TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I know Twisted Timbers was having sensor issues on the break run

I have a tough time believing the track, itself is damaged. Maybe something with the breaks.

this is the company I was referring to that was working on breaks/sensors

PSA: Brake is what stops the ride, break is what happened to the ride today.

I have a tough time believing the track, itself is damaged. Maybe something with the breaks.

You're absolutely right, sorry. I'm also going as fast as I can here because I'm on BREAK at work and only have a few minutes.

Edited by bf9

Not my picture, but you can see where the trains collided.

on a butt?

I mean, a good butt has stopped me in my tracks. . .but that could just be me.

I'm also going as fast as I can here because I'm on BREAK at work and only have a few minutes.

Uhhh... what's the rush? The ride broke and now its shut down indefinitely. Can everyone kick back and just chill the eff out for a bit? No one here has any idea what actually happened, and we may not even find out. Could be mechanical to operator error to anything in between. It hasn't been two hours and already the keyboard engineers have shown up with the rampant and baseless speculation.

Also shout out to everyone that actually went to Cedar Point on opening day, and then came here to complain about it. You guys haven't let me down. Seriously though, have you all learned nothing from this forum?

It's almost like when the brakes don't brake the ride, they break the ride.

I'm also going as fast as I can here because I'm on BREAK at work and only have a few minutes.

Uhhh... what's the rush? The ride broke and now its shut down indefinitely. Can everyone kick back and just chill the eff out for a bit? No one here has any idea what actually happened, and we may not even find out. Could be mechanical to operator error to anything in between. It hasn't been two hours and already the keyboard engineers have shown up with with rampant and baseless speculation.

Also shout out to everyone that actually went to Cedar Point on opening day, and then came here to complain about it. You guys haven't let me know down. Seriously though, have you all learned nothing from this forum?

A) Having information quickly helps people planning trips out there just to ride this ride

B) I'm an electrical engineer so while I don't have information, I can certainly make educated guesses

C) Autism. lol

A) Having information quickly helps people planning trips out there just to ride this ride

Having the CORRECT information helps people. The park will update the public on the status of the ride as soon as they decide it's appropriate to do so. While we don't know what kind of damage there may be to the track (or brakes/other mechanics under there) there is obvious damage to at least one train, its easy to assume that both of those trains are out of commission. Until the park releases more information, which could be a while, "educated guesses" are just that.

Twitter users are enraged today, obviously no one expected this to happen. It is opening weekend so hiccups and low staffing is to be expected. Not sure why people expected the operations of July 4th or anything.

People have the right to expect that a train full of people will not plow into a train full of people every day of the year, not just July 4.

Having the CORRECT information helps people. The park will update the public on the status of the ride as soon as they decide it's appropriate to do so. While we don't know what kind of damage there may be to the track (or brakes/other mechanics under there) there is obvious damage to at least one train, its easy to assume that both of those trains are out of commission. Until the park releases more information, which could be a while, "educated guesses" are just that.

Well, I've seen pictures with visible damage on two trains but fine. While I 100% respect everyone's opinions and rights to say what they want, this is why this site has the reputation it does. Next time I will not contribute what I know (not mad, just in a rush and don't have time to carefully word things as said before if it comes off that way).

While I 100% respect everyone's opinions and rights to say what they want, this is why this site has the reputation it does.

That we prefer facts over what some rando (that wasn't even there) thinks happened based on a handful of sh*tty photos? JFC.

Twitter users are enraged today, obviously no one expected this to happen. It is opening weekend so hiccups and low staffing is to be expected. Not sure why people expected the operations of July 4th or anything.

People have the right to expect that a train full of people will not plow into a train full of people every day of the year, not just July 4.

That’s why I said “No one expected this to happen” referring to SV, but I see people complaining that no other coasters are open, no food places are open, rides aren’t ready and more, which is what the whole post was referring to. Not Steel Vengeance’s incident.

I will be curious to see if this was operator error or if it was something mechanical. Like I said prior was this the first time they ran three trains while trying to do full operations with lines of 5 hours.

It would boggle my mind that IF during testing they weren't cycling three fully loaded trains non stop. How could they not?! That's how this ride will operate all season long!

I will be at CP two weeks from today. I get late Saturday through Tuesday. I was really looking for to Tuesday night and the ERT for SV because I am platinum. Just hoping that they get things figured out by then and that no one was hurt today.

I'm going to be there that same Tuesday, and I feel the same way.

even with the little information we have, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that i think i know the reason why this collision occurred. i believe that there was a slight miscalculation in the programming for the ride, meaning that the second Train A was dispatched, the block was shown as clear and Train B rolled in. however, Train A had just been dispatched, so it was only partway out of the block, when Train B rolled in and automatically moved to where it was programmed to go, leading it to bump into Train A. this would mean that they simply need to do some minor reprogramming to the block systems to tell it to not let the brake train advance until the station train was completely clear and on the (pre)lift block

-

i know that some of y'all may dislike the whole "guessing when we don't know much" but this a pretty logical explanation in my opinion and if you disagree that's totally fine

That’s why I said “No one expected this to happen” referring to SV, but I see people complaining that no other coasters are open, no food places are open, rides aren’t ready and more, which is what the whole post was referring to. Not Steel Vengeance’s incident.

Oh so it was a "Besides that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" type of question. Not less dumb.

My question is how much more testing is required once the issue is fixed in order to re-certify SV? Could this potentially take weeks even if the issue were fixed within a few days?

even with the little information we have, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that i think i know the reason why this collision occurred. i believe that there was a slight miscalculation in the programming for the ride, meaning that the second Train A was dispatched, the block was shown as clear and Train B rolled in. however, Train A had just been dispatched, so it was only partway out of the block, when Train B rolled in and automatically moved to where it was programmed to go, leading it to bump into Train A. this would mean that they simply need to do some minor reprogramming to the block systems to tell it to not let the brake train advance until the station train was completely clear and on the (pre)lift block

-

i know that some of y'all may dislike the whole "guessing when we don't know much" but this a pretty logical explanation in my opinion and if you disagree that's totally fine

I don't know anything. But how would that not be detected during testing?! Again, I don't know anything. But during testing they should be cycling three fully loaded trains for 12 hour straight. They should remove and add trains from the transfer track. They should simulate a July 4th-esque day. They wouldn't need to do nearly that much to realize the "programming" was incorrect too.

Didn't intiman have a similar issue with the superman coaster at sf(now Darian lake) When it opened?

SFNE's was the one that crashed and it was during the ride's second year.

Edited by Canobie Coaster

My question is how much more testing is required once the issue is fixed in order to re-certify SV? Could this potentially take weeks even if the issue were fixed within a few days?

i'm not sure about ohio, but in florida (relatively similar laws), it requires 100 cycles of each train to reopen a ride after extended downtime/non-fatal accident, and 500 cycles of each train before human riders can ride a brand new attraction. if they count this as a non-fatal accident which requires 100 cycles, it technically could open at dusk tomorrow. however, with all the scrutiny over ohio state fireball, there is a chance that officials could technically count the ride as never operating to the public due to the very low amount of cycles it ran before a major accident, and therefore the ride would have a proven "defect" during "testing" and they could force cedar point to restart their 500 cycles and then the ride probably wouldn't open for a while. however, even in the best of circumstances, i would not count on it opening tomorrow due to the fact that it'd look like they were disregarding safety to get their big money maker open, and after the whole schlitterbahn fiasco and ohio state fireball, i doubt they'd want to give off that appearence