TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Cedar Point is the only park in the world where Millennium Force being down wouldn't put a damper on my day.

Can't wait to see what Cedar Point does in the next two years. It's always impressive, even in the off years.

Edited by Mossed

I don’t know what is up with Intamin’s and lift hill problems, but it appears it is a cable lift problem with MF, and earlier this year, Darien’s Ride of Steel was down for over a week due to a lift problem at all. Probably unrelated as RoS is a chain lift, not a cable, but weird to see another long period of downtime to a large Intamin coaster due to a lift hill problem.

Prediction: It'll be refurbished and relocated to MiA and named Ziz.

Canada's Wonderland fanboys heads explode.

Shame to see a classic flat ride go, interesting to see what replaces it. Fingers crossed for a Mondial Top Scan. Hopefully named Ziz...

So they’re using that Gemeni and Witches Wheel spot for a new ride but they’re closing Witches Wheel first for site prep even though it could probably be removed in like a day and not the massive racing coaster which would take longer to remove and is way more annoying to staff in the fall when they’re short staffed and this would potentially give them the perfect opportunity to close it at the best possible time?

I wouldn’t worry.

Plus, there have been markers near the Witches Wheel queue since opening day. There are no markers visible from Gemeni.

Edited by coasterbill

^^This is a tough one and it depends on a few factors and what kind of trip you’re looking for. There are really 3 options...

1) If you want to go all out and splurge stay at Hotel Breakers and buy your tickets when you book the room. This is the most expensive option but you’ll be on the peninsula within walking distance to the park and you’ll have Early Entry.

2) Another option is the Cedar Point Express hotel. I don’t believe there’s a shuttle to the park and you can’t walk but they do give you free parking and early entry. Price this against the third option...

3) Stay off site with a rental car. As far as admission, there are 2 options here. Either you can pay $75 for a 2 day ticket or you can pay $220 for a Platinum Pass. This sounds like an obvious choice BUT the Platinum Pass includes parking (so right away that $75 becomes $115, offers discounts on everything you buy in the park, gets you Early Entry and gives you massive discounts on Fastlane where you get Fastlane Plus for the Fastlane price. If you want Fastlane Plus for 2 days then you just about make up the price difference on that alone AND you get Early Entry (which is amazing) AND you can use it at Knott’s Berry Farm through the end of the year and it will include parking there also as well as discounts on all in-park spending.

Sorry that’s a lot to think about, but it’s a tough call. You really need to price it all out.

PS: Fly to Cleveland. I’d probably rent a car but if you stay at Breakers you can price out Uber.

Thanks for the great reply!

I am probably looking to splurge a bit. I’m getting a big severance payment and trying to do this trip before I start my next job that I already have lined up. I do see rain and thunderstorms forecast for next week, am I looking at weather ruining the trip if I go on the 8th and 9th do you think? Getting knotts too sounds like the way to go since I’m in so cal and have not been for a few years. Is the fast lane thing going to be worth it for Wednesday Thursday crowds and possible rain? Are there single rider lines I could use maybe instead? This might be the only time I get to go here so I would probably do it but I have never bothered at magic mountain with that stuff.

If you've got the money, and rain is in the forecast, yes I'd say Fast Lane is worth it. Don't buy it in advance though; this is Midwest, and forecasts can and will change even up to the day of. Just have that money available and pick it up if it's necessary. Since you're going about 2000 miles, even if lines are like 20 minutes I'd say get the Fast Lane since it'll be difficult and expensive to get back later.

So they’re using that Gemeni and Witches Wheel spot for a new ride but they’re closing Witches Wheel first for site prep even though it could probably be removed in like a day and not the massive racing coaster which would take longer to remove and is way more annoying to staff in the fall when they’re short staffed and this would potentially give them the perfect opportunity to close it at the best possible time?

I wouldn’t worry.

Plus, there have been markers near the Witches Wheel queue since opening day. There are no markers visible from Gemeni.

