TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

...Does anyone know how long it takes to install all the sensors and electronics on a ride? Or more specifically, how long it has taken for some of the other RMC conversions?

Exactly 32 days 3 hours 9 minutes and 17 seconds.

-UNLESS-

It rains... Then it's:

Exactly 33 days 3 hours 9 minutes and 17 seconds.

...Does anyone know how long it takes to install all the sensors and electronics on a ride? Or more specifically, how long it has taken for some of the other RMC conversions?

Exactly 32 days 3 hours 9 minutes and 17 seconds.

-UNLESS-

It rains... Then it's:

Exactly 33 days 3 hours 9 minutes and 17 seconds.

Actually, everything is complete and they started testing today! They are on schedule to open SV to the public this weekend- Team 2017!

^Anyone have time to do a "before and after" pic of the lift height? That would be incredible to see.

I'm not sure how one would go about this as you really can't get out to the point to take a pic of the new top off for reference.

I would put something together if I knew how, but I'm afraid, I'm not that well versed in that sort of thing.

RMC is really pushing the limits. How many other full circuit coasters have a 90 degree drop with 6+ car trains? I can't think of any, and for next year RMC is building three!

Good point. SV is the type of rollercoaster people use to make on Rollercoaster Tycoon that you never think a real park would make. I am so excited! lol

^Anyone have time to do a "before and after" pic of the lift height?

I've been searching the interwebs for a picture of Old Mean Streak that would give us a similar angle to the New Mean Streak Webcam Grab... and I'm not finding anything that would make a good comparison.

Maybe someone else will have better luck!

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/36477879/did-cedar-points-top-thrill-dragster-have-a-potentially-dangerous-incident-recently

news article on Top Thrill Dragster's catch car incident.

Kingda Ka had a similar incident when it opened in 2005. A bolt failed inside a trough that the launch cable travels through. This caused the liner to come loose creating friction on the cable and preventing the train from accelerating to the correct speed. The rubbing of the cable against the inside of the metal trough caused sparks and shards of metal to fly out from the bottom of the train. The launch cable and brake fins had to be replaced.

NJ inspectors forced Great Adventure to modify the queue line away from the launch track (it went under the track and zigzagged through the infield) for safety reasons. If that incident didn't occur, and how cautious inspectors have been to the ride since, people in the coaster forums might consider Kingda Ka as the better strata-coaster.

Given Cedar Point's maintenance record, I don't think the coaster will face a steady demise, but it looks like a complete refurbishment of the launch track is coming. The park has got a long winter ahead of them.

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/36477879/did-cedar-points-top-thrill-dragster-have-a-potentially-dangerous-incident-recently

Kingda Ka had a similar incident when it opened in 2005. A bolt failed inside a trough that the launch cable travels through. This caused the liner to come loose creating friction on the cable and preventing the train from accelerating to the correct speed. The rubbing of the cable against the inside of the metal trough caused sparks and shards of metal to fly out from the bottom of the train. The launch cable and brake fins had to be replaced.

NJ inspectors forced Great Adventure to modify the queue line away from the launch track (it went under the track and zigzagged through the infield) for safety reasons. If that incident didn't occur, and how cautious inspectors have been to the ride since, people in the coaster forums might consider Kingda Ka as the better strata-coaster.

Given Cedar Point's maintenance record, I don't think the coaster will face a steady demise, but it looks like a complete refurbishment of the launch track is coming. The park has got a long winter ahead of them.

For the record, I’ve seen more people say they enjoy dragster than Kingda Ka based on the fact that Dragsters launch is much less shakey.

Lets hope Ohio isnt as stuck up as freaking NJ. Also where would the queue line go if they have to reroute it? On one side you have a lagoon and on the other is the main midway.

^ It's quite a wide section of the midway walkway, right there beside TTD.

I know they have room on the midway side for longer lines on both sides

of the coaster's tracks. But there's possibly a bit of extra room there for

adjustments if the launch and/or return track change somewhat.

I do hope it is solved, figured out, rebuilt (or whatever), and everybody gets TTD back!

PIC-Dragster.jpg.d704c1ca2a5e925054febbef578c424f.jpg

Me and Bert's Pop-The-Cherry Run on TTD. And poor Bert really hurt one of his arms, right there, in that 2nd pic.

So, I've been thinking about this incident and how much it resembles a "rumor" of a similar incident during testing many years back. (Take this as you want, but...)

Rumor has it:

Many years ago, during testing the catch car brakes "failed" as in something happened which kept the catch car from stopping, causing it to come up and out of the trough. . . The gold train, which was being launched when this happened, rolled back and hit the catch car that was sticking up... Causing the majority of the bottom of the train destroyed. Which resulted in a lot of the train to be rebuilt... as a result the train is heavier than the rest, which is one if the reasons the gold train is more prone to rollbacks, and has the nickname "Rollie Goldie."

Again, take that as you will... Just a rumor that I've heard from many different Cedar Point employees who at some point have operated TTD.

So if this is in fact the second time this, or a similar, incident has happened I could see the park taking a more serious approach to fixing it. I'm not saying they are removing TTD. (Because obviously the park isn't going to do that, and I'm not dumb enough to believe a rumor that they will.) But maybe they will come up with a better more effect launch system? That being said, I don't know if LSM's, or LIM's can achieve the acceleration TTD needs though.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, happens as a result of this.