TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I get all of the hubbub about wait times, etc. But, when it's time to ride I personally have zero time for phones, apps, and glasses; I even ditch my wallet so I can walk faster.

Wow.

I was hoping that guy was being sarcastic. So you can walk faster? Really?

It reduces drag by the WAR coefficient (Wallet-to-Ass Ratio).

Just wanted to add to the comments of SV. I drove from williamburg this morning to ride SV. I know thousands of other people have said it, but that was an insane ride. I have never walked off a ride having to process what I just rode. Like others have said this ride lives up to the hype and then some.

I do have a question for anyone that knows, with the final brake run being so short, how can they properly operate three trains? Maybe I am missing a block section but it seems if anything happens in the station and the brake run gets backed up, it would cause train 3 to stop on the MCBR. If you don’t mind explaining that would be great.

Edit: I guess the final brake run looks super short, but maybe it isn’t and it would be able to handle two trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to add to the comments of SV. I drove from williamburg this morning to ride SV. I know thousands of other people have said it, but that was an insane ride. I have never walked off a ride having to process what I just rode. Like others have said this ride lives up to the hype and then some.

I do have a question for anyone that knows, with the final brake run being so short, how can they properly operate three trains? Maybe I am missing a block section but it seems if anything happens in the station and the brake run gets backed up, it would cause train 3 to stop on the MCBR. If you don’t mind explaining that would be great.

Edit: I guess the final brake run looks super short, but maybe it isn’t and it would be able to handle two trains.

I believe it happens exactly as you state - if something gets held up at the station, train 3 will stop at the MCBR.

I believe it happens exactly as you state - if something gets held up at the station, train 3 will stop at the MCBR.

Interesting. That would work but very interesting. Then again, there is so much time to load a train that there shouldn’t be a problem (obviously, or CP would have figured something else out). Thank you for the reply.

Great to hear that story, Phil! And I'm glad to hear people have been able to get at least a ride or two on SV. It seems like this has been an especially stressful few weeks for the park.

Thank you, Arthur! I agree that it must have been a PR nightmare for the park to have to pull both trains out of commission, but it was absolutely the right thing to do, so I commend them for that!

^When SV gets FL+ back it will have it's benefits likely every day of this operating year. I agree buying ahead of time on most days is a bad idea, but using the term worthless isn't 100% accurate. I like how Kim said if anyone had FL+ on the day she went all rides were pretty much walk-on. That's still pretty cool for 100 bones, for some of us at least. I'd take that over a more costly VIP tour any day.

I mentioned earlier a cool CP story that I was going to share, so here goes...this will be a bit lengthy, so you might want to grab a beer (or a non-adult beverage if you are underage) for this one!

I hope my coffee was acceptable for the story.

It sounds like you still enjoyed your trip. Despite the hardships you guys faced, I'm glad there was a silver lining. I'm sorry to hear about Michael. A long trip like yours seems like it would be taxing for anyone, so it sounds like you guys really champed it out despite the obstacles.

I don't really talk about it much, but I have a couple health issues that provide me with often significant inconveniences throughout my daily life which are even more inconvenient during activities like park visits. I couldn't imagine being in his spot. I hope for a full recovery and I'll say a prayer.

I get all of the hubbub about wait times, etc. But, when it's time to ride I personally have zero time for phones, apps, and glasses; I even ditch my wallet so I can walk faster.

Wow.

Coffee is absolutely fine, Zach!

It has always been our way to try and cram 6 days into 5 whenever we go on vacation because we never want to be bored. But cramming two full days in a row at SDC and then a show at the Welk resort on Wednesday night, I could tell that Michael was shot. He was actually dozing off during the show (that he REALLY wanted to see), so I knew that we should have likely opted out of two full days at the park despite the fact that we both loved it.

I am sorry to hear about your health issues. I have some myself, but they pale in comparison to Michael's. He is certainly a trooper and I know that he wouldn't be here today if he weren't. Guy is tough as nails, when I think that I may have cashed in my chips a while ago if I went through what he has been through.

Although it's been tough on me too being his caretaker and driving to and from various hospitals every day during that six months. I can't say that I didn't come out of this with a bit of PTSD. I can only imagine what you must go through on a day to day basis in the police department!

Hang in there though...and I hope that your upcoming vacation is as great (if not better) than ours was. Certainly hoping that you have better weather for the coaster camp-out at CP and that you won't have to wait two hours to ride SV. Even then, it wasn't that bad as I thought it would be waiting in the line. It reminded me a lot of waiting 1.5-2 hours for Magnum back in '89!

Edited by Philrad71

Don’t know what is going On with SV today. But it is closed for the rest of the day. They gave us exit line passes and 50% off admission ticket. Very surprised they gave us these but it was extremely nice

I forgot to mention that they were handing out Steel Vengeance cards at the exit gate on Friday night with a scratch-off where everyone wins a prize. I won a BOGO admission for a return visit.

