TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

You don’t have to be an armchair engineer to know that planks of wood literally falling off a coaster’s structure is not supposed to happen. Just saying.

And I’m a total 9-1 advocate, but there really is something to that 5-1 rumor on a warm summer night...

Do any of you guys know if row 5 on Millennium Force is the best row? I found a documentary on youtube and this guy said so. Usually I'm a back row guy.

Emily and I are not the type of people to typically analyze or car about which exact row we're in, outside of very front or very back. Millennium Force is our only exception so far. We like the second row from the back. It has less of a line from the very back seat and it seems less shaky compared to the very back row for some reason.

The turn between the first two inversions has the most movement on the ride. But it's also quite isolated from the connecting points, so the movement at the connection is minimal. Unless the ride was causing things to come loose or fracture, there isn't very much to be concerned about.

What's really odd, is that exact same section swayed when mean streak first opened years ago. I remember standing in line for mean streak looking at the structure sway and thinking about how safe it was.

The next season, the sway was gone from mean streaks structure.

Hey guys, question... does anyone know how much they charge for the "discount" tickets at the Express Hotel? I have it booked Sunday night for a park visit Sunday. From what I understand, you can stop at the hotel that morning before you even check in and get discount tickets, is that correct? I'm just wondering whether they're a better deal than what I can get online. I'm just looking for single day single park tickets. Would this also get me early access?

Thanks for any help!

Anyway, I’ll be in the front row line if you need me.

See ya there!

It's one of those rides that I was stuck in the back seat year over year, not wanting to wait the extra front seat queue. But then one year it all changed! What a rush.

Very close to making the trek and seeing lots of rain in the forecast during our visit. That won't stop me from riding, tho I've been weary about any sudden storms wanting to approach.

regardless, I'm stoked!

Very close to making the trek and seeing lots of rain in the forecast during our visit. That won't stop me from riding...

Um...do you know which park you're going to?

I just got back from a coaster trip a few days ago, during which I visited CP, Kennywood, and KI for the first time. I spent a couple of days at CP, one of those days being CoasterMania. I'll post a TR sometime in the next week, but for now, I'll just say I had a great time. I do believe this is my new favorite park.

thinking they have engineering degrees. Like you said, all we know it is fine and like you said it is not uncommon to see additional supports after it opens.

But I do have one...oh wait I didn't chime in and now I am untimely. I do think it's funny when people post videos of a structure deflecting under load and assume it's failing. Those people may not want to get in a

, car or tall building. That's not to say that sometimes engineers

From the engineering world I come from, sometimes from computer modelling (CAE) we get 'computer says yes'. Then we test physical parts and 'physical world says close, by try a little harder'. At that stage it's not so much about safety but more about longer term reliability. If they are changing or adding to the structure now it is likely that it is going to save them in the long run.

One things for sure: if the ride is running, there's nothing to be concerned about. Cedar Point takes safety on their coasters VERY seriously.

However, this is a retrofit.

Makes no difference.

The wood that was used on much of the existing structure is 27 years old. Weathered, in use for many years. Likely, the structural properties of that wood has changed from the “norm”. Unless they pulled out wood in use and had it tested to reinforce their calculations, they could only estimate per-say the properties given the material.

It would be pretty far fetched to think they ignored pulling out and testing the wood. They replaced any of it that needed replacing. If you look closely at the vast structure while waiting in line you can see very very random spots where new wood was replaced, where bolts were removed, re-drilled, re-fastened. Even in places where you wouldn't even think it mattered. It wouldn't surprise me if they inspected EVERY SINGLE PIECE of wood and bolt on the entire structure, seeing as they had 2 years for the retrofit. Not to mention I would bet the steel track has made the structure *stronger* rather than weaker. They practically took I-beams and permanently fastened the entire thing together.

Overbuilding is expensive and often unnecessary. Now that (at least it is assumed) the structure is deflecting more than anticipated, they will find ways to reinforce it from causing damage long-term, or worse, critical failure.

Not sure if they were always there, but there were definitely cables attached to the section of the structure where the first inversion starts to where it goes through the lift hill. That section was really swaying pretty good, but nothing that seemed out of the ordinary for a wooden supported coaster. One thing I'm not sure about with RMC's is if they weld the track after bolting it? That's one thing I can think of which would be a problem with so much flexing, you might see some welding cracks, and in that case they might be up on lifts getting those repaired. Or to check the gauge spacing between track pieces. I would not doubt that they track walk the entire structure 7 sections at a time throughout the entire 7 day week.

