TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

How does the place tend to be on Sundays? I figure most people would be leaving Sunday after a Friday-Saturday sort of trip (which is what I made the mistake of doing last time).

Typically not quite as jammed up as a busy Saturday but probably still crowded by weekday standards. I've gone on some regular summer Sundays thinking that maybe weekend vacationers would be heading home, but each time it was fairly busy.

A few Sundays coming up might be a different story once most kids are back in school. There's usually a little pocket toward the end of August where all days except Saturday tend to be pretty good times to visit the park.

With CCMR teaser poster, the #5 car is upside-down... suspended woodie confirmed!

But for real, could the 5 in the diagram be a 5 part expansion plan? Maverick, Professor Delbert's Frontier Fling, SV, could be parts 1-3 or a 5 part master plan to reinvigorate the back of the park? And all 5 having a Cedar Creek Mining Company theme/story tying them together? Granted, PDFF doesn't really fit the "story" but has been very recently moved and incorporated nicely into the Frontier Trail part of the park.

To continue the agument that CP is running out of room (which they are not, cough cough) CCMR does have a lot of wasted space. They could easily put a family coaster AND thrill coaster in that area. Think Taron and Raik at Phantasialand, two coasters interwoven to make one awesome area. It "could" happen...

All of that to say, CP is really making some great overall improvements to the park, and I'm excited for the next several years to see what's next!

The CCMR teases are a bit strange. I kind of think they're just hinting at new trains (likely with individual lap bars so as to reduce the height restriction) and cosmetic upgrades, but is there really any need to have five trains? Do the queues warrant this (even bearing in mind new trains will open the ride up to a larger audience)?

Mine Ride sucks, I wouldn't bat an eye if they removed it. It's on prime expansion space too

It's a great ride for family's....even though the height requirement is 48 inches for some reason. Every coaster can't be 100 mph and 500 feet tall.

Even by family coaster standards, Mine Ride is awful. I don't get why people immediately equate "taking out a sucky mine train" to "replacing all the family friendly rides with x t r e m e t h r i l l s"

There are tons of other family friendly coasters that would utilize that space better than CCMR. It has the same height requirement as Millennium Force and is on probably the best expansion space CP has. A smaller GCI like InvadR, or even just a less sucky mine train (although that won't happen) would be great there. It's not blasphemous (is it???) to think that even for a family coaster CCMR is laughably bad.

Just a friendly reminder that Firechaser Express is awesome, has a 39 inch height requirement and every park needs a ride just like it immediately.

That same ride would also have a 48 inch height requirement at Cedar Point for some reason.

Just a friendly reminder that Firechaser Express is awesome, has a 39 inch height requirement and every park needs a ride just like it immediately.

I haven't ridden Firechaser Express, but considering its very low height requirement and VERY broad appeal, I'm surprised more parks aren't picking up Gerstlauer family coasters. I think something like this would work very well at Cedar Point. Even if it was 42" instead of 39", that's still much better than 48".

Mine Ride sucks, I wouldn't bat an eye if they removed it. It's on prime expansion space too

It's a great ride for family's....even though the height requirement is 48 inches for some reason. Every coaster can't be 100 mph and 500 feet tall.

Even by family coaster standards, Mine Ride is awful. I don't get why people immediately equate "taking out a sucky mine train" to "replacing all the family friendly rides with x t r e m e t h r i l l s"

There are tons of other family friendly coasters that would utilize that space better than CCMR. It has the same height requirement as Millennium Force and is on probably the best expansion space CP has. A smaller GCI like InvadR, or even just a less sucky mine train (although that won't happen) would be great there. It's not blasphemous (is it???) to think that even for a family coaster CCMR is laughably bad.

I disagree.

For a family ride, it was the only coaster my daughter wanted to ride over and over again. She outgrew the kid coasters(Woodstock and jr gemini), and loves mine ride. Now she is a lot braver and rides all of the larger coasters in the park, however....she still makes it a point to ride mine ride every visit.

It's a good mid sized coaster for those that are not into the larger/faster coasters. Iron dragon and "maybe" blue streak are the only other coasters in the park that are for the people not into the huge coasters. Remember...cedar fair is really anal about height requirement. Similar rides at other park chains have much lower height requirements. For example, my son can ride the demon coaster at six flags great America, but he needs to be 6 inches taller to ride corkscrew at cedarpoint. My parents still visit the park once a year, and the only coasters they still go on is blue streak and mine ride. They dont do the bigger/faster coasters. My mom even mentioned to me on her latest visit that she was glad that they still had mine ride, because without it she wouldn't have much to ride anymore at the park.