Not sure what the other prizes are, but I thought that was a nice cool gesture!

I forgot to mention that they were handing out Steel Vengeance cards at the exit gate on Friday night with a scratch-off where everyone wins a prize. I won a BOGO admission for a return visit.

What!! That is so cool. Really impressed with Cp doing something like that.

That's really great of them. Sorry you had to bail early on the trip, but I get it. Glad you enjoyed what you were able to do at least. Branson's quite a long way from you, so even doing it at all is a big improvement.

It's really nice to read about how the park is stepping up when things are going less than swimmingly.

I was genuinely happy to see them do something like that. And it wasn’t just the people in the station or the ones that were about to ride. It was everyone who stayed in line.

Don’t know what is going On with SV today. But it is closed for the rest of the day. They gave us exit line passes and 50% off admission ticket. Very surprised they gave us these but it was extremely nice

Sounds like the park's very aware some folks are making the trek from far away solely to get a ride in on it, and don't want anyone bursting because "the ride we traveled halfway around the world to get on just closed." It's so nice of Cedar Point to be doing all these things you guys are mentioning. That's above and beyond what some other parks would probably do.

Sounds like the park's very aware some folks are making the trek from far away solely to get a ride in on it, and don't want anyone bursting because "the ride we traveled halfway around the world to get on just closed." It's so nice of Cedar Point to be doing all these things you guys are mentioning. That's above and beyond what some other parks would probably do.

I agree. I love this. From the marketing side this will help give positive reviews and curve the social media haters.

Driving 10 hrs to ride SV once was all I needed bc I was aware of these problems. Now I get to enjoy this awesome park and maybe get another ride tomorrow or Wednesday.

Kim, glad you had a good time, despite the cold. You've further reinforced my thoughts on bringing some layers this weekend. We went during late June two years ago, also. I remember the mayflies caked to the front of Valravn and brushing them off of us when after we rode at night. I hate killing things, even insects. Sometimes there weren't any pathways without living mayflies covering the sidewalks, which made me feel like shit. I'll go out of my way to scoop a spider up in a glass and toss it outside. Last week I saved a wasp in my work gym which tried like hell to sting me after that.

Has anyone ever been to Coaster Campout who has any advice to offer? I'm really hoping that we have an experience similar to Kim where they trade out our scheduled nightly ERT for MF or another coaster. It sounds like they're already on the ball for this, so it seems likely. Also, where are the all day Lock*rs? I'd at least like to throw my keys in there.

Maxair was swinging a bit yesterday, but not rotating.

It was just a windy day at the park.

Actually it's funny you say that, the first thoughts through my head when walking through the front gate were, "good, Skyride is running, that's means the wind isn't bad."

I'm enjoying reading everyone's take on SV! Here's mine! It gets better every time you ride it. We got a total of 3 yesterday after waiting about an hour each time. From what I could tell, the line stayed about the same all day, give or take. Kudos to that crew, they were hauling and making the best of a single train situation. Every coaster had their hiccups throughout the day, but I'd say that TTD and SV were among the most reliable for the day, ironically. It's just such nonstop balls to the wall insanity from start to finish. If you're on the taller side, the airtime can wreak havoc on your shins if you don't position your feet back about an inch or two, but it's easy to manage. I'm not much of a ranker past 10 or so, but I'd put SV at my number two, extremely close behind X2. I'd even consider them 1a and 1b, honestly. I'm excited to get back there in some warmer weather to take more laps on that thing.

Just a random funny note also, at one point waiting in line they stopped the train on the lift hill because some douche had their phone out, and once everyone realized that's all it was, and not a breakdown, they started booing and chanting to kick them out!

20180513_195757.thumb.jpg.44b383330ab5d8909a5d992f171d68c8.jpg

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Also, where are the all day Lock*rs? I'd at least like to throw my keys in there.

The all day lock*rs are to the right, once you go through the main entrance gates, right next to the bathroom over there.

I agree. I love this. From the marketing side this will help give positive reviews and curve the social media haters.

Driving 10 hrs to ride SV once was all I needed bc I was aware of these problems. Now I get to enjoy this awesome park and maybe get another ride tomorrow or Wednesday.

When we were standing in line, the ride op mentioned that there was a couple that had flown in from Seattle that day just to ride SV and after their ride, they left and flew back home. If that's true, that is some roller coaster dedication right there!

She was good about razzing people that weren't being loud enough coming back into the station - so I did my part and was hooting and hollering before we left the station and most certainly when we came back in. Our train was the loudest of all the ones I had heard previously before boarding.

20180514_181635_resized.thumb.jpg.ca498c0e6501a0c66df21d7de2b075f4.jpg

To the left are the cards that were being handed out at the Breakers exit. To the right are our room keys that Brandon said we could keep for a souvenir (nice touch).

20180514_181650_resized.thumb.jpg.f8d27b8e71b21479caf03ed1f78e79a3.jpg

Back of the cards.

