TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I watched a test on the way out and there was no trimming at all, it was flying due to rain too.

Very good news, thanks for the updates! Very unfortunate for those that are visiting tomorrow, but this means that over the summer many more people will be able to ride.

Whether the MCBR is affecting the last half of the ride or not, I will say I am glad I got to ride without them on.

Why would CP go to the trouble of theming and naming three trains when they "allegedly" knew they'd just be using two trains. Why theme the third train if its only going to be used as part. This does not pass the logic test so it's bullshit.

Naming and theming 3 trains doesn't denounces the planned operations of a coaster. Twisted Colossus has 4 trains that were all themed with different colors, and still, only have ever run 3, and one of them is used for parts when needed. It's not THAT MUCH of an astronomical conclusion to see this happen at SteaVen.

Your logic test does not mean it's bullshit. And also, there's no reason for this ride to have 3 trains running. The Cedar Point ride ops do a fine job getting trains loaded and cleared, they even have a pretty unique restraint check that I haven't seen before which definitely helps with the efficiency.

They ran all 3 trains on opening day. They wouldn't have done that if they weren't all certified.

False. Not sure where you got that from.

Currently at the Frontiertown station and SV is currently testing with two trains. They’re not sending them too fast though. There are also spare breaks sitting on the ground next to the transfertrack.

They are probably both checking each train and meticulously adjusting the brakes, after each run. Are probably considering doing anything at this point to get it past 1 train operation as they know the crowds are coming, and they know how many people are gonna wanna ride this. I'd say this is a great sign that they'll have 2 trains up and running if all goes well as soon as they can get them going.

I don't think there was a time both 2 days I was at SteeVen where there wasn't a mechanic literally standing around just waiting for something to go wrong though. There's been a lot of work going on with this ride for the past couple weeks. Let's hope they get it figured out.

My dad talked with someone at guest relations recently and they told him SV will be down tomorrow. Probably making a push for CM.

Seriously?? Guess I’ve missed my chance then. Skipped it today to make use of my fast pass and was only planning to come in tomorrow first thing to ride SV before heading to Kings Island. Ah well, I’ll be back In another 22 years.

Did get to do Twisted Timbers at KD at the W/e and all those bunny hills were far too intense for me and not fun. Maybe SV isn’t for me anyway. I loved MF today, and though Intimidator felt faster I hated the quick changes of direction and way preferred MF’s focus on speed alone. What an awesome ride and we’ll worth the trip from the UK alone!

And also, there's no reason for this ride to have 3 trains running. The Cedar Point ride ops do a fine job getting trains loaded and cleared, they even have a pretty unique restraint check that I haven't seen before which definitely helps with the efficiency.

There are plenty of reasons for this ride to run 3 trains. It's Cedar Point... They need high capacity rides. This is one of the highest-attended seasonal parks in the country and as such, pushes for capacity in the designs of each ride as well as the actual operation. Just because the CP ops do a great job of loading trains doesn't mean it's running at a good capacity. If the ride can get 1200/hr with three trains, there's no reason to run it at a lower capacity in such a highly attended park. If the ops are quick with two trains, let them be quick with three.

The Cedar Point ride ops do a fine job getting trains loaded and cleared, they even have a pretty unique restraint check that I haven't seen before which definitely helps with the efficiency.

Could you describe the restraint check? Cedar Point always seems to know the best way to operate their rides, I'm curious how they do it differently than other parks with an RMC.

Just finished two days in the park. A few thoughts:

- Steel Vengeance is awesome! Yesterday I ran with the crowd and got on the first train of the day.

Today I ran a similar pace and waited a few rides for the front row. So worth it! Even better in first row. Really a wild and smooth ride! I agree with the advice given to me, start at the Magnum entrance and be ready to run at the end of the national anthem. It’s a little more than 1/4 mile, so pace yourself, but I recommend getting there as quick as possible since the line becomes 2 hours fast.

- Assuming you like these rides, I think the best route if you get in at 9 am opening and don’t care about front row Steel Vengeance is to do - SV, Maverick, MF, and Valvryn. I did these all before 10 am yesterday and then went right over to Top Thrill Dragster for opening and beat that line. You have to hustle a bit, but worth it if you want to get a lot of big stuff done quickly.

- Food lines were long and slow. A lot of places weren’t open and / or were understaffed (all the staff there was great I will say!). Would note that the available options for healthy food and ice cream were limited (yes I recognize those are contradictory foods).

- Wow. So many bugs. I didnt remember that being the case the last time I visited in 2010. Maybe it’s just the time of year...?

Just finished two days in the park. A few thoughts:

- Steel Vengeance is awesome! Yesterday I ran with the crowd and got on the first train of the day.

Today I ran a similar pace and waited a few rides for the front row. So worth it! Even better in first row. Really a wild and smooth ride! I agree with the advice given to me, start at the Magnum entrance and be ready to run at the end of the national anthem. It’s a little more than 1/4 mile, so pace yourself, but I recommend getting there as quick as possible since the line becomes 2 hours fast.

- Assuming you like these rides, I think the best route if you get in at 9 am opening and don’t care about front row Steel Vengeance is to do - SV, Maverick, MF, and Valvryn. I did these all before 10 am yesterday and then went right over to Top Thrill Dragster for opening and beat that line. You have to hustle a bit, but worth it if you want to get a lot of big stuff done quickly.

- Food lines were long and slow. A lot of places weren’t open and / or were understaffed (all the staff there was great I will say!). Would note that the available options for healthy food and ice cream were limited (yes I recognize those are contradictory foods).

- Wow. So many bugs. I didnt remember that being the case the last time I visited in 2010. Maybe it’s just the time of year...?

