TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ Steel Vengeance is an amazing coaster, but if it was pulling 2-hour waits while the park's other amazing coasters had 15-30 minute waits, I'd push SV off for another day.

It's quite a contrast from SFMM, where the RMC hass the fastest moving line in the park, and is my go-to ride on crowded days.

Maverick also had a full fast lane queue at night too. They need to start capping the sales more to protect both fast lane users and the non users. I wouldn’t want to pay $110 to wait 30 minutes for Maverick and 45 for Steel Vengeance when I could pay nothing and get on in 45 and 90.

Fast Lane Plus is out of control. The line for it was out of the queue for Steel Vengeance today. They got one complaint and the standby line went from maybe 60-75 min to over 2 hours. The ratios on the seat assigning are atrocious. I would be fine if it was just consistent. It took me 20 minutes just to go from the stairs to the station. I just don’t understand why every single person wants to ride Steel Vengeance because not one other ride has a substantial Fast Lane queue right now.

I had a FL+ on Wednesday and Thursday, and the longest I waited was maybe 20 mins. Thursday after it stormed, the FL+ was about 5 mins, I ended up getting 5 rides in about 30 mins.

Oh I can't believe I forgot to mention this. I can confirm that last night around 11:00, Steel Vengeance was cycling with 3 trains with people. I have no idea why they were doing it because the MCBR wasn't even being used as a block. They had to wait for the train to hit the finals brakes to dispatch. I was on Maverick because SV had an empty train stuck at the top of the lift and they wouldn't let us in line. At the airtime hill on the first half of Maverick, I saw the transfer shed empty and got excited because the ride was running with people too. When I got off the ride I walked up the exit stairs of SV and behold the transfer shed was empty still. I got in line and saw all 3 different zero cars with my own eyes. Unfortunately about 2/3 of the way through the tunnel before it broke down and they transferred a train off. I don't know if this is really progress though because the final brake run needs an open block before the lift can be cleared. I know this seems super sketchy, I am personally confused myself. It is just something to keep an eye on in the future because this could be very exciting.

Oh I can't believe I forgot to mention this. I can confirm that last night around 11:00, Steel Vengeance was cycling with 3 trains with people. I have no idea why they were doing it because the MCBR wasn't even being used as a block. They had to wait for the train to hit the finals brakes to dispatch. I was on Maverick because SV had an empty train stuck at the top of the lift and they wouldn't let us in line. At the airtime hill on the first half of Maverick, I saw the transfer shed empty and got excited because the ride was running with people too. When I got off the ride I walked up the exit stairs of SV and behold the transfer shed was empty still. I got in line and saw all 3 different zero cars with my own eyes. Unfortunately about 2/3 of the way through the tunnel before it broke down and they transferred a train off. I don't know if this is really progress though because the final brake run needs an open block before the lift can be cleared. I know this seems super sketchy, I am personally confused myself. It is just something to keep an eye on in the future because this could be very exciting.

That's really strange, especially if they have to wait for the next train to hit the final brakes to dispatch. That wouldn't increase the capacity at all, it would just make the ride cycle longer because you'd stack. I wonder why they can't run this like Banshee or Magnum, which both have three trains and no Mid Course. All they would have to do is find the dispatch interval that guarantees the first train will clear the final brake run before the second reaches the top of the lift.

..although I suppose that if it was possible they'd have already done it. Hope they can figure it out soon so more people can enjoy it!

That's really strange, especially if they have to wait for the next train to hit the final brakes to dispatch. That wouldn't increase the capacity at all, it would just make the ride cycle longer because you'd stack. I wonder why they can't run this like Banshee or Magnum, which both have three trains and no Mid Course. All they would have to do is find the dispatch interval that guarantees the first train will clear the final brake run before the second reaches the top of the lift.

..although I suppose that if it was possible they'd have already done it. Hope they can figure it out soon so more people can enjoy it!

