TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Since I may not have anybody to ride with this year (and maybe from now on), I do want to get to Cedar Point to ride Steel Vengeance at least one more time. I was going to skip this year, but who knows what the next year will bring. I also can't drive, but there is an Amtrak hub in my city. So I'm considering taking AmTrak there. The Sandusky station is less than 5 miles form the park, a distance I could easily walk on foot.

The only problem is I have never ridden on a train, which makes this kind of a bold move for me. I would also have to figure out lodging. And I'm sure I will have to have a Taxi or other service to drive me across the causeway. There didn't seem to be an area that was made for walking across.

I would appreciate any tips from anyone on here who has Amtraked to Cedar Point. Please and thank you!

Well, sounds like you're pretty hardy if stops in the middle of the night and an hour and a half walk don't scare you. I wouldn't recommend walking across the causeway, though; it's just wide enough for the four lanes of traffic and guard rails on both sides. There is no walkway because you're probably the first person in history to consider walking it, lol. Take the train, but catch an Uber to the park.

I don't drive either and when I was looking to go this year, I saw a lot of taxi companies you could try. I wound up trying to push it back a year to 2019 in hopes I'll have my license by then and can rent a car. Regardless of that, I'm going either way next year.

Since I may not have anybody to ride with this year (and maybe from now on), I do want to get to Cedar Point to ride Steel Vengeance at least one more time. I was going to skip this year, but who knows what the next year will bring. I also can't drive, but there is an Amtrak hub in my city. So I'm considering taking AmTrak there. The Sandusky station is less than 5 miles form the park, a distance I could easily walk on foot.

The only problem is I have never ridden on a train, which makes this kind of a bold move for me. I would also have to figure out lodging. And I'm sure I will have to have a Taxi or other service to drive me across the causeway. There didn't seem to be an area that was made for walking across.

I would appreciate any tips from anyone on here who has Amtraked to Cedar Point. Please and thank you!

Since you can't walk on the causeway you have to take the "back road" to the park, which is way out of the way. Google Maps calls that an 11 mile, nearly 4 hour walk. More power to you. I'd blow my brains out.

AmtrakCPwalk.thumb.jpg.1587ecfbfb368cfc0547f9f6d0d39504.jpg

Someone on the USA trip used an Uber 2 weeks ago, so it's available. You might have to wait for a bit but it's available. You also seem like someone who's never used it before, so if you need a referral to get a free $20 credit PM me.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Uber it is!

First off, I am totally aware of the gravity of the situation. And I have this mental picture of how totally STUPID I would look, walking across the thin, rocky shoulder of the causeway, or even the back way and up to the kiosks. And if I actually pulled that off, the employees at parking lot would probably be talking about me for the rest of the season.

I've walked all over the Illinois cities of Galesburg & Pekin, and my bicycle is my main form of transportation. I've actually never Taxied or Ubered yet. So that is why I was briefly considering the option. It has just been my way of life. But I know Sandusky, though smaller in population, has killer thru traffic. Even walking to the ferry would be impractical, especially as I get nearer to Cedar Point.

Since I have never ventured out alone before, this trip is going to make me jittery. Screwing up my itinerary can mean a homeless night in Sandusky, I'm a little too careful for that.

I'll probably wait about a month to make this move in hopes my group is able to miraculously reassemble in time and pull off another trip this year. Though I'm a bit off topic, I must give said group a salute. They are probably about the only group of true friends I have ever had, and I have really missed their prescience this year.

Someone on the USA trip used an Uber 2 weeks ago, so it's available. You might have to wait for a bit but it's available. You also seem like someone who's never used it before, so if you need a referral to get a free $20 credit PM me.

Thank you! I'll let you know if/when I decide to head out there. And you're right, I have never used those services before. I'm sort of a midwestern Crocodile Dundee.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Uber it is!

First off, I am totally aware of the gravity of the situation. And I have this mental picture of how totally STUPID I would look, walking across the thin, rocky shoulder of the causeway, or even the back way and up to the kiosks. And if I actually pulled that off, the employees at parking lot would probably be talking about me for the rest of the season.

Nah we wouldn’t talk about you, we’ve had far more interesting things happen than someone walking across the causeway. By the way walking on the causeway is prohibited due to the fact there is no sidewalk and that people speed over the high bridge and is such a major blind spot that it is very dangerous for anyone to walk across. We get calls almost every day to go pick someone up off the causeway that is walking, jogging, bike riding, and fishing. My suggestion is to get a cab and or Uber/lyft.

Is it raining at CP right now? I’ve never seen this short of a wait for SV. I would think weather would be the reason, but TTD is open and we all know that thing wouldn’t be open in rain. What is going on?

C7CF7ED5-C5A0-4F94-9222-2A667BFC8AB4.thumb.jpeg.e92839df85e1ea84174b01664b0e8b1a.jpeg

Only 30 minutes for SV!

There has been a bit of mist, but only a couple moments of actual rain. I guess the combination of weather and school being back in session has made for a very light day at the park. SV’s line has been short all afternoon, got a solo ride on Valravn at 9:30 during early entry, MF barely past the magic gate, etc.

Great day to be at the park. Forecast looked terrible but other than a couple quick and light showers, it was cloudy and a bit breezy.

MF hasn't had a line past the ramp all day (caught a couple rides that had a line out to the exit station), walked right onto TTD about 30 mins ago. SV and Maverick both 45 minute waits. Everything else I came across was a complete walk on but never got down to the front gate area so don't know if Raptor, Valvavn, or Gatekeeper had anything much.

we wouldn’t talk about you, we’ve had far more interesting things happen than someone walking across the causeway. By the way walking on the causeway is prohibited due to the fact there is no sidewalk and that people speed over the high bridge and is such a major blind spot that it is very dangerous for anyone to walk across. We get calls almost every day to go pick someone up off the causeway that is walking, jogging, bike riding, and fishing. My suggestion is to get a cab and or Uber/lyft.

