TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

SV with one train runs better than some Six Flags coasters with two trains

How so?

The SV crew turns trains around quickly (dispatches around 90 seconds), while some coasters at Six Flags parks have 10 minute dispatches

Oh come on. I've never seen a 10 minute dispatch at any Six Flags park, not even La Ronde (though it wasn't for lack of effort).

I can vouch for 10 minute dispatches at Six Flags parks. Granted it's ever only been twice. But it still happened. Once was at Six Flags St. Louis on Ninja with that stupid VR crap. The second one was at Six Flags America on Apocalypse. The ride operators were just standing around chit-chatting, and completely ignoring the ride. Once they finally got around to doing their job checking/clearing the train would take them a good 4-5 minutes. (Not exaggerating) The only reason I knew these two dispatches were 10+ minutes was because I ended up getting slightly annoyed and timed it just to see how badly they were sucking.

Also, I'm going to need Cedar Point to get camera 3 off of SV! I've wasted half my day watching that thing.

Oh wow it's actually running! Didn't see it yesterday or earlier. Right now I watched 6 Millennium trains go by before I finally saw a SV train peek out on the lift. Hopefully the line isn't too long because that was about 10-12 minutes of having the webcam up with only 1 train going by.

SV with one train runs better than some Six Flags coasters with two trains

How so?

The SV crew turns trains around quickly (dispatches around 90 seconds), while some coasters at Six Flags parks have 10 minute dispatches

Oh come on. I've never seen a 10 minute dispatch at any Six Flags park, not even La Ronde (though it wasn't for lack of effort).

I can vouch for 10 minute dispatches at Six Flags parks. Granted it's ever only been twice. But it still happened. Once was at Six Flags St. Louis on Ninja with that stupid VR crap. The second one was at Six Flags America on Apocalypse. The ride operators were just standing around chit-chatting, and completely ignoring the ride. Once they finally got around to doing their job checking/clearing the train would take them a good 4-5 minutes. (Not exaggerating) The only reason I knew these two dispatches were 10+ minutes was because I ended up getting slightly annoyed and timed it just to see how badly they were sucking.

Also, I'm going to need Cedar Point to get camera 3 off of SV! I've wasted half my day watching that thing.

So you are pointing out that a vr ride( notoriously known for slow operations) and a standup coaster(slow loading process) had slow operations? I've ran into crews playing on there cell phones at cedarpoint last season causing long Waits as well. It happens. Look who the parks have working for them. Teens making minimum wage.

Remember Mantis and the constant stacking of just 2 trains? We did the vr on iron dragon a few years back, and it took over 15 min for our train to be dispatched. Neither of those are necessarily the crews fault, it's just the nature of the process. Just pointing out that it happens at all park chains just like slow ride crews can and have. Six flags has really improved compared to what it used to be.

I am known to point out the good AND bad, regardless of what park it's at. I've pointed out negative things at all park chains, just like I've pointed out positive things at all park chains.There are a few people that have the attitude that the park can do no wrong regardless what it is. But that's cool, because I used to be the same way . Then I started traveling the world and got to see a lot of other parks in action. Cedarpoint is definitely "near" the top of the list when it comes to operations.

With that being said, I'm glad they got the coaster running, and we are looking forward to getting on it. May have to wait a few weeks untill they get the bugs worked out though. What sucks, is not being able to visit the park yet because of a recent surgery. Hopefully I'll get to the park next week sometime if I get cleared to do so.

Anyone have details on this?

Haven't waited more than a half hour for anything (though I'm guessing SV is longer than that now that it's not early entry)

I read that one day they didn't have it ready and opened Magnum instead, but is it true the last few days it wasn't running at all for early entry? It's still listed on the website, so that's why I'm wondering. I know it's probably a crapshoot, but is it just consistently not ready, or is it really not available at all?

...Then I started traveling the world and got to see a lot of other parks in action. Cedarpoint is definitely "near" the top of the list when it comes to operations....

One of The Most Important Things he's said. Once you travel the world a bit, operations of a lot of U.S.

and Canada parks are pretty (edit) Awesome, in comparison to "the rest of the world."

