TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I am heading to the park for the first time on June 9th and couldn’t be more stoked. I am a platinum pass holder with knotts as my home park. My girlfriend and I are certainly going to get fast lane plus passes. This is probably a dumb question but is there anywhere else to buy them at a cheaper price? I was looking on cedar points website and for the two of us it will be $250! Also, is it smarter to buy them now? I never even looked into them at knotts.

I look at the fast lane as just a part of the overall cost of the trip vs. an add on. It's expensive, but in the end you get out of it in one day what you would otherwise take several days to accomplish without it. Enjoy the overall atmosphere vs. spending your time in one queue to another. I'd personally pay upwards of $200 per person for the privilege and still consider it worth it as someone who lives far enough away to only visit the park once every few years at most.

To further add on that, I've never used a Fast Lane, Quick Queue, Flash Pass or anything ever in my life before, but when I do wind up going to Cedar Point, I will be doing it every day I plan on visiting the park. I know the park is HUGE and I want to maximize time and be able to reride things multiple times.

So, Steel Vengeance question for anyone lucky to get on it.... anybody know the on-ride photo location? There were also rumors of a Funpix video similar to Mystic Timbers. Anyone notice the location of either one? I know I wouldn't be able to find it floating (errrr mercilessly being thrown) around on that monster, nor would I want to focus on it my first few rides, but I know SOME of you may have been able to find it after 10 rides -- just curious.

I'm aware that it probably wasn't working or turned on yet, but figured the equipment would at least be staged/installed. Maybe.

Questions regarding Breakers:

Has anyone done a full day at the park on their arrival day when staying at Breakers? Website says you can pick up your park tickets starting at 8am. Any hassle picking up tickets then going in for Early Entry? Also, can we park back by the hotel on the arrival day or do we need to park up front then move the car back there after checking in? I'm assuming they have a normal 3-4pm check-in time, but I can't find it on the webpage.

Basically trying to decide on how to attack a Kings Island/Cedar Point two day binge on Fri/Sat July 27/28. Gameplan is Kings Island Friday, CP Saturday. Probably looking at a hotel around Findlay, OH on Friday night. That should put us in the room by 1am for a quick nap before heading to CP.

Breakers is steep ($250+/night) so thinking just Saturday there. That would get us Early Entry and just a short walk home after a late night (Midnight close on this date). Thinking this is worth the price for Saturday, but not worth the $150+ extra vs a hotel elsewhere for Friday. Also think we would benefit by crashing earlier on Friday night than gaining another hour in the room Saturday AM. Cost also comes into play since this needs to be on a Saturday so FL+ is non-negotiable.

Any input from those that have done the double?

So just decided my August trip this year is Cedar Point! Staying at their Express hotel, so I'll be sure to use the early ride time.

But question, what should my plan be to what rides to go to first? Cause I rarely ever go there, last time being in 2016 when Valravn opened and I just went clockwise around the park.

Also found out Chick Fil A is opening outside of the park after they closed the one inside the park, so I'm blessed.

^ Chick Fil A is back in the park for this season.

Traditionally we always started at Maverick for a few rides, then headed to Millennium Force during early entry, then hit Dragster at official park opening. Then do everything in the back of the park and work your way forward so you ride Raptor, Gatekeeper, etc. after 3 or 4 pm when it's slower up front.

Valravn is harder to catch at a "good" time but I'm not the best to give advice as we usually end up skipping it unless we have FL+. But Maverick and MF were always good choices for early entry.

Unfortunately with the opening of Steel Vengeance, more people are going to start in the back than ever before, so until we have some solid data the best plan of attack for this year is up in the air. I would think the earlier the better for Steel Vengeance... but how everything else fits in is yet to be seen.

Budget for FL+ and not worry about doing things in a certain order (though even the rides up front traditionally can get long FL+ lines in the morning)

^ First of all, THAT'S AMAZING.

I waited two hours for Valravn in 2016 (was okay for the wait? But the vest presses against my chest and it is annoying to breathe, cause I'm skinny, same with Gatekeeper's vest), and I might do FL+, not entirely sure though.

I'll definitely do Millennium Force and Steel Vengeance with early ride time, Maverick I skipped in 2016 (cause I wouldn't wait more than an hour for that ride), so I'll try to run and fit that in.

I LOVE Rougarou so when the park opens I'm doing that.

I realized that I mostly just do their coasters and ride like one or two flat rides, is that just me or?

But thanks for some info, appreciate it.

Regarding the on-ride photo spot there were a couple things I wanted to add...

First off, it's right after that 3rd inversion, as mentioned before, and that inversion, for whatever reason, is particularly disorienting! Multiple rides, particularly at night, when twisting through the lit up structure, upon exiting the inversion and structure, it appeared to me that we were just going sideways - and that's when the picture is taken! So it could definitely account for some interesting pictures there, as that's the point in the ride where you're probably the most discombobulated!

On the negative side, however, the camera doesn't take very good pictures... Out of 4 rides, I only came away with 1 picture marginally worth keeping. And that one only had half of my son face who was sitting next to me, when capturing my two kids in front of me as well. So there's apparently a "hole" in the picture stream there. Also, when arms are up (which, of course, they always should be! ), faces are blocked VERY easily! So if you want to get your picture, and have it turn out, I recommend NOT putting your arms up, at least at that point.

1 night later, I'm still on a bit of a high from riding SV! It's such a game changer, as has been said often, and is more than worth all accolades it's received, and is going to receive!