Haha okay. I wasn't actually serious about walking the causeway, that was a joke on my part. But I was serious about walking most of the way from the station, and I've since ruled that out today. I'm not that short on money this summer, and I'm just not familiar enough with those parts of Sandusky to be taking midnight walks.

I'm actually surprised to hear of others actually attempting to walk the causeway though. LOL That takes guts...or stupidity! I couldn't do it.

I was at the park today too. The rain / mist was on and off several times during the day. That kept the people away. I got a total of 42 rides in today. I left at 7:30 this evening.

C.P. has always got to due something stupid every time I visit. Today they were running 1 train on Magnum. I have never seen that before in it's 29 years of existence! I thought I'd be able to marathon Maggie today with the lite crowds and weather but no. Now I've said it and I feel better.

^ 42 rides? That's an interesting random number. On.....? Dare I suggest, SV?

#curious-of-me

Pardon if I sound dissive, but I am still not aware of "assumption" being accepted as the norm.

I consider assumption to be impolite. A number does not define the ride or coaster.

The poster could have meant Maverick. I just wanted to know which one. Or....several?

(I would do several tens{?} of rides on Maverick, done!)

I was at the park today too. The rain / mist was on and off several times during the day. That kept the people away. I got a total of 42 rides in today. I left at 7:30 this evening.

C.P. has always got to due something stupid every time I visit. Today they were running 1 train on Magnum. I have never seen that before in it's 29 years of existence! I thought I'd be able to marathon Maggie today with the lite crowds and weather but no. Now I've said it and I feel better.

Also running 4 trains on Maverick, which meant the 2 on course both had to be completely onto the brake run before the 2 in the station could be sent. Results in 1-2 minutes of trains just sitting there after each load.

^ 42 rides? That's an interesting random number. On.....? Dare I suggest, SV?

#curious-of-me

Pardon if I sound dissive, but I am still not aware of "assumption" being accepted as the norm.

I consider assumption to be impolite. A number does not define the ride or coaster.

The poster could have meant Maverick. I just wanted to know which one. Or....several?

(I would do several tens{?} of rides on Maverick, done!)

Sorry I don't keep track of the number per ride just the total number. I can tell you 0 on Raptor (down a lot), and 0 SV. I just can't take the drama there, so I just pass. I have a lot more fun on other rides there.

Today they were running 1 train on Magnum.

I've seen this on a couple trips before, it's not uncommon. It even happened on my last trip back in late May 2018.

Once the station wait got full, they brought another train on in like 5 minutes. It really has to do with the line wait and capacity that day. If they can go a whole day without an additional train on the tracks, that's one less train inspection the mechanics have to do the next morning. Even with 1 train ops, I don't think I've ever had more than a station wait for the ride, which amounts to OH MY GOD maybe 20 minutes?

Perfect for me...I'll finish my fresh cut fries with malt vinegar and ketchup...

...you have to take the "back road" to the park, which is way out of the way. Google Maps calls that an 11 mile, nearly 4 hour walk.

Wow. How have I NEVER noticed that back road to the park? I can't imagine that's just an employee road. Maybe for when they're shipping track of new coasters? Can you take that road as a guest? Seems to be different than the Feedmill Road that Employees take to get to their parking lot at Magic Mountain.

Is it raining at CP right now? I’ve never seen this short of a wait for SV. I would think weather would be the reason, but TTD is open and we all know that thing wouldn’t be open in rain. What is going on?

So...on my last trip, Steel Vengeance did not go down for ANYTHING weather related. They were pumping out trains rain or shine the only time they stopped was when the ride was broken down for other SteVe reasons. I rode MF in the rain. I rode Valravn in the rain. Now I know people are so used to talking crap on CP operations when so much as a cloud shows up, but that was NOT the case for us in May. I think TTD closed down with the storms during the day, but that was pretty much it, and the people riding or in line just waited for it to clear up.

The weather at CP is so sketchy but you can tell when it's just gonna be 30 mins of rain because you can see the clouds move and it'll seem like a butt-ton of storm for like 20 minutes then the sun comes out and it's like nothing happened then they start cycling TTD pretty much immediately. They don't even test run, once the rain is gone, they just load riders and get back to business.

Cedar Point generally won’t run their Arrows in the rain unless they take them down to one train. They probably figured that since crowd levels were low anyway it made sense to just take Magnum down to one and leave it there so they didn’t have to close it every time it started raining again.

Indeed, the magic gate was a wonderful bonus to being at the park today. We got a BUNCH of rides in on Millennium today as well as 2 rides on SV in the morning during early entry (sort of - since it was down until probably 9:45 or so) within 20 minutes - no fast lane required. As well as nearly walk ons for everything else! We were outta there by 5:30pm (mainly to help allow us to get back home at a reasonable hour). Rainy school days are certainly some of the best for crowd levels at the park!

12BA284C-9200-4496-A0F0-88E255B95415.thumb.jpeg.c2a1019ee74e00d7b6048fc2d03ea856.jpeg

The "back road" is the Chaussee. It was the 2nd road to Cedar Point, it opened 50-60 years before the main causeway. It is currently open to the public although over the last several decades more and more signs have been put up to dissuade the public from using it.

It is a nice drive under some weeping willows until you get to the lake, then you make a sharp left and go past a lot of expensive homes for about 4 miles til you reach the park.

It only makes sense to take it if you are coming from the east. Unless you just want the experience. Rumors have been around for years that it will be closed to the public.

In my experience the time taking the causeway vs Chaussee is pretty much the same.