TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Yeah, that's kind of been my thought on that topic for a few years now. I rode the Boomerang at Darien Lake this past weekend and thought it was perfectly fine, a little bumby in a few transitions but otherwise smooth enough to totally enjoy it yet I'm sure most these days would deem it almost un-rideable. I honestly can't remember the last coaster I rode that I considered to be so "rough" that I wouldn't ride it again, maybe Gwazi right before they closed it down? Maybe Cannonball Run in Gulf Shores, that was pretty brutal but understandable for a seasonal wooden coaster at a waterpark near the beach (I still rode it 3 or 4 times haha).

Heck, people were complaining about Mine Blower like a week after it opened when that ride was totally fine.

There actually has been one coaster that I have experienced that was “too rough” to ride it again. The Predator at Darien Lake has been absolutely awful for these past few years now. I ride it last year in the back seat (I still don’t know why I made that mistake) and I got off feeling like a rib popped out. I go to the park quite a few times each year, including this year, and I still haven’t been on it since that terrible ride last May. Rides that are so rough to the point where they are “in-rideable” do exist, but aren’t actually very common. Out of all the coasters I have been on, Predator is the only coaster I have deemed as “in-rideable”.

Haha, I rode Predator 3 days ago and thought it was perfectly fine, the front had some decent air and was actually a really fun ride. Took like 5 rides all over the train and totally enjoyed all of them.

Maybe I caught it on a good day with an empty train or something, but point is that it seems like these days anything that isn't perfectly smooth and comfortable someone will have a problem with.

Gwazi in its final year of operation is the only coaster I swore I'd never ride again unless they did some serious work to it. I'm happy to ride anything else a few times and give it a chance, but if a marginal coaster is in a park with a bunch of great coasters and I only have limited time in the park I'm going to be looping the great coasters and ignoring the crummy ones. That's why I rode Mine Blower like 15 times and never lined up for the other crappy coasters at Fun Spot.

I've not ridden Blue Streak a ton. I have one ride somewhere in the middle of the train in a wheel seat that did throw you around a bit. However, my other rides have been in Car 1 row 2 and up there I think it is rather smooth and the ride is phenomenal up there. Definitely my favorite out-and-back and loaded with airtime.

Also, Magnum is just a laugh fest and I love it.

I don't know, she wasn't really a fan of most of the coasters.

TajahMF.jpg

This is absolutely amazing. Thank you for sharing this beautiful image. I am sad that she wasn’t a fan of most of the coasters. Maybe next time? At least she was brave enough to ride front row!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: Apparently I need to ride this thing again.

I mean, I’m with you on Rougarou. If you think any floorless coaster is rough then you’re a bitch. Even Patriot is rideable, it’s just that the layout sucks so I mean... why?

I guess Blue Streak is just a risk / reward thing with me. We usually rode it and thought it was fine, our last ride sucked but that can happen on any wood coaster. I just haven’t bothered riding it again because (this may be blasphemous) I um... just don’t think it’s that good anyway. It’s just “okay” even on its best day and it’s in the same park as some of the best coasters in the world.

This is probably more what I was trying to convey. I've been on rougher, and it's not like I am one of the people who complains about rides being rough typically. When people say that any B&M in any way is too rough for them, I find it almost laughable. I'm a big fan of some rides people consider too rough to ride, like The Boss. But when there are so many other options, there are better places to spend my time at CP than riding a mediocre, uncomfortable coaster.

Haha, I rode Predator 3 days ago and thought it was perfectly fine, the front had some decent air and was actually a really fun ride. Took like 5 rides all over the train and totally enjoyed all of them.

Maybe I caught it on a good day with an empty train or something, but point is that it seems like these days anything that isn't perfectly smooth and comfortable someone will have a problem with.

I heard Predator had a major retracting this year, which is why it was closed for the first few weeks of the season. I should try it again this year. I have heard a few better things about it this year compared to past years.

Haha!

I'm working on the first installment right now, and I'll definitely do a Tajah riding something with every post because it's fun to play with that kind of thing in Photoshop.

YESSSSSSSS!!! Day made!

Also I am loving how there are two different conversations happening in this forum. 1 about cats and the other....well not about cats!

Am I the only one here who still loves blue streak? Well, at least if I stay out of the third row of a car?

I love it as well.

Nothing spectacular, ya know what to expect but its a fun, usually air filled ride. I do avoid the absolute back row, where I usually ride woodens, and make sure to get a not wheel seat but yeah as of last year I still enjoyed it.

Edited by JJLehto

The primary difference with Blue Streak is that they've gone to the more durable but less forgiving padding in the seats; it's about as rough as Racer at KI (another ride with that padding), which is to say "I think everyone is a wimp". It isn't bouncing or shuffling at all. Speed is outstanding. I can even ride in wheel seats no problem.

Between this and people complaining about "B&M rattle" online, I'm starting to be convinced that the slide of "rough" is shifting so far over into the territory of "does something" that it's actually concerning for the future.

Same! I have noticed the exact same, the threshold for "rough" is getting lower it seems, and I've always been annoyed by people griping about the rattle, to the point of calling it rough or even it ruins the ride. Sad indeed

Thanks for all the tips!

