TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

It's just amazing how this one basically one-ups Valravn's entire selling point and it's not even the most remarkable element on the ride.

Eh, I still contend that the holding brake is the dive coaster's biggest selling point. That's the thing that people see from the midway and get hyped up / freaked out about. If simply having a vertical drop that's better than Valravn's drop took away a ride's selling point nobody would have ever cared about Valravn at all since Dragster has a vertical drop that's basically twice the height.

Honestly if you have a fear of heights (as many people do), Valravn might be the most terrifying ride in the park since you hang on the restraints looking straight down a 200+ foot drop. These things don't scare enthusiasts so I think we forget how terrifying something like that is to a large percentage of the population.

We were hanging out in the Sheikra area for Howl O Scream last night and people in the queue and near the ride were freaking out telling their friends how scared it was being held at the top.

Fair point. It's very true that I forgot how much of a psychological factor the holding brake is for some people.

And Valravn still has a longer vertical drop.

This drop looks like the Goliath drop on steroids. This might be the part of the ride I"m looking forward to most, but I can't say for sure because of that outward banked turn, that second inversion, and the ride through the structure. So much epicness in one ride.

Steel Vengeance - making Valravn irrelevant.

For those who like to take everything literally, they're obviously very different rides that do very different things. It's just amazing how this one basically one-ups Valravn's entire selling point and it's not even the most remarkable element on the ride.

Eh, I still contend that the holding brake is the dive coaster's biggest selling point. That's the thing that people see from the midway and get hyped up / freaked out about. If simply having a vertical drop that's better than Valravn's drop took away a ride's selling point nobody would have ever cared about Valravn at all since Dragster has a vertical drop that's basically twice the height.

Honestly if you have a fear of heights (as many people do), Valravn might be the most terrifying ride in the park since you hang on the restraints looking straight down a 200+ foot drop. These things don't scare enthusiasts so I think we forget how terrifying something like that is to a large percentage of the population.

We were hanging out in the Sheikra area for Howl O Scream last night and people in the queue and near the ride were freaking out telling their friends how scared it was being held at the top.

The thing about Valravn I don't like is it doesn't really stop at the top like Sheikra and Griffen. Both completely stop at the top for 3 seconds... It does have the best view with Sheikra coming in a close second.

^ ^ & ^

Pretty sure all dive coasters "stop" at the top. (Not that any of them actually come to a complete stop. They just slow wayyy down.

That being said, having been on both SheiKra and Griffon hundreds of times each, then riding Valravn... Valravn does the same pause, stop, hold or whatever you want to call it that the other two do.

People like Dragster better because of the restraints, the view, the smoother ride and the fact that it's at the theme park fanboy capital of the universe.

These are the reasons I most often hear for why people prefer TTD as well. I haven't ever ridden KK anywhere but in the front, so I can't speak to the lack of smoothness, but it sounds like that's a valid complaint, from what I've heard. However, while the restraints ARE better on TTD, I don't think they make that big of a difference in actual ride experience to me. The view from the top is so short either place, it doesn't really play a major factor to me either... I confess that I love CP, and it's my favorite Amusement Park! However, I don't consider myself an unreasonable fanboy. Hence...

Personally I have a hard time picking a favorite, but I lean towards Kingda Ka.

I too, lean towards Kingda Ka, over Dragster, given its superior speed, height, and the extra hill after the drop. Plus, arguably my favorite color scheme of any coaster!

^ Why do you feel the need to post such gross, sexual comments constantly? Don't you think the one you posted 4 hours ago was enough? It's getting creepy, tbh. Just something to think about in the future, I guess.

I still cannot even imagine what a 205 ft 90* drop would feel like in the last row... It's pretty ridiculous.

Also...

I hope SteVen had a near-stop at the top, like American Eagle, etc. The anticipation and view is killer. Over the hill fast is overrated and CP has plenty of that.

Please, no. I want there to be as much airtime as possible

Seriously? Its just a funny picture.

"Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site,

if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!"

^ Why do you feel the need to post such gross, sexual comments constantly? Don't you think the one you posted 4 hours ago was enough? It's getting creepy, tbh. Just something to think about in the future, I guess.

I mean...

Seriously? Its just a funny picture.

"Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site,

if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!"

Yep. That about sum's it up.

--------------------------

Not to mention I'm not posting "gross, sexual comments constantly." The first one I posted is a "SMILIE" that is supplied by THIS site (A smilie that most people just realize is there to be humorous.) The second image is an image that has been posted on this site hundreds of times by dozens of different people, that is simply again intended to be humorous about how much people freak out over new coaster construction.

Just something to think about in the future, I guess.