TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I have two possible dates to head to Cedar Point, am looking for some input.

First option: May 29-30 (Tu-Wed)

Pros: Will be able to get FLP both days as it's the lowest tier

Cons: Only open until 8 (no night rides), might be understaffed

Second option: June 7-8 (Thu-Fri)

Pros: Operations will be in full swing by then, on Friday the park is open until 10, so night rides.

Cons: Will only be able to get FLP on Friday, and crowds will be larger

Any input? I'm sure I'll have a great time regardless.

Either is fine. Is it practical to hold off on booking anything, plan on the first one and then if the weather is bad just do the second one instead or do you want to plan in advance?

I'm fine booking the week before or week of, as weather is the main determiner. Don't want to risk driving 6 hours each way and getting rained out. That being said, if the weather is fine on both days, then I can choose which one is better. Part of me wants to go this month just because it's sooner, and I've been there before so night rides really aren't a big deal to me, although they would be neat. Thanks for the input.

^^High winds constantly make Raptor valley at the Cobra Roll. That's why it goes down.
Never thought of that. Thank you for the clarification.

I can't imagine that being the spot on the course that it would valley... it's one of the quickest / snappiest cobra rolls I've ever been on

I'm visiting Cedar Point June 5th and 6th. I'll be driving from 9 hours away and it'll be the first time I've been to the park since 2010. Thanks to following this thread for the last 4 years or so, I've definitely over prepared for this trip. I've purchased FL+ for both days and have budgeted for a third day on the 7th in the case there is bad weather, staffing issues, rides being down, ext.

Going then, I'd be surprised if you actually needed FL+ for the park... That's why typically it's a good idea to wait until getting to the park to see what the crowds are like. I just know when I go to CP (between mid-May and mid-June during the week), on most of the coasters, the FL+ is a complete waste for those who bought it. Basically, it'll help you get on SV, and Maverick faster, most likely. Too late now, but for future reference, especially when going during the week early in the season, and for multiple days, you probably don't need FL+ unless you absolutely abhor any waits at all.

Complete waste as in everything will be station waste, or complete waste as in everything will be 10-20 minute waits or are we talking station waits?If he's like me, bypassing even 10 minute lines on the semi-good coasters and 20-30 minute waits on the really good coasters will be worth it. I guess it all depends on your preferences. As per CoasterBill's recommendations a couple years ago we got BGT's skip the line system to ride "Cheetah Hunt and the Log Flume whenever we damn well pleased," (almost exact words) despite everything else being near station waits. Our only regret was waiting a couple hours to do this and getting stuck in an hour long Cheetah Hunt queue, when we could have waited 5... (We would have left the line, but I wanted to prove the value of the pass to my wife so I made her suffer). I'm trying to gauge if it depends on what kind of experience you're looking for or if it will be a waste as in everything will be nearly walk-on.

I also have a question for everyone as far as when we will know we won't be completely wasting our money when we go to Coaster Campout. We'd like FL+ both Saturday and Sunday, because we're spoiled rotten pricks. How can I get the best feel for if the pass will be necessary in the morning? I'd like to get the pass as soon as possible to take full advantage of it. I hope my question makes sense.

Well, I know I may be in the minority, but I don't consider waiting in lines 30 minutes or less to be untenable. I call it just a normal part of the amusement park experience. Did you not go to amusement parks, or Cedar Point before the advent of FL? Because waiting in lines was 100% a part of the deal... I get not liking waits that get into the 45 minute - 1 hour mark, and that's why I only go to CP when I do, weekdays in May and early June. But when the longest wait I have had during this time for a brand new coaster (like Valravn a couple years ago) is 45 minutes, and I had multiple waits in the 10-20 minute range, I consider that to be not bad at all, and well worth the MASSIVE savings in money! Regarding almost everything in the park except SV, Maverick, MF, and Valravn, you're definitely talking station waits, assuming you hit Raptor in the afternoon, and not first thing in the morning.

Sure, if you're talking about people who rarely come, or have never been to CP, and it's their one trip, obviously, if they want to do every single thing, and they'll only be there one day, they may "need" a FL+. However, if they are going to be there two days or more, during the week in May, I don't really see any "need", for FL+, from my extensive experience going to the park during this time. Now if somebody has the money to burn (because that's essentially what it is), and cannot stand waiting at all for SV, Maverick, and maybe Valravn, then sure, they might "want" to get FL+. But I just know that when I'm there during this time of the year, it's always humorous to me watching all the FL+ people who spent tons of money, not saving much time over me...

