TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Remember, there are 17 other coasters you can ride where you don’t have to lock away your phone in line!

Such a stupid argument. I’m not even entertaining this with a real response because it’s not worth my time.

Back when Steel Vengeance had it's share of downtime (after the collision, right before CoasterMania, etc) I saw many posts on Social Media that expressed dissapointment about it being closed. 99% of these posts had a comment along the lines of "well your park ticket isn't for you to ride SV, it's for you to enjoy the park! So what if one coaster is closed? They have 16 more!"

uhh, what? If I drove 6 hours from Chicago with the hope to ride Steel Vengeance, if it's closed, I'm allowed to be dissapointed, right? The 16 other rides that are open don't mean that I'm not dissapointed about the one ride that's closed..

^This isn’t really the point but where did that come from?

I’m 99% sure that Steel Vengeance has only had one full day where it didn’t operate at all and it was the day before CoasterMania where they were testing it with 2 trains all day. For a new ride, it’s been relatively reliable. Sure, it hasn’t been operating at full capacity but aside from one day and a wind closure on Ohio State Day, it’s been open.

^This isn’t really the point but where did that come from?

I’m 99% sure that Steel Vengeance has only had one full day where it didn’t operate at all and it was the day before CoasterMania where they were testing it with 2 trains all day. For a new ride, it’s been relatively reliable. Sure, it hasn’t been operating at full capacity but aside from one day and a wind closure on Ohio State Day, it’s been open.

Yeah I overstated that a bit, I was just referring to opening day after the incident and the day before CoasterMania. I'm glad it's running reliably now, let's hope it can run at full capacity soon too.

Remember, there are 16 other coasters you can ride where you don’t have to lock away your phone in line!

Such a stupid argument. I’m not even entertaining this with a real response because it’s not worth my time.

I mean, that doesn’t excuse SV at all and it isn’t an argument. But rather than whining about something they’re already trying to fix (I’m sure CP knows this isn’t ideal), I just wanted to look at the bright side for a second.

Ok so I was at the park today and since people were asking, they are enforcing the no phone policy 100%. No exceptions for zipped pockets. They send employees through every switchback looking for phones.

I only rode it once today and saw them kick 2 people out of line. One guy was on the last straight section too, lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They send employees through every switchback looking for phones.

This makes even less sense. If you're going to dedicate budget to have staff wander through the switchbacks looking for phones, why can't you dedicate staff on the platform going down the row of next riders waiting at the airgates telling them to take their items out of their pocket and place them on the bins on the other side of the train? How hard would it be to put bins in the station and take the staff you're already allocating to look for phones on people in the queue and just have them do that same job in the station?

And I'm only suggesting this because I'VE SEEN IT DONE AT OTHER PARKS AND IT TOTALLY WORKS!!!!

It gets the same end result and is a lesser annoyance to your guests.

This makes even less sense. If you're going to dedicate budget to have staff wander through the switchbacks looking for phones, why can't you dedicate staff on the platform going down the row of next riders waiting at the airgates telling them to take their items out of their pocket and place them on the bins on the other side of the train? How hard would it be to put bins in the station and take the staff you're already allocating to look for phones on people in the queue and just have them do that same job in the station?

And I'm only suggesting this because I'VE SEEN IT DONE AT OTHER PARKS AND IT TOTALLY WORKS!!!!

It gets the same end result and is a lesser annoyance to your guests.

This almost seems non-intuitive as the profit they are receiving from increased lockers is going away to pay for employees wandering the switchbacks. So, the park isn’t gaining any revenue from this (they are losing money if anything) and are lowering their guest satisfaction ratings. I think the BINS should just be re-installed. I think people would rather have slower dispatches than no phone for the entire 2-hour wait time for SV. It really amazes me how little planning Cedar Fair did before implementing this policy.

This almost seems non-intuitive as the profit they are receiving from increased fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo is going away to pay for employees wandering the switchbacks. So, the park isn’t gaining any revenue from this (they are losing money if anything)

Ohio minimum wage is $8.15. Even if they had 3 employees wandering switchbacks I guarantee you there will be more people buying those $10 roaming lockers than it will cost them employees. Trust me, the park isn't going to be doing anything at a loss.

I think people would rather have slower dispatches than no phone for the entire 2-hour wait time for SV.