They were probably just testing still in a "live scenario". The MCBR sensors should tell them they can dispatch as the train passes the point, even if the MCBR isn't being used to actually slow the trains by being on. CP is still being cautious, another "bump" with the current frenzy over phones would be a PR disaster

They were probably just testing still in a "live scenario". The MCBR sensors should tell them they can dispatch as the train passes the point, even if the MCBR isn't being used to actually slow the trains by being on. CP is still being cautious, another "bump" with the current frenzy over phones would be a PR disaster

I am pretty confident that the MCBR isn't programmed as a block brake, just a trim. The lift hill speeds up when the brake run has a block open. They wouldn't have to wait for brake run to be clear if the MCBR was programmed. I do agree that this whole thing is out of caution. The MCBR still trims every ride, except at night it tends to stop for some reason. I only get my trimless rides at night now.

I am pretty confident that the MCBR isn't programmed as a block brake, just a trim. The lift hill speeds up when the brake run has a block open. They wouldn't have to wait for brake run to be clear if the MCBR was programmed. I do agree that this whole thing is out of caution. The MCBR still trims every ride, except at night it tends to stop for some reason. I only get my trimless rides at night now.

I have had trimless rides in the last hour of operations or so. The second 1/2 is so much more fun w/o the trim. It's still great with it, but another level without.

Cedar Point has 72 rides. If you want to do every ride in one day (13 hours on weekdays right now), that gives you about 10 minutes per ride for getting to the ride, queueing, and riding it and that doesn't include time for bathroom or eating. So...yeah, gonna need Fast Lane Plus, and I'm not sure it can be done even with that.

Cedar Point has 72 rides. If you want to do every ride in one day (13 hours on weekdays right now), that gives you about 10 minutes per ride for getting to the ride, queueing, and riding it and that doesn't include time for bathroom or eating. So...yeah, gonna need Fast Lane Plus, and I'm not sure it can be done even with that.

My girlfriend and I are going in September. I think Fast Lane Plus will be a need for us.

So, we’ve been here all weekend. A few observations:

- The Steel Vengeance policy is directed at cell phones. They instruct you to secure wallets, keys and glasses in a front pocket while in the station and put hats down your shirt. They don’t care if you bring any other loose articles in the line, just don’t bring cell phones (at least that’s what the greeters have been saying this weekend).

- I notice no difference between the ride with trims and our rides 2 months ago. Seriously, chill. The ride is amazing.

- We had our best rides ever on Raptor last night. Holy mother of god. We’ve had a ton of amazing rides this weekend since this park is stacked but last nights Raptor rides stole the show. It felt like they strapped rockets to the train.

- It’s almost hilarious how often Windseeker strands riders at the top for like 20-30 minutes. It happened at least 3 times yesterday.

- We brought mom to the park since she hasn’t been here in like 15 years. She’s in her 60’s. Steel Vengeance is her new favorite coaster. Even though she’s wrong and Millennium Force is the GOAT, I kind of think that’s awesome.

- The Steel Vengeance policy is directed at cell phones. They instruct you to secure wallets, keys and glasses in a front pocket while in the station and put hats down your shirt. They don’t care if you bring any other loose articles in the line, just don’t bring cell phones (at least that’s what the greeters have been saying this weekend)

I find this rather strange. If they are hitting you at 74 mph, glasses, keys, or a wallet aren't going to hurt any less than a cell phone would.

Silly question, but I have a portable charger that I bring to parks looks like this:

It's about as big as a phone, but since it isn't a phone, would they allow that in line/on the ride? Of course if I'm getting a locker for my phone I might as well put my charger in there too, but I'm just wondering if it would hypothetically be allowed.

So, we’ve been here all weekend. A few observations:

- The Steel Vengeance policy is directed at cell phones. They instruct you to secure wallets, keys and glasses in a front pocket while in the station and put hats down your shirt. They don’t care if you bring any other loose articles in the line, just don’t bring cell phones (at least that’s what the greeters have been saying this weekend).

The incident at KD was a cell phone. The logic IMO, is that keys and wallets people can easily shove deep in to packets and be secure. People have big cell phones and pockets they don't really fit into often. So the phone is half sticking out and the intensity of a ride like SV makes it come out. I'm a cargo short zipper pocket person so I never had issues with intense rides. I actually don't like cargo shorts aesthetically and only wear them when at parks to secure my stuff. I never wear them in every day life.

^ Just my opinion, but I don't think CP believes pockets are going to fail. They don't trust people to leave their phone put away in their pocket for the duration of the ride, since people need to put every waking moment on Snapchat and Instagram. I have a pair of shorts that only has a zipper on one side that I've been fitting my phone, wallet, keys in just fine for years.

