TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

SFOT has zippered pockets secured on the backs of cars to put your cell, sunglasses, etc as well as bins on their big rides. As far as I know they don't have a problem with people using their cells on the rides. I would HATE to stand in a 2 hour line and not be able to entertain myself.

If someone wants to be an A$$ and use their cell on a ride make the penalty stiff. You're out for the rest of the season. And if you lose your cell, do a once a week sweep and if it's found you have to come back to the park to retrieve it, and you're out for the rest of the season.

I understand someone could get hit by a loose cellphone and that's the real reason for these rules though.

I agree that the policies need to at least be consistently enforced to deter people. If someone knowingly pulls out their phone going up a lift hill, every warning they hear and see says they're subject to "ejection from the park without refund," so why aren't they? Too many times when someone pulls out their phone on a ride, it's just an E-stop, then the op walks up the lift hill to tell them to put it away or takes it for when they return. I was at Kings Island in April, and someone on Banshee lit up a cigarette while going up the lift hill. Other than the ride op walking up the lift hill to "scold" them and tell them to put it out, there were no other repercussions. If that's not grounds for getting kicked out, I don't know what is.

When someone pulled their phone out on Gemini they just went up on the lift and grab it and then handed it back to the guest after the ride.

Nothing was done about it at all.. Now line jumping on rides, I saw them call the CP Police several times on that.. I guess line jumping is more dangerous than phones being out on rides

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

People rank coasters based on loose article policies now?

While I would never "rank a ride" based on it, the annoyance factor DOES play into how often I will ride something. For example, I have been on Hulk a total of *ONE TIME* since it re-opened and I've never even seen the actual new queue because I did single rider.

I only rode Dueling Dragons ONCE after the metal detectors went in and I only went to ride it because it was closing. I'm pretty sure I also posted my trip report somewhere from that night mainly because I wanted to point how just how insanely stupid and frustrating the lockers were for that ride.

I can't even tell you the last time I rode Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and I'm not even sure I've ridden it since the metal detectors went in, and I do actually LIKE that ride!

Thankfully for our upcoming visit to Cedar Point we have Fast Lane Plus and ERT on Steel Vengeance so it's not a huge issue for me personally, but I will speak strongly and loudly AGAINST any park that has a rule that forces you to put your items, especially your phone away in a locker for the duration of a line.

And not even just for entertainment purposes, for example, Kristen is now of the age where she can start doing parks on her own with her group of friends. There is NO WAY IN HELL I will allow her to stand in a line for a ride where I couldn't be in contact with her for any length of time.

I'm sorry, I just feel this rule is completely stupid and is an example the WORST guest satisfaction that a park can employ. I hate it and I won't tolerate it. I will choose not to ride and I will encourage others to do the same and go to Guest Relations and politely tell them that they are unhappy with these new policies. We need as many people as possible to do that.

There has to be a better solution.

I totally agree that there’s a better solution. You brought up a great point earlier about them taking the staff that’s currently working in the queue checking for phones and moving them to the station to take and store loose articles there. If they did that and I didn’t have Fastlane I might even pay a premium for it over the standard locker charge at the front of the queue.

I have a friend at C. P. - Crappy Park today and he was carrying a magazine. He was allowed to enter the queue, but was told it MUST BE DISCARDED on the platform. Cedar Point and Cedar Fair for that matter are on my last nerve!

I have a friend at C. P. - Crappy Park today

It’s one thing to be upset with the park over a new policy and speak about it using logic and reason, but are these childish insults really needed? They don’t give your argument any weight and just make you sound immature. If you approached me at GR with this kind of attitude I would stop listening to you after your first five words.

Try to be a bit more professional and maybe people may think about taking you seriously.

I understand the safety concerns and I can respect the park doing everything to keep guests safe.

Did something happen that they are now beingso strict? When I was there last month they said everything had to be in a "secured pocket". I even had to move my wallet from my back pocket to a front one because they warned us that "it will be lost".

They no longer want any lose articles while in line even and will kick you out of line for having your phone, what's next? I have glasses, and while I will be wearing a strap for them on my next visit, will those be required to be stored in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo and have to wait however long practically blind?

I know that's a bit extreme of an example and honestly pretty stupid, but just trying to prove a continued point of how this is a ridiculous policy that they need to seriously reconsider.

I understand the safety concerns and I can respect the park doing everything to keep guests safe.