Yeah you're right... It's entirely more likely that the end of witches wheel is only because of the rides age and low ridership

So, I'll be at the park next Monday and Tuesday. The weather forecast isn't exactly stellar for those two days (60% chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms throughout the days). I'm well aware that Lake Erie laughs at weather forecasts, and that could all change multiple times between now and next week (I remember going once when the weather forecast the day before was similar, but it was beautiful weather when I actually went). However, in the worst case scenario that the weather prediction comes true, could someone remind me what rides close in rain? If I remember correctly, they get very strict in closing rides when there are lightning strikes nearby, but I don't remember which rides (aside from TTD) go down in rain. I just want to go in with realistic expectations. Thanks.

Maybe more family-friendly rides to go along with Monster and Lake Erie Gliders?

hope they get MF fixed soon, but unless it's the curse of the Intamin cable, I wouldn't be surprised if they have it it open within the next couple of days.

Keep in mind. If dinosaurs alive goes away too. That’s a nice space opening up for something

Unless we totally looked at it wrong. MF is absolutely something to do w lift. From train at 10:55 last night, it looked like engineers working in the lift hill operations on either the motor or the chain itself. Hard to see when going by. But hope it’s up in the next couple of days

Sad to see another Enterprise bite the dust as they’re one of my favorite flat rides. Glad I got to ride this one two months ago. Just hoping that whatever replaces it is a worthy successor.

...Cedar Point just announced the closure of their Huss* Enterprise, Witches' Wheel on Labor Day

Ooo I know somebody who's going to be sad about that.

Yeah

Hoping to get a ride on it today or tomorrow if my banged up leg will cooperate in getting in and out

Maybe more family-friendly rides to go along with Monster and Lake Erie Gliders?

hope they get MF fixed soon, but unless it's the curse of the Intamin cable, I wouldn't be surprised if they have it it open within the next couple of days.

Keep in mind. If dinosaurs alive goes away too. That’s a nice space opening up for something

Unless we totally looked at it wrong. MF is absolutely something to do w lift. From train at 10:55 last night, it looked like engineers working in the lift hill operations on either the motor or the chain itself. Hard to see when going by. But hope it’s up in the next couple of days

Update: just looked out the window at Breakers. And MF is cycling trains. No passengers. But have just seen blue go

About time. Can’t remember the last time I rode it.

You may not ride it, but tons of people do. Every time we ride that thing we end up waiting like 2-3 cycles.

I totally get the move since lots of parks are getting rid of these and I'm excited to see what replaces it, but I did enjoy this ride and we usually ride it when we visit the park.

If you've got the money, and rain is in the forecast, yes I'd say Fast Lane is worth it. Don't buy it in advance though; this is Midwest, and forecasts can and will change even up to the day of. Just have that money available and pick it up if it's necessary. Since you're going about 2000 miles, even if lines are like 20 minutes I'd say get the Fast Lane since it'll be difficult and expensive to get back later.

Ok thanks. I bought the platinum pass and that ended up giving me a great discount on the hotel express that practically paid for the pass based on the rate they showed me originally. I figured that was good enough for me since I’m renting a car and have the free parking with it. Park hours are long in my opinion so I’m hoping I’ll have plenty of time to do everything. I’ll maybe do the fast pass on day 2 if I am feeling it. I’m guessing the summer weather supposed to be almost 80 will be similar to what I’m used to in so cal or should I be prepared for cold nights. Hopefully for me the worst of the rain stays on Monday and Tuesday. I’m excited I have wanted to do this trip for such a long time!

Sad to see a favorite flat of mine leave. They replaced VF's this year with a Larson Looper, maybe the same is coming for CP. Of course they will make it bigger just so they can have bragging rights over SFGAm.

Always wondered why they hadn't done anything appreciable for it. Now we know. I assume given the space that it'll be another flat ride with a lot of the markers probably being planters or something (it can't jut out too far into the entrance way from Magnum).