Thanks for the updates, Bill. My parents are in their 60s also, and it's hilarious seeing their reactions when they don't know what to expect. I hope I'm still capable in 30 years. Are they still allowing glasses with a strap to be worn? Usually when they would ask, I would show them the strap and they'd say I was good. Honestly, the Cedar Point branded strap they sell in their shops works really well and makes it so you have about the same chance losing those as you would a watch.

^ Just my opinion, but I don't think CP believes pockets are going to fail. They don't trust people to leave their phone put away in their pocket for the duration of the ride, since people need to put every waking moment on Snapchat and Instagram. I have a pair of shorts that only has a zipper on one side that I've been fitting my phone, wallet, keys in just fine for years.

Thanks for the updates, Bill. My parents are in their 60s also, and it's hilarious seeing their reactions when they don't know what to expect. I hope I'm still capable in 30 years. Are they still allowing glasses with a strap to be worn? Usually when they would ask, I would show them the strap and they'd say I was good. Honestly, the Cedar Point branded strap they sell in their shops works really well and makes it so you have about the same chance losing those as you would a watch.

My dad wears glasses but forgot a strap on Friday when we were there. He just winged it and the ride op didn't say anything and his glasses were fine.

I find this rather strange. If they are hitting you at 74 mph, glasses, keys, or a wallet aren't going to hurt any less than a cell phone would.

People usually don't hold their wallets or keys in the air in front of them while they're on the train. I'd rather get hit in the face with a light pair of Oakleys than a hard heavy cell phone with a glass screen.

I might as well put my charger in there too, but I'm just wondering if it would hypothetically be allowed.

Just why?

People usually don't hold their wallets or keys in the air in front of them while they're on the train. I'd rather get hit in the face with a light pair of Oakleys than a hard heavy cell phone with a glass screen.

This I understand. It's just unfortunate that those who do take their phones out on rides have caused the rest of us to not even be able to take our phones in the queue. I would definitely prefer to be hit by a wallet rather than a phone, but keys - getting hit by keys could be even worse than getting hit by a phone. Even with your explanation, it just feels strange that ONLY phones aren't allowed, but tons of other loose articles are.

Just why?

Just wondering about the policy. Is it really "anything but your phone" or just "anything but something shaped like a phone"?

Is it really "anything but your phone" or just "anything but something shaped like a phone"?

What the f*ck?

Sorry I even posted that clarification, I thought people would feel slightly better knowing that they only care about phones since so much of the conversation was centered around "I have prescription glasses / a wallet / an emotional support armadillo and I may die now if they're not allowed. Can I bring them in the queue?"

We went to the park Saturday and Sunday. We had a great time. We followed the rules and doing so did not negatively impact our day in any way.

Is it really "anything but your phone" or just "anything but something shaped like a phone"?

What the f*ck?

Sorry I even posted that clarification, I thought people would feel slightly better knowing that they only care about phones since so much of the conversation was centered around "I have prescription glasses / a wallet / an emotional support armadillo and I may die now if they're not allowed. Can I bring them in the queue?"

We went to the park Saturday and Sunday. We had a great time. We followed the rules and doing so did not negatively impact our day in any way.

Sorry, I'm just trying to find more clarification about the rule. I'm might be heading there next week and I'd like to know exactly what I can and cannot bring into the queue. I'm just curious whether this policy is focused solely on phones or whether it includes other types of articles as well. Thanks for the clarification.

What the f*ck?

When clearly stated things are meant literally and people ask what it really means...

I want to respond but every time I start to I just end up staring at the screen in disbelief.

The rule is pretty simple. If you have something in your pocket that you don't need AT ALL until the ride is over and you're already getting a locker then you might as well just put that in a locker too. The park shouldn't have to spell everything out for everyone with a full list of what is and isn't allowed in every retarded hypothetical scenario.

If the phone is in a locker then why would you need the charger for it in line? I'm half expecting the next question to be "I know I can't bring my phone in line but can I bring my phone case in the line if I take the phone out and leave that in a locker? I need clarification! I might be going to the park next week and I need a response, its important."