TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

That's a bummer since you won't get early entry then so Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Valravn and Gatekeeper will already have lines built up by the time you get in. The Steel Vengeance, Maverick and Millennium Force lines might be quite sizeable.

Honestly if you don't have a season pass I don't suggest going this weekend. If you insist, go on the less windy of the 2 days and either buy Fastlane, buy a Platinum Pass so you get early entry and/or stay at the Cedar Point Express hotel to get Early Entry.

Go to Steel Vengeance IMMEDIATELY as they may be handing out return times if it's still running one train and they ran out early on Sunday. You're probably not going to get 2 rides on Steel Vengeance or Dragster. If you do, you made out like a bandit.

Wow, ok. No season's pass, this is a one off visit. We figured we should visit sooner than later since we had such luck with crowds early season at SF, I assumed May would be the ideal time to visit CP. Is it always so crazy/crowded in May or is it just because of SV opening?

I would get fastlane I guess if you're saying it's a must

I'm visiting Cedar Point June 5th and 6th. I'll be driving from 9 hours away and it'll be the first time I've been to the park since 2010. Thanks to following this thread for the last 4 years or so, I've definitely over prepared for this trip. I've purchased FL+ for both days and have budgeted for a third day on the 7th in the case there is bad weather, staffing issues, rides being down, ext.

Going then, I'd be surprised if you actually needed FL+ for the park... That's why typically it's a good idea to wait until getting to the park to see what the crowds are like. I just know when I go to CP (between mid-May and mid-June during the week), on most of the coasters, the FL+ is a complete waste for those who bought it. Basically, it'll help you get on SV, and Maverick faster, most likely. Too late now, but for future reference, especially when going during the week early in the season, and for multiple days, you probably don't need FL+ unless you absolutely abhor any waits at all.

Yeah I kinda knew it would be pointless on some of the rides, but I kinda want to get a ton of laps in on SV and Maverick. Plus, my friends girlfriend gets motion sickness so she may have to take a break and sit out some rides, so the less she has to wait on us the better.

That's a bummer since you won't get early entry then so Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Valravn and Gatekeeper will already have lines built up by the time you get in. The Steel Vengeance, Maverick and Millennium Force lines might be quite sizeable.

Honestly if you don't have a season pass I don't suggest going this weekend. If you insist, go on the less windy of the 2 days and either buy Fastlane, buy a Platinum Pass so you get early entry and/or stay at the Cedar Point Express hotel to get Early Entry.

Go to Steel Vengeance IMMEDIATELY as they may be handing out return times if it's still running one train and they ran out early on Sunday. You're probably not going to get 2 rides on Steel Vengeance or Dragster. If you do, you made out like a bandit.

Wow, ok. No season's pass, this is a one off visit. We figured we should visit sooner than later since we had such luck with crowds early season at SF, I assumed May would be the ideal time to visit CP. Is it always so crazy/crowded in May or is it just because of SV opening?

May is the ideal time to visit in terms of crowds but generally only if you go midweek. Crowds on a May weekend will probably be a little lower than on a summer weekend but the park will also be insanely understaffed, rides won't be running at full capacity (or at all) and given the uncertainty surrounding Steel Vengeance after last weekend I would really hold off because it's very likely going to be running one train and reaching capacity on return times by early afternoon.

Those damn executives. How dare they enjoy the fruit of their labor.

You must not have been around executives much, man. Their daddies didn't pay for their Yale education--ahem, for a smart poor kid to do their Yale homework for them--so they can "labor."

It’s their park, they should be able to do what they want. Don’t like it, don’t go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDIUPUS-9NrPfigFn9wQrECsN2DVuBR9BNGMvEYG75JQnL0HQncg

No I got it. I think you missed mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenor.gif?itemid=4486668

May is the ideal time to visit in terms of crowds but generally only if you go midweek. Crowds on a May weekend will probably be a little lower than on a summer weekend but the park will also be insanely understaffed, rides won't be running at full capacity (or at all) and given the uncertainty surrounding Steel Vengeance after last weekend I would really hold off because it's very likely going to be running one train and reaching capacity on return times by early afternoon.

ah ok gotcha, when you say some rides won't be running.. we're not talking about the flagship rides like TTD, MF and Maverick right? If we go on a May weekend with fastlane passes, what would be a typical wait on one of those rides? I'm leaving SV out because it's obviously a unique situation given how it just opened.

