TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Any updates on the new boardwalk/beach area that's being opened up down by Wicked Twister and GateKeeper?

Good question actually... that got lost in the hype for Steel Vengeance. If you look on the live stream, you can see the boardwalk almost complete, and can see them doing something with the area where the stadium used to be.

On a side note, Cedar Point has released a real picture (not a "rustic" one) of the trains on their Twitter.

IMG_0033.thumb.JPG.96b7e4eaad186f1ea57f4b81f09a933a.JPG

^^I don't think I've seen a ride with this level of hype since Millennium Force. It's unreal.

On that note, I think there's a strong likelihood that preview night will be incredibly cold and we'll see some hilarious bitching from people with entirely unrealistic expectations. I fully expect this thing to be "OMFG AMAZING", but I'm really interested to see if people can maintain their sanity when this thing opens and not do what they did when they got one ride on Twisted Timbers on a 38 degree morning and blew it up on Twitter.

I feel like since people judge every coaster based on its POV then I am perfectly allowed to rank this ride as my #1 anywhere in the world, even though I've never ridden it. I mean, LOOK AT IT. Sans an underground tunnel or something it's everything one could ever want in a coaster. If anyone bitches it will probably just be them saying they didn't fit in it or that it's too long and too intense.

^^I don't think I've seen a ride with this level of hype since Millennium Force. It's unreal.

On that note, I think there's a strong likelihood that preview night will be incredibly cold and we'll see some hilarious bitching from people with entirely unrealistic expectations. I fully expect this thing to be "OMFG AMAZING", but I'm really interested to see if people can maintain their sanity when this thing opens and not do what they did when they got one ride on Twisted Timbers on a 38 degree morning and blew it up on Twitter.

Seriously. If it can still snow in the Cincy area as of last night (snow still on the ground right now as I type this), I can't imagine how cold it is up there. Hoping the weather gets itself off enough that we don't see any more of that white stuff in three weeks.

3 weeks from today!!! I finally get to ride this amazing creation with my kiddos (and rawkincoaster)!!!

I feel like since people judge every coaster based on its POV then I am perfectly allowed to rank this ride as my #1 anywhere in the world, even though I've never ridden it. I mean, LOOK AT IT. Sans an underground tunnel or something it's everything one could ever want in a coaster. If anyone bitches it will probably just be them saying they didn't fit in it or that it's too long and too intense.

THIS. I always maintain some level of reserve when waiting to ride new coasters so I don't end up disappointed since my expectations were too high, but I honestly don't see myself not liking this thing.

Also of note all the RMCs I've been on have started their premiere seasons out running slower/having operational glitches. Joker opening weekend was a nightmare and let's not even go there with Lightning Rod. I fully expect this thing will not run as well on opening as it will later in the season, or even next year, and I fully expect people to b*tch about how it's too slow or not forceful enough or whatever, ignoring the fact that many of RMCs started the same way but ended up better/faster in time (i.e. Storm Chaser's finale).

I'll be mainly disappointed if I spent $75 to be there at the first-rider event just to have it be down the whole night or too cold to operate. At least the money goes to charity.

Tickets are now on sale for Brew & BBQ... also menus and breweries are listed at the bottom of the FAQ.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/events/brew-and-bbq

It certainly appears that they are trying to appeal to a wider audience with their beer selections. It seems as if there are way more shandy's, flavored and lighter beers than in the past. Preferring IPA's and stronger beers, this is kind of a disappointment, but there is still a pretty decent selection.

Also, more food options is always a good thing!

PS - To the person that mentioned liquor, no they do not serve it at this event. The only place to get hard liquor is at the tavern that Bill and Bert mentioned (although it's really watered-down moonshine, wine and craft beer) or Melt. Otherwise you need to go outside of the park to the Breakers (TGIFriday's), Famous Dave's, Bay Harbor or to a restaurant off the peninsula.

Edited by Philrad71

why are those front wheels uncovered upfront like that? Just curious.

Maybe it's part of the new RMC wheel design combined with the theme of this train?? Given it doesn't have a longer zero car like Twisted Timbers it leaves the wheels exposed.

I'm thinking that the wait is going to be worth the best 3rd stretch of any ride out there. Any that come to mind really pale in comparison.

And speaking of waiting. My son and I have walked by the old MS admiring how much fun it was to look at, but we always brought up giving RMC a blank check to go hog crazy on it. That was back when we first rode El Toro (2009?) I really can't remember. When the first photos came out confirming an RMC crane on-site...Weeeeee!

Coaster nerd heaven. Props to Cedar Fair management.

Sorry Robb. I figured because the video was filmed from inside the park by employees (that all had their cameras out) that they were given permission or authorization to do so. It looks like someone is getting in trouble at CP...

The only Cedar Point employee who is allowed to post anything is Tony Clark. And yes, I'm sure there will be some jobs compromised for that video. Pretty stupid decision if you ask me.

Just for future reference: all Cedar Fair employees sign an agreement saying that they will not publish any pictures or videos from within the park on social media unless given permission to do so. So if it’s not coming from the PR department (or a guest during the regular season), it most likely is violating park policy.

Just for future reference: all Cedar Fair employees sign an agreement saying that they will not publish any pictures or videos from within the park on social media unless given permission to do so. So if it’s not coming from the PR department (or a guest during the regular season), it most likely is violating park policy.

That is the case with all parks. It would be one thing if the park was open and the video was taken from public areas, but when a park is closed that is still considered "private property" until the park is open to the public.

I'm not a fan of the trains, but honestly it isn't important and everything else about the ride looks so well put together. The second section of the coaster looks incredible, and with the structure surrounding the track it's going to be hard telling when you're the right way up or not.

I feel like since people judge every coaster based on its POV then I am perfectly allowed to rank this ride as my #1 anywhere in the world, even though I've never ridden it.

Good idea...

I mean, LOOK AT IT. Sans an underground tunnel or something it's everything one could ever want in a coaster. If anyone bitches it will probably just be them saying they didn't fit in it or that it's too long and too intense.

I have little doubt that Steel Vengeance will be very well received, but pinions will still vary. Look at I305 and Skyrush.

Storm Chaser has been my only RMC conversion so far and it would be far from the top of my list if I cared to have a list (never). Granted, Storm Chaser is generally received as one of the lesser favored conversions. The back half of mechanical bull style bucking is not pleasant for me after a ride or two. Similarly, Goliath is a great roller coaster, but it never comes to mind when thinking about my favorites, unlike Outlaw Run.

Expressing preferences isn't always one in the same with bitching.

Not going to lie.. they looked better with the retro filter.

I'm sure they'll look even better than both pictures in person.

Edited by prozach626

Not Steel Vengeance related, but I have a question: If I got a CF Platinum Pass on Cedar Point's website, does my first CF visit have to be to Cedar Point or can I go to Kings Island and have it processed there?

The photo ID card can be processed at any Cedar Fair park according to the website.

Not Steel Vengeance related, but I have a question: If I got a CF Platinum Pass on Cedar Point's website, does my first CF visit have to be to Cedar Point or can I go to Kings Island and have it processed there?

Seconding that you can activate it at any of the CF parks. However, if you already have a platinum pass then once you buy a 2018 one it automatically activates the old pass. In the checkout for 2018 platinum passes it tells you to NOT throw away your old pass. I tested it and my pass said invalid on the app prior to purchasing... then I checked my Carowinds app 60 seconds after I hit "buy" and my old pass reactivated immediately, no need to stand in any lines. I went to KD the next morning and had no issues. Pretty snazzy!