TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hi everyone - two questions. One, when do Platinum Passes start selling for next year, and two, do they include the rest of 2018 if you buy them at a certain time? Thinking of getting a Platinum Pass so I can go to Cedar Point this year, and KI, CP (again), and MA next year. Getting a Platinum Pass would help.

^Usually late August/early September passes go up for sale and renewal. The past couple seasons when you purchased a new pass you got ONE "free" admission for the current season. If you were a renewal you received one free Fastlane+. Can not guarantee that will be this years promotion.

^^I bought my 2018 pass on August 25th last year and it included one free admission in 2017 and reduced admission for any other visits. I bought mine through Carowinds and the free pass could be used for Scarowinds or WInterfest as well.

This is a next day post, I was there yesterday the 25th, and had an amazing day. The whole phone thing really isn’t too bad, although we did have FP+. I would like to see Cedar Point come with a better tactic in the off season, but I get why they’re doing it, especially after marathoning SV and understanding just how insane the airtime is. Anyway I feel like one reason they don’t have a better system in place at this time is due to time and this being a problem they didn’t foresee. I definitely could see them doing something better during an offseason when they actually have time to change stuff without closing down their best ride.

Anyway I finally got a night ride on SV and oh my god. It’s even more insane. Mostly because of how disorienting the darkness, wood and incredible layout make a night ride. Definitely the best night ride I’ve had, but I’ll be honest Shivering Timbers is not far behind. I got a smooth night ride on it and let me tell you it’s pretty good too (mostly because it’s 100% dark from drop to camera).

I also tried Maverick at night, which was still incredible as it’s my #2 ride in the park, but honestly in terms of night rides I would put it behind Cheetah Hunt. Something about the out and back part on CH, as well as the water and rocks on it being pitch black makes it seems better at night IMHO, plus I rode Maverick after Steel Vengance so maybe it’s awesomeness hurt my opinion.

There is also another poster, I don’t know if anyone has posted about it yet but I was so confused when I saw a different one than what I saw on here a few days ago.

Ive been thinking about applying to the park and living in a dorm next summer. Any of you guys do this? Is it something you recommend?
I was fascinated by the dorms when I was there.. rustic and old looking, it reminded me of my old summer camp staff days.. I asked a few workers about it and they all seemed to enjoy them.. some sid lived in local hotels/apartments that had summer only rates for park workers and they noted the experience in those is much better than the dorms but much more expensive.. it seemed mostly newer and younger staff lived in the dorms.. after talking to a lot of folks, they actually reminded me of old College dorms, after a year or so people got burnt out on the dorm life and rented apartments

Again, I have no experience with them but they did fascinate me so I did ask around..

I believe CP has some nicer housing in town as well from what I heard from workers and I did see a built on my way out in town that said something about staff housing but it cost more.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Ive been thinking about applying to the park and living in a dorm next summer. Any of you guys do this? Is it something you recommend?

There are some current employees on here who can give better responses but I did spend some time there in 2005 when we were helping on weekends from GL.

Basically, they're like college dorms. If you can survive those you can survive Point. From my experiences (over a decade ago) usually 4-6 people a room with bunk beds. Shared bathrooms, etc. They're not bad but don't expect luxury living.

But I loved working at an amusement park for 5 summers, best job I ever had. I would 100% recommend doing it. Just expect long hours, like 60-70+ a week.

I'm sure that some will have better answers than I will. During a TTD breakdown (imagine that) I spoke with the grouper. She said the dorms go fast since they are the most convenient being on site and that everybody wants them. Everything else is off site and slightly cheaper, but I think she said the cost for living in employee housing ranged from $6-$9/day.

I’m also considering working at Cedar Point next year and have a question as well, does anyone know what the pay rate for ride operators is? I’m making $12/hr. at Valleyfair right now, so I’ll probably be taking a pay cut if I end up doing it, but I’m hoping the experience of working at Cedar Point will make up for it.

I’m also considering working at Cedar Point next year and have a question as well, does anyone know what the pay rate for ride operators is? I’m making $12/hr. at Valleyfair right now, so I’ll probably be taking a pay cut if I end up doing it, but I’m hoping the experience of working at Cedar Point will make up for it.

When I was looking I believe it was $8

Ohio’s minimum wage is that low? In New York minimum wage is $10.40 per hour.

Wow, that’s crazy that the CP ride ops perform as well as they do for only $8/hr!! All the ride ops at SFMM get paid at least $13.25 and the employee quality is definitely not at the same level as CP’s.

Wow, that’s crazy that the CP ride ops perform as well as they do for only $8/hr!! All the ride ops at SFMM get paid at least $13.25 and the employee quality is definitely not at the same level as CP’s.

If this doesn’t teach people that higher wages are not a solution for better employees, I’m not sure what will.

(Except running your own business maybe)

If this doesn’t teach people that higher wages are not a solution for better employees, I’m not sure what will.

Again... cost of living. I just did a quick search and the cheapest apartment I found in Santa Clarita is $1250 a month and it's a studio. The cheapest apartment I found in Sandusky is $510 and it's a one bedroom.