Also if i get a fast lane pass, can it be shared with my wife? ie i use it to ride something while she does a ride with the kids, and then she uses it to ride something while i do something with the kids?

ah ok gotcha, when you say some rides won't be running.. we're not talking about the flagship rides like TTD, MF and Maverick right? If we go on a May weekend with fastlane passes, what would be a typical wait on one of those rides? I'm leaving SV out because it's obviously a unique situation given how it just opened.

You must be new to the CP thread

you'll get way better answers from others, but cliff's notes: Maverick & TTD are super temperamental, and *if* they are up during your visit, expect them to be up and down multiple times thruout your day.

if you go in with that mindset? you won't be disappointed if the rides are down (or go down while you are in line) while you are there.

[You must be new to the CP thread

you'll get way better answers from others, but cliff's notes: Maverick & TTD are super temperamental, and *if* they are up during your visit, expect them to be up and down multiple times thruout your day.

if you go in with that mindset? you won't be disappointed if the rides are down (or go down while you are in line) while you are there.

haha yes i am new, i know the intamin's are finnicky, i just meant the park wouldn't leave those closed because of staffing issues right? i know they break down a lot. when i was at six flags kingda ka shut down on me while i was waiting to launch, then went to zumanjaro and it broke down just as we were about to get on, then back to KK it was back on again, got two laps in and it broke down again. At least if there's an attempt to keep them going i'm good

Dragster is the most unreliable coaster in the park and possibly the world. Early in the season they have a new (albeit awesome) crew and they're still working the bugs out so it breaks down even more frequently than it usually does (which is hard to believe). Based on queue times it was closed for about 10 hours on Saturday with mechanical issues.

If you go this coming Saturday you'll possibly have to deal with prolonged wind closures too.

ah ok gotcha, when you say some rides won't be running.. we're not talking about the flagship rides like TTD, MF and Maverick right? If we go on a May weekend with fastlane passes, what would be a typical wait on one of those rides?

If you want the first available seat you'll usually be on Millennium Force within 20 minutes with Fastlane. Maverick ranges wildly. I've waited 5 minutes with Fastlane, I've waited 45 minutes with Fastlane. With Dragster it all depends on how many times it breaks down between the time you enter the Fastlane line and the time you get on the train and how long the breakdown lasts (it's bound to happen).

Also if i get a fast lane pass, can it be shared with my wife? ie i use it to ride something while she does a ride with the kids, and then she uses it to ride something while i do something with the kids?

No. It's a wristband and it's non transferable.

Also since you have kids, note that last weekend they were only operating most kids rides for half the day and then moving the ride ops to other flats and kids rides later on with posted operating times outside each ride since they're so insanely understaffed. That may not be the case this weekend but you never know.

Seriously... I LOVE this park but I strongly advise you to wait a few weeks if you don't have a season pass.

Dragster is the most unreliable coaster in the park and possibly the world. Early in the season they have a new (albeit awesome) crew and they're still working the bugs out so it breaks down even more frequently than it usually does (which is hard to believe). Based on queue times it was closed for about 10 hours on Saturday with mechanical issues.

If you go this coming Saturday you'll possibly have to deal with prolonged wind closures too.

ah ok gotcha, when you say some rides won't be running.. we're not talking about the flagship rides like TTD, MF and Maverick right? If we go on a May weekend with fastlane passes, what would be a typical wait on one of those rides?

