TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Delta and Air France have nonstop flights into Detroit Metro Airport (DTW). It's a 4 hour drive from their to Kings Island and 90 minutes to Cedar Point. We always fly into Detroit and then drive to Kings Island and then go to Cedar Point.

Jim

^, ^^, ^^^

Oh wow, I thought it was longer from Detroit. But The Indy ideal with Holiday world is surely a great one. If we do the bro trip, we'll most surely only will do parks and coasters. We made a big USA trip last year with NASCAR, IMS and Eldora. So as much as I like racing, my friend doesn't, so.. Let's ride coasters

So Holiday World, Cedar Point and Kings Island sounds like a completely well designed scenario for a seven to ten day trip.

Thanks for all your input, mates. I appreciate it. It's nice to get a view from inside!

Ok....

Time for this week's "where in the park is this" picture.

Glassblowing Theater.

If you do HW->KI->CP, I recommend the following:

Fly in or out of Louisville or Evansville rather than Indianapolis. They're both actually significantly closer airports to HW. You'd be connecting in the US obviously, but you have to do that for Indy too. If you fly into Evansville (same goes for Louisville but at least it is all fresh road to drive on vs. going back and forth between HW and KK), then HW, Kentucky Kingdom, KI (and maybe try to time for Strickers Grove while you're at it), Columbus Zoo (small wood coaster but also a *phenomenal* zoo, like stuff that's literally Disney quality for enclosures plus the rides), and then Cedar Point. Then fly out of Cleveland or Detroit.

Ok....

Time for this week's "where in the park is this" picture.

Glassblowing Theater.

If you do HW->KI->CP, I recommend the following:

Fly in or out of Louisville or Evansville rather than Indianapolis. They're both actually significantly closer airports to HW. You'd be connecting in the US obviously, but you have to do that for Indy too. If you fly into Evansville (same goes for Louisville but at least it is all fresh road to drive on vs. going back and forth between HW and KK), then HW, Kentucky Kingdom, KI (and maybe try to time for Strickers Grove while you're at it), Columbus Zoo (small wood coaster but also a *phenomenal* zoo, like stuff that's literally Disney quality for enclosures plus the rides), and then Cedar Point. Then fly out of Cleveland or Detroit.

Yep!

20181027_194049.thumb.jpg.e7693d612d0986ec56ddc7e65e6c2c9f.jpg

^, ^^, ^^^

Oh wow, I thought it was longer from Detroit. But The Indy ideal with Holiday world is surely a great one. If we do the bro trip, we'll most surely only will do parks and coasters. We made a big USA trip last year with NASCAR, IMS and Eldora. So as much as I like racing, my friend doesn't, so.. Let's ride coasters

So Holiday World, Cedar Point and Kings Island sounds like a completely well designed scenario for a seven to ten day trip.

Thanks for all your input, mates. I appreciate it. It's nice to get a view from inside!

I would choose Kentucky Kingdom any day over Holiday World. Lightning Run and Storm Chaser are amazing rides and the Kingdoms flats blow Holiday Worlds out of the water. Though Mammoth is my favorite is my favorite water slide

I did quick google search and you're close to Frankfurt, so I'm just guessing that's where you're planning to fly from. As far as I can tell, I think that Lufthansa offers non stop flights from Frankfurt to Chicago. It's a little over a five hour drive from Chicago to King's Island. That may seem like a long time, but by the time you figure out how long it will take to land, go to your connecting flight, fly to your next destination, and de-plane, I doubt you'll be spending much more time driving than you will dealing with the connecting flight. This could leave you with Six Flags Great America, King's Island, and Cedar Point. All three parks are great. It will also allow you to spend some time in Chicago, if you want to allot for it.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I wanted to present you with another option. For me personally, if I were to spend nine hours on a plane I would want to make it count.

It also looks like the park is open daily immediately. Has it always been like this? I remember the first week or two being weekends only?