I wouldn't say that mine ride is the greatest coaster in the world, but it does it's job. People need to realize that coaster geeks are not the only demographic that the park attracts. Family's make up a big percentage of people that visit the park.

I'm all for putting new trains on the ride. One of the issues with mine rides trains are the seats. Years ago, the seats used to be cushiony foam that you would sink into. When they redid the trains, they put in hard seats and did not take into consideration that people are losing a few inches of room because you no longer sink down into the cushion seat anymore. I believe it was that same time that the height requirement changed as well(don't quote me on that, I'm just going by memory). A few tweaks to the ride could make a huge difference for guests.

As far as that plot of land being the best expansion space is crazy. You have to remember that the train tracks and the water are obsicals next to mine ride as well. Is it a plot that can be used?...sure. Is it the best plot? Short answer is probably not.There are several other large plots of land in the park. Here are just a couple..

1. The island. The dinosaurs are going extinct soon. The island is a large area that has more than enough room to be home to a whole new area of the park, including a few well placed coasters.

2. The shoot the Rapids site. This is a large space that is kinda a eye sore right now. The ripcord can easily be moved again, or better yet just removed.

3. The sandcastle hotel space. This area could be home to a large expansion for the park.

4. Behind the main midway games are(behind Johnny rockets). There is basically just a Warehouse that occupies that area, and that could be moved easily.

5.frontier trail. Granted that there is no large area besides the shoot the Rapids area, but you could squeeze in a mid sized coaster or a few rides into the area that fits right in with the frontier trail theme.

6. The picnic area in the front of the park next to blue streak. This area can easily be relocated, and that would open up a good sized area for expansion.

7. I'm not 100% sure about this one, but I thought there was a smaller chunk of land between maverick, and thunder canyon behind the old carousel building that now houses a halloweekends haunt. You could weave a coaster into that area.

8. The stadium area where the night time show is now. Sure its probably not a large enough area for a coaster, but a great spot for a huge flat ride or a good spot to relocate ripcord.

9. The area that is now used for the Bayou haunted trail. That area and the area behind dragsters lockers combined, are plenty of room for a coaster as well.

10. Last but not least, the area that the cedars dorms sits on(next to famous Daves). This building is falling apart, and has been rumored to be going away for some time now. A simple reroute of that part of the Perimeter Road would open up a decent sized area.

Just because "you" don't like an attraction, does not mean it "sucks" or should be removed. I'm not a huge fan of Gemini, but I dont think it would make sense to remove it because I know that people still enjoy it. What's next? Should we remove all the kiddy rides because they essentially do the same thing by going in circles?

If you think Cedar Point is bad for height requirements try Canada's Wonderland. A lot of the big thrill rides and coasters are 54". My neice who is 52" now could ride almost everything at Cedar Point but at Wonderland there is a lot she can't. Same chain but different rules

If you think Cedar Point is bad for height requirements try Canada's Wonderland. A lot of the big thrill rides and coasters are 54". My neice who is 52" now could ride almost everything at Cedar Point but at Wonderland there is a lot she can't. Same chain but different rules

Wow...that's crazy.

I wonder if its because it's in another country, and they have different standards for amusement rides?

Do we usually know by now when Cedar Fair parks are making 2019 announcements? Didn’t they do them on National Roller Coaster Day last year, which is 4 days away?

Cedar Fair typically doesn’t do them all on the same day, Like SF. They are spread out through now until next year (sometimes). But you are correct in saying a lot of them happened on NRCD last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we usually know by now when Cedar Fair parks are making 2019 announcements? Didn’t they do them on National Roller Coaster Day last year, which is 4 days away?

Cedar Fair typically doesn’t do them all on the same day, Like SF. They are spread out through now until next year (sometimes). But you are correct in saying a lot of them happened on NRCD last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anybody know if six flags has announced what day they are announcing new attractions?

That building used to house the frontier carousel from 1972 to 1994. From Wikipedia, a 1921 Dentzel wooden carousel with 50 jumping horses, 12 standing horses, 4 menagerie animals (1 deer, 1 giraffe, 1 lion, 1 tiger) and 2 chariots. It was purchased from Lansing, Michigan and moved to Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom in 1995. The carousel building still stands in Frontier Town and is used as a haunted house during HalloWeekends. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Wow...that's crazy.

I wonder if its because it's in another country, and they have different standards for amusement rides?

The only 2 coasters at Canada’s Wonderland with 54” requirement are Behemoth and Leviathan, both have B&M clamshell restraints. I believe every B&M in North America with clamshells has a 54” requirement.

Wow...that's crazy.

The only 2 coasters at Canada’s Wonderland with 54” requirement are Behemoth and Leviathan, both have B&M clamshell restraints. I believe every B&M in North America with clamshells has a 54” requirement.

