TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Quick trip planning question. I'm planning to get to Cedar Point the day before Coastermania and ride some stuff until closing, which is 10PM that day. Looking for some late night food after closing, and I'm looking at Quaker Steak or Thirsty Pony. Haven't been to either. Both places just have their winter hours up right now, but I would assume they'd want to stay open after Cedar Point, right? I'm staying at the Hojo across the street from Thirsty Pony, so both of these are in walking distance. Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations are welcome.

Quick trip planning question. I'm planning to get to Cedar Point the day before Coastermania and ride some stuff until closing, which is 10PM that day. Looking for some late night food after closing, and I'm looking at Quaker Steak or Thirsty Pony. Haven't been to either. Both places just have their winter hours up right now, but I would assume they'd want to stay open after Cedar Point, right? I'm staying at the Hojo across the street from Thirsty Pony, so both of these are in walking distance. Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations are welcome.

hotel Breakers has a Domino's pizza in the lobby entrance to the right of the main lobby.

if you wanted pizza.. could walk over there, order, and eat at the tables there (near the ice Cream place. .that will be closed).

I thought I remembered someone, maybe coasterbill, saying that Thirsty Pony is not open when the park closes.

I love Quaker Steak. One thing I miss about living up there. They have really good wings. Usually on Tuesday's they are all you can eat. Great flavors also. I prefer Cajun and the Louisiana Lickers.

Found the website for Thirsty Pony...

http://rainwaterpark.com/eat/thirstypony/?p=twelcome

Hmm, the site has opening times but not closing....

I thought I remembered someone, maybe coasterbill, saying that Thirsty Pony is not open when the park closes.

Okay, that may not be an option then. Anyone know if Quaker Steak is open past 10PM in the summer? Their website says they close at 10PM on Thursdays, but that's winter hours.

I love Quaker Steak. One thing I miss about living up there. They have really good wings. Usually on Tuesday's they are all you can eat. Great flavors also. I prefer Cajun and the Louisiana fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo.

Excellent, I love good wings. I'll be in Sandusky just on Thursday and Friday, though.

^Many other Quaker State locations (including those in Cleveland & Cincinnati) are open til 11pm M-TH and FRi/Sat til Midnight or 1AM normally. Not sure about the one in Sandusky when CP is open. You may need to check back in a few months to see any update or you could even call the location to find out what their hours are usually when you plan to go.

Thirsty Pony closes pretty early, and if you're planning on making a late night, forget it.

Honestly, the best option to eat at after park close is usually TGI Fridays, who stays open late (like till 2AM on weekends). Dianna's is around but ehhhhh

I've been going to Coastermania for a few years now. We always end up going to Cameos for pizza following our Thursday night at the Point. If Coastermania is June 1st, then the park closes at 8pm on Thursday. Even if it's a week later, the park still closes at 8.

I think Cameos is open until 10pm. And since you're already downtown, a trip to Tofts Ice Cream is a must!

http://www.cameopizza.com/

^ What's good there?

We got their boneless wings and some kind of fry sampler that had 3-4 different varieties of fries and dipping sauce. It sounds very basic, but the execution was great. The burgers and pizzas looked good. It was very good bar food, which we crave when we go hard at parks. The beer was also ice cold and served in frosty mugs.

Our first trip there eight years prior was much of the same experience, so that has to say something for consistency. I don't want to leave you with the impression you're passing up something unforgettable, but if you're looking for a solid carb loaded meal and a cold beer give it a try. It's only special to Emily and I, because it's one of the things we've related to the Cedar Point experience, as with Roosters and King's Island, or Lou Malnati's and Six Flags Great America.

Basic with good execution is ideal for me. Whenever I travel, I like to eat at places I don't have at home. Chains are okay if it's a chain I don't have at home, but local restaurants are better. Doesn't have to be fancy; if it's a place that does something well, then I'll enjoy it. On Thursday I'm driving 8 hours from St. Louis to Sandusky, then about 4 hours at the park, so it'll be good to relax after all that.

^ It is very convenient and (obviously) better than most of the park food.

Like Zach, I think that we splurged on some type of fried appetizer platter when we visited several years ago and it was good for what it was (pub food). And it seemed like they had a pretty extensive beer list, which is always a plus.

Although it seemed like I recall getting wings there a long time ago and they (gasp) battered them before frying. Not that I don't mind deep fried chicken, but deep frying and then applying Buffalo wing sauce to chicken wings just felt all sorts of wrong.

They may have very well changed to traditional wings since that time as that was actually before Buffalo wings were even popular outside of Buffalo, so I gave them credit for trying to do something different. But those were seriously not very good.

They still have the breaded wings if you want them (they license Fricker's wings and equipment). Fricker's themselves probably didn't come up with that either - my guess is that one of them wandered into a Hooters and decided to copy them.

And it seemed like they had a pretty extensive beer list, which is always a plus.

tenor.gif?itemid=7666771

Although it seemed like I recall getting wings there a long time ago and they (gasp) battered them before frying. Not that I don't mind deep fried chicken, but deep frying and then applying Buffalo wing sauce to chicken wings just felt all sorts of wrong.

Ha, you are from Buffalo! Most of the wings around here are fried first, and a lot of them obviously are pretty terrible. One good place is Harbell's in downtown Springfield. They flash fry then dip in sweet BBQ sauce. Some of the best wings I've ever had, but obviously not Buffalo style.

^ The website claims that they serve a 120 oz beer, but I think that it might be in one of those tubular tap-style deals where you can share (but only if you want).

Yes, serving breaded wings around these parts would probably trigger torches and pitchforks! But I don't mind experimenting with different styles and flavors as long as they are properly cooked - I think that I would really like the style of BBQ wings that you described!

There used to be a place in Buffalo (Lafayette Tap Room) that deep-fried the wings, shook them in smoky BBQ sauce and then charred them on the grill. They must have also marinated them in something before cooking because it was interesting that they were crispy, but would also fall off the bone! They were some of the best that I have ever had, despite them not being the traditional kind that most Buffalonian's are used to.

It's a shame that when they completely restored the Lafayette Hotel (which looks amazing BTW), that they didn't at least bring back those wings - they were to die for!

Edit - I just noticed the attached on the park's website. Is this something new? For around $150, I think that's a pretty sweet deal!

Capture.JPG.4e063251677eb365164d347a81f759ed.JPG

Yeah, that does seem to be quite the deal, especially for Cedar Point

On a side note I may be going to Cedar Point's Winter chill out this year, and I have 2 questions...

-Is the Winter Chill out only for Passholders, or is it open to everyone?

-Does anyone recommend a particular time to go during the day? (Early Morning or a later time?)