TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hey all, haven’t posted here in a while but we are planning to be at the park tomorrow and are trying to hit all the major rides. From experience are the lines usually bad on a Wednesday? We are planning to hit Steel Vengeance first of course then go over to Maverick with our logic being the lines wouldn’t be too too bad by then as most people will be heading for SV. If anyone has any tips for us or what order we should head towards the coasters, it would be much appreciated!! Thank you!

Am I missing the Millennium Force love-fest?

I have noticed that the ride has been universally praised by everyone this year. I'm not sure if it's because it's running any different, because enthusiasts are finally coming to their senses or what but welcome to the party.

I believe the shorter waits are influencing people's decisions, even if they won't admit it.

I have noticed that the ride has been universally praised by everyone this year. I'm not sure if it's because it's running any different, because enthusiasts are finally coming to their senses or what but welcome to the party.

I believe the shorter waits are influencing people's decisions, even if they won't admit it.

That's an interesting observation - MF never had longer than a 15 minute wait when I was at CP in 2016 and I never hesitated to call it my favorite coaster (except after riding Maverick in the back... it took some more rides on MF to stop me from doing something silly and normal like putting Maverick above it). I wonder if waiting longer for something screws with your expectations psychologically, aside from just being able to ride something more times.

Hey guys, so I will be heading to CP next week on Tuesday and Wednesday. My last visit was back in August 2003, so a lot has changed since then. That trip I stayed at Breakers and had a fantastic time. With cash kind of tight, I will be staying at Breakers Express. I had a few questions:

1) Since I will be staying at a CP property, I will have access to early entry on Wednesday. What entrance should I use to get me to Steel Vengeance/Maverick the quickest? And what would be the best place to park in relation to that entrance?

2) I know the hotels offer you the chance to get tickets at the lobby. Do they also sell Fast Lane at the hotels?

3) What are some good places for food after park closing in the immediate area of Breakers Express?

Thanks in advance!

You can use the entrance by Magnum, but Steel Vengeance may not run for Early Entry. It hasn’t been running on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. Raptor has been running in its place. The park gave a timeline for this and I think it should be back to normal by now with Steel Vengeance on Early Entry daily but as of yesterday that hasn’t happened.

The only place by the breakers express that will be open when the park closes is the McDonald’s right across the street. Maybe the Dairy Queen too, I can’t remember if that closes at 10 or 11.

The whole town basically closes at 10. Even if you drive down Milan Rd toward 2 only fast food places will be open. Down that way I believe Burger King closes at 11, Steak ‘n Shake will be open and the McDonald’s is open 24 hours.

So unfortunately there isn’t a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use the entrance by Magnum, but Steel Vengeance may not run for Early Entry. It hasn’t been running on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. Raptor has been running in its place. The park gave a timeline for this and I think it should be back to normal by now with Steel Vengeance on Early Entry daily but as of yesterday that hasn’t happened.

... aaaaaaaand Steel Vengeance is open for early entry today. I don't know.

It was also opened for early entery both mornings I was there, although the line was still 30+ minutes.. my days were Sunday and Monday.

Still better than waiting 2 hours though

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

It's been open Friday through Monday throughout. A few weeks ago it was announced that on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays through July 12 it would be closed for Early Entry and replaced with Raptor, but that seemed like it ended up being the case through yesterday.

The only place by the breakers express that will be open when the park closes is the McDonald’s right across the street. Maybe the Dairy Queen too, I can’t remember if that closes at 10 or 11.

The whole town basically closes at 10. Even if you drive down Milan Rd toward 2 only fast food places will be open. Down that way I believe Burger King closes at 11, Steak ‘n Shake will be open and the McDonald’s is open 24 hours.

And the Thirsty Pony will be open also.

^^Having your phone in line is not a crime per say.

Failure to follow written or verbal safety instructions is the crime. Therefore failing to follow this direction can be considered a crime.

Yes, humans suck so here we are.

That's a cop out. The sign is clearly implying "keep your phone outside or else..."

People are stupid. Doesn't mean the park can't find reasonable solutions to counteract that.