If it was the difference of a 2 hour wait without my phone versus a two hour and 20 minute wait with my phone, I'll take the longer wait because I know that two hours without my phone WILL FEEL LIKE TWO WHOLE LONG HOURS, but with my phone, it will go by much faster.

I'll bet they sell more Fast Lane Plus passes now because of this new rule.

Edited by robbalvey

I like Universal's idea. Simply incorporate clear plastic sleeves that velco closed on wall in front of each seat for folks to drop their phones in after boarding and done. No bins to be added, no guests w/o their phones while waiting in line and item stays securely in bag while riding.

Don't know what the costs would be compared to adding bins, other solutions e.t.c. though.

Waterproof-mobile-bag.jpg.e7abb112ed6fb7d7495a69b9b7a4c18b.jpg

fullsizeoutput_90.jpeg.5399ae9c674624624a7d3b4b98dd8525.jpeg

I like Universal's idea. Simply incorporate clear plastic sleeves that velco closed on wall in front of each seat for folks to drop their phones in after boarding and done.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information but that's not what Universal does for their big roller coasters. In fact, what Universal does is even WORSE than this policy at Cedar Point and I'd like to hope that no park ever ever ever adopts what Universal does. I honestly don't go to Universal as often as I used to because of their insulting loose articles policy where everyone is treated like a criminal. In order to ride a coaster like Hulk, you have to go through TWO METAL DETECTORS at their park! One to get into their park. One to get in line for the roller coaster. Sorry, you've lost me as a customer at the second metal detector.

I like Universal's idea. Simply incorporate clear plastic sleeves that velco closed on wall in front of each seat for folks to drop their phones in after boarding and done. No bins to be added, no guests w/o their phones while waiting in line and item stays securely in bag while riding.

Don't know what the costs would be compared to adding bins, other solutions e.t.c. though.

Disney does this on rides as well(they use a netting, not clear plastic). It's a great idea, but I wonder how many people would forget things in them and return to retrieve it.

I like Universal's idea. Simply incorporate clear plastic sleeves that velco closed on wall in front of each seat for folks to drop their phones in after boarding and done.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information but that's not what Universal does for their big roller coasters. In fact, what Universal does is even WORSE than this policy at Cedar Point and I'd like to hope that no park ever ever ever adopts what Universal does. I honestly don't go to Universal as often as I used to because of their insulting loose articles policy where everyone is treated like a criminal. In order to ride a coaster like Hulk, you have to go through TWO METAL DETECTORS at their park! One to get into their park. One to get in line for the roller coaster. Sorry, you've lost me as a customer at the second metal detector.

I guess I was thinking only about Popeye & Bluto's waterproof center storage area, but I forgot about that annoying metal doctor business on the coasters.

Wouldn't this idea work for SV and TT though?

I honestly don't go to Universal as often as I used to because of their insulting loose articles policy where everyone is treated like a criminal. In order to ride a coaster like Hulk, you have to go through TWO METAL DETECTORS at their park! One to get into their park. One to get in line for the roller coaster. Sorry, you've lost me as a customer at the second metal detector.

My thoughts are exactly the same. I used to go to Universal every year or two, but haven't been in five years now because of that ridiculous policy.

I was excited to get back to CP this year to ride SV again now that FL+ has been back and it's been running multiple trains reliably, but now I doubt I will if this is how it's going to be. I have no problem paying to store my loose articles, but I'll give my business to another park that has an efficient system in place and doesn't need to "patrol" the line looking for contraband like you're waiting in the cafeteria line at the county jail.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

$10 for an access anywhere locker? Yes please. Will gladly use that and share with friends. What a great deal.

It's very exciting to read comments about how short lines are for ride outside of Frontier town.

Anyone want to share how many rides they racked up on Millennium during early entry?

The difference in loose article policies from one park to another never cease to amaze me. I mean at Magic Kingdom I once rode Space Mountain holding a bag of merchandise between my feet, a bag a bag of candy in one hand and my phone out in the other hand while eating candy on the ride, but I can't have a cell phone in a secured pocket at Cedar Point? Okay.....

Also, I mean isn't it a little strange to have this policy for 1 ride at the park but not the other 16 roller coasters?

This makes even less sense. If you're going to dedicate budget to have staff wander through the switchbacks looking for phones,.

