TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

If you consider GateKeeper as a replacement for Disaster Transport, Valraven as a replacement of Wild Cat, and obviously Steel Vengeance as a replacement of Mean Streak (Do I really need to mention Mantis..) there has been a zero net gain of coasters at CP since Maverick in 2007. Dont get me wrong, there has been an improvement, a VAST improvement but a zero net gain of coasters. Not complaining I just think thats an interesting fact when adding up how many coasters CP has.

Yeah, I think the post-Kinzel management took a big state of the union look at the park and wanted to improve overall park quality rather than push for mindless quantity. I'm glad the park didn't plop down Zac Spins & super loops, with all due respect to those rides and the parks that have them. Lots of things have moved, improved, and/or been tweaked since Kinzel retired. The entrance, hotels, sports complex, beach, water park, old show buildings, etc., also speak to a lot of changes and new approaches.

On the other hand, some of the coaster removals grew the need for a good family coaster (or two!) even further. Keeping with the theme of internal improvements, I'd be interested in parts of Corkscrew receiving the updated track that was put on Python at Efteling, to make it a fun first looper for families rather than a clunky one-and-done.

^ We'll see, I think it's only going to rain in the morning on Sunday. Mother's day is usually a pretty light day anyway, add to it the 90% chance of rain and somewhat chilly temperatures and it could be a GREAT day because the park will most likely be completely dead. Maybe I can ride SV a few times without getting off

I'm planning on making the trip over tomorrow. Should be short lines (if not complete walk-ons) for most of the big rides due to the weather forecast (high of 51 with clouds and rain chances late in the evening AND it being a weekday). The wind might be an issue, but it's not supposed to get above 15 mph until later.

If you consider GateKeeper as a replacement for Disaster Transport, Valraven as a replacement of Wild Cat, and obviously Steel Vengeance as a replacement of Mean Streak (Do I really need to mention Mantis..) there has been a zero net gain of coasters at CP since Maverick in 2007. Dont get me wrong, there has been an improvement, a VAST improvement but a zero net gain of coasters. Not complaining I just think thats an interesting fact when adding up how many coasters CP has.

Yeah, I think the post-Kinzel management took a big state of the union look at the park and wanted to improve overall park quality rather than push for mindless quantity. I'm glad the park didn't plop down Zac Spins & super loops, with all due respect to those rides and the parks that have them. Lots of things have moved, improved, and/or been tweaked since Kinzel retired. The entrance, hotels, sports complex, beach, water park, old show buildings, etc., also speak to a lot of changes and new approaches.

On the other hand, some of the coaster removals grew the need for a good family coaster (or two!) even further. Keeping with the theme of internal improvements, I'd be interested in parts of Corkscrew receiving the updated track that was put on Python at Efteling, to make it a fun first looper for families rather than a clunky one-and-done.

The one thing Cedar Point is missing is a decent wooden coaster IMO. Something similar to Mystic Timbers (but slightly taller/faster/longer) would fit in real nice in the old STR/Dinosaurs Alive area

^ That'd be awesome!

Also they could possibly do something I have seen on YouTube, a Planet Snoopy expansion with a Vekoma (or B&M, they have started to make these recently) suspended family coaster.

It's extraordinary and a good concept, check it out! :

^ We'll see, I think it's only going to rain in the morning on Sunday. Mother's day is usually a pretty light day anyway, add to it the 90% chance of rain and somewhat chilly temperatures and it could be a GREAT day because the park will most likely be completely dead. Maybe I can ride SV a few times without getting off

Hmmm...the forecast that I see is calling for 80% chance of rain all day on Saturday.

We'll be there this weekend and just see what hand is dealt to us. It's not looking great, but we just had PERFECT weather for two days at SDC.

Ya can't win 'em all, I suppose!

Damn. One train on SV? I wonder what's going to happen for our 1030p-12am ERT during the coaster campout next weekend. ERT with one train doesn't seem like much ERT at all, so we'll see how this plays out. It would be fantastic if they opened Maverick.

I may end up skipping out on SV all together if I have to wait hours to ride. It will be kind of a bummer, but it actually wasn't the main objective of our CP trip.

Hopefully this is just a minor issue and everything will be back to normal by the end of the week. It' definitely doesn't seem "Lightning Rod bad" as the ride will actually be open. Hopefully it's them going through and making sure the programming, brakes and drive wheels are redundant as possible so this never happens again.

I'm planning on making the trip over tomorrow. Should be short lines (if not complete walk-ons) for most of the big rides due to the weather forecast (high of 51 with clouds and rain chances late in the evening AND it being a weekday). The wind might be an issue, but it's not supposed to get above 15 mph until later.