That may be, but you'll also find that exact language regarding Ohio Revised Code on every single CP, KI, CPS ride safety signage at ride entrances. It's on a small board at the bottom. It's added to this sign to reinforce that it is a misdemeanor to not follow it. It is also I believe printed in the park map for rider safety information. It's there. Has always been there and will always be there. This sign is because humans will ignore every other sign and piece of literature that stats that code.

https://cdn-cloudfront.cfauthx.com/binaries/content/assets/cp-en-us/general-information/explore/2018-park-map.jpg You can check the park map yourself. It's right below the main entrance.

There is a huge difference between burying it in fine print and putting it front and center on a sign. It's extremely tacky.

The thirsty pony and quicker steak and lubes is near breakers Express as well. I recommend thirsty pony. They have a great beer selection, and food. The chicken wings and pizza are my favorite.

I was at the park on 7/24! It was a great day filled with firsts. Saw a lady go toe to toe (via words) with a park security member for line jumping. Crazy and kind of scary as we had to walk past the confrontation to continue in line. First ride on Steel Vengeance!

Wow, just wow. So perfect. The last loop inside the structure is one of the coolest experiences I have ever had on a coaster.

I also had a first time rollback. Not on TTD as I pray every time I ride, but on Maverick on the top of the first hill. We coasted back to the bottom of the lift, a ride host told us we were going to back up and launch again. We accelerated to the top and felt launch stop and the train slow quickly again, just cresting the top of the hill. SO COOL!

The back of the park was very busy in the morning, but the front was dead (except Valravn). By 6pm MF, Gatekeeper, Raptor were all walk ons. AMAZING!

Question about Raptor: Is it louder and faster this year? My wife and I both thought it was running faster and LOUDER. Like, really loud. Or am I just making things up?

Finally, the night was filled with Fire and Ice band. So much fun. The band looks and sounds great!

An amazing trip.

That's an interesting observation - MF never had longer than a 15 minute wait when I was at CP in 2016 and I never hesitated to call it my favorite coaster (except after riding Maverick in the back... it took some more rides on MF to stop me from doing something silly and normal like putting Maverick above it). I wonder if waiting longer for something screws with your expectations psychologically, aside from just being able to ride something more times.

It's just all about your personality. I'm kind of the same way. I absolutely prefer fast lane, but sometimes not being able to have fast lane or waiting a little (not too long) can make me have a greater appreciation for my ride. Hershey was kind of this way for us. Granted none of the waits were any longer than 20 minutes for the rides we rode. You want what you can't have right now, maybe?

The thirsty pony and quicker steak and lubes is near breakers Express as well. I recommend thirsty pony. They have a great beer selection, and food. The chicken wings and pizza are my favorite.

I think there are a few pizza delivery places that are open late, too. I'd heard some complaints that the Thirsty Pony had always been closed when people leave the park? I'm not sure if this has changed. Either way, sounds like there are plenty of options for late night food.

I know your probably trying to find places that are only outside the park to eat but TGI Friday's in the resort is open until 1 on weekends. Not sure if they are during the week or not.. my wife and I ate there twice and it was only a couple more dollars than our local TGI Friday's (local is 12.99 for the burger I eat and resort was $15.99).. but TGI Friday's gave me my rewards points for eating there, although they wouldn't let me redeem my rewards there. (I have enough for several free buggers lol from past visits)

Edit: Side Note Bout earning Friday's rewards at the resort.. the barcode on my receipt wouldnt scan into their app and the waitress said you can't earn them there.. I simply emailed Friday's my receipts and had my rewards the day after my email.. no fuss no fight. They said it's a corporate Friday's and while they don't accept the coupons there due to price differences, they do allow you to earn rewards. I was told at the park that CP owned the Friday's so your results might be different depending on the CS agent you get at Friday's

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Going back to the loose article policy, I think a lot of the concern draws from the fact that many people are literally addicted to their cell phones. Even 5-10 years ago, this wouldn’t be as big of an issue. I think now, people always feel that they “NEED” to check Twitter/Snapchat/Instagram every 15 minutes. Yes, I get it would be nice (and pretty standard) to have your phone in a line that long, but it is really sad to see that people seem to believe they can’t survive without it.

