TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

So anyone have any updates on this new Fast Lane system at the park?

It appears there are guests who say they have eliminated the employees from the merge points for FL and FL+ and now you simply scan your wrist band at the ride entrance and then again at the station. So if that's the case, won't regular folks in the queue get upset with you merging on front of them or did CP change/move all of the Fast Lane queue's to the exits. Seems confusing

So anyone have any updates on this new Fast Lane system at the park?

It appears there are guests who say they have eliminated the employees from the merge points for FL and FL+ and now you simply scan your wrist band at the ride entrance and then again at the station. So if that's the case, won't regular folks in the queue get upset with you merging on front of them or did CP change/move all of the Fast Lane queue's to the exits. Seems confusing

Was there all weekend and didn't experience that once. All merge points had employees controlling the flow.

^I also recall seeing the scanners, along with greeters, when I was there on opening day. I think there was a picture in this thread from a while back too.

Also the trim honestly doesn't look that bad and I feel like the ride will be just as good with the trim anyway, the hairtime might be of lesser strength but it will be there. Especially considering how fast and low to the ground the second half of that ride is.

Contrary to what most people would say, trimming on the MCBR to burn off a little energy would likely make the second half even more enjoyable for me. There is a point where things are just too "intense/wild" and not as enjoyable as it can be. I’d rather take ejector air (lol) over the ejector air^2 it currently has. In the video, the ride still has great pacing for the ending hops.

I would make a bet that moderate trimming becomes a norm to control speeds into the final brake regardless of how many trains are on the course. How much full time, obviously, is TBD.

Either way, non-issue... Trimmed or not, it still will be an epic ride regardless.

Cedar Point is not having a great start to the year at all. I thought Sandusky just updated the infrastructure not too long ago to prevent that sort of thing? I also like how the first reply to that tweet 8 minutes later is someone from ABC News asking if they can use her tweet...such vultures!

A car drove into a utility pole. I mean... what do you want from them?

We actually left yesterday around noon and saw them sweeping up debris from a concrete fence in the parking lot after a car plowed into that earlier. Nobody could drive at Cedar Point yesterday.

Ah, gotcha. I want people to not drive like morons, but we both know that's not happening any time soon. At least we have Tony to debunk any false claims regarding that generator.

I would highly recommend the reformatory for anyone into Shawshank, history, or ghost stories/hunts. I partook in a Viper rally there a few weeks ago and the place was awesome!

20180505_114020.thumb.jpg.199972ed4f8f825894f7e24c236ebc2c.jpg

For who ever asked about the line getting shorted for Steel vengeance. I got in to the park late on Saturday due to dropping my dog off, So i got back to the ride around 9:30 the sign said 3 hours, and they told ride ops told me it would be around 2.5 hours. I didn't want to wait at that time. After lunch i wanted to see how long the line was since the park seemed to be getting busy. The sign said it was an hour. This was around 1:30 or so. I was talking to the 3 ride ops out front they told me right now the line dies down in the afternoon due to everyone running to it first thing in the morning. I also asked about running 2 trains. They told me it is being worked on but they didn't have started date yet. This will all change in the next few weeks once they run more trains.

Who’s going to coastermania here? The weather is really looking bad for Friday’s event as of now. It could change but I’m getting worried. We won’t make the drive if the weather stays the way it is right now.

Who’s going to coastermania here? The weather is really looking bad for Friday’s event as of now. It could change but I’m getting worried. We won’t make the drive if the weather stays the way it is right now.

I looked into it, and the event itinerary, and I think it's still worth your time. From what I can tell, the rain doesn't really start until 10 AM when the park opens and stays that way for a few hours, so while I'm not going, it looks like the ERT sessions should be safe.

When in Columbus, one MUST eat at Schmidt's.

Quoted for emphasis. In case anyone missed it.

---

Also, today it looked like SV was entering the midcourse much faster than during preview week. I bet those trims only look hard because of the extra speed on the approach.

