TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hey CP experts. I'm going to the park for the very first time on Friday, July 20. I have no idea what kind of lines to expect at the coasters. I'm hoping someone can give me advice. I know a lot is weather dependent, so let's assume no rain and average temps.

My kids are not big enough for some of the coasters, and I don't want to overdo it and wear everyone out. So my plan is to do Blue Streak, Gemini, and Magnum before lunch at Chik Fil A, and Cedar Creek, Iron Dragon, and Millenium Force after lunch, with a few flats and a train ride thrown in there. Is this all pretty much do-able by about 4 PM?

Edited to add: I don't plan on buying the Fast Lane.

^ Probably. Wait times have been low lately aside from Steel Vengeance, Raptor (early), Valravn occasionally and Maverick.

Ugh. Everytime we plan a trip to the park the wind is crazy. Hoping that 18 mph winds aren’t enough to keep Steel Vengeance down tomorrow. Any of you guys seen what winds take it down? (Already anticipating Dragster not opening)

The gusts don’t seem crazy and wind will subside as the day goes on. Sky Ride and Windseeker are likely a no-go but you may get lucky with the coasters. They seem to have found their balls with Gatekeeper and Raptor lately. Dragster will likely operate on and off but I mean... what else is new?

I don’t know what the SV wind limit is but I doubt they’ll come close to hitting it. It seems to close around the same time Millennium Force does so it’s pretty tolerant. Gatekeeper, Raptor and Dragster are really the only ones to worry about unless they totally blow the forecast.

Does anyone have any idea of what the long term intentions of scanning your FL+ pass may be? KI hasn't jumped on that band wagon, yet.

Being a 4G63T and 4B11T fan this page has been a hard one to read

Hahaha! Well played. My interest in cars is like my interest in roller coasters. I appreciate all of them for what they are, except I don't care about exotics I'll never own. I always wanted to own an evo, but I have too much of a soft spot for the unreliable EJ boxer rumble secured in an ugly obnoxious looking STI. I love them, but no... I don't vape...

Edited by prozach626

I've never been to Halloweekends before, but am planning on going this year. What are the crowd levels I should expect on the Friday and Sunday of the first weekend?

Not terrible, but note that there’s limited ride availability on Friday and they probably won’t have any staff whatsoever for the event

Does anyone have any idea of what the long term intentions of scanning your FL+ pass may be? KI hasn't jumped on that band wagon, yet.

Data (metrics). They are tracking data about the usage of FP+ and your visit to help them understand run their business better in the future. After this year they will have data on how much FP+ sales and usage is affected by adding a big new coaster attraction with SV. Then they can compare it to Valravn numbers two years prior to learn more about their business and how FP+ is affected. That is just one example. They will break down this data in many ways and apply it to running their business better to be more efficient and profitable.

^ Sunday the first weekend of halloweekends ALWAYS has light crowds for the rides (and the lightest you'll ever find for the houses). By 2:00 (and probably sooner) all the rides in the front are always a walk-on. We usually do all the rides and all the houses by 5pm or so. We do it every year. One of the best times to go and you get the bonus of the houses without experiencing the craziness of the Saturdays at the park. A lot of the houses we just went through by ourselves because there was no wait. It's awesome. -- I can't speak for Friday nights as I've never been. Also: Steel Vengeance can always alter crowds in the back at the beginning of the day, so it's hard to say where you should start this year. We always come for early entry so that is a factor in our timing too.

Having not followed CP news lately, is Steel Vengeance running 3 trains? If not, is it going to happen?

Latest reports are that all three trains are cycling through, but only two at a time.

No one can predict the future. I can guarantee you that this thread will jump 10 pages whenever/ifever it does start running 3 trains simultaneously.

I've never been to Halloweekends before, but am planning on going this year. What are the crowd levels I should expect on the Friday and Sunday of the first weekend?

Staffing is a major issue at food places but the park is so dead both days that you'll have no issues riding. Expect longer lines at food places than at most coasters.

^ it was I who said I’ve never been able to get others in for early entry on the Carowinds thread.

I’ve actually never tried, I emailed CP and their response was that nobody under any circumstances is allowed in early that isn’t a pass holder themselves or didn’t stay at one of the hotels. So I’ve been following the rules and just show up at 10.

But obviously they’re letting everyone in at the resort entrance. And while there is s holding area right in front of the Enterprise, they have never asked to show a pass or anything like they do at the front. So the next time I go with people who just have regular tickets we are all getting in early.

Interesting... Because I've literally never had any issue with it for years, including at the front entrance as recently as two years ago. Methinks it's just not something that they are so dogmatic about, that they are going to stop everybody who is a part a group, when the "group leader" has the pass and shows it.

On the Early entry topic, Over the last few years if you just went to the back get they would let you in. I would see people just buy tickets and walk right in with out showing resort guest. Last year at the start of the season they back parking lot was not open till 10 so that helped crack down on that.

