TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I hate seeing the park taking a beating this season, it's been a rough year ever since SV played bumper cars opening day.

What's going on with Millennium Force is the lift drive motor. It started having fits in June and then progressively got worse to where we are now where they are having trouble rigging it to run. It's my understanding it will take several weeks (beyond the end of the season) to manufacture a new one.

Valravn had lift motor problem also that happened the day before opening day. They've been struggling with it since. I don't believe it's reached the point of needing replacement, but it's not acting right on top of the programming not being as good as it could be.

It's been a rough year with SV and top rides having more than just a minor malfunction. 2 power outages, rain a lot of the weekends in May and most of summer. It just hasn't been the best year, but they happen. MF is going to limp to the finish line, hopefully the rest of the park holds up for Halloweekends.

I know Dragster is very well known for its constant breakdowns, but it also seems to be doing worse this year than it historically has been the past few years. It has been down almost all day for the past few days now. I don’t even think it opened at all today. If it did, it was for an extremely brief amount off time.

Valravn isn't the kind of ride where you're going to go to the park and have it be closed all day, it's just the kind of ride that's going to break down constantly for stupid sh*t throughout the day. It's not unreliable, it's just unreliable for a dive coaster.

Queue Times has this cool new feature where it shows the uptime percentage for the last 7 days (which does include weather delays to be fair) and Valravn is down almost twice as much as (say) Maverick. 11.8% of the time for Maverick vs 20.1% of the time for Valravn.

... Jesus, I think I've hit my coaster-dorking quota for the year now.

Ha.

Interesting stats. One would have thought that Maverick would fair outpace it, but no.

Overall, I have always been impressed with the maintenance staff and the ratio of uptime for Cedar Point rides. Other than Dragster, I am hard-pressed to think of another ride that has been down a full day for mechanical issues (vs. wind) when I have visited. I am actually surprised that Millennium has been struggling, since it always seemed be very reliable.

I know Dragster is very well known for its constant breakdowns, but it also seems to be doing worse this year than it historically has been the past few years. It has been down almost all day for the past few days now. I don’t even think it opened at all today. If it did, it was for an extremely brief amount off time.

We tried to ride Dragster 3 times last year over the course of the summer and failed all 3 times. The in the fall it vaporized a brake fin by railroading it with the catch car at 120 miles per hour and was closed for like 2-3 weeks (which was only a few operating days because it happened during weekend only operation but if it happened in July people would have lost their minds.

Dragster is Dragster. This is normal. Also, look at the flag on the webcam and the fact that’s Raptor has been down most of the day. That’s an indicator that Dragster is down due to high winds. When you combine that with it’s usual mechanical issues that I’m sure it’s having also it’s not going to be a good day for Dragster.

PS: It did run earlier for about 30 minutes or so.

Yeah the breeze here today feels really nice, but the downside is that I know Dragster won't even think about operating again until it dies down.

When I was driving in, I saw 3-4 employees lingering around the bottom of Millennium Force's first drop. Hoping it opens up in the next few days.

And as everyone else has said, Steel Vengeance is incredible.

Dragster is actually having one of it's best seasons in history by the amount of riders it's put through so far this year. It just had some rough time while you were there which is unfortunate.

I hate seeing the park taking a beating this season, it's been a rough year ever since SV played bumper cars opening day.

What's going on with Millennium Force is the lift drive motor. It started having fits in June and then progressively got worse to where we are now where they are having trouble rigging it to run. It's my understanding it will take several weeks (beyond the end of the season) to manufacture a new one.

Valravn had lift motor problem also that happened the day before opening day. They've been struggling with it since. I don't believe it's reached the point of needing replacement, but it's not acting right on top of the programming not being as good as it could be.

It's been a rough year with SV and top rides having more than just a minor malfunction. 2 power outages, rain a lot of the weekends in May and most of summer. It just hasn't been the best year, but they happen. MF is going to limp to the finish line, hopefully the rest of the park holds up for Halloweekends.

Pssssssst. Listen to this guy.

I was there two weeks ago. While in line for Valravn, it broke down. But what was strange is that they announced that it was down while there was literally a train going through the course. It re-opened rather quickly afterwards, but it was odd that they announced it like that. Imagine being a non-enthusiast on that train and hearing that the ride is broken while you're still going through the course, how scary would that be?

On a different note, yesterday I accidentally rode Magnum in the ejector seat, and I’ll just say that it was the most interesting Magnum experience I’ve had in a while. The airtime was so insane to the point where it hurt! Anyone else had experiences with Maggie’s ejector seat? I’d love to here your opinions on it. I honestly didn’t realize I was in that seat until I was halfway up the lift hill

And as everyone else has said, Steel Vengeance is incredible.

