TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Sorry to be the debbie downer, but unfortunately this doesn't look like your typical CP/midwest pop up storms. Remnants of hurricanes and tropical storms moving north can linger over multiple days. I hope that's not the case and Alberto shifts course so it all works out.

Just got back from a quick “pop in” to ride Steel Vengeance this morning. Followed coasterbill’s advice about using the boardwalk (which was a fantastic addition that many folks probably won’t even know about this season) to access the resort gate. His advice is spot on. When I got there, it was 8:55 and they only had one metal detector lane open. Thankfully, the line moved quickly and I was inside the park at 9:05. Arrived at Steel Vengenace at 9:10 by “walking briskly” and the line was already stated as being an hour. 65 minutes later due to two minor brake run issues, I was on. I have NO idea what the hell happened aside from me holding on for fear of being thrown from the train. The ride is so smooth, but it feels like it wants to eject you from your seat on every hill. Since this was my first RMC, I didn’t know what to expect. What I got was an unbelievably wild, extreme airtime-filled ride that I can’t wait to ride again. Unfortunately, the wait had grown to 3 hours when I exited (the sign goes up to 4 hours...)

The only other ride I rode was the Sky Ride from the Corkscrew end of the midway to the front of the park as these old legs had gotten pretty tired from moving so quickly to get to Steel Vengeance. And, Sky Ride has been a favorite of mine since I have been visiting the Point (1976 was my first visit I can remember).

Here’s hoping the park and RMC can get the kinks ironed out of SV as the park has a binaries hit on their hands.

Cedar Point is not having a great start to the year at all. I thought Sandusky just updated the infrastructure not too long ago to prevent that sort of thing? I also like how the first reply to that tweet 8 minutes later is someone from ABC News asking if they can use her tweet...such vultures!

Heading back in a couple weeks for my first time in 3 years, and looking for some advice. Unfortunately, we won't have early entry but will have FL+ but with the current state of SV that won't help us out very much. I'm just wondering for 10:00am entry, is speed-walking from the resort entrance still the best bet or at that point should I just wait a few hours to get in line and hit other rides in the meantime? Is there any, even slight, mid-afternoon or evening drop in queue times for it or not really?

do any of you guys ever go alone? i've tried to get my friends to go with me but none of them like rollercoasters, and i haven't been there since probably 2010 even though i only live an hour away. i just don't wanna look like a loser that shows up on rides all day alone lmao

Lots of people go to parks alone. Lots of people go to movies alone. The only person that notices or cares that you're there alone, is you. Everyone else is preoccupied with their own situation.

This. No one really cares if you go to an amusement park on your own. Plenty people do it all the time, including at amusement parks.

do any of you guys ever go alone?

Being there on my own with FL+ is like a fantasy of mine. No nagging family that need a drink/toilet half way through a queue (we walked past 3 to get to the entrance), no friends that spend 10 minutes at the ride entrance not sure if they can handle the ride (it's a Wave Swinger FFS)

do any of you guys ever go alone? i've tried to get my friends to go with me but none of them like rollercoasters, and i haven't been there since probably 2010 even though i only live an hour away. i just don't wanna look like a loser that shows up on rides all day alone lmao
The great thing about going alone is you get to do what you want, when you want. Going with friends and fmailhy is great as well, but everyone has an opinion and what they want to do. It depends on your mood which is better on a particular day.

If you're going alone, bring some earbuds and listen to some podcasts while waiting in line. Hell, if you have big enough (zipper) pockets, bring a small book or kindle to read. I go to my local park to chill all the time.

^Pretty much...fly in Fri night, grab rental car, stay at hotel near KI then Sat all day till close (night rides on Beast). Leave the park and head to Columbus hotel about an hour and 1/2 drive, then up early for the 2 hour drive to CP. Spend most of the day there with Fast Lane (+) and I usually grab a hotel anywhere south of Sandusky and head back down to Cincy the next morning to catch an afternoon flight home. Seems to go much smoother when you break up the drive times.

We are going in the opposite order. Flying into Cleveland and staying at Hotel Breakers. Full day at CP then next day sightseeing and drive down to a hotel near KI. Full day there then leave out from Cincinnati the next day. I'm just getting the 3hr drive out the way once!

I've gone alone to parks more often than not this year. I like it both ways. But there are tons of benefits to going alone, and for me, it's very therapeutic. You can reride to your heart's content, you don't have to worry about food, bathrooms or anybody's preferences. You get to do what you want to do. Plus you can seat hawk, and that'll save you time! Also nobody notices or cares that you're alone; but if you're feeling self conscious about it, don't be afraid to strike up friendly, no pressure conversation with people around you. It's really no big deal.

What can I expect at 9 am entry tomorrow? Is it like a stampede of people that are sprinting to Steel Vengeance? Do I need to be there at 8:30 to get a better spot for gate opening? Saw someone reference going into the park at 9 am sharp and still needing to wait an hour today

I'm just wondering for 10:00am entry, is speed-walking from the resort entrance still the best bet or at that point should I just wait a few hours to get in line and hit other rides in the meantime? Is there any, even slight, mid-afternoon or evening drop in queue times for it or not really?

