple things, and things for everybody in the family. That’s really what we’re focused on.”

That's their way of telling everyone to chill the f*ck out.