TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

LOL I rode back left on Gatekeeper this past weekend and god that ride is just fun. FUN. I really feel bad for people in the hobby that can't enjoy it because it isn't thrilling enough for them at this stage of their lives.

Imagine the perception of that ride if it were at, I dunno, Elitch Gardens. Or Worlds of Fun.

That's exactly why we loved it too. It's like a good flyer, floaty, a little forceful, and fun. Makes you want to hold your arms out to the sides and make a jet noise while you're riding it. Zooooooom!!!

Not sure if it was the specific train I was on back on June 3rd, but rode in very back right seat and felt "terrible" vibration throughout the entire circuit. Tried to re-ride in middle left and felt same thing so not sure where some folks are getting that this ride is smooth.

IIR, it was running smooth opening year but I have been riding every year since opened and this is the first year I noticed the vibration.

GateKeeper is my least favorite wing coaster but it's still a wing coaster and I doubt there's a "bad" one out there. Rattliness or forcelessness or whatever enthusiast jargon we can throw around to describe it really doesn't do it justice as an experience because there's just so much more to it. I rode in 2016 and my only nitpicky complaint

I can remember was the tightening restraints, but overall it's still a very fun ride in a fantastic location that looks amazing as the front gate...keeper. I just prefer the others for various reasons.

I ride GateKeeper in the back, or near the back, 9 of 10 times, so maybe that's why I enjoy it so much. It's definitely the best place to ride the coaster (especially on the left side!) However, I ride it in front from time to time, still enjoy it, and feel ACTUAL forces... You know, like every roller coaster has. Soaring through those keyholes, and experiencing the ride with nothing in front of you is fun in the front too! Certainly not boring, at least to me, or virtually everybody I've ridden it with who isn't an enthusiast... *shrugs*
I perferthe front on Gate Keeper. It is an enjoyable ride wherever you sit, but I really liked the front left wing.

GateKeeper is my least favorite wing coaster but it's still a wing coaster and I doubt there's a "bad" one out there. Rattliness or forcelessness or whatever enthusiast jargon we can throw around to describe it really doesn't do it justice as an experience because there's just so much more to it. I rode in 2016 and my only nitpicky complaint

I can remember was the tightening restraints, but overall it's still a very fun ride in a fantastic location that looks amazing as the front gate...keeper. I just prefer the others for various reasons.

I found it to be about the same in terms of enjoyment as X-Flight at Six Flags Great America. I think X-Flight has better near miss elements, but I found the views and overall ride on Gate Keeper very enjoyable. With that said I think Thunderbird is better than either of them. It is the complete package less no wing over drop. I should get around to riding Wild Eagle later this summer. I would expect it to be in the range of Gate Keeper or X Flight,

Thunderbird is my favorite because of the launch, location in the woods, and well-paced layout. X-Flight is barely underneath it with a slightly longer-feeling ride and equally well-paced layout, but not as good of a location. Wild Eagle has the best location and I love the hypercoaster-style drop, but the layout isn't quite as solid as the other two. GateKeeper has a good location on the beach but it doesn't quite interact with the terrain like Thunderbird or Wild Eagle (obviously it can't), it's longer but the pacing feels a little more element-oriented and less focus on those fun banked turns that make wing coasters different from other B&Ms. It's still very very fun but it feels a little more more like a series of elements than a comprehensive layout. Probably just me though

I guess Blue Streak is just a risk / reward thing with me....I just haven’t bothered riding it again because (this may be blasphemous) I um... just don’t think it’s that good anyway. It’s just “okay” even on its best day and it’s in the same park as some of the best coasters in the world.

I haven't ridden it in a few years, but that's about how I remember it. At the time, I felt it was somewhat overrated, since it was very well-liked, not just for nostalgic reasons but for its ride quality, which I found to be "good" but underwhelming. I haven't said anything recently since it's clear from a number of vociferously negative reviews that it's gotten a lot rougher, so my memories aren't of the same Blue Streak that folks are panning now.

Oh, and since we're doing this again too: I'm basically straight down the middle when it comes to Wing Coasters. They're not forceless. They're kinda fun and worth a few rides. But I don't really consider them intense, and they're among neither my favorite coasters nor my favorite B&Ms.

Somebody said it above, and I'll echo it again here: GateKeeper is FUN! While I can admit it's not the MOST forceful coaster out there, it's just plain fun to me, and that's why it's one of my favorite coasters at CP, and arguably my most frequently ridden these days (due to doubling up every ride, and short lines, mostly!) The #1 reason I ride a roller coaster is to have fun on it, and GK definitely delivers for me in that department!

Upon checking out CP Food Blog to take some notes on Cedar Fair/Point's dining options, I thought I struck gold.

Last year CP introduced this re-fillable cocktail drink cup at the Surf Lounge.

