TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I could see a zip line type ending at the witches wheel...

This is exactly how disappointments like Kings Island announcing the Antique Cars happen. People post stuff like this, over-hyping and over-expecting something and then in reality, when it just becomes an "interactive game" played in the old Dinosaurs Alive area with no "amusement ride" factor in it at all, people get disappointed.

It was really frustrating for me watching everyone lose-their-shit over the Kings Island announcement when there was NOTHING WRONG with it, simply because a bunch of people on the internet built it up more than what the park ever promised or teased about.

I worry that the same thing is going to happen here.

People are already talking about "building stuff" and "zip lines" and there no evidence AT ALL about any of that happening!

The freaking clue was a pencil. Which could be as simple as being used on a score card that you'll keep while playing the interactive games and going on tasks around this new area.

Seriously people, the more you post things like "I think they'll be a zipline" the more that turns into "Fake News" and next thing you know we'll have Trump in office for another four years. So let's STOP with the made-up crap so that doesn't happen! Ok? Thank you.

....The freaking clue was a pencil. Which could be as simple as being used on a score card that you'll keep while playing the interactive games and going on tasks around this new area....

Mini Golf!

I am kidding, I have absolutely no idea what's coming up. But I'm sure it will be awesome, at Cedar Point!

People are already talking about "building stuff" and "zip lines" and there no evidence AT ALL about any of that happening!

The freaking clue was a pencil. Which could be as simple as being used on a score card that you'll keep while playing the interactive games and going on tasks around this new area.

Or writing stuff down as part of the tasks. Knott's stuff is literally "run around with a stick horse", playing bingo, doing scavenger hunts, and spending a lot of time interacting with people in character. If that's the future of theme parks, much as I felt after doing the video game rides at HubZero in Dubai, I am extremely not interested.

In other news... it would appear after scrolling through my Instagram feed that Dragster opened tonight with it’s shiny new cable. Queue Times doesn’t show this, but that’s probably because it never needed to post a wait time above 0 minutes today.

I absolutely loved Adventure Mountain at Dollywood and super loved Camp Discovery at Shanghai Disneyland. Cedar Point could pull of something like that if they wanted, not sure if that's what this is, but I would love that and think it would be a great addition for the park.

...it could also be somewhat temporary if we learned anything from Dollywood!

I mean, thankfully, Adventure Mountain was sold, relocated, and reconfigured instead of being demolished. I would love to see a super-amazing new ropes course in a US theme park.

In other news... it would appear after scrolling through my Instagram feed that Dragster opened tonight with it’s shiny new cable. Queue Times doesn’t show this, but that’s probably because it never needed to post a wait time above 0 minutes today.

Exciting news, I'll be honest I was curious if it would be open soon but figured that most people here knew just as much as I did about when it would be open and I didn't want to be horribly annoying. Hoping to get on it tomorrow, last time I rode it there was 2004 and there was a 2 hour line.

I will probably like it a lot more if there is a quicker wait time.

Or writing stuff down as part of the tasks. Knott's stuff is literally "run around with a stick horse", playing bingo, doing scavenger hunts, and spending a lot of time interacting with people in character. If that's the future of theme parks, much as I felt after doing the video game rides at HubZero in Dubai, I am extremely not interested.

The Knott's Ghost Town Alive and HubZero are two very different things. HubZero IMO was just another "virtual reality" park filled with "attractions" that weren't good video games or rides. Ghost Town Alive is actually fun and interactive with REAL people. It's not a "ride" or an "attraction" in any way, but it's super fun.

I've done a few of these "interactive theater" types of things now and I really like them a lot.

The best part of about it is that if you don't do it, you're not missing anything and it won't take away from your day at the park. It's purely optional.

Edited by robbalvey

So my friends and I are road tripping down to CP for Sat, Sun and possibly half of Monday for the first time.

With the weather being 30% thunderstorms, do you see the need for fastpass?

Should I presume to rush to Steel Vengeance first?

What are the best food options?

What are some great Restaraunts and bars in the area?

Is there anything outside the park worth going to?

^^ Famous Dave's is a pretty good lunch spot on the park peninsula, outside the Marina gate right on the water. If you are staying on property, do the early entry and head straight to Steel Vengeance. Best to get it out of the way, and you can try to come back to it later in the day if you feel like waiting.

Outside the park, my favorite for the past couple years has been Small City Taphouse which is in downtown Sandusky. Amazing tap list, and very good sushi.

Nice report.

Valravyn 3x- I absolutely love this coaster and don't understand the negative opinions. To each their own but it seemed as good or even better to me than Sheikra and Griffon. The splash down has never done anything for me other than its aesthetics.

I actually really came to enjoy Valravyn last trip. I mean, I always liked it, but for some reason I really enjoyed the drop in the back row this time and found the airtime hill and inversions to be a little more interesting. Who knows why. It's funny how some rides can be experienced a little differently from time to time, maybe depending on expectations and mood. As I get older, rides don't necessarily need to be so bat shit crazy to be enjoyable.