As for your second question, I think you should get your first ride in on SV first thing, then when you get off, see what the wait is, and if it's too long for your tastes, then get the FL+. Or, if you go there for your first ride, and the wait is already longer than you prefer, then obviously, you'll want to grab it then. Given that it's a Saturday/Sunday thing, and there's a special event going on, you will likely decide you want them, at least on Saturday. I would probably try to save the money the second day, and try riding SV once to gauge crowds. Since I'm assuming SV will be the main reason you want the FL+, that's what I recommend. Obviously, going there first thing will be what most everybody does, so it could skew the crowd size. But SV will have a steady line all day, especially if it's only running a train or two, so it's probably going to be your best barometer.

I should add that the size of one's group can make a difference in this FL matter too... If a couple is going, the cost may seem worth it. But when I'm taking my kids there, as a parent of 3 (who are riding age), the cost is astronomical, and simply not at all worth it - especially not on weekdays in May.

EDITED: Because my intention was not to insult, offend, or upset anybody with my choice of language.

Edited by DILinator

^I get what you're saying, but waiting at amusement parks isn't our thing. If 30-60 minute waits were the norm with no skip the line option then I'd move on from this hobby. For me, I would rather wait 5 minutes and pay marginally more money to spend the other 25 minutes enjoying the atmosphere. It's not fun to stand elbow to elbow with people for me. True, that's the amusement park experience I grew up with, but in my adult life that's not the experience I desire to have anymore. To be honest, if the cost of a FL+ brings the lines down from 15 minutes to 5 it's still worth it to us. We work hard to play hard in the summer. The only way we won't get it FL+is if we show up and it's a ghost town for whatever reason. It's not about marathoning rides for us. It's about maximizing enjoyment outside of the queue and not feeling rushed or goal oriented. To each his own, I guess.

Honestly, when people say "spoiled coaster enthusiasts", I think about people who consider even a 30 minute wait to be "long", right alongside people whining about lack of enthusiast perks, or expecting parks to cater to them.

I have to say that I disagree with you on this. I'm not asking for perks or the park to cater to me. There are no entitlements in this situation. I'm taking advantage of a added cost option for an enhanced experienced and expecting nothing other than what's advertised.

^I get what you're saying, but waiting at amusement parks isn't our thing. If 30-60 minute waits were the norm with no skip the line option then I'd move on from this hobby. For me, I would rather wait 5 minutes and pay marginally more money to spend the other 25 minutes enjoying the atmosphere. It's not fun to stand elbow to elbow with people for me. True, that's the amusement park experience I grew up with, but in my adult life that's not the experience I desire to have anymore. To be honest, if the cost of a FL+ brings the lines down from 15 minutes to 5 it's still worth it to us. We work hard to play hard in the summer. The only way we won't get it FL+is if we show up and it's a ghost town for whatever reason. It's not about marathoning rides for us. It's about maximizing enjoyment outside of the queue and not feeling rushed or goal oriented. To each his own, I guess.

To call the FL upgrade only "marginally" more, isn't quite accurate, at least according to what that word means. And that's the reason I'll likely never get FL. If it were only a marginal extra cost, I could see myself using it on days where lines get longer. But at minimum, on its cheapest days, at nearly double the cost of admission, it's a HUGE extra cost, not a marginal one. Yes, again, if you were coming one time a year, from a great distance, during the busy season, for only one day I could see that being "worth it", and something you should budget for to get the best Cedar Point experience. But during a May weekday, trimming your wait on only a few of the most popular coasters, just 25 minutes, does seem like a "waste" to me, at least given my pauper's budget. So when I advise people, and they ask if it's worth it, I'm always going to say "no" during this time, assuming they are looking to save money where they can, and are willing to wait what I consider a reasonable amount of time, for only a few coasters, while saving no time on most of them.

Again, that's my perspective, and you're certainly welcome to FL+ it to your heart's content. I'm just providing people with a different viewpoint, if they're more cost-conscious like me.

EDITED: Because my intention was not to insult, offend, or upset anybody with my choice of language.

Edited by DILinator

Honestly, when people say "spoiled coaster enthusiasts", I think about people who consider even a 30 minute wait to be "long", right alongside people whining about lack of enthusiast perks, or expecting parks to cater to them. Did you not go to amusement parks, or Cedar Point before the advent of FL? Because waiting in lines was 100% a part of the deal...

Well call me a big fat spoiled bitch cause I love fast pass in all of its forms. If a park offers the option for a guest to pay more to maximize their time, and the guest is willing to pay I don't see what the problem is. Also, I hate to break it to ya but coaster enthusiasts are not the only people to buy fast pass, so I'm not sure why we're being singled out as spoiled.

Also, you're making yourself sound old. Yes I went to parks before fast pass existed, yes we waited in line. But its 2018 and now I can pay to skip it, and dammit I'm going to.