Again, nothing out of the ordinary. Used to be a mechanic at a couple theme parks, track walking and finding a weld crack to fix for a ride that's going to open the same day is really just par for the course.

Again, nothing out of the ordinary. Used to be a mechanic at a couple theme parks, track walking and finding a weld crack to fix for a ride that's going to open the same day is really just par for the course.

Exactly.

I also hear that CP is placing bamboo gardens strategically around Lighthouse Point for both aesthetic and

. Not sure how the bamboo structural additions will go with the wild west theme of Steel Vengeance though.

^ I can't speak for crucial parts, but I can tell you that as of this past Wednesday, Blackjack has yet to have the grab bars that the other 2 trains have. It also appeared that train was no where near ready for cycles.

I also say this, with the way they're operating that ride, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see 3 train operation this season. They're basically disregarding the MCBR and only using it has a trim. The screen that shows if the restraints are locked or not has a 85 second countdown clock on it and they will not dispatch a train until that clock hits 0 even though most of the time they're probably ready to go in 60-70 seconds.

^ I can't speak for crucial parts, but I can tell you that as of this past Wednesday, Blackjack has yet to have the grab bars that the other 2 trains have. It also appeared that train was no where near ready for cycles.

I also say this, with the way they're operating that ride, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see 3 train operation this season. They're basically disregarding the MCBR and only using it has a trim. The screen that shows if the restraints are locked or not has a 85 second countdown clock on it and they will not dispatch a train until that clock hits 0 even though most of the time they're probably ready to go in 60-70 seconds.

They have to wait for the previous train to stop on the brake run basically. The fact that they are ready for dispatch in 60 seconds futher supports the need for 3 train ops. The clock is timed to the previous train arriving back for the most part.

^ Oh I totally agree that it supports the argument for 3 train operation. For them to get to that point, they're gonna have to cycle the Blackjack train and then commission the train, and then they're gonna have to test 3 train operation. This all requires time and they're now entering the time of year where they're open until at least 10 p.m. until August. Do they really wanna take the ride down again for another couple of days to make it happen when they can operate the ride efficiently as it stands? To me, it seems better for them to wait until September/October when they have time to test or maybe even next year to try 3 train operation.

I'm not sure which advice is more valuable this year:

Get FL+

Plan your visit later in the season

Or, be like me, ignore that advice (based on almost 40 years of going to the park), and get 10 rides in total before June 2, with a minimal total combined waiting time for all of my rides by going when I know crowds will be low!

re: MF

It's fantastic in the back row.. but the "sweet seat" recommended to me, by TBPony, and she's absolutely correct:

2nd to last row, bay-side

perfection in that row. Once I tried it? it's the only seat I rode in for the rest of my visit

Absolutely! 2nd to last row is my go-to as well, and yes, bayside is the better side! Last row is great as well, but with the shorter wait, 2nd to last is my go-to!

re: MF

It's fantastic in the back row.. but the "sweet seat" recommended to me, by TBPony, and she's absolutely correct:

2nd to last row, bay-side

perfection in that row. Once I tried it? it's the only seat I rode in for the rest of my visit

Okay but if you keep telling people that, I won't be able to sneak in behind the 8-2 people who basically block the 9-2 line so no one ever waits for 9-1.

THIS! I love how that row is SO often overlooked, due to the bunch up for the 2nd to last car!

I was at the park all day and Steel Vengeance was operating all day with the exception of a 20 minute hiccup when the chain stopped."

Hmmm... My son was there Friday as well, and said he was in line for over an hour while it was broken down before finally giving up and leaving the line. So it went down for a significant time at some point in the day! (He said it was around Noon-ish.)

Do any of you guys know if row 5 on Millennium Force is the best row? I found a documentary on youtube and this guy said so. Usually I'm a back row guy.

Emily and I are not the type of people to typically analyze or car about which exact row we're in, outside of very front or very back. Millennium Force is our only exception so far. We like the second row from the back. It has less of a line from the very back seat and it seems less shaky compared to the very back row for some reason.

Millennium Force is spectacular in every seat. It’s the only coaster where people legitimately recommend basically every row on the train as the best.

Anyway, I’ll be in the front row line if you need me.

I love the front as well! But given it almost always carries an additional 30 minute wait (a full queue for the front), I usually pass to get more rides in the back!

There are a ton of Cedar Point reviews being done this year with Steel Vengeance. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in my review that would include the Run and Ride series over the weekend and Brews and BBQ this year.