This won't be a very popular thing to say... but that final brake run looked a little too short from the get-go. With other incidents on short brake runs: Superman in New England years ago, Timberwolf way back - those 2 come to mind.

Would it be worth it to lengthen the break run, at the sacrifice of one or two of those last hops? I mean, in order to run 3 trains again.

This won't be a very popular thing to say... but that final brake run looked a little too short from the get-go. With other incidents on short brake runs: Superman in New England years ago, Timberwolf way back - those 2 come to mind.

Would it be worth it to lengthen the break run, at the sacrifice of one or two of those last hops? I mean, in order to run 3 trains again.

I thought the brake run to the station looked awfully short/tight to have all three trains on and give them some breathing room. I've wondered if extending the brake run a bit might happen down the road/during the off season if they feel the need for it.

Timber Wolf's accident wasn't because it had a short brake run. A train stopped in the first set of brakes and wouldn't move. The lift didn't stop the second train from going over the lift, so there was nothing to stop the train after it left the chain.

One coaster that had a minor collision early in its life was Texas Giant. It was raining when it happened and the train slid in the brakes a bit and hit the train in front of it. The odd thing about the brakes to the station on that ride was there was a big gap between the second train stopping point and the station, but very little room between the second train and the third train coming in behind it. After the incident, they moved the brakes forward for the second train (why it wasn't designed that way makes no sense) and added more brakes for the third train and even one in the valley before the brakes, to make sure the train would stop. Knowing about this made me wonder about the Steel Vengeance brake run.

So many engineers...

I am just stating observations I've made after nearly forty years of riding roller coasters and seeing things that didn't always work out for one reason or another. I don't claim be an engineer or to know more than engineers, but sometimes my guesses play out as I suspected. One of the most obvious mistakes I have seen and knew it wouldn't work was on Viper at Magic Mountain. I saw photos of the ride being built and the 180 degree turn after the first loop only had vertical supports. It looked really nice, but I knew from looking at it, it wasn't going to be enough. And it wasn't as they added a lot of extra support to that turn after the ride had been running for awhile.

As for Steel Vengeance, the brake run looks pretty tight from what I have seen online and will hopefully see in person in a few days. I would guess they are wishing they had a little more room to work with.

Here is a shot I took of the new Texas giants brake run last summer. It's quite a bit longer than steel vengeance.

And just to clarify, I was referring to the original version of Texas Giant when I mentioned the incident, but the new one has a brake run pretty similar to the original I believe.

Timber Wolf's accident wasn't because it had a short brake run. A train stopped in the first set of brakes and wouldn't move. The lift didn't stop the second train from going over the lift, so there was nothing to stop the train after it left the chain.

But I would think the idea is that a train shouldn't have to stop in the first set of brakes... to keep em clear for the 2nd train? If the brake shed was longer, a train can come in and pass a block, into another holding block. This is how the Blue Streak's system worked when I was on that ride... but that was in the all-manual days, with a backup relay system. If a train wasn't so far past the stopping point, the 2nd train wouldn't go over the lift.

The mid-course-brake-run-trim definitely hits, but does not look that bad on SteelVen. I will say the final brake run compared to Twisted Colossus or Texas Giant did seem short to me on my visit. I think a staging brake in the transfer track to allow a loaded train to wait for the train ahead of it to finish the mid-course would definitely help the ride with 3 train operations, but that's not going to happen. That Instagram post seems a bit exaggerated to me with the last half going too slow.

This is on the front page of Yahoo News. And. Omg. I can't.

I gave up after he referred to Millennium Force as Millennium Falcon.

If anyone wants to lose about 150 IQ points. Watch this and let me know if I missed anything.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/riders-stuck-roller-coaster-cedar-201429002.html

Wow. Who the hell decided to pay this guy to do stories? All they did was bite off some other persons twitt post, and dub it with some super dumb and annoying narrater.