Immediate question: Where the f*** is Surf Lounge.

A) It's in Hotel Breakers.

Hm, okay so you can only use it outside of the park. Or at least, I am not sure they'd let you bring it into the park. I think it's likely, since it's bought on CP property and they are very liberal about you drinking beer/cocktails anywhere except on an actual ride

Alright, what's it cost?

$24.99 for the cup and your first drink and $10 for a refill - only the cocktails at the bar.

How much are cocktails usually? $10-$12

Alright you lost me I mean, you'd have to drink almost 100 of them to retain any savings since you'd only be saving 50 cents or so per drink. Wouldn't be for me anyways since I prefer a beer or bourbon, not any of the mixed drinks they offer. Not bad options though! They don't give you sh*t booze, which I thought would be the case.

If you're all about souveniers, penny pinching, and fruity drinks this could be for you! I looked all over CP's website and couldn't find anything on it. Has anyone noticed this?

Drinks available:

The Summer Spectacular (Absolut, Tanqueray, Bacardi Silver, Triple Sec, Lemonade, Strawberry Daiquiri Mix)(320 calories)

Tropical Lake Erie (Absolut Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Malibu Coconut Rum, Cranberry and Pineapple Juice)(260 calories)

Roarin’ Riptide Punch (Absolut Mandrin, Malibu Rum, Blue Curacao, Lemonade, Sprite, Mint)(380 calories)

Sox on the Beach (Absolut Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Orange and Cranberry Juice)(280 calories)

Steel Vengeance (Absolut Vodka, Melon Liqueur, Creme de Cassis, Pineapple Juice)(210 calories)

Long Island Iced Tea (Absolut Vodka, Bacardi Rum, Tanqueray Gin, Triple Sec, Sour Mix, Splash of Coke)(380 calories)

Blueberry Mojito (Blueberries, Lime Juice, Mint Leaves, Simple Syrup, Bacardi Rum, Club Soda)(320 calories)

Strawberry Basil Lemonade (Absolut Vodka, Lemonade, Chopped Basil Leaves and Strawberries, Garnish of Lemon, Strawberry)(180 calories)

170621-Cedar-Point-Surf-Lounge-Refillable-Cup-5.thumb.jpg.f27213ecd0e86cceee90daad89a98d4c.jpg

Credit: CP Food Blog.

$25 to buy, $10 to refill. Only fruity mixed drinks!

Calories listed next to alcoholic beverages just makes me sad, like I know this isn't good for me you don't have rub it in!

Steel Vengeance is good for you. ...ish

I'll have the Steel Vengeance, but hold the Melon Liqueur, Creme de Cassis, and Pineapple Juice, and would it be possible to substitute the Absolute for Makers Mark?

Calories listed next to alcoholic beverages just makes me sad, like I know this isn't good for me you don't have rub it in!

Amen to that. Park cheat days and cheat nights are dampened by these damned numbers. We're really health conscious so I can't say that the disclosed calories haven't made us make better choices even on our cheat days. Not long ago we went out for steak and beers and we were trying to choose an appetizer. When you see a delicious treat like a blooming onion listed at 3,000 calories vs. another delicious treat like fried pickles listed at 800 calories it's an easy decision. Except you really wanted that fffking blooming onion. It's a double edged sword. Screw you, Texas Roadhouse and screw you, Cedar Point.

I wonder if there are two servings per drink, though. The calorie count seems pretty low. Ether way, calories on alcohol are deceptively funny, due to the way alcohol metabolizes quickly into fat. Straight shots of booze aren't much different from a glass of sugar water. I guess every little bit counts.

Ether way, calories on alcohol are deceptively funny, due to the way alcohol metabolizes quickly into fat. Straight shots of booze aren't much different from a glass of sugar water. I guess every little bit counts.

So that's been my problem all these years...... explains a lot .

When you see a delicious treat like a blooming onion listed at 3,000 calories vs. another delicious treat like fried pickles listed at 800 calories it's an easy decision.

You used the incorrect adjective to describe pickles... Never even an option hahaha

Jizzman, your post had me on the edge of my seat with suspense. You had me at:
re-fillable cocktail drink cup

But then, soon after...

Alright you lost me

CP loves roller coasters so much that they wanted to give you the thrill of one when potentially buying into this, haha.

I wasn't about to let anyone get all wrapped up in the "unlimited" part without knowing that you're $10-15 lost immediately upon buying

^ just a guess but normally cocktails come in smaller cups so maybe the $11-$12 full price cups are smaller than the souvenir? *shrug*

I dunno.. looks about the same size as the glasses already used at Surf Lounge, no?

IMG_1781.thumb.JPG.5d4d1d7c56e1964e7de9104ab6021beb.JPG

IMG_1783.thumb.JPG.05c5056c924b056709ecdffbed8ebf7f.JPG