TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I can’t wait, I already booked my stay at Hotel Breakers in late August! SV is going to be amazing! I don’t mind the long waits, it’s what is coaster enthusiasts do best . I waited 4 hours for Valravn on opening weekend!

Edited by rjr19

Not sure if I just missed this, or if it hasn't been posted. But hey, it's worth the share!!

CEDAR POINT MAKING CHANGES TO MAVERICK ROLLER COASTER IN TWO-YEAR PLAN

Things are taking a rowdy twist in Cedar Point's FrontierTown.

SANDUSKY, Ohio -- One of Cedar Point’s most popular attractions is getting an upgrade.

Park officials say the Maverick roller coaster will have new special effects added to its tunnel -- a process that will span two years.

“This year, we’re going to focus on enhanced audio and refurbishment of some of the lighting, but we plan on finishing the tunnel enhancements in the next two seasons,” Cedar Point spokesperson Tony Clark tells WKYC.

You might remember Maverick had special lighting, sound effects and fog in the tunnel when it first opened in 2007, but those elements haven’t been used for years.

“As we have in the past, we’re taking a look at our guest experience inside the park, and this includes our rides and attractions,” Clark continues. “While we can’t make every improvement we’d like to in one year or off-season, we’re making an effort to restore attractions in the form of paint, lighting and in this case, special effects that enhance the ride experience. I compare it to home improvement projects. We’d all like that full kitchen renovation, but we have to budget our time, money and resources to do it effectively.”

Does this mean Cedar Point could also reinstate the long-dead special effects inside the tunnels for Magnum XL-200?

“We are currently discussing all attractions and what, if any, elements we can replace, reproduce or enhance,” Clark says.

2018 marks the 50th anniversary of Cedar Point’s FrontierTown, which is also home to the new Steel Vengeance roller coaster.

Source.

Does this mean Cedar Point could also reinstate the long-dead special effects inside the tunnels for Magnum XL-200?

Hey don't forget the awesome (now super-retro-late 80s/early 90s sounding) space-age sound effects. And the red lights shining up through the tracks. Good times!

Not sure if I just missed this, or if it hasn't been posted. But hey, it's worth the share!!

SANDUSKY, Ohio -- One of Cedar Point’s most popular attractions is getting an upgrade.

Park officials say the Maverick roller coaster will have new special effects added to its tunnel -- a process that will span two years.

“This year, we’re going to focus on enhanced audio and refurbishment of some of the lighting, but we plan on finishing the tunnel enhancements in the next two seasons,” Cedar Point spokesperson Tony Clark tells WKYC.

You might remember Maverick had special lighting, sound effects and fog in the tunnel when it first opened in 2007, but those elements haven’t been used for years.

“As we have in the past, we’re taking a look at our guest experience inside the park, and this includes our rides and attractions,” Clark continues. “While we can’t make every improvement we’d like to in one year or off-season, we’re making an effort to restore attractions in the form of paint, lighting and in this case, special effects that enhance the ride experience. I compare it to home improvement projects. We’d all like that full kitchen renovation, but we have to budget our time, money and resources to do it effectively.”

“We are currently discussing all attractions and what, if any, elements we can replace, reproduce or enhance,” Clark says.

2018 marks the 50th anniversary of Cedar Point’s FrontierTown, which is also home to the new Steel Vengeance roller coaster.

Source.

Yeah it has been posted a handful of times since Winter Chill Out but it keeps getting overlooked, haha. Definitely exciting.

Source.

Yeah it has been posted a handful of times since Winter Chill Out but it keeps getting overlooked, haha. Definitely exciting.

I rode Maverick a couple times during the Lebron James Family Foundation Benefit last Friday and I must say that the reintroduction of effects inside the tunnel are a nice added touch, especially as you prepare for the second launch. I really like how Cedar Point is looking for ways to spruce up older attractions.

Edited by Intaman

I rode Maverick a couple times during the Lebron James Family Foundation Benefit last Friday and I must say that the reintroduction of effects inside the tunnel are a nice added touch, especially as you prepare for the second launch. I really like how Cedar Point is looking for ways to spruce up older attractions.

That's awesome to hear! What were the effects in the tunnel?

I am very excited about Steel Vengeance but I am worried as a bigger rider. I am wondering how accommodating if at all the ride is for bigger guest. For context, I can ride, MF, Mav., etc., but was turned away from TTD and WT. Given those facts, what are my chances of riding the coaster?

I attended the First Rider Benefit on Friday with DILinator and his kids. It was my first time doing an event like this!

Spoiler: this report contains a lot of unnecessary adverbs and may abuse the word literally.

Let me say that this ride is literally perfect. It lived up to every expectation and even blew them out of the water. Literally, the only bad thing I could see people say is it's "too intense." In which case, have fun riding Millennium "Forceless"! I can't recall any other coaster taking my breath away as much as this one. I came back into the station after every ride literally coughing for air (I do have asthma). The inversions whipped me more than I expected, and I hit my riding partner in the head both times I rode in the back right, and I actually came away with sore arms! Maybe not an arms up ride, after all? The airtime was forceful and amazing, but I didn't feel like it made my thighs sore at all. I rode once in the front and three times in the back. I'd say the airtime in the first half of the ride was more forceful in the front, but post-MCBR it was stronger in the back.

