TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Ha! I'm trying to count the number of coasters in that shot, too! I come up with (I think) 8. Anybody else?

SteVen

TTD

Gatekeeper

Wicked Twister

Millenium Force

Valravn

Raptor

Mine Train

I think that's the # of what I can make out. Maverick is beyond the right of the shot.

And Gemini and Magnum are beyond the left of it. The Snoopy coasters are totally hidden.

Blue Streak I can barely make out (it's an age and eyes thing), if it can be seen through all the others.

P.S. The photo itself......

^Oh shoot, I thought "something" was there, and I was totally missing it.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Then again, sorry, but I wasn't that impressed with Rougarou, lol. I

think both Bert and I were a little concerned, when it started acting

up in the load station, and my floor part went down, but Bert's didn't.

Then, it reversed itself. Mine came back up, and his went down.

Hmmm. We got off & then got on later. But...meh.

^ And on second look, I did think I saw the corkscrew itself, there!

So that would be 10 at least, one could see there, huh? Cool!

IMG_3795.JPG.26f55e5e1d6c6286f7a7ad388983c68f.JPG

Bert contemplating riding Rougarou the next day. Not a happy ride, it turned out. June 2, 2017 CoasterMANIA! Day.

I few of my buddies are interested in going to Cedar Point, maybe sometime in May. I see that only Fridays are open until 10. We may hit up a full Thursday from 10-8 and Fast Lane Plus it on Friday. How are crowds typically on Thursdays Fridays in May? I know the rest of the summer is packed.

Thanks.

May is definitely the best time to give go for short lines. You’re running s slightly smaller risk of more downtime and crews still being trained, but overall I’d definitely recommend it.

Working at MF last season I never saw more than 45 minutes outside of Saturday afternoons until June. Weekdays in May usually capped at 20-30.

And let's not forget about the weather in May on Lake Erie - bring everything that you have. Rain Poncho, winter coat, shorts/flip flops, etc.

Weather is always a crap shoot during May, but I can attest to the short lines during the weekdays - especially if the weather is cool, or there is a chance of rain in the forecast.

I few of my buddies are interested in going to Cedar Point, maybe sometime in May. I see that only Fridays are open until 10. We may hit up a full Thursday from 10-8 and Fast Lane Plus it on Friday. How are crowds typically on Thursdays Fridays in May? I know the rest of the summer is packed.

Thanks.

May is a great time to go, just avoid the front row on the rides, gotta love muffleheads...

Thanks.

Weekdays in May are always safe bets to avoid crowds. Just don't underestimate the number of school groups. While waits will still be less the 15 mins for almost everything but Millie, TTD and Maverick there are just a lot of annoying teens around.

I would honestly hold off on the Fast Lane Plus until you see the crowd level. Unless you are dead set on getting it regardless. Even many Friday's in May can be dead. Especially after 6pm or so.

As a Cleveland resident I can confirm that you should pack for anything from 40s and snow flurries to 90's without a cloud in the sky in May. You never really know what you'll get, and weather on the Peninsula can vary from the main land quite a bit too.

We'll probably get FL+ on Friday so we can say F*** everyone and ride whenever we want. Prices aren't available yet, but I'm assuming they'll be $120 for a Friday early season?

I know when I went to WoF once in May Beer Man was nowhere to be found, since the park was loaded with school groups. Is that an issue at CP? I know Beer Man is everywhere during peak season.

We'll probably get FL+ on Friday so we can say F*** everyone and ride whenever we want. Prices aren't available yet, but I'm assuming they'll be $120 for a Friday early season?

I know when I went to WoF once in May Beer Man was nowhere to be found, since the park was loaded with school groups. Is that an issue at CP? I know Beer Man is everywhere during peak season.

If anyone in your group has a Platinum Pass you can get them all for the Fastlane price too. So you may actualy be looking at the $70-$90 range. However, this deal is only available in park. Also you can buy the wrist bands at any gift shop. Skip the long line at the front of the park and go into a gift shop to buy them with almost no wait.