Well call me a big fat spoiled bitch cause I love fast pass in all of its forms. If a park offers the option for a guest to pay more to maximize their time, and the guest is willing to pay I don't see what the problem is. Also, I hate to break it to ya but coaster enthusiasts are not the only people to buy fast pass, so I'm not sure why we're being singled out as spoiled.

Also, you're making yourself sound old. Yes I went to parks before fast pass existed, yes we waited in line. But its 2018 and now I can pay to skip it, and dammit I'm going to.

If you noticed in my second post, I clarified that I wasn't only referring to enthusiasts. I' feel like people who think FL+ is the only way to do amusement parks now have been "spoiled" by it. But that's pretty much just using the word "spoiled" as it's contextually used. To use a personal example, if I go during a mid-week May day this year, and the park is busy, and I have long waits due to SV's popularity, then I would say I have been "spoiled" by all my previous years going during this time. Or, another example is my beer snobbery, and my complete inability to drink any domestic or cheap beers, because I've been "spoiled" by craft beers! So that's what I was meaning by using that word. However, I regret "going there" now, as it was certainly NOT my intention to insult, upset, or offend anybody with my choice of language. Personally, I think there are some philosophical problems with any skip the line concept, but that's not something I'm interested in getting into, because that wasn't my whole point in speaking up. It was in regard to specifically whether somebody would need FL+ during this early season at Cedar Point, and my opinion on that based on extensive experience going to the park during this time.

As for sounding old, I am old!

Edited by DILinator

If you noticed in my second post, I clarified that I wasn't only referring to enthusiasts. People who think FL+ is the only way to do parks now are spoiled by it. All people. That's pretty much just using the word spoiled as it's contextually used. And I think there are some very deep philosophical problems with the concept, but that's not something I'm going to get into here, because that wasn't my whole point in speaking up. It was in regard to specifically whether somebody would need FL+ during this early season at Cedar Point, and my opinion on that based on extensive experience going to the park during this time.

I'm not interested in waiting in line for more than a half hour, if I had to, I simply wouldn't go to the park at all, it wouldn't be enjoyable to me. I'm also cheap so I go midweek, etc.. but if I'm going to a park that's far away, and I only have one day to experience it, I'm very happy that it's possible to pay for a Fast Pass/Lane though I've yet to need to. Yes it creates a two tier system of those willing to pay to cut wait times and those not. I don't think it's a rich vs poor, I would rather buy a fast pass and go one day, than go two days with none. The fastpass is cheaper than the hotel. When you have kids it gets more difficult,so maybe someone is camping instead of getting a hotel so they can put the savings towards fast passes on a holiday weekend.

But frankly the whole system sucks, this whole waiting two hours to get on a ride is mental to me, makes absolutely -no- sense. The Disney system is the best, it doesn't cost extra, I went to Disneyland on a mid summer Saturday and never waited more than 15 minutes for any ride with the fast passes, and 10 of those 15 minutes was usually how long it took just to walk from the entrance to the ride itself. It was awesome, book a time on a popular ride and then instead of wasting your day in line for two hours you can go for lunch, try less popular rides, have a nap, etc.. if you were even remotely organized you could ride every major ride in the park without ever having to stand in line for more than a few minutes.

But frankly the whole system sucks, this whole waiting two hours to get on a ride is mental to me, makes absolutely -no- sense. The Disney system is the best, it doesn't cost extra, I went to Disneyland on a mid summer Saturday and never waited more than 15 minutes for any ride with the fast passes, and 10 of those 15 minutes was usually how long it took just to walk from the entrance to the ride itself. It was awesome, book a time on a popular ride and then instead of wasting your day in line for two hours you can go for lunch, try less popular rides, have a nap, etc.. if you were even remotely organized you could ride every major ride in the park without ever having to stand in line for more than a few minutes.

I definitely agree with you here! If Cedar Point, or any amusement park, had a system like Disney's, I'd be 100% in support of it!

To call the FL upgrade only "marginally" more, isn't quite accurate, at least according to what that word means. And that's the reason I'll likely never get FL. If it were only a marginal extra cost, I could see myself using it on days where lines get longer. But at minimum, on its cheapest days, at nearly double the cost of admission, it's a HUGE extra cost, not a marginal one. Yes, again, if you were coming one time a year, from a great distance, during the busy season, for only one day I could see that being "worth it", and something you should budget for to get the best Cedar Point experience. But during a May weekday, trimming your wait on only a few of the most popular coasters, just 25 minutes, does seem like a "waste" to me, at least given my pauper's budget. So when I advise people, and they ask if it's worth it, I'm always going to say "no" during this time, assuming they are looking to save money where they can, and are willing to wait what I consider a reasonable amount of time, for only a few coasters, while saving no time on most of them.