My 5 cents. (no pennies any more, up here)

I can't stop watching the live video feed #3 either.

I'm bursting with excitement over here. Have a half day at work tomorrow, driving up to the point from Pittsburgh, staying at Lighthouse Point Friday and Saturday night, heading to the park on Saturday and Sunday!!

I believe my last trip was in 2009, so almost 10 years ago!

My family are staying at Lighthouse Point too this weekend! Sat looks like storms, but Sunday looks OK. Should be lighter crowds for a weekend. See ya there!

Rides with VR are naturally going to take longer, so if a dispatch goes long because you are visiting on a hot day where it could give the VR more trouble, that should be excluded if you are talking 7-10 minutes dispatch times. If you throw out technical VR issues, I doubt many dispatches over 5 minutes have occurred unless something is wrong with the ride.

As far as the cameras go, this is 2018 and it is Cedar Point. Bye more cameras and place them throughout the park. Then you can rotate what you actually show. It isn't that tough if you were to set it up prior to the start of the season .

I love going to CP and riding SV once, and Maverick twice, with only a half hour wait (all for SV) combined!

That station reminds me a lot of Ghostrider. Only two more weeks 'til I can see it in person.

It does give a Ghostrider station vibe. It just needs a video with the girl dragging the old guy into the ride, goofing on not bringing items onto the ride such as hats and jackets, and is the child tall enough, etc, etc

How busy is the park today?

Im on my way from chicago and almost there ))))) SV here I come

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

You're probably here by now, and don't need me to tell you this, but crowds are very minimal, as they typically are this time of year. Haven't waited more than a half hour for anything (though I'm guessing SV is longer than that now that it's not early entry), and have walked into the station on everything except MF (ramp wait), and Valravn. Of course, we rode Maverick at the end of Early Entry as well, so the walk up isn't probably indicative of how it's been most of the day! Lol.

TTD has stood for Tepid Thrill Downtime today, so I don't know if my two older kids will get their first ride on it today. Other than that though, most rides and coasters have operated, and operated well (aside from Corkscrew and maXair!) The food stands have been almost AWOL however, which is annoying when you have the All Day Dining Plan...

Still, it's a beautiful day, with little waiting, and lots of Cedar Point goodness! Can't wait to get another ride or two on Steel Vengeance later!

Your report is what I am hoping for on this Monday and Tuesday. I will take reasonible crowds on Sunday as well.

I'm bursting with excitement over here. Have a half day at work tomorrow, driving up to the point from Pittsburgh, staying at Lighthouse Point Friday and Saturday night, heading to the park on Saturday and Sunday!!

Looks like we'll both be getting rained on. Cross your fingers. I know I am. Emily and I are going to Coaster Campout, so I hope we don't have a soggy night.

The worst ops I've ever experienced were at Six Flags America about 10 or 11 years ago. I want to say it was like 7 minutes for one train to pull in and pull out. I only even remotely paid attention because of how bad it was, I think my GF at the time and I rode 2 rides and left.

Did you ever visit Mt.Olympus? Worst ride ops I've ever seen. Hades 360 only has one train and dispatch was once every 6-7 mins. Even on a quiet day wait times were close to 60 mins.

Looks like we'll both be getting rained on. Cross your fingers. I know I am. Emily and I are going to Coaster Campout, so I hope we don't have a soggy night.

Sunday seems to be looking a little better now, at least.

The worst ops I've ever experienced were at Six Flags America about 10 or 11 years ago. I want to say it was like 7 minutes for one train to pull in and pull out. I only even remotely paid attention because of how bad it was, I think my GF at the time and I rode 2 rides and left.

Did you ever visit Mt.Olympus? Worst ride ops I've ever seen. Hades 360 only has one train and dispatch was once every 6-7 mins. Even on a quiet day wait times were close to 60 mins.

I believe part of the challenge is they have to wait until they have a full train.

Damn. Tomorrow looks to be soggy all day long, with lightning throughout a good portion of the day. I would imagine I can expect a pretty dead park? Despite my constanf advocacy for FL+ I think it would be completely wasted tomorrow.