As to the beer question, I'm pretty sure they sell it all season. If they don't have the random carts throughout the park staffed you can at least go into places like Melt, Red Garter, etc for a tasty adult beverage.

^ Agreed about the beer.

Here is who should be selling beer in May:

The Red Garter Saloon (draft, canned and bottled beer and other flavored crap like Lime-A-Rita's)

Lusty Lil's (draft beer)

Melt (only place within the park with a full bar)

Famous Dave's (full bar)

TGIFriday's in the Breakers (full bar)

Chickie and Pete's (beer)

Buckaroo's Burritos (draft beer)

Tomu Sushi & Hibachi in the Breakers (full bar)

Other locations that may or may not be open:

The food stand across from Gatekeepers exit (bottled beers including Great Lakes)

Stand near the Luminosity stage (beer and wine)

Brat and beer stand across from MF's entrance (beer)

Beer stand near the entrance to Cedar Creek Mine Ride (20 oz cans of Heineken, Yuengling, Lime-A-Rita's, etc)

The Frontier Trail Pub (craft bottled beer and wine)

Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything, but just typing all that made me realize that I need a beer.

I'm planning a trip to the park second week of June and like prozach626, I'll probably do Thursday (7th) without FLP and Friday (8th) with, as I really want to get re-rides on SV. So I'll be good in terms of crowds on Friday, but anyone have experience with the crowds on an early Thursday in the summer such as the one I'm going on?

^ Agreed about the beer.

The Red Garter Saloon (draft, canned and bottled beer and other flavored crap like Lime-A-Rita's)

Lusty Lil's (draft beer)

Famous Dave's (full bar)

The food stand across from Gatekeepers exit (bottled beers including Great Lakes)

Beer stand near the entrance to Cedar Creek Mine Ride (20 oz cans of Heineken, Yuengling, Lime-A-Rita's, etc)

Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything, but just typing all that made me realize that I need a beer.

You, sir, are a hero! I made this account just to thank you for your handy list!

I had priced out a trip to CP for the four of us including 3 nights at Breakers, two full day passes, one twilight pass for the first night, and two all day meal plans for right around $350, which almost seemed too good to be true. But, that didn't include Fast Lane Passes that we may need on Friday, gas, or food for the first night. Inevitable that would probably include 10-12 beers total after a few beers each night, at 10 dollars a pop, over the three nights. With unexpected costs, I could easily see this as a rock bottom cost of $600/person. I also started figuring pros and cons and it seemed like there were a lot of unpredictable variables. It would also require four of us cram into one room.

I weighed this against King's Island (5-6 hours away) and SF Great America (5 hours away). Our best option seemed to be King's Island on a Saturday where they're open from 10am-12am including Tickets, fast lane passes, all day meal plan, parking, fun pix, and gas all for right at $200 + beer cost. I usually don't do meal plans, but I'm trying to make it easy on our group since this is our first 'guys trip. Being that this is our maiden voyage and one of the guys is saving to buy a house this summer we decided to go with Kings Island. I'm just happy that all of my friends are really starting to take interest in this.

My brother in law just kept talking about how we need to go to Cedar Point, Six Flags Over Georgia, Holiday World, Carowinds, Etc. He and my Sister in law went with us to KI's Haunt last year and he's hooked after rides like Banshee, Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, and Beast compared to our local selection at SFSTL. He works in Federal Law enforcement and he wanted me to fly out for the weekend for his work trip to DC so that we could go ride I305. haha

I appreciate all of the information about what the park is like in May. I might use this for next season after I sell everyone further with KI. Seems like May might be a time where Emily and I will be able to go with my bro/sister in law without cramming the room with a couple air mattresses for a dudes trip... It would make the cost much more tolerable, as I feel like we really took a beating in 2016 when we stayed at Breakers for 3 nights. Splitting the cost in half for the room would be great.

Edit-

If you go on the right Friday there's Brews & BBQ. Last year it started 5/19. $20 in advance, and they have a ton of craft beers to choose from. Won't be available on Thursday.

