TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

How were Gatekeeper and Valravn's lines their respective opening years? Were they consistently 2 hours long as well?

The lines USUALLY weren’t as bad, but it’s also not really comparable.

Gatekeeper is a whore. It’s the only coaster in the park that I’ve ever seen where a good crew can dispatch a train as soon as the last one clears the lift block (except Magnum maybe but it’s a longer lift). I’m sure there have been power hours where it did over 2,000 riders and I’d be surprised if Steel Vengeance has ever hit 1,000. It loads ridiculously fast, it’s reliable and it has 3 trains.

Valravn isn’t AS MUCH of a capacity machine since each train holds the same amount of riders as a Steel Vengeance train but it has 3 of them and it loads faster.

Gatekeeper was often at 2+ hours early but at the end of the night it could be in the station. Valravn was always a bit longer reflecting its a capacity.

Edited by coasterbill

Did they pull Mine Ride, Iron Dragon, Wicked Twister and Skyhawk off of Fridays lineup? I think they were all on last year but I could be wrong.

Man, I didn't realize there was such a limited lineup of rides on Friday Nights, I mean I guess Wicked Twister, Iron Dragon, Gemini and Rogarou are the only "major" coasters not operating but still a bit surprising.

Also, just generally speaking how are the lines for houses during the event on Fridays/Saturdays? I'm planning to get a Fastlane for the rides and don't really care about hitting every single house but it would be nice to check out a few if the waits are reasonable.

How were Gatekeeper and Valravn's lines their respective opening years? Were they consistently 2 hours long as well?

Gatekeeper is a line eater just my it's nature of it's 3 train ops can dispatch better than Valravn. Gatekeeper;s ridership its first year was 2,165,965. Valravn's first year was 1,599,105. Gatekeeper always has higher ridership but a shorter line than Valravn.

The lines USUALLY weren’t as bad, but it’s also not really comparable.

Gatekeeper is a whore. It’s the only coaster in the park that I’ve ever seen where a good crew can dispatch a train as soon as the last one clears the lift block (except Magnum maybe but it’s a longer lift). I’m sure there have been power hours where it did over 2,000 riders and I’d be surprised if Steel Vengeance has ever hit 1,000. It loads ridiculously fast, it’s reliable and it has 3 trains.

Valravn isn’t AS MUCH of a capacity machine since each train holds the same amount of riders as a Steel Vengeance train but it has 3 of them and it loads faster.

Gatekeeper was often at 2+ hours early but at the end of the night it could be in the station. Valravn was always a bit longer reflecting its a capacity.

When I went last Wednesday and Thursday, operations on every ride were top notch except for Gatekeeper, especially on Thursday. Stacking all three trains, opening gates one side at a time, it was truly an epic clusterfuck of Six Flags porporions, Iron Dragon with VR was running smoother operations later that night.

That’s strange. We thought Gatekeeper and Millennium had the best operations of any coasters we rode this past weekend.

Even with miserable ops, Gatekeeper will beat Steel Vengeance handily though.

Edited by coasterbill

Can you buy fast lane at the park before early entry?

Each time I’ve been to CP, the ticket booth outside of the front gates opened at 8:45 am. I’ve purchased FL+ there multiple times before early entry; however, you cannot actually use the FL lines until 10 am.

That’s strange. We thought Gatekeeper and Millennium had the best operations of any coasters we rode this past weekend.

I may have caught it at an off time, as I only rode it once each day. But, I waited longer to board Gatekeeper with my FL+ then I did Steel Vengance.

I can attest to the horrible gatekeeper ops. I was there recently and they were stacking every time. They we’re moving awfully slow and the rattle was the worst ive ever felt on it. I don’t even bother going to the front half of the park anymore.

It was surreal, because I didn’t ride it till later in the afternoon, and everything else up to that point had been nothing but stellar operations wise. I also had a delay on my first Raptor ride, but that was due to someone blowing chunks and not the actual operations.

the rattle was the worst ive ever felt on it. I don’t even bother going to the front half of the park anymore.

We brought my 60-something year old mother to the park for the first time in like 2 decades on Saturday. She thought Gatekeeper was the smoothest coaster ever, probably because it pretty much is. I’m inclined to agree.

To each his own but like... Gatekeeper???? Really?

So I hear that Millie was down almost all day today, is this actually true, and if so...why?

As for GateKeeper, I usually ride it once during a visit just to do it, it’s not that it is rough, it is really smooth, it’s just nothing all that special compared to most coasters there. The only real plus to it is that it practically never has a long line.

Yeah, I can confirm that she definitely doesn’t spent any time reading theme park forums.

Don’t get me wrong, she goes hard. She loved Steel Vengeance (for example) but if she finds a coaster even mildly rough she has no interest in riding again. She was raving about Gatekeeper all weekend, in part because it’s glass smooth.

Like I said, to each his own but it’s crazy to me that anyone thinks Gatekeeper is in any way rough. I have no clue how a coaster could possibly be smoother.

So I hear that Millie was down almost all day today, is this actually true, and if so...why?

It is true. I’m not sure what’s wrong with it though.

Edited by coasterbill

^^^^We were there most of the day today, and yes, were told that MF was down all day for maintenance by a guy at the front of the line. It started the day stuck on the lift, but that train was gone after an hour or so I think. Didn't ask details, but he said it was all day and it sounded somewhat routine, but I don't fully know. We were there 10-5:30 and never saw it run.

I thought Gatekeeper was smooth to the point of boring, my wife thought it was too bouncy/rough, and she sat on the inside. Operations were efficient though. I thought Valravn was almost as underwhelming and forgettable as Gatekeeper :/

It was our first time on Steel Vengeance too. Our first ride in the morning was great on the verge of amazing... but we re-rode later in the afternoon since the rain had quite cleared out the crowds, and it had significantly warmed up - MIND BLOWING. Unbelievable. I was just blown away, it was nuts. My wife loved it but thought it was borderline too rough, and while I'm not the largest fan of crazy intensity (Skyrush / Storm Chaser / I305), I thought it was at the perfect edge of insane without being overtly uncomfortable. Wowwowwow. The full package, an absolute giant of a ride.