Hi. Honestly there's no reason to speed walk back to SteelVen as the 9am early entry goers will already be there. I would definitely advise the resort entrance near Magnum, though. Unless the SteelVen line is open and you see trains cycling with people on it about every 5 minutes, I would not advise just standing at the entrance with a bunch of non-moving people. We did this on our early entry morning for about 20 minutes then bailed. If this becomes the case take advantage of the other short lines, and perhaps ride Maverick first, then loop around in the direction of Millenium, Valravn, Gatekeeper, TTD, and come back to SteelVen later in the day.

I noticed a drop in line length similar to how X2 has a drop off about mid-afternoon, 2pm-4pm. Around that time on both Monday and Tuesday the wait was about 60-75-90 minutes long, as compared to the 120 minute or longer wait that was there first thing in the morning. I'd say if you are in the queue section with the switchbacks, and there's only 1 or 2 rows of them full, your wait is about 90 minutes. Keep your fingers crossed the ride doesn't break down, and just be glad every time you hear the train on the lift (you can hear it pretty much anywhere in the queue) because that means the ride is still running lol.

It's been a while, but yes, I used to, and I might if I still had the time. I got sick of having to organize everyone to all go at once, sick of the bickering about what to ride, complaining about the lines, being hungry, needing to use the bathroom, blah blah blah.

However, I am quite the independent person who enjoys my time to myself and it's not awkward because I generally keep to myself and am not what you'd call a typical overboard enthusiast. In fact people usually talk to me before I talk to them. Also, going solo provides opportunities for single rider cuts from time to time, as well as re-rides and seat preferences (anytime I went solo ride-ops would pretty much let me sit wherever I wanted if I asked nicely, it can be a little different when you have more people with you).

This is on the front page of Yahoo News. And. Omg. I can't.

I gave up after he referred to Millennium Force as Millennium Falcon.

If anyone wants to lose about 150 IQ points. Watch this and let me know if I missed anything.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/riders-stuck-roller-coaster-cedar-201429002.html

What can I expect at 9 am entry tomorrow? Is it like a stampede of people that are sprinting to Steel Vengeance? Do I need to be there at 8:30 to get a better spot for gate opening? Saw someone reference going into the park at 9 am sharp and still needing to wait an hour today

My best advice is to follow the coasterbill plan he laid out a few pages back- use the new Boardwalk to be at the Resort Gate (near the waterpark) BEFORE 9:00 am. Get through metal detection and then be ready to move quickly once the park opens for early entry at 9. Running helps, but considering this is Ohio we're talking about, many who started out sprinting were almost dead about 2 minutes in. I was in the park at 9:05, moved at a brisk pace and still had an hour wait. Aside from 2 issues with the train getting stuck on the brake run, the crew was doing a good job of getting the trains out quickly.

Have fun and enjoy Steel Vengeance. It truly is insane!

^Pretty much...fly in Fri night, grab rental car, stay at hotel near KI then Sat all day till close (night rides on Beast). Leave the park and head to Columbus hotel about an hour and 1/2 drive, then up early for the 2 hour drive to CP. Spend most of the day there with Fast Lane (+) and I usually grab a hotel anywhere south of Sandusky and head back down to Cincy the next morning to catch an afternoon flight home. Seems to go much smoother when you break up the drive times.

We are going in the opposite order. Flying into Cleveland and staying at Hotel Breakers. Full day at CP then next day sightseeing and drive down to a hotel near KI. Full day there then leave out from Cincinnati the next day. I'm just getting the 3hr drive out the way once!

What sightseeing is there? Serious question, never been but am thinking of doing a weekend sometime

What sightseeing is there? Serious question, never been but am thinking of doing a weekend sometime

The prison from The Shawshank Redemption (and some other movies) is outside of Mansfield, OH and is more or less on the way from Cedar Point to Kings Island. I've driven by it a few times but never stopped, I'm sure the tours are interesting though.

2017-Reformatory-Front-1500x775.jpg

Ohio State Reformatory

https://www.mrps.org/

But other than that... yeah what Bill said.....

What sightseeing is there?

... mostly cows

^^Not to be rude, and while the Mansfield Reformatory is awesome, it's very out of the way from Point to KI. It's about halfway between Cleveland and Columbus on I-71. It's possible for a visit but it's probably a good 2-3 hours of driving out of the way between Point and KI.

There isn't much in the way of sightseeing between KI and Point. But the coolest thing is probably the National Air Force Museum and Wright Patterson Air Force base out side of Dayton, Ohio. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

^^Not to be rude, and while the Mansfield Reformatory is awesome, it's very out of the way from Point to KI. It's about halfway between Cleveland and Columbus on I-71. It's possible for a visit but it's probably a good 2-3 hours of driving out of the way between Point and KI.

There isn't much in the way of sightseeing between KI and Point. But the coolest thing is probably the National Air Force Museum and Wright Patterson Air Force base out side of Dayton, Ohio. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Wait what? 2-3 hours out of the way? The fastest route on google maps from KI to CP goes from 71 to 13 and which literally the road right by the place haha.