If you want the first available seat you'll usually be on Millennium Force within 20 minutes with Fastlane. Maverick ranges wildly. I've waited 5 minutes with Fastlane, I've waited 45 minutes with Fastlane. With Dragster it all depends on how many times it breaks down between the time you enter the Fastlane line and the time you get on the train and how long the breakdown lasts (it's bound to happen).

No. It's a wristband and it's non transferable.

Also since you have kids, note that last weekend they were only operating most kids rides for half the day and then moving the ride ops to other flats and kids rides later on with posted operating times outside each ride since they're so insanely understaffed. That may not be the case this weekend but you never know.

Seriously... I LOVE this park but I strongly advise you to wait a few weeks if you don't have a season pass.

thanks, so it's not just because of the new ride opening, this is a typical problem in may at this park? strange that six flags was running so well in april and cedar point, the park everyone talks about, has these staffing issues, etc..

I'm visiting Cedar Point June 5th and 6th. I'll be driving from 9 hours away and it'll be the first time I've been to the park since 2010. Thanks to following this thread for the last 4 years or so, I've definitely over prepared for this trip. I've purchased FL+ for both days and have budgeted for a third day on the 7th in the case there is bad weather, staffing issues, rides being down, ext.

Going then, I'd be surprised if you actually needed FL+ for the park... That's why typically it's a good idea to wait until getting to the park to see what the crowds are like. I just know when I go to CP (between mid-May and mid-June during the week), on most of the coasters, the FL+ is a complete waste for those who bought it. Basically, it'll help you get on SV, and Maverick faster, most likely. Too late now, but for future reference, especially when going during the week early in the season, and for multiple days, you probably don't need FL+ unless you absolutely abhor any waits at all.

Complete waste as in everything will be station waste, or complete waste as in everything will be 10-20 minute waits or are we talking station waits?If he's like me, bypassing even 10 minute lines on the semi-good coasters and 20-30 minute waits on the really good coasters will be worth it. I guess it all depends on your preferences. As per CoasterBill's recommendations a couple years ago we got BGT's skip the line system to ride "Cheetah Hunt and the Log Flume whenever we damn well pleased," (almost exact words) despite everything else being near station waits. Our only regret was waiting a couple hours to do this and getting stuck in an hour long Cheetah Hunt queue, when we could have waited 5... (We would have left the line, but I wanted to prove the value of the pass to my wife so I made her suffer). I'm trying to gauge if it depends on what kind of experience you're looking for or if it will be a waste as in everything will be nearly walk-on.

I also have a question for everyone as far as when we will know we won't be completely wasting our money when we go to Coaster Campout. We'd like FL+ both Saturday and Sunday, because we're spoiled rotten pricks. How can I get the best feel for if the pass will be necessary in the morning? I'd like to get the pass as soon as possible to take full advantage of it. I hope my question makes sense.

When we were there two years ago which was Valravn opening year, on a Wed, in late June........several of the coasters had 30-45 min waits without FL. We were already in line for Valravn due to early entry and watching the masses running in to get in line was like a stampede. SV will be worse. Get the FL.

strange that six flags was running so well in april and cedar point, the park everyone talks about, has these staffing issues, etc..

Oh best believe Great Adventure has major staffing issues right now. They always do until college kids and international workers start showing up in late May/early June, just like CP. According to a friend who has relationships with the higher-ups at the park and will remain nameless, this has been the worst year for staffing yet and its caused a lot of issues behind the scenes. But if you were there on a day where Ka only had 30 minute wait, Nitro had a 5 minute wait and Toro trains were half empty, you likely didn't notice because the park sounds like it was dead. But if you were to ask any of the locals who go regularly, most would bitch and moan endlessly and relentlessly about the lack of staff this early in the season, just like they do every single year (see: the Great Adventure Connoisseurs Facebook group).

do you guys ever worry about losing your keys, wallet, phone, etc on rides? wallet i could just sit on, but i probably wouldn't wanna do that with my keys or phone

pants with zippered pockets.

or, do as the park wants you to, and rent a FFBFWMaG

do you guys ever worry about losing your keys, wallet, phone, etc on rides? wallet i could just sit on, but i probably wouldn't wanna do that with my keys or phone

zipper.gif.f51ec34941bd7d5e60187984e6235c0f.gif

Boldikus is spot on about Great Adventure, and I'd also add that Six Flags takes a different approach to operating with low staffing levels than Cedar Point seems to. You can argue back and fourth about which solution is better. I see the advantages of both.