Can we just talk about how epic Steel Vengeance is?! It's probably the best coaster in the world and yet all we are doing is talking about our cell phones. That's crazy to me. Also went on New Texas Giant this month with three other people, and the two of us that had ridden Steel Vengeance were not all that impressed by Texas Giant, the other two were blown away. This ride is so good it ruined that ride for us.

Not trying to play Debbie Downer here, but I ended up contracting hot tub folliculitis from the hot tub at Soak City after some time at the swim-up bar.

The day after we were there, I got all of these welts on my body and when I went to my doctor, she asked if I had been in a hot tub recently.

And that's why I avoid public hot tubs and lakes anymore. It's my dumb luck that I get stuff like that...and yeah, I'd be the one with that would probably inhale that brain-eating amoeba!

Oh! I also avoid Hot Tubs! Human soup with a bunch of half naked strangers never really appealed to me.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! HUMAN SOUP!

I already booked a place to stay for the last Sunday/Monday of August but haven’t bought tickets yet. I am still on the fence about getting FL+. First, how long is the typical FL+ wait for SV? Also, is it worth it to make this purchase if I want to get multiple rides on SV, while still getting on everything else? I am only here once every few years, so I am hoping to make the most out of the trip by trying FL+, which I have never actually done before.

3) What are some good places for food after park closing in the immediate area of Breakers Express?

I think there are a few pizza delivery places that are open late, too. I'd heard some complaints that the Thirsty Pony had always been closed when people leave the park? I'm not sure if this has changed. Either way, sounds like there are plenty of options for late night food.

In response to your question, Nitro1118, and alongside what prozach said, earlier this year when RawkinCoaster and I stayed at the Breakers Express the night before Coastermania, we ordered pizza delivery, and it was absolutely delicious! I think the place is called Mamma B's, though I wouldn't swear by that being the name. They were advertised in the book inside the hotel room though, so that should steer you in the right direction. Also, I highly recommend the Seafood pizza, if you're into Shrimp! Oh my, was it amazing tasting!

Even 5-10 years ago, this wouldn’t be as big of an issue. I think now, people always feel that they “NEED” to check Twitter/Snapchat/Instagram every 15 minutes. Yes, I get it would be nice (and pretty standard) to have your phone in a line that long, but it is really sad to see that people seem to believe they can’t survive without it.

People lived just fine without cars for many years. But now we have cars. It is really sad to see that people seem to believe they can't survive without their cars. People lived just fine without TV for many years. But now we have TV. It is really sad to see that people seem to believe they can't survive without TV. People lived just fine without microwaves for many years. But now we have microwaves. It is really sad to see that people seem to believe they can't survive without their microwave. People lived just fine without indoor plumbing. But now we have indoor plumbing. It is really sad to see that people seem to believe they can't survive without indoor plumbing.

Seriously your argument is so insanely stupid it hurts my brain.

Edited by robbalvey

Thanks for all the helpful tips, guys! We just officially reserved the room. Forecast currently calls for rain both days, but it is still far enough away that I put little stock in it. It's our only chance to make this trip work this year so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I already booked a place to stay for the last Sunday/Monday of August but haven’t bought tickets yet. I am still on the fence about getting FL+. First, how long is the typical FL+ wait for SV? Also, is it worth it to make this purchase if I want to get multiple rides on SV, while still getting on everything else? I am only here once every few years, so I am hoping to make the most out of the trip by trying FL+, which I have never actually done before.

If you can afford it I would just go ahead and book FL+ for Sunday. I'm a local and never buy it at Point but I do at other CF parks when I visit to maximize my experience. And as far as waits go that is always dependent on the day, weather, etc. But is a 30 min wait better for you than a 2 hour wait? If so, then it is still value added for your trip. Besides all the other rides it'll significantly reduce your waits for such as Maverick, TTD, Pipescream and Lake Erie Eagles!

TL:DR, if you can afford it just get it. Sunday for sure, for Monday I would wait and see how crowded the park is.