I will say, however, that although Valravyn's layout is better than Sheikra and Griffon, I think the second drops on those rides are better experiences. Specifically, dropping into a tunnel and into a ravine, respectively, makes the drops feel a little more intense, to me at least. I like all three of them for different reasons.

Gatekeeper 2x- This was my biggest question mark of the trip. What a beautiful coaster and I love the entire gatekeeper plaza. I will say that I absolutely loved the ride but totally understand the criticism of the MCBR and what follows. Seems like they were so creative for most of the ride and then got real tired and just wanted to finish up the design in order to go to bed. Still an amazing ride.

I actually don't get the criticism of the MCBR and what follows. It's not a "mid-course" anything --- it's basically an almost-end-of-the-course brake. The vast majority (what, 80%?) of the ride happens before the MCBR, and it's lots of cool stuff over thousands of feet of track. There is only a little turn /helix and then a little bump hill into the final brake. To me, the "MCBR" on Gatekeeper is almost (but not quite) like the brake on the final tunnel exit from Magnum. So, if you didn't like what preceded the MCBR on Gatekeeper, so be it, but that's where the ride is actually located.

I love Gatekeeper as a change of pace, re-rideable, just "fun" ride. The right front outboard seat is cool, with that insane hanging upside down first drop and soaring over the airtime hill, with those views. Must be a sign of old age.

We just have a regular 2 day pass and we are going to 've just offsite.

Okay. So, first off I want to apologize.

I hate when some a**hole shows up and tells you what you should have done when it's too late to do it but this sucks and it sucks so much that I feel like if it were me I'd call the park, be super, super nice and hope that they take pity on me and see if there's anything they could do. The answer is probably no, but it's worth asking.

They were running a deal on Platinum Passes that ended about 36 hours ago that included all of next season and unlimited visits this season and a free Fastlane Plus. The deal is now that you only get one visit this season and no free Fastlane.

Had you done that (assuming they would have let you upgrade your tickets which I'm not 100% sure of but I know Six Flags does that), you would get 1 hour Early Entry all 3 days, free parking all 3 days, free admission every day including that third day that you're on the fence about, free Fastlane Plus for Sunday and you'd save about $50 each on your Fastlane Plus for Saturday since you get Plus for the price of regular. Plus you'd save on everything you buy at the park (and park-owned restaurants outside the park and you'd have a season pass to every park in the chain until the end of next year.

That said, assuming they can't help you and you keep these tickets then there's strategically no point in going to Steel Vengeance first without Fastlane Plus because it'll have a 90-120 minute wait by the time you get there on Saturday. Honestly I'd probably go to Dragster or Millennium Force. Millennium Force would have been running for an hour also but the line should still be manageable. Dragster doesn't open until 10:00 anyway. That said, if you can't help yourselves and you're super hyped to ride Steel Vengeance then I mean... go for it. I get it.

Call the park though. I'm not optimistic but the worst they can say is no and it's always worth asking.

Well, weather looks good here for tomm (so for once I may actually not have my flights delayed) and looks clear for Fri.

Seems mother nature is gunna hold off

I will be there tomorrow and Friday as well...can't wait!

Awesome!

Sadly just Friday for me. Well, if by some chance you see me around feel free to say hi. I will be that guy running around alone

but also will be wearing probably a NY Giants shirt

I happen to be going Friday as well. That will help with the "TPR Takeover" lol.

Ha awesome! Well, I will be wearing a Pink Floyd shirt tomm, if anyone sees me feel free to yell out.

Sure, I'm likely not to be the only one so could be awkward but, oh well

Noob question btw, Ive never used FL here. I printed out my FL+ I assume I take it to the gate when I enter. What do they give you? How does the FL+ work here? Wristband? I reckon it doesn't take too long to do, but to be safe is there any significant amount of time I need to give myself to be ready for early access?

Yeah, Im trying to withhold excitement and failing

^You don't take it to the gate. Bring it to any one of the many retail shops that offer FL. Most gift shops seem to sell them, just look for the FL sign in front of the shop. They don't start selling them until 10:00, they don't sell them during ERT. And, yes, you will get a wristband. Have fun, I want to go back!

As long as you're there when the gates open for early access, you'll be fine. You don't really need to give yourself any extra time.

FL works easy. Just go to the clearly marked FL entrance and show them your bands. A few of the larger coasters now have an area where you have to scan your FL bands at the FL entrance. Then, you have to scan them again at the station. Either way, there's an employee there to help instruct you.

As others have said, get your FL band from one of the many shops that sell the passes. Otherwise, you'll be waiting. These shops will be clearly marked and they're pretty much everywhere gifts are sold. Spring for the Funpix if you can swing it. Have fun.

Ah see, didn't know they don't sell em during early access. That certainly eliminates my question.

Glad I asked! I deff would not have thought to have done that and yall just saved me some time and effort.

Seems odd, I mean I paid, I got this big receipt, just give it to me easy but I reckon this is a great way to get people to go to the gift shops!

Thanks all, and Doug glad you enjoyed!

Ive gotten spoiled, been idk 7, 8 times so its something to go with a ton of excitement over a new ride.