Don’t like hearing that SV was down today. Tomorrow is our school trip for the students who have outstanding attendance...

and yes I get the irony of rewarding kids who rarely miss class by letting them miss class.

Anyway I organize the trip every year and this year I moved it up because the crowds are usually lighter. But with the strange start this season I’m really hoping I didn’t screw the kids out of the chance to ride SV. I teach in a low income district and most of our kids have never been to an amusement park before and won’t be going back anytime soon. So this is their one chance for a while.

There are 2 blocks on the brake-run. There's the more obvious one right before the station, but before that, there are 3 sets of drive wheels between the magnetic brakes that can stop the train if needed. I'm not sure why else they would be there if that wasn't the purpose.

There are 2 blocks on the brake-run. There's the more obvious one right before the station, but before that, there are 3 sets of drive wheels between the magnetic brakes that can stop the train if needed. I'm not sure why else they would be there if that wasn't the purpose.

Ohhhhh I will have to look for them tomorrow. That would make sense that there would be 2 block sections there, otherwise (like you said) why would there be 3 sets of drive wheel. I must have missed that.

^^to the person on the school trip tomorrow. The ride was up today, but went down around 3p(ish) it seemed like something they could fix but it would take a long time. I hope that means it was possible to fix the problem today and will be up tomorrow. I guess we shall see!

I'm not much of a ranker past 10 or so, but I'd put SV at my number two, extremely close behind X2. I'd even consider them 1a and 1b, honestly.

God help me on my first enthusiast event on Saturday.

Seriously though, no one on here has been to Coaster Campout? This really surprises me.

:lol: I give up. Between the three HD webcams and that site I don’t know what more you need.

I understand your frustration coasterbill but with all honesty, I had NEVER seen that queue time website till you posted it, so if I didn't follow the thread and didn't go back 15-20 pages like I am to do, I'd have no clue it even existed, and I'd be asking the same (well, at this point because I know about it) dumb questions, I suppose. And I've been following coasters for over 20 years now.

That link should just be a sticky at the top of the thread, because people are ALWAYS asking about wait times, park capacity, ride closures. But the truth of the matter is, it's all a crap-shoot. For us trying to guess, and even the park trying to guess, depending on what happens with the ride or the unpredictability of unforseen circumstances, literally nobody knows.

With a park like Disney that has essentially unlimited resources on fairly mundayne rides, sure, you'll have consistency and predictability. But when it comes to Six Flags or Cedar Fair, you're roaming into pushing the limit territory, and with that come unforseen events that effect reliability.

It's what happens when you have rides going 200, 300, 400+ feet in the air and are going over 100 miles per hour.

FOLLOW LOOK AND UPDATE THE WEBSITE FOLKS!

The web cames are good at telling you that a ride is operating or at least testing. The problem with the web cam is that it really doesn't give you any idea about the queues for most of the big rides. You have no idea about SV, Maverick, TTD, or Gatekepper. You can see Valravn and MF's queues I believe. The other 4 you don't. If you really want to cover more then replace camera 2 with something back by Maverick and SV. A shot of the midway really isn't showing much.

Live Cedar Point queue times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Click it. Learn it. Love it.

By the way there's no reason anyone who's on TPR,who's looking for information and asking questions about Cedar Point, and is visiting the park, there's no reason they shouldn't be contributing info to this site. You're waiting in line and you're on your phone anyway, it takes what...1 minute? Let's help make this site better by giving it up-to-date info. I for one really appreciate that this kind of thing is around when really, there seems to be nothing else! Webcams are nice but, really, the people at the park telling us what's going on is pretty awesome.

So I looked at it today since I will be in the park on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday next week. At one point the site said Valravn was 120 minutes, and about 15 minutes later it was 20 minutes where it stayed the rest of the time. The issue with this site is the fact that if you miss type in the numbers or you type the wrong number under the wrong coaster. To me, the user who tried to type in 120 for Valravn either meant to type that in for Steel Vengeance or made a mistake and added a "1" in front of the "20". I felt like a lot of it was accurate but you do have these outliers from time to time that makes the data look strange.

From a user on Reddit:

Just a rant-

I was in line for two hours, on the stairs to the station and then the train over shot the station and closed for two hours. What is wrong with this ride. Shortest line ive seen absolutely ruined

I also found a POV (would link it here but not sure what the policy is on illegal videos) in which while entering the station, the train comes to a hard halt. Looks like they're having some problems with the station system.

From a user on Reddit:

Just a rant-

I was in line for two hours, on the stairs to the station and then the train over shot the station and closed for two hours. What is wrong with this ride. Shortest line ive seen absolutely ruined

I also found a POV (would link it here but not sure what the policy is on illegal videos) in which while entering the station, the train comes to a hard halt. Looks like they're having some problems with the station system.

Not good. I was hoping that they were shutting it down to start the transition to multiple trains but it doesn't sound like this is the case at all. I'm just hoping this thing stays open during my visit in a few days.