Good luck! It looks like it could literally rain all day.

...Maybe I can ride SV a few times without getting off

I hear this has become a real issue for enthusiast on Steel Vengeance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^ That'd be awesome!

Also they could possibly do something I have seen on YouTube, a Planet Snoopy expansion with a Vekoma (or B&M, they have started to make these recently) suspended family coaster.

It's extraordinary and a good concept, check it out! :

Why didn't someone think of this before?! I kind of really hope Cedar Point does something like this. Like, not every new attraction has to be a rip your face off extreme thrill ride. It'd be nice to see them get a *true* family coaster, that more families could enjoy together! Plus, it puts them one step closer to that oh so important "20 coasters" mark. (Because you know... people are so worried about that.)

This little animation looks awesome! #MakeItHappenCP!

OMG.

I just read CP's official SV update from yesterday.

I'm flying all the way from Germany on the 22nd especially for SV and bought a Fast Lane

How do you estimate the chances that 2/3 trains will be in operation by then?

That's such a bummer.

Why didn't someone think of this before?! I kind of really hope Cedar Point does something like this. Like, not every new attraction has to be a rip your face off extreme thrill ride. It'd be nice to see them get a *true* family coaster, that more families could enjoy together! Plus, it puts them one step closer to that oh so important "20 coasters" mark. (Because you know... people are so worried about that.)

This little animation looks awesome! #MakeItHappenCP!

I don't know what the cost of one of those new Vekoma family boomerang coasters is but I feel like it's probably priced such that Cedar Fair could buy one for every park in like a 2-3 year span, and I'd totally be for it.

They need to keep it so they can get their coaster count up to 20. It won't go anywhere until they hit that number.

It never ceases to amaze me that enthusiasts know theme parks and coasters so well that they can name a coaster halfway across the world from a super small, pixelated zoomed-in image on Facebook, differentiate between flatspins, barrel rolls and corkscrews or dive loops and immelmans and decipher codes on shipping containers and tell you that a new B&M dive coaster is going to XXXXXXX park because someone took a picture of a truck on the highway but at the same time not even have a basic understanding of how this industry works.

Could you imagine FUN going on a conference call and telling their shareholders that they're on a quest for 20 coasters so even if it makes business sense to remove something they won't do it until they hit 20 coasters? It's hilarious just to think about it.

I don't think Wicked Twister is going anywhere and never did, but the idea that having a set amount of coasters in their lineup plays into their decision making is dumb.

THIS. Just so much... THIS:

It never ceases to amaze me that enthusiasts know theme parks and coasters so well that they can name a coaster halfway across the world from a super small, pixelated zoomed-in image on Facebook, differentiate between flatspins, barrel rolls and corkscrews or dive loops and immelmans and decipher codes on shipping containers and tell you that a new B&M dive coaster is going to XXXXXXX park because someone took a picture of a truck on the highway but at the same time not even have a basic understanding of how this industry works.

f7FdEdG.jpg

If anyone is at the park today, let us know the details on the boarding passes, such as what time they were distributed, and how quickly they run out, if you are able. I ask because we are going on Monday and I'd just like to have an idea of what to expect.

Thanks!

OMG.

I just read CP's official SV update from yesterday.

I'm flying all the way from Germany on the 22nd especially for SV and bought a Fast Lane

How do you estimate the chances that 2/3 trains will be in operation by then?

That's such a bummer.

I doubt anybody here knows. We can only piece together the pieces of information that we have which isn't much. Flying from Germany especially for a brand new ride was always going to be a gamble. I hope it is working OK by the time you visit though.

f7FdEdG.jpg

I am so happy to see people on this forum not fall in the category that the only rides at CP are coasters. I have been waiting (not really counting on it) for a log flume to come back.

With CPs new motto they are focusing on being a vacation destination for everyone. From high thrills seekers to kids that want to see snoopy and the gang and even the people that want to sit back and relax. They don’t care about this fabricated “20”. They care about a well rounded park (profit) and they will continue to work on that for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn. One train on SV? I wonder what's going to happen for our 1030p-12am ERT during the coaster campout next weekend. ERT with one train doesn't seem like much ERT at all, so we'll see how this plays out. It would be fantastic if they opened Maverick.

I may end up skipping out on SV all together if I have to wait hours to ride. It will be kind of a bummer, but it actually wasn't the main objective of our CP trip.

I want to see how they handle the ERT on the Tuesday night after that. That was what I was looking forward to.