Did something happen that they are now beingso strict? When I was there last month they said everything had to be in a "secured pocket". I even had to move my wallet from my back pocket to a front one because they warned us that "it will be lost".

They no longer want any lose articles while in line even and will kick you out of line for having your phone, what's next? I have glasses, and while I will be wearing a strap for them on my next visit, will those be required to be stored in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo and have to wait however long practically blind?

I know that's a bit extreme of an example and honestly pretty stupid, but just trying to prove a continued point of how this is a ridiculous policy that they need to seriously reconsider.

Nothing happened at Cedar Point but they had an incident at another cedar fair park that brought this on. I posted a news article a few pages back and it mentioned it

Heck I was there MONDAY and they said secured in a secure pocket or tuck your shirt in and put loose articles down your shirt. This was on SV.. Lol it's very recent.. please note I rode SV during ERT so the policy might have taken place later Monday but it wasn't during ER

I will say, Monday, glasses were told to be put down your shirt. They didn't allow glasses on SV Monday. That's a good point but they very likely won't allow them in line if they are being this strict.. hopefully they will allow you to put them in your pocket or down your shirt

If the Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas can allow guests to be in line 800+ feet in the air prior to getting on the rides and simply allowing you to place your items in a bin, why can't a park on the ground!?!? I completely do not agree with the policy and I would not want to wait in line without my phone, sometimes our group goes and does something else if they don't want to ride the ride we are waiting on, they keep in touch with us to see where we are at in queue and it may allow them to ride multiple other rides in that timeframe. It's a method of communication, just let me place my items in a bin at the platform, I totally get not being allowed to take items on the ride, but don't tell me I can't queue in line with them.

I'm sure CP has redirected enough personnel to make sure lockers are working adequately and effectively for the literal thousands of guests now needing one before entering the line. Why would I believe otherwise? That's a park that has never had issues effectively staffing before.

I hope before I go back in a couple weeks that they have something figured out that will lead to me actually riding Steel Vengeance again rather than dealing with a clusterF when I get to the back of the park. If I can't ride the thing with a zippered pouch containing my credit cards/cash/pass attached to my person via carabiner (I'll even go back pocket, as uncomfortable as that is!), I doubt I'll bother.

I'm in the same boat, my vision is terrible without glasses and I would not be able to navigate or stand in any line if I had to leave them in a locker. Contacts are not an option for me, so there's no other alternative. I'm also not going to stuff a $700 pair of prescription glasses down my shirt like a cheap pair of sunglasses, when the straps that THEY SELL work just fine to secure them. I want to say glasses with a tight strap are not considered a loose article, and fall in the same vein as a watch, but honestly who knows at this point.

Glasses with a strap were considered a loose article for SV on Monday and they did in fact make you put them down a shirt or a secured pocket.. it happened to folks on both my rides, during my ERT Monday and ERT Sunday

I never got on SV Saturday so not sure what they were doing then and this was my first trip to CP so not sure what they would normally do on SV

Glasses with a strap were considered a loose article for SV on Monday and they did in fact make you put them down a shirt or a secured pocket.. it happened to folks on both my rides, during my ERT Monday and ERT Sunday

I never got on SV Saturday so not sure what they were doing then and this was my first trip to CP so not sure what they would normally do on SV

I always wear my glasses with a strap on any coaster and certain flats when I'm in any park. To ask me to stick my glasses into a pocket wouldn't go over well with me at all. My wallet and phone go into separate cargo pockets and I know how smashed they get on some rides so i can only imagine how bent up or damaged my glasses would be.

But hey if they're willing to give me $300 for a pair of new glasses and drive me home (2 1/2 hours away), sure!

I'll wait to see if this becomes a concrete policy before actually flipping a table.

I have a strap that says Cedar Fair on it, bought at Kings Dominion. When I was there earlier this year the i305 attendant checked to make sure I had the strap. (I was waiting for the front seat and didn't want my eyeballs careening through the course without some sort of protection.) Same with Twisted Timbers, which I assume has comparable airtime to SV.

My main issue with the l o c k e r s is I don't trust their security, especially with keys and wallet when I am very far from home. 99% of the time it is probably fine, but 100% of the time my zippered pocket has held them just fine. Skyrush. Toro. A couple RMCs and Intamins. I don't keep a cell phone in my pocket most of the time because I don't want the uplift force to bend the device, but the few times I have had it I've made triply sure it's not going anywhere.