Esp for confirming that even with early access, 2 rides is all you can expect from SV and then is filled all the rest of the day. I will end up caving and getting fast pass, even if the park ends up being not crowded. Sucks, but I want more than 2 rides on SV. Only good news is maybe I can get a cheap hotel and forego the hour early due to having fast pass.

Dumb question, the plus has no limits correct? Either on total number of rides or a number per certain?

I’ve said it before on here, Magnum in the past has been up and down for me. At the end of last season it was running very well. It didn’t matter what seat, and I didn’t need any seatbelt trick, it was just a good ride on it’s own.

But this year so far it’s been terrible. I’ve only been to the park 12 times with 30 different people and nobody liked it so far. so maybe it’s coincidence that it’s running bad just when I’m there, who knows, but I doubt it.

Interesting. Yeah, it certainly can be inconsistent but I'd say far more often than not I had good rides over bad, and a handful I've had the violent ejector, often to the point of needing to hold on. Maybe I've done the seatbelt trick without realizing it before, usually I tend to keep it a tad looser so chances are that's why I end up with the leg smashing airtime on Magnum

Sad to hear for you it's been running awful, hopefully this wont be the case for me. CP only had 2 actually bad rides for me, Corkscrew and Mean Streak, so Id hate for Magnum to fall.

Gatekeeper...last year I rode it front row at like 6 am. I felt nothing, it was slow and boring, 0 force. But then later in back row I found it very enjoyable and had serious pull. Rode it two more times each good. So I dont know if it was the fact it was so early and hadnt warmed up, or being in front, or both, but lesson learned only back on Gatekeeper! If I get more of that experience, I'd say its top 5 at CP.

I ride GateKeeper in the back, or near the back, 9 of 10 times, so maybe that's why I enjoy it so much. It's definitely the best place to ride the coaster (especially on the left side!) However, I ride it in front from time to time, still enjoy it, and feel ACTUAL forces... You know, like every roller coaster has. Soaring through those keyholes, and experiencing the ride with nothing in front of you is fun in the front too! Certainly not boring, at least to me, or virtually everybody I've ridden it with who isn't an enthusiast... *shrugs*

Thanks for all the tips!

Esp for confirming that even with early access, 2 rides is all you can expect from SV and then is filled all the rest of the day. I will end up caving and getting fast pass, even if the park ends up being not crowded. Sucks, but I want more than 2 rides on SV. Only good news is maybe I can get a cheap hotel and forego the hour early due to having fast pass.

Dumb question, the plus has no limits correct? Either on total number of rides or a number per certain?

I’ve said it before on here, Magnum in the past has been up and down for me. At the end of last season it was running very well. It didn’t matter what seat, and I didn’t need any seatbelt trick, it was just a good ride on it’s own.

But this year so far it’s been terrible. I’ve only been to the park 12 times with 30 different people and nobody liked it so far. so maybe it’s coincidence that it’s running bad just when I’m there, who knows, but I doubt it.

Interesting. Yeah, it certainly can be inconsistent but I'd say far more often than not I had good rides over bad, and a handful I've had the violent ejector, often to the point of needing to hold on. Maybe I've done the seatbelt trick without realizing it before, usually I tend to keep it a tad looser so chances are that's why I end up with the leg smashing airtime on Magnum

Sad to hear for you it's been running awful, hopefully this wont be the case for me. CP only had 2 actually bad rides for me, Corkscrew and Mean Streak, so Id hate for Magnum to fall.

Gatekeeper...last year I rode it front row at like 6 am. I felt nothing, it was slow and boring, 0 force. But then later in back row I found it very enjoyable and had serious pull. Rode it two more times each good. So I dont know if it was the fact it was so early and hadnt warmed up, or being in front, or both, but lesson learned only back on Gatekeeper! If I get more of that experience, I'd say its top 5 at CP.

I love gatekeeper in the front or back on either side. My friend has actually greyed our on it before in the front on the ride and she’s an enthusiast.

Am I the only one here who still loves blue streak? Well, at least if I stay out of the third row of a car?

This is my favorite at the Point. I enjoy marathoning it! I only ride row 1 or 2. It's a winner every time...

LOL I rode back left on Gatekeeper this past weekend and god that ride is just fun. FUN. I really feel bad for people in the hobby that can't enjoy it because it isn't thrilling enough for them at this stage of their lives.

Imagine the perception of that ride if it were at, I dunno, Elitch Gardens. Or Worlds of Fun.

^ To the person that asked, there are no limits to the fast lane at Cedar Point. I'm wondering with the addition of the checkpoints at the turnstiles if that will change in the future at some point, hypothetically they could but I don't think we would see that unless they offered a cheaper one-time-use-per-ride option instead of the "full" fast lane. But let's hope that never happens.

I have a new found appreciation for GK. I've been riding it more recently and agree it is just fun.

It does a great job of showing that it doesn't have to be super thrilling to be fun. It's just a nice, smooth ride that to me is worth a lap or two every visit.