I hope they get at least one more train running on SV for CoasterMania. But with this being my first trip to CP, if I missed out on SV, it wouldn't ruin my trip for me, as it sounds like there's plenty else to do and see there.

f7FdEdG.jpg

I am so happy to see people on this forum not fall in the category that the only rides at CP are coasters. I have been waiting (not really counting on it) for a log flume to come back.

With CPs new motto they are focusing on being a vacation destination for everyone. From high thrills seekers to kids that want to see snoopy and the gang and even the people that want to sit back and relax. They don’t care about this fabricated “20”. They care about a well rounded park (profit) and they will continue to work on that for the foreseeable future.

Of course they care about a profit first. They are a business. But if they can advertise that they have 20 roller coasters and not just adding kiddie coasters to get to that mark, right Six Flags Magic Mountain, I think this goes a long way in part of their plan to be a profitable park. It is one heck of a marketing plan and a big part of their overall plan. Just like that current marketing plan has "most coasters over 200 feet tall" . You take out Wicked Twister that impacts that. I don't think it is going anywhere to be frank.

The years where CP gets a new coaster drives the excitement of public. Now not to turn this into an economics or business class, you have to weight it against cost of the coaster. But the years where they don't add a coaster, it doesn't drive as much interest or traffic, but their cost is down. You have to pick the right years to add them driven by the other cedar fair parks and the economy as a whole.

They will get to 20 at some point. They will do something big for their 150th year of operation. I saw something interesting where they discussed building a pier/boardwalk for the 150th and part of that could include a coaster. I think the most likely coasters over the next 5 years for this park include a wooden coaster, a flyer, and family suspended coaster. Will they add all 3 in the next 5 years, I am guessing not.

I hope they get at least one more train running on SV for CoasterMania. But with this being my first trip to CP, if I missed out on SV, it wouldn't ruin my trip for me, as it sounds like there's plenty else to do and see there.

There is PLENTY of other things to see and do!!! I mean, there's almost 20 other coasters!!! (#TooSoon)

In all seriousness though... There is a TON of stuff to do. Obviously, we are all hoping Steel Vengeance will be open for you. But if it's not there is no doubt about it that you will STILL have a GREAT trip!

Ride Top Thrill Dragster and Maverick a few times for me!

If anyone is at the park today, let us know the details on the boarding passes, such as what time they were distributed, and how quickly they run out, if you are able. I ask because we are going on Monday and I'd just like to have an idea of what to expect.

Thanks!

expect for SV to not be operating, and to have a good time at CP regardless?

that way if you can get a ride on it, it's an added bonus, but you aren't going to be disappointed if you cant.

just my suggestion. Even without SV Cedar Point is a fantastic park, with lots of great coasters and flats to keep you busy.

(hell, when I was there last year, SV wasn't even half built, and Mean Streak had already been shut down. . and I still had a GREAT first time ever at the park).

not what you want to hear, I know, but at least that's where I would set my expectations.

Edited by bert425

yep. . pretty much what I was just saying

and Bill will tout skycabins as must do (which they are, tho the course is short), and I will tout Cedar Downs as a must do (which is it, and try to ride the outside horses, the centrifugal force is so much fun).

f7FdEdG.jpg

Of course they care about a profit first. They are a business. But if they can advertise that they have 20 roller coasters and not just adding kiddie coasters to get to that mark, right Six Flags Magic Mountain, I think this goes a long way in part of their plan to be a profitable park. It is one heck of a marketing plan and a big part of their overall plan. Just like that current marketing plan has "most coasters over 200 feet tall" . You take out Wicked Twister that impacts that. I don't think it is going anywhere to be frank.

The years where CP gets a new coaster drives the excitement of public. Now not to turn this into an economics or business class, you have to weight it against cost of the coaster. But the years where they don't add a coaster, it doesn't drive as much interest or traffic, but their cost is down. You have to pick the right years to add them driven by the other cedar fair parks and the economy as a whole.

They will get to 20 at some point. They will do something big for their 150th year of operation. I saw something interesting where they discussed building a pier/boardwalk for the 150th and part of that could include a coaster. I think the most likely coasters over the next 5 years for this park include a wooden coaster, a flyer, and family suspended coaster. Will they add all 3 in the next 5 years, I am guessing not.

That was very insightful. Thank you for this post. I get what you are saying about the coaster does drive traffic but also costs more and thus one has to play this “balancing” act to make sure they are making the highest profit. As for the 20 number, like you said, they will hit it and it will not be by adding small kiddie coasters.

As for this wicked twister debate, I agree that it won’t be leaving soon for the fact of the 200’ mark.

I never thought about them adding a pier and having rides on it. That would be a major flash back of CP history, which they have been doing for some time now. I know it was discussed many years ago as an idea, but now thinking about it, it could be a strong possibility for the future.