I did back seat last night and it was the greatest coaster ride I have ever had. I was honestly shocked that it lived up to if not exceeded all my high expectations for it. What a great addition to the lineup!

I was there two weeks ago. While in line for Valravn, it broke down. But what was strange is that they announced that it was down while there was literally a train going through the course. It re-opened rather quickly afterwards, but it was odd that they announced it like that. Imagine being a non-enthusiast on that train and hearing that the ride is broken while you're still going through the course, how scary would that be?

That happened to me yesterday while in line for Valravn. Breakdowns can happen with a train on the course. For example, yesterday as a train was on the course, the train in the station was ready to be unloaded, the restraints opened, but the big gate at the front of the station, in front of the tracks wasn’t fully closed yet.

It was a simple computer timing glitch, but it had to go down for a good few minutes, although a train was still cycling at the time.

I thought everything was rolling pretty good last Friday - with the exception of the two power outages, of course.

I think Dragster ran for most of the day on Thursday when we were in Cedar Shores and then seemed to be up for most of the time on Friday. The only rides that I recall seeing down briefly (according to the app) on Thursday was Rougarou early in the afternoon and Valravn towards the end of the evening.

On a different note, yesterday I accidentally rode Magnum in the ejector seat, and I’ll just say that it was the most interesting Magnum experience I’ve had in a while. The airtime was so insane to the point where it hurt! Anyone else had experiences with Maggie’s ejector seat? I’d love to here your opinions on it. I honestly didn’t realize I was in that seat until I was halfway up the lift hill

I did, this past Sunday. On a full bladder. My enjoyment of the ride has been gradually growing, but that (riding Magnum with a full bladder) was a mistake I won't be making again. I saw stars.

When I'm planning to go to a new park, I immediately try to find (usually online maps) where the Bathrooms generally are.

I did it with Cedar Point, when Bert and I were there, last summer...Good things to know, y'know?

At my age. And I've already forgotten where they are, now.

IMG_7755a.JPG.b4a8efad1be2b9abc44688195861cf6a.JPG

The most bizarrely located bathrooms at our PNE: "Past the Blue Cement Walls, below the West Coast Wheel."

Have a trip planned for this upcoming weekend - Cedar Point on Saturday and Kings Island Sunday. All inclusive tickets pre-purchased for each. Very sad to see that it looks like it will be a wash out. Will be my wife's first time to each park. Really was hoping for better luck.

I got a ride on Dragster yesterday morning around 10:30am. After that it was down for most if not all of the day. I don't think it was mechanical as I occasionally saw it cycling empties, it was wind related. Unfortunately there was a steady wind coming from the south off of the mainland, which is bad news if you are wanting to ride Dragster.

Have a trip planned for this upcoming weekend - Cedar Point on Saturday and Kings Island Sunday. All inclusive tickets pre-purchased for each. Very sad to see that it looks like it will be a wash out. Will be my wife's first time to each park. Really was hoping for better luck.

Saturday looks like an excellent day at Cedar Point. Low wind, 85 degrees, intervals of clouds and sun and a 40% chance of a brief passing afternoon storm (so a 60% chance of nothing). Sunday at Kings Island looks sunny with a slight chance of a passing afternoon storm. What's the problem?

Trip Report August 26/27

So a friend and I have been planning a trip months prior for both Kings Island and Cedar Point. Unfortunately I had a accident with my kneecap and thought I couldn't go. We got our money back from Kings Island but the Econo Lodge for Cedar Point has a no money back policy. Turns out my leg had a pretty good recovery and the policy was a good excuse to at least do half the trip we planned spending Sunday and Monday at Cedar Point. We arrived on Saturday just to scout of the town and discovered a recently open brew pub named Bait House. It already seemed to have regulars and it was set in a historic 1800's house which had 4 decent beers, a peach juice like IPA called "Hook Line & Sinker" was their best. Great patio and a food truck is right outside for meals, though we didn't get anything to eat.

Anyways the next day we arrived at the park and was overwhelmed with the coasters popping out, specifically Gatekeeper with it's majestic wings taking broad swoops over the front entrance. I knew it was going to be a great day. The crowds were large, but nowhere near the insane amount of people I often see at CW and I already knew I was gunning for Steel Vengence first.

Day 1

Steel Vengence--- Simply the best coaster I have ever been on from the first couple bunny hops until the last dash towards the final breakrun stopping at insane speeds. The amount of inversions that force you to guess which side is up and a second half which is arguably as great as the first is worth the hour and a half wait we had at the beginning of the day. What a beauty, if this is where the future of coasters is heading then we are truly in the golden age of coaster design.