The wages are comparable when you factor in cost of living. You might even be better off at Cedar Point. It's impossible to draw that conclusion from these numbers.

Cedar Point, like Disney and Universal, has a definite pull for a lot of people who are interested in working in the industry. The housing on site only goes to benefit those people further. But Cedar Point is also short handed on a pretty permanent basis these days, so maybe paying people a little more money wouldn't hurt. You know, since the market for labor is also a market, and you still need to compete.

Now, to answer the original poster's question: it used to be that going to Cedar Point and succeeding there would be a fast track to getting a permanent job elsewhere in the chain. With the management having turned over a few times and the new Bowling Green deal, I have no idea if that will be true next year or 3 years from now. If you are in a financially good position at Valleyfair working there, I would say to stick around. The smart thing to do -the ONLY thing to do if you are serious about working in parks - is to look at those directors and upper echelon managers and let them know that you will take any opportunity that comes up. Food, games, group outings, whatever division it is, you're interested. It is going to be very difficult to get your foot in the door for a permanent job only knowing and doing rides. If that's what you want to do at CP, I don't know that it is gonna benefit you really should that be the goal.

The smart thing to do -the ONLY thing to do if you are serious about working in parks - is to look at those directors and upper echelon managers and let them know that you will take any opportunity that comes up. Food, games, group outings, whatever division it is, you're interested. It is going to be very difficult to get your foot in the door for a permanent job only knowing and doing rides. If that's what you want to do at CP, I don't know that it is gonna benefit you really should that be the goal.

This is extremely good advice. I worked 5 summers at GL in rides making it to a supervisor. I know about 5 or so people who have worked their way up the CF management chain. All started in rides, none of them are currently in rides or ended their CF careers in rides. They moved onto other departments such as games, merchandise, park services, etc as new opportunities arose.

There are very few opportunities in the industry and if you put blinders on to only be within 1 department you'll be stuck in seasonal management hell forever, a decade plus in some cases I know and never move on. Be open to opportunities and take what you can get. You'd be surprised at how many park GM's started off as a lowly midway sweep and worked their way up.

I can certainly testify for the cheaper cost of living in Ohio! I moved from the bay area where I was paying $1250 for a studio loft. Now, outside of Cincinnati I pay $525 for a one-bedroom. People from Ohio always ask me, "Why would you want to leave CA and come here?" Well, for one, I like the coasters out here better. But mostly, I can actually afford to live out here and go to grad school without taking out exorbitant student loans just to cover the cost of living.

Gas is also a whole $1 cheaper than CA. I think lots of food is cheaper here too, besides wine.

Biggest benefit of living in CA is the weather, and now with SFMM running year-round, someone can conceivably work a minimum-wage rides job full-time year-round. I've thought about my chances of securing a full-time job at KI or CP out here, but I imagine there are very few positions that actually hold employment year-round. If anything, I'd be better set teaching during the school-year and working at a theme park over the summer.

Cedar Point, like Disney and Universal, has a definite pull for a lot of people who are interested in working in the industry. The housing on site only goes to benefit those people further. But Cedar Point is also short handed on a pretty permanent basis these days, so maybe paying people a little more money wouldn't hurt. You know, since the market for labor is also a market, and you still need to compete.

Now, to answer the original poster's question: it used to be that going to Cedar Point and succeeding there would be a fast track to getting a permanent job elsewhere in the chain. With the management having turned over a few times and the new Bowling Green deal, I have no idea if that will be true next year or 3 years from now. If you are in a financially good position at Valleyfair working there, I would say to stick around. The smart thing to do -the ONLY thing to do if you are serious about working in parks - is to look at those directors and upper echelon managers and let them know that you will take any opportunity that comes up. Food, games, group outings, whatever division it is, you're interested. It is going to be very difficult to get your foot in the door for a permanent job only knowing and doing rides. If that's what you want to do at CP, I don't know that it is gonna benefit you really should that be the goal.

Part of the reason I’m thinking about switching to CP next year is because I’m living in Valleyfair’s dorms right now, and I’ve heard rumors that starting next year, the dorms will be closed to Americans/for internationals only.

As for my department, I’m planning on sticking with rides since that’s what I’m most comfortable and experienced with right now, though I am willing to switch to another department if I think it could lead to a better career opportunity. If it helps, I have occasionally helped out in a few other divisions at Valleyfair in the past, so I do know a little more that just rides.

It might help to bring your experience from working at another park. It's a jump from one Cedar Fair park to another, so there will also be some familiarity. Sit on the decision and let it settle in. Good luck.

I'd imagine you're going to school in the off season? What are you majoring in?

Fast Lane Plus is out of control. The line for it was out of the queue for Steel Vengeance today. They got one complaint and the standby line went from maybe 60-75 min to over 2 hours. The ratios on the seat assigning are atrocious. I would be fine if it was just consistent. It took me 20 minutes just to go from the stairs to the station. I just don’t understand why every single person wants to ride Steel Vengeance because not one other ride has a substantial Fast Lane queue right now.