I'm curious if any park has studied whether putting a box of busted cell phones at the start of a line has made an impact on people holding cell phones out on a ride. I don't know how that would be measured.

Was at the park today. They very adamantly tell everyone no phones in line even with cargo shorts. The don't use a metal detector so you can sneak your phone through if you keep it in your pocket. The thing is though they had a ride op or two wandering the line watching like hawks for phones. If they caught you, you were kicked out of line. I rode twice today and saw someone get kicked out 4 times. So sneaking your phone in line really only gets you the $2 back.

Was at the park today. They very adamantly tell everyone no phones in line even with cargo shorts. The don't use a metal detector so you can sneak your phone through if you keep it in your pocket. The thing is though they had a ride op or two wandering the line watching like hawks for phones. If they caught you, you were kicked out of line. I rode twice today and saw someone get kicked out 4 times. So sneaking your phone in line really only gets you the $2 back.
I'd hate that job, wonder how often the op was cussed out or guest argued with the op? That's like being a phone sellsman to me! I'm just glad I got my trip in before this! I know SV had nearly a two hour wait last Saturday and about 1.5 hour wait the rest of my trip.. luckily ERT was only 30 minutes but still, without a phone, it would probably feel like an hour.

Now I am hearing that they are not allowing eye glasses on the ride, even with a strap on them.

Not 100% sure this is true, but a few people on Facebook have mentioned this. If this is true, as much as I like this ride I am done with it. I am blind without my glasses.

Now I am hearing that they are not allowing eye glasses on the ride, even with a strap on them.

Not 100% sure this is true, but a few people on Facebook have mentioned this. If this is true, as much as I like this ride I am done with it. I am blind without my glasses.

It was true during my visit last weekend. I witnessed this in person.. but over that weekend they allowed you to put glasses in your pocket or shirt on SV

It was true during my visit this past weekend. I witnessed this in person.. but over the weekend they allowed you to put glasses in your pocket on SV

So I can put a $500 pair of glasses in my pocket to get crushed or fall out and hit somebody, but not a cell phone?

I have been on this ride several times, and wore straps on my glasses every time. At no point, did they even come near the point of feeling like they were in any danger of falling off.

I have a lot of thoughts on this whole situation, - especially given the latest information - but I'm just going to leave most of them as thoughts at this time, and in this place. For now, it is what it is, and there's no point ranting in a lengthy post about it. All I'm going to say, is that I'm sure glad I got to the park a bunch, and got a bunch of rides in on SV already this year, before this nonsense started! I thought I might go back once or twice this year yet, but as long as this policy is in place, I'll pass. I know the loss of my meager in-park expenses is only a drop in the bucket, but if enough people feel the same, maybe CP will come to their senses, and reverse this over-reactive "policy". I suspect that over time, or by next year, they'll have figured out a better way to handle the situation, and I'll be back. I'm not even super obsessed with having my phone in line with me, but for me at least, it's the principle of the matter, and I'm more than fine saving my money and not going again this year.

^ So what the hell, then? We'll be at Cedar Point next week and I can't wait to see for myself what is going on. I'm really happy I booked us two ERT sessions on Steel Vengeance because at this point I'm not sure I'd suggest that any of our group actually stand in line for it until the park gets their act together.

Is there a reason parks don't have "swinging door shelves" on the platform like T Express even for 3 train rides like this. It's such a simple design, 3 rows of shelves with two doors that swing with the flick of a switch so the only belongings accessible match the train on the station. Nearly all the people climb across to put their stuff on those shelves and are still sat belted and ready to go by dispatch time. Or is it just a "never in America" thing in terms of people being that organized?

Is there a reason parks don't have "swinging door shelves" on the platform like T Express even for 3 train rides like this. It's such a simple design, 3 rows of shelves with two doors that swing with the flick of a switch so the only belongings accessible match the train on the station. Nearly all the people climb across to put their stuff on those shelves and are still sat belted and ready to go by dispatch time. Or is it just a "never in America" thing in terms of people being that organized?

There's parks that have it. I think even like Wild Eagle has this at Dollywood. Parks argue that bins are bad because they "slow dispatches", which is their code for "we have to staff more people on the station to ensure we can leave in a timely fashion". Disney doesn't have these issues because they spend money. That's what it all comes back to.