There, enough geeking out. You all will seriously have to come ride this ASAP! Or don't, and leave the line a little shorter for the rest of us

I'll let the pictures speak further.

IMG_8480.thumb.jpg.8f6ea465bd5faa858291207b3fcd4073.jpg

In case you didn't know, our ticket money was going to the Lebron James Family Foundation!

IMG_8481.thumb.jpg.e0fe9bf177d8f2c4d2c97f480a8d539c.jpg

Driving in, just about everything was testing. Love Magnum!

IMG_8482.thumb.jpg.8876964c8c42a47bc1dfb8b71c81953c.jpg

My first First Rider Benefit!

IMG_8483.thumb.jpg.47c783c44385ba8e4ef45bbeb8cbae04.jpg

They had this cool balloon art set up. Wish I could have taken it home to put up in my living room and piss off my housemates.

IMG_8488.thumb.jpg.67926eb7be86cf075badc20d4b314232.jpg

We watched it testing while eating our free food and drinking our free beer!

IMG_8490.thumb.jpg.6950cb6acc8228f3e85ebf1271badcd4.jpg

Just a bunch of Westerners...doing Western... things.

IMG_8492.thumb.jpg.60be1de979654117dd380225d8b8dab5.jpg

Apparently DILinator and his kids are too cool to pose with us Westerners

IMG_8497.thumb.jpg.196c2daf111d4cb2eda423d725aec59a.jpg

We raised over $54,000 for LJFF! I didn't know what LJFF did before the event, but they showed us a video that explained the cause more. As someone studying to become an educator, I really appreciated that the main focus of the foundation centered on educating and providing opportunities for otherwise disadvantaged youth.

IMG_8498.thumb.jpg.aba639727eda57e94b56b499cc46e519.jpg

There was sorta a line here. Sorta a glob of hungry enthusiasts.

IMG_8503.thumb.jpg.911b52847e13506d6f61c27819035ccf.jpg

Fireworks! It's just about time!

IMG_8511.thumb.jpg.9a3c8cf58f11a70e115aee46090500d7.jpg

Artsy Instagram shot

IMG_8515.thumb.jpg.597e327549c3bb29a3e4baa4f531bc9c.jpg

First riders. Such wow.

IMG_8525.thumb.jpg.3163103b1300a658bda9183040fb4b7a.jpg

There is a really cool place in the queue where you can imagine you're getting run over by Steel Vengeance. Or, if you ignore all the signs to not go in restricted areas, you really can get run over by Steel Vengeance!

IMG_8527.thumb.jpg.95f5b5e499cd0fdc736ee4135edbdcd6.jpg

This ride is even better at night! Are we technically the first night riders?

IMG_8529.thumb.png.0ba30f4f1f5d8a52407de1556d85cfe5.png

For PoGo players: I may have lost the Mean Streak gym to Mystic, but I finally finished my special research and caught this little guy! He was more difficult than I thought.

IMG_8530.thumb.jpg.b0b9b7c3521cb0ffca3817eb924ab658.jpg

Such art. Such Instagram. WOW.

IMG_8534.thumb.jpg.a074f36ca67d472eb88da5f79a72011c.jpg

Did you know that if you ride Steel Vengeance, you basically become blurry?

IMG_8537.thumb.jpg.a3034b5aec07e9ab3110ec3d7ea07ed5.jpg

A cool souvenir after an amazing night!

IMG_8538.thumb.jpg.865a461ac3fbf55fbc5d77f870c0a339.jpg

Proof that this is an item no one would care about except enthusiasts!

387303_7592521.thumb.jpg.4189bf1468863ed1b67431c6ce31b048.jpg

Only negative thing I have to say: I believe their camera placement is seriously not ideal. The person on the right rarely comes out clear, and every photo just overall looks awful. There could be many better placements of the camera! Is it difficult to have it moved? Because I seriously hope they move it!

ha!. . absolutely LOVE the Characters roaming around the coaster, that you can get pics with.

I hope they are still doing that when I get to the park later this summer

Has anyone watched the Coaster Radio podcast?

Mike Collins or E.B. asked Tony Clark where "Blackjack", Chess, and Wyatt were.

Tony responded something along the lines..."Well, Chess is riding the rails, you just rode Chess".

Mike Collins/E.B. take a second of silence... "Uhhhhhh, the dressed up characters"

Gave me a good chuckle.

Currently here for passholder preview and Steel Vengeance has been down for over an hour. We were lucky enough to get on the fourth train of the day out. The food has been great! And it’s perfect weather to grab a beer and walk around!

Currently here for passholder preview and Steel Vengeance has been down for over an hour. We were lucky enough to get on the fourth train of the day out. The food has been great! And it’s perfect weather to grab a beer and walk around!

Did they tell you why it was down?