TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'll admit that a part of me does enjoy the fact that (most, not all) enthusiasts hate on Millennium Force relentlessly

Do people hate on Millennium Force??? I actually thought it was quite loved by theme park fans. While it may not be in my top ten or the most forceful ride on the planet, it most certainly one of the most "fun" rides ever and I enjoy every single ride I take on it!

Agreed- I think there is still a lot of love for Millennium Force among coaster riders. Perhaps those that dislike it are just more "vocal" or obnoxious about it (e.g. "Millennium Forceless" type comments), which gives the impression that so many people hate it. It certainly is one of the most fun rides ever built.

It's a weird ride. When it first opened I feel like it was universally accepted that it was the greatest thing ever created. Then for the next 15 years people made it a point to vocalize how overrated it was in response to that hype and over-analyze it element by element, almost as if they were desperate to let everyone know how well refined their taste in coasters was. This year for whatever reason there does seem to be a surge in appreciation for the ride. I feel like that has something to do with the line length getting shorter but who knows. It could also just be that it's a nice compliment to the two crazy awesome coasters in the back of Frontier Town since it does offer something super-fun but dramatically different.

I feel like I don't see it much here because Robb has managed to weed out the miserable, complainy types better than other sites and people appreciate it for what it is but if you step into a cesspool like Reddit, some Facebook "Connoisseur" group or basically any other coaster forum people just foam at the mouth when you mention Millennium Force.

Obviously there are tons of people who love it (see the Golden Ticket awards) but it's polarizing because people on the other side see that and overreact to the point where they're basically falling over each-other to loudly vocalize their complaints about the ride. Walking up to some coaster enthusiasts with a Millennium Force polo is like walking up to some vegans with a cheeseburger.

Edited by coasterbill

It's a weird ride. When it first opened I feel like it was universally accepted that it was the greatest thing ever created. Then for the next 15 years people made it a point to vocalize how overrated it was in response to that hype and over-analyze it element by element, almost as if they were desperate to let everyone know how well refined their taste in coasters was. This year for whatever reason there does seem to be a surge in appreciation for the ride. I feel like that has something to do with the line length getting shorter but who knows. It could also just be that it's a nice compliment to the two crazy awesome coasters in the back of Frontier Town since it does offer something super-fun but dramatically different.

I feel like I don't see it much here because Robb has managed to weed out the miserable, complainy types better than other sites and people appreciate it for what it is but if you step into a cesspool like Reddit, some Facebook "Connoisseur" group or basically any other coaster forum people just foam at the mouth when you mention Millennium Force.

TPR has always been a great place to simply enjoy coasters and parks. The fact that this group is vetted is what makes it standout from the way too serious/pretentious crowds.

Nothing would make me happier than a Larson Looper marketed as a coaster. Nothing.

Oh come on coasterbill, you disappoint me. Dream a little. Since Kennywood just announced their partnership with a major sporting franchise to build a coaster, CP could be the first park to announce a partnership with a major musical act for their coaster. Think 'Jimmy Buffet's Larson Looper' with a tropical theme. Wouldn't that make you even happier?

Question about driving from the Cleveland Airport. I am seeing that the fastest route uses toll roads. I never take toll roads and don't really know how they work in Ohio. Will there be a toll booth or something or will I just get a nasty bill in the future for driving on it. How much does it cost and how do I pay?

I figure it's worth it to save time but the info I am seeing on the internet is confusing me so hoping for a quick answer here. Thanks in advance

Question about driving from the Cleveland Airport. I am seeing that the fastest route uses toll roads. I never take toll roads and don't really know how they work in Ohio. Will there be a toll booth or something or will I just get a nasty bill in the future for driving on it. How much does it cost and how do I pay?

I figure it's worth it to save time but the info I am seeing on the internet is confusing me so hoping for a quick answer here. Thanks in advance

Ask about EZ-Pass when you pick up your rental car, they can usually add it on for a nominal charge. Then just drive through the lanes marked with the EZ-Pass logo whenever you come to a toll booth.

I uploaded a photo when I bought my pass online. It also was saying mobile ticket was an option. I only got an email with an option to print tickets and it says I have to go to Season Pass Processing Center to get my photo ID pass, was hoping to avoid that extra step. I am supposed to land around 6 AM, get my rental car, and then I guess it's about an hour 20 minute drive to the park but maybe heavier commuter traffic around that time? Think I can make it for the early entry? I am thinking I will be cutting it close if traffic doesn't slow me down and late if it does.

Sorry, I missed one of these.

The airport is an hour from the park, but even so if your flight is on time you'll have plenty of time. There won't be traffic. Honestly you'll probably be so ahead of schedule that you'll be bored. I'm not sure when the Season Pass center opens and it's not yet listed on the FAQ section of the website (they put a placeholder there and never updated it). Assuming it opens before 9:00 and you know you'll be out of there by 8:45, get the pass processed, then follow the fence past the main entrance and along Gatekeeper's ride track to the boardwalk. Take the boardwalk to the end. Use that gate to get to Steel Vengeance. If you're getting Fastlane, whatever... go in the front gate and ride Gatekeeper or something.