370942496_ScreenShot2018-08-12at7_52_12PM.jpg.e322d6708fc3de297438b09b64df0b85.jpg

Wow...that's crazy.

I was also including flat rides which most at Wonderland are 54" too.

Finally got my Steel Vengeance credits!

Just returned from a quick trip home to Ohio for my 35th high school reunion!

I was able to squeeze in a few days at Cedar Point, my home park and where I played piano for 5 seasons!

Some quick points:

Stayed at the Express Hotel which was recently updated. Nice room, close to the park, and relatively affordable. When I come back in September, I will stay at the Breakers.

I bought FastLane Plus for Thursday since I wasn't arriving until after 4pm that day. If you're a Platinum Pass holder, you can buy FastLane Plus for the price of a regular FastLane! Saved me $20 AND hours of waiting in line!

Did the Snoopy breakfast the 2nd day. Good food, fun characters, AND (the best part), I was able to park in the Breakers parking lot and use the Gemini/Magnum/Resort gate for early admission. This meant I was able to run to Steel Vengeance and be on the 2nd train of the day. If you're a regular park guest, you have to use the main entrance, and that is a LONG way back to the back of the park.

Steel Vengeance. WOW. My first ride was very disorienting. Unless you ride in the front, you really cannot see what is coming up.

For our 2nd ride, we opted for the back row. And we rode it at night.

In my opinion, the absolute BEST night ride on a coaster and my new #1. It was just mind blowing!

On to the pics!

2018-08-09_16-24-32_235.thumb.jpeg.6623c7abe3c50c8a8567bc388286eec6.jpeg

The obligatory front gate pic

2018-08-09_17-30-58_698.thumb.jpeg.068ba215b861463acbbe53763acef945.jpeg

Finally here!

2018-08-09_17-31-51_808.thumb.jpeg.fea762769b0cf3b7d3d1c336a49936d1.jpeg

Wow

2018-08-09_17-32-06_282.thumb.jpeg.60417778777f063f9476e61274b3e0fe.jpeg

Wow again

2018-08-09_17-45-38_548.thumb.jpeg.6b05442fd3b56dade6324498f122f4c5.jpeg

My first ride

2018-08-09_19-23-34_852.thumb.jpeg.4eea0109f269dd7fca490901ffabbd08.jpeg

Hotel guests

2018-08-09_19-27-44_354.thumb.jpeg.db2fe7142eb463dc5c49998559f7e42b.jpeg

Breakers

2018-08-10_06-22-54_065.thumb.jpeg.1188e396c60b82429bbaeec2043d9152.jpeg

2nd ride at night

2018-08-10_07-42-09_977.thumb.jpeg.7361e90ef89d479e6b67896a937676f4.jpeg

Food

2018-08-10_07-42-13_800.thumb.jpeg.486693ed17464ddf54f8c763654714fe.jpeg

More lobby photos

2018-08-10_07-51-36_235.thumb.jpeg.13fc08ad7ed1b505b74b058e47004417.jpeg

Rotunda

2018-08-10_08-04-49_778.thumb.jpeg.760ec81baee70a8914004c30061a502e.jpeg

2018-08-10_08-07-18_158.thumb.jpeg.75e5423d4e45e1f0b89c1385703c5ee8.jpeg

Breakfast. And all you can eat!

2018-08-10_08-18-30_971.thumb.jpeg.cdca7e0434834d03a4727aa40754bb4e.jpeg

AND it was Snoopy's birthday!

2018-08-10_08-20-03_104.thumb.jpeg.226ba62a1225c080ef7d723f9be788a3.jpeg

2018-08-10_08-26-31_873.thumb.jpeg.e62463b6390efaf810aaf46540b084ae.jpeg

2018-08-10_11-58-39_882.thumb.jpeg.e7df77ab835f4df36081ff9dfaa40cb2.jpeg

My front seat ride the 2nd day

2018-08-10_12-33-27_839.thumb.jpeg.d135cb2bed4daec265d8554eb7e315f2.jpeg

Photos you can only get when driving around the point

2018-08-10_12-33-36_077.thumb.jpeg.ba429ae849515468ca61a1944d5cf81f.jpeg

2018-08-10_12-33-46_449.thumb.jpeg.46992cbc7d6ad82e0bfe1e73b6de7b19.jpeg

2018-08-10_15-30-39_194.thumb.jpeg.c1ae693b7cd41db7a163e1371f783749.jpeg

So, when I rode Twisted Timbers in April, I wore a Steel Vengeance t-shirt. It was only appropriate to wear a Twisted Timbers t-shirt when riding Steel Vengeance!

Edited by pianojohn