Annnd then I just read this and now I have instant regrets. Thanks, Andrew...

If you go on the right Friday there's Brews & BBQ. Last year it started 5/19. $20 in advance, and they have a ton of craft beers to choose from. Won't be available on Thursday.

Seriously though, you've probably made the right decision. If the cost goes too high, unless your friends are really into it, they may back off. Better to take a smaller trip and ensure everyone has a good time. Personally I think Kings Island is a better park anyway. Cedar Point has some awesome rides, but food and atmosphere are both much better at Kings Island, and it's a far more relaxing pace. That said, I've never taken a trip to just one of those parks. Too easy to combine.

^ Agreed about the beer.

Lusty Lil's (draft beer)

Famous Dave's (full bar)

You, sir, are a hero! I made this account just to thank you for your handy list!

Why thank you!

I just want to point out that I didn't make it to the park last year, so some of these might be gone or they might be relocated elsewhere in the park.

Guess that I need to get out there this year so that I can update the list!

I had priced out a trip to CP for the four of us including 3 nights at Breakers, two full day passes, one twilight pass for the first night, and two all day meal plans for right around $350, which almost seemed too good to be true. But, that didn't include Fast Lane Passes that we may need on Friday, gas, or food for the first night. Inevitable that would probably include 10-12 beers total after a few beers each night, at 10 dollars a pop, over the three nights. With unexpected costs, I could easily see this as a rock bottom cost of $600/person. I also started figuring pros and cons and it seemed like there were a lot of unpredictable variables. It would also require four of us cram into one room.

Edit-

If your plans are still in flux, I would consider what Andrew has brought to light and try to go that week (probably May 16 to 19? if that's what you were originally thinking?). If you book through the CP website it looks like you can stay in a cottage at Lakehouse Point for 45 bucks more than Breakers. You'll all have your own beds, albeit a bunk beds for 2 of you and a futon for another, and you can bring food to grill at your cottage while you have some beers that you brought with you for a buck apiece while. I'm coming up with 164.09 apiece for the cottage itself, and 83.20 per person for 3 full days of tickets (247.29 apiece).

If you do 2 days of Brews and BBQ at 20 bucks per day you're at 287.29 apiece, essentially replacing the 2 days of dining pass(68 per person) and 10 dollar beers with Brews and BBQ and food and beer you brought yourself. In fact considering the beer it would probably be considerably cheaper and still gives you the in-park beer chill time.

Knowing how much you enjoy KI, if you don't have a platinum pass, you could just do that for yourself instead of spending the 83.20 on your park tickets to CP. Using the discount code for having a season pass brings the cost of the room down 80 bucks, but then it doesn't show the included ticket options. I would have to imagine you should still be able to get the tickets at the reduced rate though. Even if you can't get the reduced price tickets if you use the pass discount, I would imagine the pass would be worth it if you spend 3 days at KI/WoF/wherever else over the course of the season. It will also give you the chance to buy Fastlane Plus for the price of Fastlane, saving you probably 30 bucks apiece on that.

I looked pretty extensively at some options the last couple years and thought I'd suggest what I found. And if you are set on KI maybe it's some stuff to consider for next year. Having stayed at Breakers, Sandcastle, and Lighthouse Point before though, I will say I preferred Lighthouse the most, because of the flexibility for sleeping arrangements, having the grill, deck overlooking the lake to chill out, and not having to worry about whether you and your friends may be making too much noise for the rooms on either side of you if you do stay up and have some beers after you get back from the park for the night.

Brews & BBQ is only Fri-Sun, and only in the evening. Platinum Passholders get in early, like around 4 iirc. Everyone else is like 5 to 8 or something. It's not exactly a dining plan replacement, but definitely is a good meal. Each plan is 15 tickets too, which to give you an idea of value translates to a full plate of food and 4 beers, though of course you're able to spend your tickets how you wish. It's a hell of a deal.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst