TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

First Blue Streak was too rough. Then Raptor was too loud. Now Gatekeeper is too rough. WTF is with this hobby?

It could be all perception, but it certainly does seem that the enthusiast community has become spoiled. Like even if not active Ive lurked forums for ages and it does seem like there's a decreasing tolerance for roughness, to now yeah one turn is less than glass smooth and its "rough"

Ah well.

I am stoked for my trip. My brother went recently, his first time at CP in like 15 years. It was cool because he used to think he hated coasters. Mostly he never rode. Because well, 15 years at CP he rode Corkscrew, because it was small so everyone figured itd be a fine starter (being a nerd even then I warned mom and dad but they said itd be fine...) he hated it, had a headache, never rode coasters again.

Well, guess he finally tried again and has found he likes em.

Just messaged me about his 2 day trip at CP and loved it. Was raving how many rides there are and how good they all are, the coasters, SV, the views. Made me pumped to go. Like many here I can kinda fall into complacency esp for the place Ive gone 10 times to, but now cant wait.

He also confirmed FL+ 100% worth it. Walk ons for what would've been 30, 45 min waits and 5-10 mins for SV. For July! I have to assume late August will be better

^^^^We were there most of the day today, and yes, were told that MF was down all day for maintenance by a guy at the front of the line. It started the day stuck on the lift, but that train was gone after an hour or so I think. Didn't ask details, but he said it was all day and it sounded somewhat routine, but I don't fully know. We were there 10-5:30 and never saw it run.

Just talked with Guest services and they told us that Millenium Force is undergoing some unexpected maintenance and they are not able to estimate a reopening date right now. - Bummer! Now Volcano, Lightning Rod and Millennium Force might be down during our coaster tour this time. Hope Cedar Point will fix the issues as soon as possible....

^^^^We were there most of the day today, and yes, were told that MF was down all day for maintenance by a guy at the front of the line. It started the day stuck on the lift, but that train was gone after an hour or so I think. Didn't ask details, but he said it was all day and it sounded somewhat routine, but I don't fully know. We were there 10-5:30 and never saw it run.

Just talked with Guest services and they told us that Millenium Force is undergoing some unexpected maintenance and they are not able to estimate a reopening date right now. - Bummer! Now Volcano, Lightning Rod and Millennium Force might be down during our coaster tour this time. Hope Cedar Point will fix the issues as soon as possible....

That's the last thing I wanted to hear, the day before I head off for Cedar Point myself.

Missing Sidewinder at Hersheypark because I went in the spring of last year wasn't a big deal. Missing Millennium Force will probably mean scrapping my NYC + Jersey Shore plans next year and tacking a return to Cedar Point, to finally catch the white whale, onto my Pittsburgh trip also for next year.

Edited by SLCHeadache

Hope Cedar Point will fix the issues as soon as possible....

Nah. They'll probably charter a maintenance party boat to Put-in-Bay where they'll all proceed to go on a week-long drinking binge and when they get back and get over their hangovers they'll start working on it.

Of course they'll fix it as soon as possible. They're not happy about this situation either.

I'll be at CP early next week. Not so thrilled to hear about MF, as it's my favorite coaster in the park (my first visit in 9 years). However, I recall my last visit there, the cable lift broke (I still remember the alarming-looking picture of the catch car crumpled up on the first drop). I was crestfallen, but it took them less than a week to fix it. It was back up and running days before I got to the park. If this was a Six Flags park, I'd resign myself to the ride not being open for my visit. But since it's Cedar Point, I'm hopeful that it'll be back in action in time for my visit. Fingers crossed!

Uhhggg I’ll be there Tuesday and Wednesday next week for the first time in three years. Praying MF is back open!

I'll be leaving Monday morning. The old tagline was "The future is riding on it", and I'm feeling my entire trip is riding on it now.

If MF looks to be down like Volcano, how feasible is adding a detour to Kings Island (which should help me get over the crushing disappointment of my first major credit spite) when you're staying at Breakers? Looked it up - 4-hour drive. Would only consider if they announce the ride to be down for an extended period of time.

Edited by SLCHeadache

In the unload station, they hooked up a tube from the control panel to a machine below the station. They pulled a long wire like a lawn mower and now the machine is running. No idea what they are doing but they are definitely working on things. Attached is a [crappy] pic.

20180801_152724.thumb.jpg.6dbdf0866dba986af64fa61aeeb22780.jpg

I live in San Diego and am thinking of taking my first trip to Cedar Point while I am in between jobs next week. Probably Fly Aug 8 and go as much as possible before I need to be back in SD by Saturday afternoon.

Very preliminary so I thought I would come here for suggestions.

What airport do I even fly to LOL

Should I just uber over to a hotel at/near the park? What to do for transportation?

Hotel suggestions?

What kind of passes should I buy?

I am probably going solo and really just care about riding the coasters. I have only been to So Cal theme parks before and want to expand.

Thanks for any input, hope I get some helpful replies

^ It's a HUSS Enterprise.

It's had some downtime this year and I saw red markings in front of it early in the season... and I had a feeling it might not be long for this world. Add to that a long load/unload procedure and the fact that many Enterprises are disappearing. I'm really disappointed as I love that ride.

I hope they replace it with a Zamperla Endevour 48, though I would prefer a new Enterprise as HUSS still makes them.

^^This is a tough one and it depends on a few factors and what kind of trip you’re looking for. There are really 3 options...

1) If you want to go all out and splurge stay at Hotel Breakers and buy your tickets when you book the room. This is the most expensive option but you’ll be on the peninsula within walking distance to the park and you’ll have Early Entry.

2) Another option is the Cedar Point Express hotel. I don’t believe there’s a shuttle to the park and you can’t walk but they do give you free parking and early entry. Price this against the third option...

3) Stay off site with a rental car. As far as admission, there are 2 options here. Either you can pay $75 for a 2 day ticket or you can pay $220 for a Platinum Pass. This sounds like an obvious choice BUT the Platinum Pass includes parking (so right away that $75 becomes $115, offers discounts on everything you buy in the park, gets you Early Entry and gives you massive discounts on Fastlane where you get Fastlane Plus for the Fastlane price. If you want Fastlane Plus for 2 days then you just about make up the price difference on that alone AND you get Early Entry (which is amazing) AND you can use it at Knott’s Berry Farm through the end of the year and it will include parking there also as well as discounts on all in-park spending.

Sorry that’s a lot to think about, but it’s a tough call. You really need to price it all out.

PS: Fly to Cleveland. I’d probably rent a car but if you stay at Breakers you can price out Uber.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/witch-way-to-magnum

Cedar Point just announced the closure of their Schwarzkopf Enterprise, Witchs' Wheel on Labor Day

Interesting news, but I don't think that I have ridden Witches Wheel since the first time that I took Michael to CP and he almost threw up after riding it. I even got off feeling a bit queasy.

While fun to ride as a teen, they are a lot more disorienting for the older crowd, so can't say that I'm all that sad to see it go. While it would be nice to see another decent flat, Tony does mention "future expansion" which sounds better than just replacing this ride with another similar one.

Maybe more family-friendly rides to go along with Monster and Lake Erie Gliders?

PS - Sure hope they get MF fixed soon, but unless it's the curse of the Intamin cable, I wouldn't be surprised if they have it it open within the next couple of days.

Edited by Philrad71

...Cedar Point just announced the closure of their Huss* Enterprise, Witches' Wheel on Labor Day

Ooo I know somebody who's going to be sad about that.

IMG_3988.JPG.d2095429d032ea9a6fff080d7e6b0d10.JPG

Hi Bert! 2017 CoasterMANIA! weekend.

Interesting. Perhaps it's a cool large new flat? Shame to see more enterprises going down hopefully they relocate it but I won't be getting my hopes up.

I don't think Dorney or Michigan's Adventure have one, do they?

What about Valleyfair?