Again, that's my perspective, and you're certainly welcome to FL+ it to your heart's content. I'm just providing people with a different viewpoint, if they're more cost-conscious like me.

And "marginally" is a totally subjective word. I have been to many parks, understand the cost of whatever fastpass they have and to me it is marginal when I factor in what I am already spending on hotel, transportation, etc, etc. Bottom line if it's worth it to you and you can afford; get them.....if not then don't. Totally personal decision. In fact I'm not sure why the "worth" is even a discussion because that has to be an individual decision.

Some of the things said about this are totally ridiculous. Someone is spoiled if they buy fast lane passes at parks? There are different perks in every aspect of life that people can enjoy if they feel the value matches the price. What about people who have season passes? Are they spoiled? What about people who go to parks in the first place vs people who can’t? Are they spoiled?

The Cedar Fair fast lane system is the best one out there in terms of having the freedom to do what you want when you want to do it. And nobody is spoiled if they decide to spend their hard earned money on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you noticed in my second post, I clarified that I wasn't only referring to enthusiasts. I' feel like people who think FL+ is the only way to do amusement parks now have been "spoiled" by it. But that's pretty much just using the word "spoiled" as it's contextually used. To use a personal example, if I go during a mid-week May day this year, and the park is busy, and I have long waits due to SV's popularity, then I would say I have been "spoiled" by all my previous years going during this time. Or, another example is my beer snobbery, and my complete inability to drink any domestic or cheap beers, because I've been "spoiled" by craft beers! So that's what I was meaning by using that word. However, I regret "going there" now, as it was certainly NOT my intention to insult, upset, or offend anybody with my choice of language. Personally, I think there are some philosophical problems with any skip the line concept, but that's not something I'm interested in getting into, because that wasn't my whole point in speaking up. It was in regard to specifically whether somebody would need FL+ during this early season at Cedar Point, and my opinion on that based on extensive experience going to the park during this time.

Fair enough, I didn't see the second post you made there until just now. Realize I was asleep and laughing when I responded. I also would never get FP at like Great Adventure or when not necessary due to weather/low crowds or whatever, but half hour waits at a park I never go to and/or only have one day at are too long and I will get a FP. If I had 20-30 minute waits for the big 4-5 at Cedar Point, that would all add up to a couple hours of my day wasted standing around when I could be enjoying food/beer or riding something else. Even if I was there for a few days I would get it with waits that long. Maybe it makes me an opportunist, but I don't think it makes me spoiled.

I've tried to graciously bow out of this conversation, because you all have gone off on a tangent that I never intended. So I'm done with it. You do CP your way, and I'll do it my way, and I will continue to offer the minority report, if people ask for advice regarding this time of the CP season.

I will say though, if you all aren't getting payola from Cedar Point for your ardent views on FL, you're doing something wrong!

FL & FL+ are an opportunity cost to be honest. For my trip later this month, I get into the area Saturday night. May goto the park for 2 hours to get used to how things are set-up as I never been to Cedar Point. I am platinum so I get early entry, and on Sunday if I get the sense it will be busy and the weather is good, I will get the FL+, and I am guessing it will be. Then on Monday and Tuesday I am planning on not having to get the FL+ or FL.

^Yeah, in your situation, coming across the country for the first time, it does make sense to consider FL+. I think you have a good plan though... Wait and see how things are Sunday, because oftentimes, Sundays aren't too bad. Monday and Tuesday should be low crowds, especially Tuesday, if you're going in May. Enjoy! CP is a magical place for coaster lovers!

I am spoiled for earning money and then deciding to spend it on FP+ at CP after traveling 700 miles? You must be kidding. Now if someone paid for the pass and gave it to me then yes, I would be spoiled. If that is the way someone enjoys spending their money and time at a park, that does not make anyone spoiled even if that is the only way they would visit the park. If you don't like FP then don't buy one, it really is that simple. Just please quit complaining about or judging those that do.

I am spoiled for earning money and then deciding to spend it on FP+ at CP after traveling 700 miles? You must be kidding. Now if someone paid for the pass and gave it to me then yes, I would be spoiled. If that is the way someone enjoys spending their money and time at a park, that does not make anyone spoiled even if that is the only way they would visit the park. If you don't like FP then don't buy one, it really is that simple. Just please quit complaining about or judging those that do.

Clearly, nobody is actually reading my posts, but just participating in groupthink regarding what they think I said. I think enough time has been spent on misunderstanding my point, and attacking my perspective, so if everybody could just move on, that'd be great...

Edited by DILinator