You are on the lake, of course you are going to see bugs..

The Cedar Point ride ops do a fine job getting trains loaded and cleared, they even have a pretty unique restraint check that I haven't seen before which definitely helps with the efficiency.

Could you describe the restraint check? Cedar Point always seems to know the best way to operate their rides, I'm curious how they do it differently than other parks with an RMC.

It isn't any different than other RMCs I've ridden, but they do hustle. I think SteVeUrkle is referring to the rider-facing screen in the station showing which restraints have been locked, which is also featured on Twisted Timbers.

And also, there's no reason for this ride to have 3 trains running. The Cedar Point ride ops do a fine job getting trains loaded and cleared, they even have a pretty unique restraint check that I haven't seen before which definitely helps with the efficiency.

It's Cedar Point... They need high capacity rides.

They already have high capacity rides. But this ride is quite different than the high capacity coasters that have 3 or more train operations at the park.

1) This is the first modern roller coaster they have refurbished that's old, and wasn't started from scratch. RMC and the park had to work with what they had. This is quite a bit different than B&M or Intamin flattening an entire area of the park and starting with a clean slate.

2) There was no room for an unload/transfer-to-loading and/or doubleloading station like Millennium and Maverick/TTD (respectively).

3) If they planned on running 3 trains, they would have probably done it on opening day with the huge crowds they had, or atleast it would have been seen testing a couple times running that way. It has never been seen doing 3 trains testing, and if they ain't doing it testing, they ain't doing it with people on board.

4) I get it, you're an enthusiast. High capacity rides give you a nice big coaster boner. I used to get them too. But consider: it is much more reasonable and practical for SteeVen to have 2 trains running with no stack, while also having a train sitting in the transfer if something goes wrong with the other two. As we know, RMC trains are quite finnicky. Having a fresh train ready to go if one goes down is better than running 3 trains, having one go down, and then quite possibly having another go down with no fresh backup. Because then the park is right back where they have been for the past 3-4 weeks at 1 train operations, with a full crowd, in the middle of summer.

It's NOT THAT BAD having one coming in to the final brake run with the other on the lift, and not stacking while the other one loads. YES, I agree, 3 trains would increase capacity by a little bit, but all things considered, with the ride dimensions and RMC train issues, it just make no sense running with 3 trains.

I'd bet the Cavs winning the Finals before I bet 3 train ops on SteeVe with passengers. And I want the Cavs to win.

They already have high capacity rides. But this ride is quite different than the high capacity coasters that have 3 or more train operations at the park.

1) This is the first modern roller coaster they have refurbished that's old, and wasn't started from scratch. RMC and the park had to work with what they had. This is quite a bit different than B&M or Intamin flattening an entire area of the park and starting with a clean slate.

2) There was no room for an unload/transfer-to-loading and/or doubleloading station like Millennium and Maverick/TTD (respectively).

3) If they planned on running 3 trains, they would have probably done it on opening day with the huge crowds they had, or atleast it would have been seen testing a couple times running that way. It has never been seen doing 3 trains testing, and if they ain't doing it testing, they ain't doing it with people on board.

4) I get it, you're an enthusiast. High capacity rides give you a nice big coaster boner. I used to get them too. But consider: it is much more reasonable and practical for SteeVen to have 2 trains running with no stack, while also having a train sitting in the transfer if something goes wrong with the other two. As we know, RMC trains are quite finnicky. Having a fresh train ready to go if one goes down is better than running 3 trains, having one go down, and then quite possibly having another go down with no fresh backup. Because then the park is right back where they have been for the past 3-4 weeks at 1 train operations, with a full crowd, in the middle of summer.

It's NOT THAT BAD having one coming in to the final brake run with the other on the lift, and not stacking while the other one loads. YES, I agree, 3 trains would increase capacity by a little bit, but all things considered, with the ride dimensions and RMC train issues, it just make no sense running with 3 trains.

I'd bet the Cavs winning the Finals before I bet 3 train ops on SteeVe with passengers. And I want the Cavs to win.

21aqbc.jpg

The 3rd train didn’t have enough cycles to operate with riders. It was designed and planned for 3 trains. I’m not sure where you get off thinking any of what you said was true.

1. Rougarou?

2. The ride has 5 blocks so it doesn’t need a unload station or duke load station. With that logic how does that explain Raptor, Gatekeeper, magnum(which has 4 blocks)

3. And just because you haven’t seen it run three doesn’t mean anything. Unless you work the ride or are apart of the team working on trying to fix the ride how do you know all this and trying to make it fact when it seems that all you’re doing is making assumptions based of your observations when you happen to be around the ride.

4.So what about all the other RMCs around the world that operate without spare trains and one of there units goes down or if two happen to go down ? What are the supposed to do. And capacity means a lot to the park and if they could even increase throughput even the slightest now that they have to work with IROC procedures they will.

I haven't bothered to jump into this conversation because it's too early for this sh*t, but the park didn't buy 3 trains so they could run 2 of them and have a backup. A regional park with a 6 month operating schedule isn't going to do that. Any ride at Cedar Point that has / had extra trains was designed to run all of them together and for whatever reason changed that later on.

PS: Maxair has opened for the season.

My favorite part is that they plan to have 3 trains and run 2 so when one breaks down they have an extra and can still run 2................. if they're running 3 and one breaks down......they're going to run 2......

I want to make sure I have this straight.

Cedar Point bought 3 trains for their new coaster, named all three trains, created characters for all three trains, created costumes for those characters which are represented by the three trains and put people in them to walk around Frontiertown, and have a pile of signage indicating that there are three characters for the three trains (including, but not limited to, the LOGO OF THE RIDE), and they have no intention and never had any intention of running three trains?

Really? Seriously?