Cedar Point seems to handle low staffing by only opening certain rides at certain times, opening rides hours late on early season weekdays and closing some smaller rides. That said, the rides that are open run with large crews, multiple seat checkers per side and with all loading platforms operational (Gemini aside).

Six Flags opens everything but does so on a skeleton crew. If they have to pull the greeter, they pull the greeter. If a ride op also has to check Flash pass, they check Flash Pass. Everything that can open will open, but none of it will run all that efficiently.

For example... on Saturday, Cedar Point ran both load platforms on Dragster and Maverick while smaller rides were only open on rotation. If this were a Six Flags park they would absolutely have the rides reprogrammed so that they could operate with one load platform at a time and they would probably find a way to unload Dragster from the load 1 position. I guarantee they would find a way to run that thing with 2-3 trains and only 2 ops on the platform (like they did with Kingda Ka which was designed to have 4 load platforms). Maverick? Put a trash can blocking the back load platform, pull 2 or 3 trains off and call it a day. Gatekeeper? Reprogram it and allow 1 seat checker per wing. Sky Ride, run half the cabins, 2 ops per side. I've seen Six Flags New England ROUTINELY run 4 cars on an entire Von Roll Sky Ride and 1 op per side. I swear I'm not joking. Every single flat ride except Maxair and Skyhawk? 1 op. That said, those other rides would have been open.

I feel better about telling you to go to Six Flags early in the season because I know they'll open everything all day if possible. Every ride will be running as inefficiently as humanly possible but they'll be running so the worst case scenario is you buy a Flash Pass and deal with it.

For example... we went to Great Adventure on opening day and we wanted to ride Safari. We were IN THE STATION and waited 20 minutes easily for a truck to even show up. They had FOUR TRUCKS on a 45 minute long safari, the entire middle area (Camp Aventura) and it's load and unload platform were closed (along with the zipline thing) and it was a sh*tshow. That said... it was technically open. If the ride were at Cedar Point it probably would never have opened in that condition. Six Flags had no reservations about opening it knowing that if they somehow filled the queue the line would probably exceed 5 hours.

Are they still understaffed by Memorial Day weekend? I was hoping to head down then but if the staffing is really such an issue I may reconsider going that weekend. Wait times were not an issue for me as I would buy fastlane+, since I’ve heard that it’s a very busy weekend. It will also be my first, and most likely only visit to the park for a long time.

Alright, thanks for the help! Another question: should I buy fast lane in advance or wait until I get there to see how crowds are? I know they limit the amount of fast lanes sold per day and I don’t want to be in a situation where I can’t buy it, but I also don’t want to spend $100+ If for whatever reason there are no lines.

My wife and daughter usually have fanny packs for their crap and our keys. For my phone and wallet I either have cargos with secure pockets or other shorts/pants with deep pockets. With the deep pockets the pockets tighten up on their contents either grip or seal the phone in when in a seated position.

Try it out in the comfort of your own home. See if you can squeeze the pocketed items out like toothpaste. If it's difficult to do in a seated positions it's not likely to come out on any seated coaster I have been on (stand up's my be a different story). #trustmeimanengineer

I have two possible dates to head to Cedar Point, am looking for some input.

First option: May 29-30 (Tu-Wed)

Pros: Will be able to get FLP both days as it's the lowest tier

Cons: Only open until 8 (no night rides), might be understaffed

Second option: June 7-8 (Thu-Fri)

Pros: Operations will be in full swing by then, on Friday the park is open until 10, so night rides.

Cons: Will only be able to get FLP on Friday, and crowds will be larger

Any input? I'm sure I'll have a great time regardless.