I've entered at the back entrance multiple times this season, and the Cedar Point Shores parking lot has been open every time. The only lot that is closed off now, is the small lot I used to always park in, that's right next to Gemini. Additionally, myself, and my sister, purchased SP Bring a Friend tickets for our siblings at the "Resort Entrance" no problem. Maybe they did things differently last year, but it appears they've changed it this season, likely because of SV, and knowing entering back there would be popular, and convenient. Practically speaking, it helps distribute crowds better, and lessens the number of people making a mad rush from the front of the park for SV.

Expect longer lines at food places than at most coasters.

Our easy remedy for this would be to pack a lunch in a cooler and head to the thirsty pony for dinner. Problem solved!

Everything's set for my first trip to Cedar Point next month. Using frequent flier miles, so I could afford Breakers. Will 3.5 days in early August (Thu night, Fri-Sun) be overkill? I just want to be safe against weather and crowds.

3.5 days will be great for your first time. CP was always a 2-day park for me back when the big 4 were MF, Magnum, Raptor, and Mantis. I go once every 2-3 years now and it dawned on me last month that 2 days no longer feels like enough given how many more rides have been added since my first visit in 2000, plus the general improvements in park atmosphere/entertainment and all the quality dining options that have been added over the last 5+ years. I think I'll be doing 3 days per visit myself going forward.

It seems like a ton of people stay at the park for two days. I'll say that another good thing about Coaster Campout is that your two day trip feels like one incredibly long extended day. It makes for a really neat experience. Count on being absolutely exhausted when you hit the sheets at the end of it all. There's a pretty good chance we'll be going back next year. I'll echo again that I think more of you guys should consider it.

3.5 days should definitely be plenty of time to experience the park, especially if you're staying in Breakers. Staying in Breakers means you will have early-entry access, and the park closes at midnight on Fridays and Saturdays in early August.

Was at the park the last 2 days. The Fire and Ice taste tour is well worth checking out. Its a lot like Brew and BBQ minus the beer. I will post some pictures later.

On to Steel Vengeance. Any one else's thighs hurt after riding it?

It is still running 2 trains but the way they are running them I can't see it running 3 trains. They never let a train leave the station til the other is on the brake run.

Northern Californian heading to CP for the first time this Thursday to Saturday night. Will arrive at Breakers around 8pm and park is open til 11. Have all day Friday, then get a Lyft back to Cleveland airport at 4pm Saturday.

We plan on getting Fastlane Plus for Friday- should I get this online or day of at the park? Price difference? Any guidance would be great.

The idea is to get a lay of the land Thursday night from 8-11pm then do early entry Friday morning (we also have Platinum passes). Again early entry Saturday morning.

Any tips and tricks given our circumstances are absolutely appreciated. Been looking forward to experiencing this park for YEARS! The day is almost here

Also any good floors/rooms etc to stay on at Breakers? We got an email asking if we wanted to upgrade to floor one.

We assume FL+ doesn't apply to the water park too?

I don't believe I've posted since I visit the park. Steel Vengeance is absolutely the best ride I've ever ridden. It's on another level entirely, especially in the back. Everyone says the second row is equally as good, and that's true for the first half of the coaster, but overall, the back is the way to go.

I'm not even sure what my favorite elements are.. I love the first two airtime hills, I love the extra little turn out of the first inversion, the entire second inversion is great, the pop of airtime going into the brake run (especially in the front), the drop into the structure, the wave turn in the structure (especially at night). Cedar Point and RMC knocked it out of the park.

On to Steel Vengeance. Any one else's thighs hurt after riding it?

It is still running 2 trains but the way they are running them I can't see it running 3 trains. They never let a train leave the station til the other is on the brake run.

This is clearly not the way the ride was designed to operate. Once whatever bugs are worked out of the blocking system or whatever is going on, they’ll be able to dispatch the trains sooner and the third train wil most definitely come in handy. Whether or not this will happen in 2018 another story.

I finally got to ride Steel Vengeance today and got to experience two rides towards the front (Rows 2 and 3) and one second from last seat (Row 11). Amazing ride! First time I've ridden an RMC and now I understand why so many people love them.

Favorite parts are the out of your seat first drop, the outside banked turn, and that hill after the mid course that does a slight turn to the right then drops with a jolt to the left and into the wood structure under the lift.

Despite running two trains today (Blackjack and Digger) I didn't think the dispatching was all that bad. Sure it would have been nice to see Chess running but I think they did a good job.

Domm:

You said you had Platinum passes. If you decide to buy FL+ you will save $25 per person this upcoming Friday with the Platinum discount that is only available at the park. You get FL+ for the price of regular Fast Lane. It's a huge money saver, so definitely wait until the day-of. Cedar Point is the only park in the chain that offers this discount.

One thing I did notice yesterday at the park was that you can't park at Famous Daves anymore. Only marina pass holders can park there now. I wanted to go to the Marina Store on my way out to grab some Shandy Shores beer. I was told by a park employee it was one of the only places to buy it.

I did end up finding it at a grocery store in Vermilion on my way home.