TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Fun Trivia Time:

For all the coaster fan boys and mathematicians, what is the heaviest (empty) coaster train at Cedar Point?

I do not know myself. On our yearly visit, my wife and I started speculating. My guess was Gatekeeper based on length, width and occupancy. But, does anyone else have an idea or PROOF of the heaviest coaster train at CP?

Fun Trivia Time:

For all the coaster fan boys and mathematicians, what is the heaviest (empty) coaster train at Cedar Point?

I do not know myself. On our yearly visit, my wife and I started speculating. My guess was Gatekeeper based on length, width and occupancy. But, does anyone else have an idea or PROOF of the heaviest coaster train at CP?

Valravn. From the Sunrise Tour talking with one of the mechanics. The cars are so heavy that they can't be moved off site to work on them like the rest of the coasters.

Fun Trivia Time:

Valravn. From the Sunrise Tour talking with one of the mechanics. The cars are so heavy that they can't be moved off site to work on them like the rest of the coasters.

That was my second guess. Is it heaviest train or car?

Mine Ride sucks, I wouldn't bat an eye if they removed it. It's on prime expansion space too

It's a great ride for family's....even though the height requirement is 48 inches for some reason. Every coaster can't be 100 mph and 500 feet tall.

Mine ride COULD be a great family ride, but by the time most kids are tall enough to ride, they consider it tame (when they’re also tall enough to ride MF and Magnum) and adults are too big to ride comfortably. I’d only be for a re-do if brand new trains were added, the height restriction were lowered to 42” or lower, and some pretty dramatic theme elements were added. Otherwise, rip it out and install a brand new true family ride. As an Arrow lover and enthusiast with an appreciation for history, I want it to stay. But in its current state, Mine Ride is just not super useful to the park.

So that appears to be CCMR with 5 trains before a shed was built over the transfer/storage? It seems a little odd that they would tease adding capacity back to a ride that surely doesn't need it? This and the "Kings Island" teaser poster both refer to the 6919 site, which is probably CCMR (1969 and 2019). The thing I found interesting about the "Kings Island" poster but didn't post anything was that it mentioned paleontology. My mind immediately went to Dinos Alive, but Dinos is a long way from SoB's station. Dinos is definitely close enough to CCMR to be part of the same project...

I don't know what any of it means obviously...just kinda thinking out loud. I doubt CP would really have much interest in adding a train to CCMR though.

Jesus, I know I posted about crowds before but it’s getting even crazier. This is great to see after that earnings report:

5 rides are posting at 2+ hours, Raptor is at 1 1/2 hours, every other coaster is between 30 and 45 minutes (except Rougarou, lol) as are Maxair and Power Tower.

Damn, go Cedar Point. These are Halloweekends level crowds.

I like CCMR for the memories, I'll still ride it occasionally, but it's not a super thrilling ride. The height requirement is pretty ridiculous. I can remember as a kid, parents were allowed to bring real young kids on the ride as long as they held on to them. That ended when someone let go of their kid and he fell out sustaining some injuries. Whoops!

Jesus, I know I posted about crowds before but it’s getting even crazier. This is great to see after that earnings report:

5 rides are posting at 2+ hours, Raptor is at 1 1/2 hours, every other coaster is between 30 and 45 minutes (except Rougarou, lol) as are Maxair and Power Tower.

Wow what a change from this past week. Was there wednesday and most rides were 30 mins or less. Only long lines were for SV and Maverick.

I’m just hoping it won’t be that crowded the last Sunday and Monday of August. It will be my first time going to CP since 2014.

I’m just hoping it won’t be that crowded the last Sunday and Monday of August. It will be my first time going to CP since 2014.

If its anything like this pasr Monday, crowds weren't that bad. I got there at 9am and managed 2 rides on Gatekeeper, a ride on MaxAir and Wicked Twister all by a little after 10.

^August is the best month of the year, that's why! (Me saying that has NOTHING to do with my Birthday being this month! )

In regard to CCMR, it was my first favorite roller coaster ever, way back in the early 80's, and I'm certainly appreciative of its place in CP lore. However, its time has come and gone, in my opinion, and I've been hoping for years now for its removal, and the opening up of plenty of room for a large addition there. My kids don't even care much about riding it anymore, and as somebody else mentioned, it's SUPER uncomfortable for a grown adult to even fit in those trains. There are better Mine Train Coasters elsewhere, and again, it's just space better used for something else...

Like a family friendly, wooden, GCI coaster like Mystic Timbers! Heck, you can even theme it to a mine, or call it New Cedar Creek Mine Ride, or whatever! There's plenty of room for a decent sized one too, with the CCMR footprint, and the old Shoot the Rapids area on the island. Add in the outgoing Dinosaurs Alive area too, perhaps, for some cool interaction with MF. I know some are calling for CCMR's replacement to be a family coaster, but honestly, there is plenty for families to do already at CP (believe me, as a family man of a large family myself, I can speak to this), and I would consider a fun, but not extreme woodie, like Mystic Timbers to be a family friendly attraction. Honestly, back in that Frontier Town/Trail area, is really the only place I think a wooden coaster like this fits well, since as much as it'd be cool, I really don't ever foresee a Beach Boardwalk woodie near GateKeeper.

I do suspect that if we see a new coaster in place of CCMR, it'll be a 2020 addition, with either its "Farewell Season" next year on its 50th Anniversary, or having it close this year, with land clearing and prep next year (similar to SV). I'd guess the former, personally. I've heard a few other interesting things from sources that I would not consider on the level of the Dippin' Dots guy (not in reference to CCMR though), but I suspect that anything stemming from those tidbits would be on a smaller scale.

Of course, I think this could all just be a humorous troll job by Cedar Fair, too! I guess we'll know a little more before too long, likely, as CF announcement season is fast approaching!

Managed to catch Rougarou at 30 minutes today on the app... so proud of myself (and Rougarou )

IMG_1115.thumb.PNG.f02287f345f4f1396ae37007612ab2a1.PNG

^ It's at 45 minutes right now. Freakin insane!

Thats crazy. I can't remember it being ever more then a couple of train wait. This past wednesday it was a walk on all day.

For those that complain about the crowds the best time to go is during the week.

Thats crazy. I can't remember it being ever more then a couple of train wait. This past wednesday it was a walk on all day.

For those that complain about the crowds the best time to go is during the week.

You think that's crazy? I remember in its early years, waiting an hour for WT!

For those that complain about the crowds, the best time to go IS during the week... before June! I enjoyed sub-hour waits for SV, and near walk-ons for everything else!

You think that's crazy? I remember in its early years, waiting an hour for WT!

For those that complain about the crowds, the best time to go IS during the week... before June! I enjoyed sub-hour waits for SV, and near walk-ons for everything else!

Thats why I usually go the week before Memorial day Weekend. Breakers is cheaper then and the park isn't as busy.