I’m not sure they are necessarily dedicating more people to do this. I think when someone starts and finishes a shift they enter/exit the ride through the queue. Which is still pretty dumb. The last thing those employees want to do is walk through the queue after working the ride. So hopefully they have a better long term solution.

SFOT has zippered pockets secured on the backs of cars to put your cell, sunglasses, etc as well as bins on their big rides. As far as I know they don't have a problem with people using their cells on the rides. I would HATE to stand in a 2 hour line and not be able to entertain myself.

If someone wants to be an ass and use their cell on a ride make the penalty stiff. You're out for the rest of the season. And if you lose your cell, do a once a week sweep and if it's found you have to come back to the park to retrieve it, and you're out for the rest of the season.

I understand someone could get hit by a loose cellphone and that's the real reason for these rules though.

SFOT has zippered pockets secured on the backs of cars to put your cell, sunglasses, etc as well as bins on their big rides. As far as I know they don't have a problem with people using their cells on the rides. I would HATE to stand in a 2 hour line and not be able to entertain myself.

If someone wants to be an A$$ and use their cell on a ride make the penalty stiff. You're out for the rest of the season. And if you lose your cell, do a once a week sweep and if it's found you have to come back to the park to retrieve it, and you're out for the rest of the season.

I understand someone could get hit by a loose cellphone and that's the real reason for these rules though.

I think the only stiff penalty that would work is to press misdemeanor charges if it's actually a misedmeanor in the state that has these rules for parks.. Kicking folks out of the park for a year is likely not going to work at a place like CP. They never once asked for ID buying tickets, most parks I have been to don't ask for ID when buying season passes and tickets (unless bought online).. I know several parks I could tell them my name is Bob Noname and give them cash and they would print Bob Noname on my pass and be done with it. Six Flags parks use biometrics now but I'm not even sure they play close enough attention to those for it to block a guest for a year.

Please know, I'm not for stiff penalties at all.. I'm for parks finding a solution that works for everyone and can be enforced so stiffer policies aren't required

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Yea, guess the season long suspension would only work for pass holders. I was just thinking something that would scare/worry folks enough that it wouldn't be worth the risk of taking your cell out on a ride.

Maybe a "if you lose your cell on this ride, it's gone we won't look for it" rule would work?

Are there fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo inside the holding area for Early Entry (from the resort gate) so you can put your crap in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo before 9:00?

I never really paid attention.

It depends on how big they make the holding area. Sometimes it stretches from past witches wheel to at least the restrooms that are just south of Magnum. And then other days, like today, they hold you right at witches wheel and you can’t get on that main path until 9.

So to answer your question, they don’t have them in that immediate area. I think they took them out when they made that new entrance. But if you are there on a day when they decide to have the larger holding are I’m sure you could access the ones by Magnum’s entrance.

Well I guess my favorite ride at CP is back to Maverick after these last few pages. That sign a couple posts above just adds insult to injury, but Maverick still has the bins and it’s gaining some major respect in my books. I hope Cedar Point gets enough negative criticism to change this in a more creative way by next year, before becoming a Univerisal type phone communist

If someone wants to be an A$$ and use their cell on a ride make the penalty stiff. You're out for the rest of the season. And if you lose your cell, do a once a week sweep and if it's found you have to come back to the park to retrieve it, and you're out for the rest of the season.

I agree that the policies need to at least be consistently enforced to deter people. If someone knowingly pulls out their phone going up a lift hill, every warning they hear and see says they're subject to "ejection from the park without refund," so why aren't they? Too many times when someone pulls out their phone on a ride, it's just an E-stop, then the op walks up the lift hill to tell them to put it away or takes it for when they return. I was at Kings Island in April, and someone on Banshee lit up a cigarette while going up the lift hill. Other than the ride op walking up the lift hill to "scold" them and tell them to put it out, there were no other repercussions. If that's not grounds for getting kicked out, I don't know what is.

Well I guess my favorite ride at CP is back to Maverick after these last few pages. That sign a couple posts above just adds insult to injury, but Maverick still has the bins and it’s gaining some major respect in my books. I hope Cedar Point gets enough negative criticism to change this in a more creative way by next year, before becoming a Univerisal type phone communist

People rank coasters based on loose article policies now?