I thought I'd share this pretty cool thing we got - particularly cool for those that miss Mean Streak a little (not me, to be clear, but it seems some people do! lol)

177025369_SVWood.jpg.4efbf4aeb304f8e3fb03cd9f8b0b9014.jpg1643698876_SVWood2.jpg.4f6d5827e8338f62c041019ccdaaf191.jpgAn actual piece of wood from Mean Steak, with a SV plate attached to it!

Nice to know what didn't end up getting reused for SV, wasn't just chucked into a landfill, but turned into something kind of cool - something MS certainly didn't achieve in many years!

I might do FL+, not entirely sure though.

Allow me to convince you. Exhibit A:

I waited two hours for Valravn in 2016

And Exhibit B:

Maverick I skipped in 2016 (cause I wouldn't wait more than an hour for that ride)

Do not go to Cedar Point and wait 2 hours for anything. Do not go to Cedar Point and not ride Maverick. You're going in August, so you already know there's gonna be mega lines. Budget for the Fast Lane+.

giphy.webp

I might do FL+, not entirely sure though.

Allow me to convince you. Exhibit A:

I waited two hours for Valravn in 2016

And Exhibit B:

Maverick I skipped in 2016 (cause I wouldn't wait more than an hour for that ride)

LMFAO!

^ That reminds me that darnit, I should have had some flavour of Toft's!

I went into the place last June during CoasterMANIA!, and only took a photo of

an "interesting flavour" I saw, but I never asked about it. My loss.

The SV sundae reads/looks great! Hope somebody posts a "Review" of it..... soon please soon!

IMG_3774.JPG.b5bf8f1888362dd450df3acae0bd930e.JPG

June 2, 2016. I knew where the place was....

IMG_3775.JPG.0e31d8564ac630c78d21ee888dd29c66.JPG

But this was the only flavour that intrigued me.... and it's not the black cherry. :p

If anyone was watching the webcams today, you probably saw some life at the park. Today was friends and family day, kind of a "practice" day for employees, with full-time staff's friends and family in attendance. It's only a select few rides for just a few hours but it's great for all of the crews. And today, Steel Vengeance was open!

They were handing out boarding time cards upon arrival at the park entrance. At the ride, they were accepting all riders, regardless of the time on the card, but you HAD to have the card to enter. This was probably just practice for the next three days, when Passholder Preview is going on. So unfortunately I only got one ride but WOW what a ride it was!

I waited close to an hour, as nearly everyone in the park was at the ride. Every ride, including Millennium, Magnum, Maverick, were walk-ons with empty seats. SV was also only running two trains for tonight's event.

The entire plaza was well done. Great atmosphere (themed music!) and overall very charming. Waiting in line was rather unique. The entire ride surrounds you and it's almost surreal watching the trains careen through every maneuver. The queue is right next to the bunny hills at the end of the ride, also right next to the bottom of the drop so you get some fantastic views. One thing I loved was how quiet everything got once a train hit the brakes but the other train hadn't left the station yet. Because you would always hear the lift start up when a train was dispatched and everyone would look up at the drop in anticipation. It was just ominous. Steel Vengeance is a beast, and it knows it.

For my first ride, I was placed in the very back row. How lucky is that?! I'm 5'11" and a stocky guy but the restraint was very comfortable. The lap bar rested in the perfect place and didn't feel awkward at all. Also, my legs weren't even in contact with the shin bar. I love this train! Something that wasn't ready for media day was the new sound effects in the station! Every time a train is dispatched, they play a recording of the character-specific train. Just a silly, themed "enjoy your ride" type thing.

I have to admit, it takes a LOT to scare me or make me nervous. I wasn't nervous for this ride. But about 2/3 of the way up the lift hill, I started getting a little freaked out. The lift is pretty fast and before I knew it, I was whipped over the top with amazing ejector air time. The drop felt so long and was so intense. The speed hill after it was amazing, the first airtime will was fantastic... Then came the outward banked turn.

WHAT IS THIS?! It's a totally bizarre feeling that actually makes you wonder if you're going to fly out of the train. The next few elements were great, especially the twisted snake dive, if that's what it's called. Riding through that in the back row felt so... illegal! The next element I want to bring up is the airtime hill after the mid course that dives back into the structure. This element was very unique, oddly enough. The hills before it were quick pops of air but this one was more sustained and it gets stronger as it drops into the structure. It was like intense floater air that turned into ejector air. I can't even believe how well engineered that was.

The rest of the ride was insane as expected and reported. The bunny hills at the end were relentless. When the ride stopped, I was shaking. My heart was pounding for several minutes afterward. The entire ride is just a blur to me. I can't believe something this crazy actually exists. The bar is now set so high that I worry for future coasters!!! Lol. I rode Maverick right after SV and thought, "Meh." Rode Magnum after that and it just felt like a standard mine train.

Steel Vengeance is life changing. A number one ride, without a doubt!!!

30171539_10156233922348476_2981965824347328514_o.thumb.jpg.33821b4f6b8f0b0c8c69aca822b418bc.jpg

30420113_10156233928248476_3333251835621416246_o.thumb.jpg.0e919df2166b9384d282514b2477c67e.jpg

30424834_10156233927773476_906275671401594880_o.thumb.jpg.1c40bdba963bd52549ef7219cc280a52.jpg

30806164_10156233928053476_3367591647697362367_o.thumb.jpg.be031bdc466997e8cfedea678d2b20cd.jpg

30821950_10156233919148476_8444214326460719372_o.thumb.jpg.e3b0715a7f1fbd4c6a9a0ae93d6bc2df.jpg