It's also possible that they can scan the voucher and let you in for Early Entry and you can process it later. I'm really not sure, maybe someone here knows, if not I would call the park. If you can do that, just process it at some point during the day.

And yeah, you either use EZ-Pass or you do what they did in the stone ages and drive up when you get on the road, get a paper ticket out of the machine and then when you get off in Sandusky, insert the ticket and pay the fare.

... Or just do this since it's the same amount of time anyway and don't pay any tolls.

Edited by coasterbill

On my trip, I used Waze for navigation. Under settings, I checked "Avoid Toll Roads"; the route it took me was only 5 minutes longer than the route with toll roads.

I would use the route that Bill posted. I lived near the airport and used that route. There is a small section where it is a toll road, when 480 ends and merges into 80. But the cost is 50 cents to route 57. Just bring some quarters with you and you're good. I wouldn't advise trying to skip it, the closest toll free option would be going up to I-90 and it won't even be worth the effort.

Thanks for the quick reply. Called the rental car company and they said EZ-pass is available for $19.95

Now I need to make sure and remember how and turn toll roads on again in my navigation options......

But if it's only supposed to cost 50 cents wow, maybe I should go the stone age route, or since traffic isn't a worry maybe just go the long way. I guess I will decide later, thanks for all the input

Thanks for the quick reply. Called the rental car company and they said EZ-pass is available for $19.95

Oh f*ck that. You're not driving through enough tolls to make that worthwhile at all plus, you'll have plenty of time to kill. Just hit "avoid tolls".

Ok.

Blue Streak has redeemed itself in my eyes

Had a FANTASTIC ride (2nd row front car) a couple of hours ago

Super smooth and a ton of airtime

Certainly only that good in 1st car. But yeah. Really good

Edited by bert425

Ok.

Blue Streak has redeemed itself in my eyes

Had a FANTASTIC ride (2nd row front car) a couple of hours ago

Super smooth and a ton of airtime

Certainly only that good in 1st car. But yeah. Really good

I only rode it once, in the very front, but the airtime was hilariously strong and it wasn't any rougher than other woodies of similar size and style. I'd imagine in other seats, though, that it could get pretty bad

I didn't know toll roads were such a big deal. Just follow the instructions on the sign, bring about $5.00 worth of assorted change, and have cash on you. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. If you miss a toll I think there's a website where you can pay it off, since they scan your plates.

I'm a firm believer that you should always carry a few hundred dollars worth of cash somewhere you can access it in case of emergencies when you travel. You never know. Worst case scenario if it gets stolen you're only out a few hundred bucks. If that's a huge deal for anyone they should reconsider spending their money on traveling. That's my opinion, at least.

Some of us are just cheapskates who don't wish to pay extra to ride on a road when it's not necessary. Not everyone lives where tolls are common. Obviously there are some instances it's unavoidable (like driving north on I-77 through WV to get to Ohio from VA). I didn't need to use the OH Turnpike from Cleveland, however I wasn't coming from the airport (went to A Christmas Story House). The only time we generally don't mind tolls driving in FL is when we head to Orlando and use the Turnpike. It's a pain trying to bypass that coming from the north on I-75; though have done it a few times.

... so millennium force is back open... that’s exciting...

Any suggestions on a lunch place going from KI to CP? We’re planning on leaving the hotel next to KI for CP in the morning and prob grab lunch before we spend the rest of the day (and the following day) at the point!

Now I need to make sure and remember how and turn toll roads on again in my navigation options......

But if it's only supposed to cost 50 cents wow, maybe I should go the stone age route, or since traffic isn't a worry maybe just go the long way. I guess I will decide later, thanks for all the input

I'm sure there is a quicker way to get onto I-90 from the airport but if you don't mind venturing into downtown Cleveland, you can get on I-90 west there and it's basically a straight shot to Cedar Point and you'll avoid tolls all together.

^ That's what Bert and I were advised (and shown) to take, when we got our rented car at the Cleveland Airport.

And they marked it out on the map for us. And it was easy! The only time we OOPSed it, was coming back to the

airport and missing our turnoff back to the rental agency. We thankfully quickly figured that error out,

turned around, and turned off to where we were supposed to go.

I'm sure there is a quicker way to get onto I-90 from the airport but if you don't mind venturing into downtown Cleveland, you can get on I-90 west there and it's basically a straight shot to Cedar Point and you'll avoid tolls all together.

Going all the way into the city and back out again would be a huge waste of time, IMO, unless you're looking to kill some time exploring downtown (which there is actually a bunch of cool stuff to see). If one is dead-set on avoiding all tolls, you can OH-237 NB right from the airport to McKinley Avenue and pick up I-90 from there. But I personally think this is silly since tolls are just 50 cents if you just follow Bill's route and switch over to OH-2 in Elyria.

^ Like I said, I was sure there was a quicker way, but that was the way I knew if you were wanting to avoid tolls. When we went in June, my friends GF works for Hyatt and had free nights that we could use, so we opted to stay in Cleveland at the Hyatt Regency and make the hour drive to the park. Which too add to your point, there is ton to explore downtown. Since the park closed at 8 both days, that left us plenty of time to do just that.