Last year, the park was open the first weekend in May before being closed most of the next week, starting daily operations the following Friday (the 11th).

What is the earliest and latest dates Cedar Point has been open?

I did quick google search and you're close to Frankfurt, so I'm just guessing that's where you're planning to fly from. As far as I can tell, I think that Lufthansa offers non stop flights from Frankfurt to Chicago. It's a little over a five hour drive from Chicago to King's Island. That may seem like a long time, but by the time you figure out how long it will take to land, go to your connecting flight, fly to your next destination, and de-plane, I doubt you'll be spending much more time driving than you will dealing with the connecting flight. This could leave you with Six Flags Great America, King's Island, and Cedar Point. All three parks are great. It will also allow you to spend some time in Chicago, if you want to allot for it.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I wanted to present you with another option. For me personally, if I were to spend nine hours on a plane I would want to make it count.

You're definitely having a point there. We'll either fly from Frankfurt (with various opportunities) or from Stuttgart (where my best friend lives), so we'll take that into consideration.

You're all making great suggestions. Maybe we'll delay it into 2020 Then my kiddo will be two years old, maybe the wife and he will join us. We'll see. If we do it alone, we have to make a strong schedule, as we will only make seven to ten days. Two days for flying in and out, two days KI, two days CP, one connecting day and the remaining (maximum) three days for extra fun. I know that sounds strict, but we're definitely planning another family trip as soon as the kid(s) are old enough, so if we'll do that in 2019 it will be like making a park trip in Europe - not like an US holiday. Just go there, do the parks and head home.

Cedar Point used to be open daily immediately, but the past few years they've been doing the "trial run" weekend of sorts before they dive into daily operations. Looks like they're canning that idea for next year.

I also remember at least a few years Cedar Point started their season on a Sunday

Another random question.

I know this is the CP thread, but I didn't find a Walygator Parc thread, so I ask here: Has anyone ridden Raptor at CP as well as Monster in Walygator Parc? For the ones that don't know: It's an almost exact but slightly longer version of Raptor that once was in a japanese park and sits in nothwest France since 2010. As it's only a 90 minute drive frome my hometown, so I consider taking the wife, the kid and some friends there, visit the zoo and show them the awesomeness of a good B&M invert.

My biggest concern is that Monster is somehow rough or just no as good as Raptor, which my wife and I truly love, because of its relocation or bad maintenance.

Another random question.

I know this is the CP thread, but I didn't find a Walygator Parc thread, so I ask here: Has anyone ridden Raptor at CP as well as Monster in Walygator Parc? For the ones that don't know: It's an almost exact but slightly longer version of Raptor that once was in a japanese park and sits in nothwest France since 2010. As it's only a 90 minute drive frome my hometown, so I consider taking the wife, the kid and some friends there, visit the zoo and show them the awesomeness of a good B&M invert.

My biggest concern is that Monster is somehow rough or just no as good as Raptor, which my wife and I truly love, because of its relocation or bad maintenance.

Monster was in awesome shape just two months ago when I rode it. It's argurably better than Raptor - not as attractive a view, but the transition from the helix into the brakes was fixed so it doesn't headbang at all any more. It only runs one train, but there's also no one in the park most days, so you can ride it to your heart's content.

^^^, ^^^^

Thanks, Dirk and Elissa! So we'll be going there in April, as soon as WP reopens or as part of our proposed EP trip! I hope the kid will be tall enough for his first kiddy coaster(s) then!

This weeks "where in the park is this"?

I somehow think I saw such a structure at Gemini, but that may very well be wrong.

It's the blue house, with the blue corvette, and the blue little windows.

Everything is blue for him...

The ridership numbers are out.

Most of these numbers are about what you would expect with attendance being down and with Steel Vengeance pulling everyone to the back. Millennium's mechanical issues probably hurt it a lot also.

For me, the only real takeaways are that the Valravn crew was awesome and that Raptor... um... yeah.

It was an early entry ride for a huge chunk of the season too (which wasn't the case last year).