Damn. Tomorrow looks to be soggy all day long, with lightning throughout a good portion of the day. I would imagine I can expect a pretty dead park? Despite my constanf advocacy for FL+ I think it would be completely wasted tomorrow.

lSVg9kA.png

Accueather only shows storms in the middle of the day. I'm hoping that'll scare people off for the evening.

Fastlane money is never wasted. If you don't need Fastlane, it becomes beer money.

Tomorrow's forecast isn't great, but it's better than today. Today looks like a total sh*tshow at the park. Hopefully you get some nice pockets of weather tomorrow and the forecast keeps crowds low.

PS: The Chausee, the Cedar Point Marina Office, Marina Store and Famous Dave's have closed for the day due to high water and wind (along with tons of rides and coasters obviously). Steel Vengeance is finally operating though.

Fastlane money is never wasted. If you don't need Fastlane, it becomes beer money.

This is some glass half full thinking right there.

Tomorrow's forecast isn't great, but it's better than today. Today looks like a total sh*tshow at the park. Hopefully you get some nice pockets of weather tomorrow and the forecast keeps crowds low.

PS: The Chausee, the Cedar Point Marina Office, Marina Store and Famous Dave's have closed for the day due to high water and wind (along with tons of rides and coasters obviously). Steel Vengeance is finally operating though.

Yeah if someone is actually waiting 60 minutes for Corkscrew, they have issues....

With reference to the SV queue line, it's all new. Most of it's covered and they've peppered the surrounding area with some nice landscaping and mulch.

Anyone have details on this?

Haven't waited more than a half hour for anything (though I'm guessing SV is longer than that now that it's not early entry)

I read that one day they didn't have it ready and opened Magnum instead, but is it true the last few days it wasn't running at all for early entry? It's still listed on the website, so that's why I'm wondering. I know it's probably a crapshoot, but is it just consistently not ready, or is it really not available at all?

I should have put that as "it's not early entry time anymore", for more clarity. I was just saying that when I posted that, the wait times for SV were much longer, but it wasn't early entry anymore, like when I had the half hour wait. SV IS still available for early entry, at least when it's working. I walked into the park at around 9:10 yesterday, and didn't run or anything, and ended up getting there when the first few people who rode it were getting off, and back in line. And our wait at that point ended up being around half an hour (due to one train ops.) Given where we started in line, it wouldn't have been much more that 15, if that, with two train ops, and if they ever have three trains going? That line's going to fly! I went again at the very end of the day, and waited maybe 45 minutes, and again, that was with one train ops. Got on second to last ride of the day, with the sun setting over the Lake!

As for reliability, SV ran most of the day yesterday, at least that I saw. So yeah, it's definitely in operation! Still kicking abs and taking names, too! I will back off my comments earlier in this thread about the airtime hills at the end seeming more comfortable than LR or SC though... They were really bucking hard this time around, so I'm guessing I was just so euphoric last time, I didn't even notice how forceful they were!

Most of the coasters seemed to run well, all day, though Maverick did experience some downtime (not unusual for any day or month of the year), and TTD was also its usual unreliable (read: it operated maybe an hour all day?) self. It still was an absolute awesome day at Cedar Point, with beautiful weather, and mostly non-existent waits, and no real issues with staffing (besides the food locations), rides running, or any other issues people sometimes associate with going during this time of year! I look forward to my remaining 4 visits over the next month, and similar experiences, hopefully!

BTW, one comment about the CP app, since its wait times were brought up the other day in this thread... It's pretty much a joke! Almost nothing was accurate as to what the app was saying, with it saying things were closed that were literally running right in front of me, and the wait times were almost always shorter, sometimes WAY shorter, than what it was saying. So, if you're using that, or if the other site you're going to is using that, I wouldn't, because it was laughably inaccurate!

^ ah, gotcha. I just misread. Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I'll be up bright and early as planned to make it for early entry on SV on Sunday. Already rode once for preview night but haven't been back to the park since. Looking forward to riding everything else, too! 8) (and not so much being surrounded by a bunch of unshowered rats from coaster campout... please wear lots of deodorant... :-P)