Maverick--- My second favourite ride there. Great que line theme and enjoy all of the quick turns and beyond 90 degree drop through rocks and the lake. I am saddened that Intamin will never make another one for the CF chain since it makes backlot look like a Whacky Worm.

Skyhawk--- Great flat ride with an intense sound that makes it that much more enjoyable. I just wish it was a longer ride cycle, especially with a walk on que.

Rougarou--- First floorless coaster for myself and I quite enjoyed the backseat where it wasn't as jittery and had a decent amount of force

Blue Streak--- Oldest coaster Ive been on and it did a number to my legs, but I still enjoyed the classic feel to it.

Raptor--- First B&M invert Ive been on and it just makes me mad at Cedar Point that this was the reason we didn't get one at CW. I loved it, and it makes me never want to ride an SLC again.

Gatekeeper--- I quite enjoyed the restraints on it being I'm the kind of rider who loves to have many things to grab while going down the first drop. This is a coaster for people who want to go on a big boy coaster yet feel like they're in a Lazy River. I enjoyed the keyhole elements and just the views of the front of the park, its a shame it doesn't get as much love as it deserves.

Wicked Twister--- Wait line was short but wait time was remarkably long because of the restraints. It was a great front row ride and it made me question if the track should be extended more, just in case.

Valravn--- It was interesting to be on my first dive and get a glimpse of what CW is getting next year. I enjoyed the first drop and the immelmen but I can see why a lot of people don't see the need for the second drop. I'd rather include different elements as well.

Corkscrew--- Classic Arrow looper. It was feeling it's age but I'm glad I rode it. I do enjoy the interactions with the pathways underneath.

Magnum XL-200--- The OG hyper coaster made me worried for my life. The first half is great up until right after the second tunnel and then your legs get a thrashing and I swore my lapbar was coming undone. Happy I rode it, but never again.

Gemini--- Celebrating 40 years and I'd swear it's not older than 30. I was on the red train and we annihilated blue by a significant margin. Much more gentle to my body than I was expecting. Good Fun.

Cedar Creek Mine Ride--- Enjoyed the atmosphere even thoughthe lapbar felt like a vice grip on my legs.

Millennium Force--- While being closed all day we managed to find it operating and had a dusk ride. Same seats as Ride of Steel which I enjoyed because of the side handles. It was a great ride and while quite intense, I still prefer Leviathan in the giga category.

Maverick--- Night ride, same intense quick turning fun but with the added bonus for all the flies you can eat! I do prefer this in the daytime as I enjoy getting blinded out of the tunnel.

Steel Vengence--- Nightride on this beautiful piece of art is even better with you not knowing when the lift drops and while you don't see as many of the head choppers as in the day, I feel as though you hearing it all pass by is even more terrifying.

Day 2

Gatekeeper--- Waking up with this coaster having no line is better than coffee. still as graceful and majestic as I remembered.

Rougarou x2--- My friend went on TTD and I didn't really feel like going up that high, so I did a front row and back row back to back rides, I might like it a little bit more than Raptor, but the jury is still out.

Power Tower--- Enjoyed getting shot up a lot more than drop towers, great view of the north side and the lake.

Iron Dragon--- Needed to ride it being a relative of Vortex. While not as intense, it was still worth riding.

Train ride--- Great way to see the park and just relax for a while.

Maverick--- One last ride before leaving. This ride is too good to me. I'm happy it didn't break down once since we were there since I hear it's quite common.

Overall I had a great weekend and met some awesome people there including some members of ACE. I'm definitely looking forward to going again next year and hitting up KI finally.

A couple +/-

Great selection of food, we enjoyed the Smokehouse brisketone day and Chickie and Pete's philly cheesesteak the other

Excelent diversity of coasters and a lot of firsts for me

Loved all of the historical buildings in Frontier Town from the blacksmiths to the petting zoo and the music really suited the overall vibe. The park was really lucky to get a lot of historical buildings still in great shape.

The park needs more exciting flats, after PT, SH and MA, it's kind of ho hum

I'm not a big fan of the enterance. It's not very grand and the architecture is all over the place. It has a very different vibe than Frontier or the boardwalk area of the park. Also the merrygoround and pirate ship is too close to the entrance causing a lot of people to skip them entirely while they go deeper into the park.

The park just needs more balance with flats, dark rides and theatre/performances.

^ as someone who just did CP for 3 days with an injured Quad. . . I can imagine how that must have been with a bad knee! that's a lot of walking.

(I did LOTS of breaks, and mainly rides that didn't involve sitting down / bending leg to get in. . tho "hanging rides were an issue too (hello Raptor & Windseeker), unless I braced my injured leg out with the good leg).

also helped to ride things after resting my leg a bit, or in the morning before too many issues with pain.

glad you seemed to have a good time despite the ride issues.